Sign in to follow this  
Countess

The "Wurm" Effect

As I began to play this game, the following came to mind. 

The Wurm Effect 

Def

The unique influence each individual experiences while playing Wurm Online. The full extend of its effects is yet unknown, but appears to be different for each person involved. It is known to contribute to Borderline Disorder, as it creates a multitude of opposite feelings within a brief amount of time, leaving the individual in a state of anger, happiness, frustration or satisfaction. It is also known to help individuals under the influence of conditions such as Depression to improve their mental health, as it creates a friendly environment and offers a purpose to getting up in the morning. The effects of the "Wurm Effect" include addiction to the game, the urge to spend money on it, the feeling of importance when ingame decisions have been made, the strong motivation when beginning a new project, and the ability to push aside negative feelings and to keep going even beyond your usual limits. The individual effects become more clear when the player encounters situations that exceed their normal range of frustration. While few can escape its influence, the severity of the effect experienced depends on each individual player. Kicking in after only days, sometimes weeks, it is a dangerous condition affecting the vast majority of all Wurm Online players. The most dangerous part of the game includes coming back to it each and every time even after having "left for good". 

Temp:

The influence of the effect is currently known to be the strongest on Xanadu, as severe ingame lag, causing frustration, anger, loss of items/animals, or even death, can be experienced on an everyday basis. 

Well, this is as far as I got. I thought it was stupid to think this at first, but who can deny this? I have been in for a few days, almost everyone I know has "Quit For Good" multiple times and yet is still playing for me to meet, and I have already spent more money on this game within days than I have spent on other games within years of playing, and I do not think it is going to stop. 

So I ask you, are you suffering from this condition? Because I know that I am.

• Like 5

No, I am not suffering from your imagined mental instability condition. This may indeed be the Wurm world as you perceive it and yet you have hit on one point that rings true, each person's experience within the game is unique to their own personality, even if some common themes run through it.

I find that because of Wurm's sandbox environment of shaping the lands within one's own land claim (deed), that this translates the game into a closer reflection of real life communities and dwelling places. Then this leads to relations with neighbors, which again reflects their own personality in the outside world. Add in the ability to make money from playing the game and this again ties it more to real life goals.

Basically with these ties into real life experiences, although Wurm is a diversion, I am not surprised that people within the game act and react in a similar manner within and without it. With this in mind, I don't see this game transforming anyone into anything other than what they already are.

Possibly your post is partially in jest but this is what comes to my mind from reading it; thus, I would label it the Wurm *reflection* rather than "effect".

=Ayes=

• Like 1

No, I am not suffering from your imagined mental instability condition. This may indeed be the Wurm world as you perceive it and yet you have hit on one point that rings true, each person's experience within the game is unique to their own personality, even if some common themes run through it.

I find that because of Wurm's sandbox environment of shaping the lands within one's own land claim (deed), that this translates the game into a closer reflection of real life communities and dwelling places. Then this leads to relations with neighbors, which again reflects their own personality in the outside world. Add in the ability to make money from playing the game and this again ties it more to real life goals.

Basically with these ties into real life experiences, although Wurm is a diversion, I am not surprised that people within the game act and react in a similar manner within and without it. With this in mind, I don't see this game transforming anyone into anything other than what they already are.

Possibly your post is partially in jest but this is what comes to my mind from reading it; thus, I would label it the Wurm *reflection* rather than "effect".

=Ayes=

Wow, I did not at all mean this in a serious matter. I was just trying to describe how me and my friends seem to get addicted to Wurm and figured many people are. It is just a fun post, nothing to be taken serious in any way.

• Like 1

I find it most interesting that you begin Wurm with no actual direction (no 'main quest' and no 'go here, do this' busy work when you spawn), yet there is more to keep busy than you could possibly accomplish; not even a set 'goal' or way to win.

Pretend there are no numbers/stats, do whatever you like to do in the world, and the skills happen automatically. Do what you do, and you get better at it. This is why the world is so deep and engrosing; you play as if you live there.

I don't experience frustrations, as you describe them, but I often have so many things to do that I feel slightly overwhelmed deciding which is priority, or what efficient order of work/travel will help next. If someone needs to "quit for good" then they may need to consider easing their work load in order to enjoy some exploration or leisurely sight-seeing.

I sometimes must remind myself that the experience of enjoying the game's atmosphere is more important than work/training, because if you have to quit due to stress you are not enjoying Wurm to begin with.

• Like 4

As I began to play this game, the following came to mind. 

The Wurm Effect 

Def

The unique influence each individual experiences while playing Wurm Online. The full extend of its effects is yet unknown, but appears to be different for each person involved. It is known to contribute to Borderline Disorder, as it creates a multitude of opposite feelings within a brief amount of time, leaving the individual in a state of anger, happiness, frustration or satisfaction. It is also known to help individuals under the influence of conditions such as Depression to improve their mental health, as it creates a friendly environment and offers a purpose to getting up in the morning. The effects of the "Wurm Effect" include addiction to the game, the urge to spend money on it, the feeling of importance when ingame decisions have been made, the strong motivation when beginning a new project, and the ability to push aside negative feelings and to keep going even beyond your usual limits. The individual effects become more clear when the player encounters situations that exceed their normal range of frustration. While few can escape its influence, the severity of the effect experienced depends on each individual player. Kicking in after only days, sometimes weeks, it is a dangerous condition affecting the vast majority of all Wurm Online players. The most dangerous part of the game includes coming back to it each and every time even after having "left for good". 

Temp:

The influence of the effect is currently known to be the strongest on Xanadu, as severe ingame lag, causing frustration, anger, loss of items/animals, or even death, can be experienced on an everyday basis. 

Well, this is as far as I got. I thought it was stupid to think this at first, but who can deny this? I have been in for a few days, almost everyone I know has "Quit For Good" multiple times and yet is still playing for me to meet, and I have already spent more money on this game within days than I have spent on other games within years of playing, and I do not think it is going to stop. 

So I ask you, are you suffering from this condition? Because I know that I am.

Why call it "The Wurm Effect"?

What you described is just everyday gaming compulsion.

• Like 1

Wow, I did not at all mean this in a serious matter. I was just trying to describe how me and my friends seem to get addicted to Wurm and figured many people are. It is just a fun post, nothing to be taken serious in any way.

But the topic is a serious one.

If you have an addictive personality, you can easily get wrapped up in video games. You can get addicted to anything that gets the dopamine receptors inside your head spraying.

Addicts always need one vice. That's why in a 12 step program, they encourage you to keep one of your addictions while trying to shed the others. Usually, it's something like video games or cigarettes that you're told is "okay".

I know you're taking it as a light-hearted thing, but addiction is as serious as any other mental disorder, including depression and obsessive/compulsive behavior. It's not something that should be thrown around lightly in a joking matter, like people typically do with both of the disorders I just listed.

Now, personally.... am I addicted to this game/place? Yeah, I am. Is it healthy? No. Is it healthier than consuming any narcotic that comes my way for the sake of "escape"? For the most part, yes. 

Game on!

• Like 3

Now, personally.... am I addicted to this game/place? Yeah, I am. Is it healthy? No. Is it healthier than consuming any narcotic that comes my way for the sake of "escape"? For the most part, yes. 

Game on!

Nice xD +1

Gaming addiction is much better than most other addictions, because you can 'go deeper' and actually 'forge' it into something useful.

In my case... Well, I was unconsciously creating games and utilities since very young age (games on paper with very strict rules), later in programs like RPG Maker and Playcrafter, shell scripts and - mostly thanks to Wurm and Minecraft in a smaller degree - in Java and now in Unity as well (I tried UE4 as well, but C++ is just ancient artifact not suitable ro write games in it nowadays).

Edited by Warlander
  • Like 1

Hello my name is Becket and I am a Wurm addict.

[05:38:54] You have played 791 days, 13 hours and 7 minutes.

So what is the clinical definition for when I am happy and annoyed at the same time? I have only had the experience

while playing Wurm, it happens when I am almost done imping an item to put on a merchant and it goes rare.

I'm happy that I got the rare but annoyed I have to make the item again.

• Like 4