Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 15

. Why would you keep on with this map after seeing the extremely obvious disgust and hate towards the new map?

Ur giving the answer urself ;)

Edited by LorenaMontana
  • Like 1

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAzvUt60Uc

has rolf fixed invisible boats and or the desync yet?

• Like 3

1.  The main thing is that you are REQUIRED to sail to go anywhere, and those sail times are obscene(and much longer than I assumed, but I haven't played wurm in years, they seem pretty likely now that I thought about it), going out to roam for pvp should not require 2 and a half hours of sailing.

2.  It makes it extremely difficult to roam (not even counting travel time), since you have to take enough boats to carry horses for everyone, and running into anyone is going to be even rarer than on elevation.

3.  It pretty much removes the ability to control territory, since the central island is pretty much locked down by the lights+starter deeds and deeding on someone elses starter island would just put you a long sail away from the rest of your kingdom.

1.  for starters there is no reason you need to return from a trip the same day, a longer sail time would seem to justify spending a few days in enemy lands.

2.  Another forced change in playstyle.  With this map roaming might need to be done in smaller groups or (gasp!) even solo.  With smaller groups roaming, players can do their pve hunting in smaller groups.  time will tell if this will be better or worse.

3.  Perhaps controlling territory is one of the reason epic got a little stale, impossible to imagine right now what can spring up organically and take its place.

The point I am trying to get across is that there has been little mechanical changes that will improve pvp and keep epic from getting stale again in 2-3 years. The only chance to save epic without mechanics changes is to get people to play the game differently and hope that works.  

The main complaint people have of this map is that it is not conducive to doing things the old way (which is good).

tldr: bad is actually good!

• Like 1

1.  for starters there is no reason you need to return from a trip the same day, a longer sail time would seem to justify spending a few days in enemy lands.

log out in a cave, so that you can get walled in, and a deed planted over you?

i swear to g*d freedomers should just stop posting

• Like 10

no, not to each their own, you're commenting on a map you have no experience with or any form of stake in.  i play on elevation and can say that this map isn't what Epic needs at all.

The fact that I can and will play on such a map if I so choose DOES mean that I have stake in it.  So again I'll say to you, to each their own.  I like this map.  That is my opinion of it.  Arguing with me won't change how I feel about it, nor should it.  I don't find you to be a credible source of anything, because I do not know you.  That being said, I won't be taking your overbearing opinion into consideration and instead will stick with mine.  No hard feelings, but I like what I like.

• Like 2

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAzvUt60Uc

has rolf fixed invisible boats and or the desync yet?

no.

this.

they hate us cause they ain't us.

• Like 1

Obviously if the enemy is in hot pursuit you do not just log out in a cave, that would be dumb as .

assuming someone is a freedomer because they keep a low profile is rather a rather juvenile and irrational way of trying to discredit an opinion.

in 2 sentences you managed one straw man and one instance of begging the question...

Obviously if the enemy is in hot pursuit you do not just log out in a cave, that would be dumb as ######.

assuming someone is a freedomer because they keep a low profile is rather a rather juvenile and irrational way of trying to discredit an opinion.

in 2 sentences you managed one straw man and one instance of begging the question...

1 Question.

When was your last enemy kingdom kill that wasnt on your own home server?

(note: non deathtabs dont count)

Edited by Zekezor

2 Questions.

When was your last enemy kingdom kill?

When was your last enemy kingdom kill that wasnt on your own home server?

(note: non deathtabs dont count)

I honestly do not remember.  I have been playing archage instead of wurm for a while now.  Was looking for something more from pvp than wurm had to offer.

The idea that only 'elite pvpers' can see what is wrong with the game is just absurd.  You guys are the one stuck inside status quo thinking.  You guys are upset you can not do things the same as before with a weird map, but keeping the status quo will be a guaranteed slow creep to staleness once again.  Whether the changes will make things better or worse will be hard to tell, but any change in the pvp meta is required for a chance of salvation.

• Like 1

So you dont pvp. noted.

not in the last 8 months no.  Started on wild in aug 2009, so i have been around a while, (this is not my epic acct i fight on)

1.  the only thing i am saying is the pvp world needs to change a lot,

2.  and if rolf wont drastically change mechanics, the way ppl experience pvp needs to change.

do you disagree with 1 or 2?

• Like 1

not in the last 8 months no.  Started on wild in aug 2009, so i have been around a while, (this is not my epic acct i fight on)

1.  the only thing i am saying is the pvp world needs to change a lot,

2.  and if rolf wont drastically change mechanics, the way ppl experience pvp needs to change.

do you disagree with 1 or 2?

So you think epic can be saved by a slightly different map but everything else stays the same?  What is to keep things from getting stale again?

this map promotes deed leveling/destruction (aka make people quit the game) since thats all there is to it this map.

this map promotes deed leveling/destruction (aka make people quit the game) since thats all there is to it this map.

10 pages age people were complaining that all the deeds would be unraidable...

goes to show we really don't know what the new meta for pvp will actually be from a weird map, and i will say it again, any type of change is better than the status quo at this point.

So you think epic can be saved by a slightly different map but everything else stays the same?  What is to keep things from getting stale again?

No.

I think wurm pvp is doomed if rolf will never change game mechanics over time. (also im not certain what you mean by drastic... removing sotg could be seen as drastic for some and for others it would be seen as a minor balance change)

But overall I could see major changes/improvements to siege and naval warfare that would completely revamp it... becouse there is better versions of it available in other games already. (Archage is a good example of a completely diffrent style of naval combat)

What wurm has that is rather unique still is it's ever-living world and terraformation... and not being a dungeon crawling button smasher.

Edited by Zekezor

goes to show we really don't know what the new meta for pvp will actually be from a weird map, and i will say it again, any type of change is better than the status quo at this point.

i did say it promotes it, not that its feasible.

No.

I think wurm pvp is doomed if rolf will never change game mechanics over time.

I agree with this, was disappointed to see only map changes.  that is why i think the only chance epic has of improving is a map that is weird enough to force the pvp meta to be played differently and hope for the best.  

I would have preferred to see the focus on mechanic changes, but i don't think rolf will ever change enough mechanics to fix pvp, which is why the map is our only chance of shaking things up.

I think the only chance epic has of improving is a map that is weird enough to force the pvp meta to be played differently and hope for the best. 

unique.jpg

• Like 2

that is why is also said 'and hope for the best'.  Change is not guaranteed to be good, but no change is guaranteed to be bad.

No.

I think wurm pvp is doomed if rolf will never change game mechanics over time. (also im not certain what you mean by drastic... removing sotg could be seen as drastic for some and for others it would be seen as a minor balance change)

But overall I could see major changes/improvements to siege and naval warfare that would completely revamp it... becouse there is better versions of it available in other games already. (Archage is a good example of a completely diffrent style of naval combat)

What wurm has that is rather unique still is it's ever-living world and terraformation... and not being a dungeon crawling button smasher.

i like dungeons and button smasher games....

go play Terrarria, i think that game was a hit! 

i like dungeons and button smasher games....

go play Terrarria, i think that game was a hit! 

Already have.

on a brighter note, loving the new weapon models! GJ art team, can't wait to hold them ingame :D

• Like 1

They are pretty much unraidable if they are placed on the pillars in the ocean.

If they are not, they are going to be the only source of PvP other than hota, which isn't pvp most of the time, and boats if people manage to run into each other.

So with this map you get the two worst types of pvp, boat combat which is horribly buggy with massive positioning errors, invisible players, and is heavily imbalanced towards one kingdom, and raids which are really the most boring type of PvP.

You eliminate the ability to go out from your deed whenever you want and roam, you eliminate territory control, you eliminate pretty much all open field battles, you make GM deeds right outside the hota so there are some 100% safe places for people to run to and spawn alts from.

Forcing people to break the "pvp meta" by making them play with broken and imbalanced mechanics while eliminating their ability to easily go out and PvP is not a good change.

A change like this map is worse than no change at all.

• Like 1