Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Niarja - Go use WurmNode!

Personally I like the idea of being able to see where you rank based on time using your STP ranking system, it no doubt puts me up higher in the rankings .. but I don't like that it is now the only (and default) way to veiw the 'top players' on Niarja. Maybe it's just my personal opinion, maybe there's logic .. But I think that it should be an optional, secondary way to view players rank and the default should be number of skill points.. No other game, no other ranking system I have ever seen has players ranked based on time taken to get the skill points .. including many other games that have varied rates of skill gain in different skills .. Maybe it's just alien to me to see rankings done that way and I'll come to like it but I am opposed to it currently. I'd like to see the ranking return to skill point based, with a button to click that changes the ranks to STP ranking system as secondary .. .. Just my 2 cents thanks for reading.

Well was thinking ok catching Noizhead will be a pita but doable, then along came dadd and blew that dream away.

Very nice numbers both of you.

Well Cerber guess I'm gunning for you : P

Wow I see what you mean. You guys have incredible accounts. I might start saving up in case one of you ever decide to sell up :)

Yes, that's a very interesting addition. Looks like STP may have gotten a few players to come out of hiding :)

In case any of you don't know dadd - that's a completely legit skill dump!

Edited by Chakron

8 hours ago, Chakron said:

In case any of you don't know dadd - that's a completely legit skill dump!

I don't know dadd but that did cross my mind. Top effort !!

Do you think he would ever sell?

Edited by Senitor

Great work as always Chakron!

I have a few more ideas/suggestions:

• When you click on a skill and shows you the evolution graph - have a direct link to the top 50 in that skill already (because most common scenario is to see how long till you go up a rank in that skill, so needing to switch between char page and general page and then search for that skill is quite a bit more complicated) OR have an excerpt (+/- 10 ranks relative to your level shown directly there in the Skill Detail View)
  • Another plea for mass skill dump upload, please? - hehe
  • And lastly, a way for Niarja Live to remember my settings when I am logged in (Servers to display, instead of always defaulting to All Servers)

Thank you for all your hard work!

Thor

Okay. 

sQUHA1r.png

Going live on Thursday or Friday.

-I rewrote most of the skill upload process. Mostly this means I fixed a few bugs where uploads would fail mysteriously but still insert partial skill dump information into the database.

-You can upload basically as many skill dumps as you want simultaneously. 1000+ is fine.

-A problem with one skill dump won't interrupt the others. It'll call out the problem with that specific dump then move on to other files.

-Niarja will automatically dedupe skill dumps that were taken at different times on the same day. Don't think about it too hard - just throw 4000 skill dumps into the uploader and let Niarja figure it out.

-Manage characters page has been updated to help people manage a larger number of skill dumps. I still think it's ugly but maybe it'll be nice later.

I'll lay out future plans once this is pushed out.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2016 at 3:58 AM, Unknown said:

Personally I like the idea of being able to see where you rank based on time using your STP ranking system, it no doubt puts me up higher in the rankings .. but I don't like that it is now the only (and default) way to veiw the 'top players' on Niarja. Maybe it's just my personal opinion, maybe there's logic .. But I think that it should be an optional, secondary way to view players rank and the default should be number of skill points.. No other game, no other ranking system I have ever seen has players ranked based on time taken to get the skill points .. including many other games that have varied rates of skill gain in different skills .. Maybe it's just alien to me to see rankings done that way and I'll come to like it but I am opposed to it currently. I'd like to see the ranking return to skill point based, with a button to click that changes the ranks to STP ranking system as secondary .. .. Just my 2 cents thanks for reading.

I'm looking into better ways to do this.

"No other game, no other ranking system I have ever seen has players ranked based on time taken to get the skill point"

EVE Online does that. Niarja's old "skill points" ranking system is very loosely inspired by that.

The only issue with the STP system I've found thus far, is the low value for both Religion and Channeling.

It may have something to do with the fact that Channeling is listed as a 4000 difficulty modifier, which doesn't capture the actual difficulty of the skill. (No imping, fixed difficulties, fixed timers, no access to CoC, very limited capability to create a sweet spot.)

You're essentially counting it the same as Blacksmithing, despite having none of the advantages. It's effectively a slower Creation Skill without access to CoC items.

It could be listed as a 2000 difficulty modifier, and still be twice as difficult as Blacksmithing is.

Edited by Dairuka

I agree. What's a good value - do you think x2?

I'm biased, so I'd be a bad judge.

If you want my opinion though. I'd say it's three times slower than blacksmithing, but twice as fast as weaponsmithing. I personally put it on par with Metallurgy. Channeling levels similarly to a creation skill.

Edited by Dairuka

I'll run it by some people who know better than me.

Oh look, bulk skill dump uploading is live.

7,524 skill dumps submitted and parsed halfway through the first day.

thanks for the bulk upload. Now I'll stress your site I think with my folder of dumps :D

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

thanks for the bulk upload. Now I'll stress your site I think with my folder of dumps :D

Feel feel to try. Niarja has already processed over 10,000 skill dump files.

A lot of people are uploading lots of skill dumps! That's really cool. Looking at your skill graphs, some of you have sharp dips. That can be because skill dumps...kinda screw up sometimes. Luckily, that's easy to fix. On your "Manage Characters" page, the table with all of your skill dumps is sortable. Click on the "Skill Points" column to sort it ascending/descending, find your bad skill dumps, and delete them.

Edited by Chakron

Done with a lot of dumps yesterday. I have experiencd the spikes to zero, this is happening where the daily skilldump is just the header but empty (suppose it is a client crash).

Best to open the dump folder on your computer before you upload it, sort and delete the files with very small size (35, 53 bytes or so - don't remember, sorry :S)

Chakron, maybe a check could be implemented to discard files under 100 bytes? Those are surely bogus ones.

I'll most likely add something to discard small files. Might also quickly "clean up" everyone's bad entries.

From the 1k+ dumps I had i sorted them all by size first and deleted all files that were 1kb big...the regular files should have between 5-7kb.

Then I uploaded - no issues found here

Just a small request.. The list where all the "snapshots" are. Would it be possible to make it, so you can open characters skillsheet from each individual upload? Just to see what the skills were for example two years ago.

That wouldn't be too difficult. I'll take a look this weekend.

Rifts have been added to Niarja Live.

Rifts are new and it's clear the developers are still working some things out, so initial tweets might look weird. They should settle down once Rifts settle down.

The tweets also don't get very specific. I can only call out when a Rift first appears, and when it closes. There doesn't appear to be a tweet for when a Rift goes active.

• Like 1

Is it possible to add STB to the skill compare window of a single chracter.