Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 15

Except that its just one side that iwll always not have that, and the other will.

Thats not a change in approach, thats what people will do, and thats what people have complained about for the past two years.

When you attend HOTA, your enemy essentially has 30-40x your HP because they have horses, which basically means you will lose, every time.

How do you expect to catch up to someone in a boat without land to help you?

I think here you are talking about the 'no room for pmk' assumption.  IF 100% of population lives on center island, then maybe it gets too crowded, maybe not.  Who is to say that a central island can not be crowded?  perhaps a very crowded central island with uncrowded outer islands will be good for the long term health of epic.  That being said, i am sure those who like their space and hunting will move to outer islands, those who like to hota a bunch and raid will move to center island. It is silly to say that it will be too crowded and also say it will be too hard to find pvp and raids.  

as far as catching people on a boat, I don't see many boat battles taking place, though that is probably a good thing.

I think here you are talking about the 'no room for pmk' assumption.  IF 100% of population lives on center island, then maybe it gets too crowded, maybe not.  Who is to say that a central island can not be crowded?  perhaps a very crowded central island with uncrowded outer islands will be good for the long term health of epic.  That being said, i am sure those who like their space and hunting will move to outer islands, those who like to hota a bunch and raid will move to center island. It is silly to say that it will be too crowded and also say it will be too hard to find pvp and raids.  

as far as catching people on a boat, I don't see many boat battles taking place, though that is probably a good thing.

I don't think you know how the tower blocking thing works.

Template kingdoms can drop a deed, when they do that, its 250 tiles in each direction you can not cap towers, they can build a tower and you cannot build a tower within quite a long distance of that one without capping or bashing it.

Not to mention the WL/BL's restrictions, and the fact the starter deeds have the same 250 tile block as template kingdoms.

This is all beside the fact the majority of players dont like to raid, nor do they like to do HOTA. They do HOTA because Moonmetals are a huge advantage. It's a necessity, not for fun. Especially if you don't have the most numbers. (hint, PMK's won't have the most numbers, ever. not to mention that the game will inherently restrict them from being able to really set up and participate in HOTA like the template kingdoms can due to the starter deeds and WL/BL being in such close proximity.)

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

, those who like to hota a bunch and raid will move to center island. 

Good thing nobody likes doing either of those.

Im just going to ignore this guys post's for now on. 

I'm with Hexproof,Entendu,Pidgeoni,Jock,Omar,Klaa,Mauros,trepper,cccdfern,unsleep,lorena,slickshot,teosen,Hankrearden,uberknot and all the others that i left out :(   I like this map.

wow thats a decent amount of ppl that sorta like this map :)

Unlike the other haters, I am glad you mentioned me in this context.  I DO like the map! :D

I don't think you know how the tower blocking thing works.

Template kingdoms can drop a deed, when they do that, its 250 tiles in each direction you can not cap towers, they can build a tower and you cannot build a tower within quite a long distance of that one without capping or bashing it.

Not to mention the WL/BL's restrictions, and the fact the starter deeds have the same 250 tile block as template kingdoms.

I am aware of tower blocky thing.  That center island is bigger than you are making it out to be, there will be plenty of room at the beginning for pmk or two.  A year or two down the road perhaps a pmk will need 10 knarrs full of dirt and a long bridge, or is that asking too much?

Good thing nobody likes doing either of those.

Im just going to ignore this guys post's for now on. 

now you are just arguing semantics.  switch out like with 'choose to focus on' and you get the meaning. jeez

I am aware of tower blocky thing.  That center island is bigger than you are making it out to be, there will be plenty of room at the beginning for pmk or two.  A year or two down the road perhaps a pmk will need 10 knarrs full of dirt and a long bridge, or is that asking too much?

It really isn't.

Even if no one lived on the central island at all, and a pmk came along trying to set up there they would only have a few spots in the far corners (really only the ne and sw ones) that it is actually possible for them to deed. You could also try to squeeze a deed in the space right off the north side of hota.

Since people are going to live there, that makes the chances of a pmk being able to make a deed near 0.

If a crowded central island is good for the long term health of epic, why create a new map, you already have elevation and uncrowded home servers.

The central island is too crowded to have a chance of catching anyone offguard without the rest of their kingdom being there and has invincible starter deeds.

The outer islands require you to sail for hours and the chances of coming across someone will be very low.

You say that you like the map because it changes the meta, yet somehow the change to boat combat and the fact that it is impossible to catch another boat of the same size with the same people unless the other boat is captained by an idiot is a good thing.

Is your new pvp meta that you want not having any pvp at all?

• Like 1

Ur welcome slick =] i do too :) 

far as the comment pmks will never have more numbers... league of pirates as i remember were king of the seas =] they decimated some of mrh until they quit... and even KoT orwhatever when they were formed had the numbers... in fact if i remember right just days after forming it they were attacked by a join force of all 3 kingdoms? and i remember lots of boasting that no one even got in range to fire a catapult... lots of active ppl in that... Fact didnt lomaner have the numbers? i thought they did... maybe i was wrong... most "new" pmks i think always have the numbers and are usually formed by people who really want to pvp... I think the land mass IS big enough for atleast a couple pmks but once the central island is secured with many towers i do think it will be near impossible for a pmk to start up there without it being pretty inactive... then again i remember many nights logging in and being the only soul on elevation sooooo who knows. =] 

Ur welcome slick =] i do too :)

far as the comment pmks will never have more numbers... league of pirates as i remember were king of the seas =] they decimated some of mrh until they quit... and even KoT orwhatever when they were formed had the numbers... in fact if i remember right just days after forming it they were attacked by a join force of all 3 kingdoms? and i remember lots of boasting that no one even got in range to fire a catapult... lots of active ppl in that... Fact didnt lomaner have the numbers? i thought they did... maybe i was wrong... most "new" pmks i think always have the numbers and are usually formed by people who really want to pvp... I think the land mass IS big enough for atleast a couple pmks but once the central island is secured with many towers i do think it will be near impossible for a pmk to start up there without it being pretty inactive... then again i remember many nights logging in and being the only soul on elevation sooooo who knows. =] 

When you're the only Dark Soul online on Elevation, do you see the other souls of the dead around you?  Do you yell echo into the darkness and only hear your voice in return?  Do tell.

There will always be enough room for a pmk near the center as long as they have enough dirt and bridges show up.

Is your new pvp meta that you want not having any pvp at all?

of course not that would be horrible.  TBH i dont know what the new meta will look like.  neither do any of you.  Just because what we dont know what the new meta will evolve to does not mean one will not evolve.  It might not even be a better meta, but it beats the comfortable path to mediocre and stale pvp.  unless most people want the comfortable path to ruin, then just let rolf milk you all out of another year or two of subs and guard costs before everyone realizes something needs to change (again).

I do agree Krag that in the center island i dont think you will catch anyone off guard... =] and ppl may try to run and hide in starter deeds... but i dont think that will work for some reason.... or maybe rolf can change how those work eventually or just move them... maybe put the starter deeds on an island or something with water that ppl cant modify... who knows... use a bridge ? =] 

I do think the actual fighting of pvp will work on that island though and pmks havent really been a popular thing for quite some time ;/ not on epic anyways... I think if a pmk is forced to start on the outside that can work too... in fact it could cover a higher % of land by being on the outside than the inside don't you think? You are right though that they will be disadvantaged when it comes to hota and dying...i still dont see many ppl rushing back into combat after dying though... but maybe... perhaps that would make the fights last longer and feel more contested... might make pvp more fun if it took you a few "deaths" and "trips" before the engagement was over... its not fun when ur the first one dead in combat and u have to spawn back at strongbox and have no "easy" way to get back into combat :( id personally rather die outside my deed and "try" to get my body and continue fighting... perhaps military tents or canopys will have an added use? or some new feature rolf can add =] 

I have faith in rolf =]

This is now a post your own maps thread.

2h7qgyt.png

HIGHLIGHTS:

• Removed middle of the ocean mountains replacing them with regular, flatter islands. A couple mountain-ish islands remain because variety.
  • Moved landmasses closer together eliminating high volume of un-used ocean space.
  • Added to the 'home' landmasses allowing easier access to 'HoTA' island with slight player modification, or not if they so choose.
  • Removed forward NPC starter deeds.
  • Added about 30 islands to the SE because it looks cool.

This obviously isn't 100% serious however I personally think it actually fixes the majority of the problems, whilst remaining in the general idea of what I think rolf was going for.

• Like 5

At this rate, let's just remove water and have new ele as just one mega flatgrass with some mountains.

im kind of confused with the opposing positions from 2 staff members on the news about the map status.

is the first a post that was aknowkedging player input, and possible redo after talking to

office? or is the second one? is the second one a correction on the first one or a retraction?

are they talking to the same source? or to each other? or how do we even know who

to believe for wurm news?  i dont even know whats going on.

like usual. expect the unexpected with wurm  ( crappy map, if i wasnt clear )

My post was to set out what would happen if the map was re-designed and I was probing whether the community would be ok with that. It was hypothetical.

But I also said that there is no confirmation that it was going to happen because I had not heard back from Rolf.

Retrograde's post clarified this by saying until it is formally announced (by myself or Rolf) there is no official change of plans - the map is to be released as described in the news post unless Rolf or I make a further announcement which says something different in no uncertain terms.

• Like 2

so since everything is going ahead as planned, when can we expect elevation to go offline? 10 hours from now? more or less, appreciate it thanks!

Ok so aside from all the people having their say with no intention of ever playing on elevation, something I am curious about:

How long until this map gets reset?

• Like 1

Ok so aside from all the people having their say with no intention of ever playing on elevation, something I am curious about:

How long until this map gets reset?

There are no plans to reset whichever map replaces Elevation.

If never means three years then no plans probably will mean roughly half that then thanks ;)

If never means three years then no plans probably will mean roughly half that then thanks ;)

Elevation is not being reset just because it has been around for three years so there is no link to be made in the way you are suggesting.

The reset is for reasons published in previous news posts and in response to feedback.

• Like 1

Soooo, what time is the server going down?

Soooo, what time is the server going down?

I have not been given a specific ETA for that yet sorry.