Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Niarja - Go use WurmNode!

Chakron, 6/5 for explaining the tech stack behind Niarja and being pro-handing it over to able hands!

I was also thinking that in this hand-over of hosting Niarja it could be made into open source project allowing all aspiring programming wurmians to contribute to code-wise. Ofc respecting the aspect of user data being solely held by those responsible of hosting the service.

Back in days I was building a service similar to Niarja. Back then I was then introduced to Niarja by fellow players and because Niarja was so good, I ceased any effort trying to make my own service... and on top of that, I am more of systems programmer than a front-end or "full stack" dev so I was eagerly happy not to go forth learning more about the front-end. ;)

Anyhow.. these days theres so much more integration possibilities like running a Discord bot in the backend which would make it possible to allow people to request lists, leaderboards, skillgraphs etc from within the discord aswell... or even like uploads holding the reaching 100 skill level to be automatically announced by the Discord bot... theres so many ideas, which could possibly be added to the service would it be open sourced.

Anyway, its just an idea I just got and I opened about that idea here. :)

I really liked Niarja specifically because it didn’t use discord or other social media like platforms.  Sad day for the few of us not doing the social media thing (outside wurm forum ofc)

• Like 3

On 9/6/2022 at 4:40 AM, Chakron said:

Well, it's been fun.

Niarja has been around since...at least 2015? I think a simplified version existed before then, but it's hard to remember now. I played Wurm at a very different time in my life. That's over now - I have no interest in the game, have no idea what's going on, and probably couldn't name a single developer if I tried. Niarja is very cheap to run (free) but there are still responsibilities such as performing security and backend upgrades on a regular basis. I've kept it running for 4-5 years past my "don't care" point, but I'm done now.

I'm still very impressed by how many people have enjoyed the tool and talk about it on the forums or in the official Wurm Discord. It's going away, but I'm confident someone will be able to create a new and better version that has all the features I never bothered adding.

All aspects of Niarja.com will shut down on October 1st, 2022. If you've used Niarja Skill Compare before, your "Manage Characters" page now contains a link to download all of your skill uploads into a single CSV file. Whatever tool exists in the future should be able to consume that file and get you caught up.

Chakron, Thank you very much for this wonderful resource. It is very simple and convenient to use. We hope that there will be enthusiasts and they will be engaged in support. But it is better if the developers of the game intercept such an initiative. It will be just wonderful! You are cool!

p.s.
Just imagine 😃 An internal rating system in which you can give access through a checkmark in the character profile settings: enter your data into the overall rating system.

Edited by FreeLikeTheWind

On 6/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Was trying to register an account,  was the scene right after entering your info

Thought the horse was a capcha at first till it exploded

On 9/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, Chakron said:

Well, it's been fun.

Niarja has been around since...at least 2015? I think a simplified version existed before then, but it's hard to remember now. I played Wurm at a very different time in my life. That's over now - I have no interest in the game, have no idea what's going on, and probably couldn't name a single developer if I tried. Niarja is very cheap to run (free) but there are still responsibilities such as performing security and backend upgrades on a regular basis. I've kept it running for 4-5 years past my "don't care" point, but I'm done now.

I'm still very impressed by how many people have enjoyed the tool and talk about it on the forums or in the official Wurm Discord. It's going away, but I'm confident someone will be able to create a new and better version that has all the features I never bothered adding.

All aspects of Niarja.com will shut down on October 1st, 2022. If you've used Niarja Skill Compare before, your "Manage Characters" page now contains a link to download all of your skill uploads into a single CSV file. Whatever tool exists in the future should be able to consume that file and get you caught up.

tenor.gif

Oh God I should have tried to save that horse 

On 9/6/2022 at 3:40 AM, Chakron said:

Niarja has been around since...at least 2015?

First half of 2013 according to the deed funding dates. Almost made it 10 years 😄

On 9/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, Ekcin said:

Question: Given that someone like Sklo is ready to migrate/reverse engineer Niarja service, would it be possible to postpone the closure past Oct 1 which seems to be a very strict deadline for a new service? If this is a matter of cost, would it be a possibility to set up a collection to cover them if necessary?

Especially since the fact I still cant seem to download my skill info and a lot of the stuff on there I have since lost(older dumps are still nice to look at)

* deleted, question already answered*

Edited by Tairon

On 9/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, Chakron said:

No one has ever asked me what that weird Niarja word means. Yes, I bought the domain a long time ago to track ganking activity in Niarja. Never ended up making an app, but still had the domain so I reused it. Some good times were had in Niarja a very long time ago.

###### I have played EVE for 13+ years and I didn't notice ....

downloading the export is little broken right now

If you are the administrator of this website, then please read this web application's log file and/or the web server's log file to find out what went wrong.

Thank you for keeping the site up for so long after stopping playing, it's a great tool I use all the time. All the best to you!

Edit: Never picked up where the name came from, and I have bumped freighters in Niarja :P

Edited by Rusk

The skill dump download was implemented quickly, looks like there is a bug. I’ll figure that out tonight, thanks.

• Like 2

@Chakron

I have absolutely loved this site. has so much info even for new things coming to the game. Will be sorry to see it go.

I think I have all my skill files still, however trying to download then we get:

500 Internal Server Error
If you are the administrator of this website, then please read this web application's log file and/or the web server's log file to find out what went wrong.

Thank you for all you efforts and hanging in there so long after your interest completely waned.  I began my wurm adventure in 2021 and your creation made all the difference in establishing a better understanding of my new world ^.^   Best Wishes in your future endeavors.  Thank you again!

Is that an Asheron's call life stone?   .  i so miss that game as you may be able to see my icon has been an olthoi for well over 10 yrs

thanks for the site. I used it for deed falling info. 

On 9/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, Sklo:D said:

Let us know how you decided. I should have the time to move it away from AWS to make sure it can be hosted easier starting from mid October. Definitly willing to try if you have no one who is fitting better. 

I've seen Sklo solve some really difficult problems in Wurm, specifically with the WU code.  I don't know who all the others are that might want to take a crack at this, but I can't imagine Sklo not having great success with the project.

I have absolutely loved this tool and when NFI was started, it was so exciting to run compares daily, to see how I stacked up to the competition for best farmer, LW, rope maker, etc.  This tool is such a big part of Wurm for me now.  It would be so sad to see it gone.

Thank you for keeping it going so many years!

• Like 1

I wanted to chime in and join all the others lining up to say thank you for creating and keeping this resource running for so long; like so many of the player-created tools and trackers, we often take for granted that they're there without much active thought to the work and maintenance behind them - it's a tool I use/used daily during busy periods and that historical deed data has been wonderful for archaeology, for nostalgia and for helping me track down half-remembered player and deed names over the years. We appreciate you and your creation - thanks so much for all your work over the years. ❤️

On 9/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, SmackedDown said:

@Chakron

I have absolutely loved this site. has so much info even for new things coming to the game. Will be sorry to see it go.

I think I have all my skill files still, however trying to download then we get:

500 Internal Server Error

I as well.

Thanks for keeping Niarja around, it's been a great tool. All the best in your future endeavours!

On 9/15/2022 at 7:26 PM, Fearil said:

I as well.

Thanks for keeping Niarja around, it's been a great tool. All the best in your future endeavours!

I've tried downloading with both Firefox and Chrome browsers, I still get the same error.

I was scanning the posts above in the thread and wasn't sure if I saw any talk of keeping the data Niarja has, as far as player ranks, skills, etc. Is all of that data able to be kept or handed off somehow if it's not too much trouble? It would be a shame to lose all this historical data forever. Starting up with newer tracking is great in a sense, such as with Wurmnode, in that it's a more current batch of players we are ranking and tracking. But still having access to historic records, such as what Niarja has, would be indispensable to the annals of pre-Wurmnode total Wurm history.

• Like 2

Skill download error still persisting (firefox, waterfox, yandex), anything new about?

• Like 2

I'll properly fix the download link by this weekend. Sorry, I have been exceptionally busy.

• Like 4

With the few people willing to take it over could there not be  a collaboration so it is not over to one person to run but rather a team of very able people working together for the greater good! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maximusi said:

With the few people willing to take it over could there not be  a collaboration so it is not over to one person to run but rather a team of very able people working together for the greater good!

So, like Wurm taking it over?