Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 15

@Wossoo 

I know you can't make any official announcements yet, but what do you personally think is going to happen with the new map?

@Wossoo 

I know you can't make any official announcements yet, but what do you personally think is going to happen with the new map?

My own views / speculation in the past has been transformed into rumours and spread as an announcement within the game so I can't speculate on this anymore to be honest. Not so close to the time anyway.

• Like 3

Thanks Wossoo for the communication; this is something that really helps, no matter what is being decided, because just seeing your posts represent a connection b/w devs and players.  o7

• Like 3

As usual, this whole thing is a complete charlie foxtrot. Trying to say anything different is being dishonest.

• Like 3

What if the new map is supposed to be for the new sea mobs like sharks and octopi and whales, rather than the players? Would explain all the water.

• Like 1

welp, since its either quit playing, play on a home server, or deal with the largeness of this map.. ill see you guys on the new elevation.. once a year

get it

cause i wont see anyone

BECAUSE THEY MAP IS TOO BIG HAHAHAHHA

:D

• Like 8

ITT, people who don't PvP, haven't PvP in years, saying why this is an amazing map because of mechanics that don't work, haven't worked in years or since their implementation, and due to their lack of understanding of the current and working game mechanics in play. Not to mention this map encouraging boat pvp, which only works if both sides want to fight, and even then you can have position desyncs that are 5-70 tiles away so you can't ever see where they are, or stay in combat, and when you cross borders you crash/lag out.

This is why the PvP clusters are always ###### because people like Klaa and others go "this is great once rolf adds x + 32 features"

*Sigh* Could you at least attempt a semblance of getting information straight. I never said the map was quote Great unquote.

I said it was interesting - which can be good, bad, and even both. Never had a map like it, let alone on this scale. To further correct, yes ship pvp is bugged. Its been bugged for years, ever since ships were even added. Nothing new there.

Ships need work to help make the map more viable, which Ive mentioned at least three times in this thread alone. Even made similar comments several other times and in several other threads over the years in regards to ship pvp, let alone ship travel.

Sure there's been several fun ship pvp on both clusters; however, the position de-sync between client and server annoys me personally, so I prefer to avoid it when possible.

What if the new map is supposed to be for the new sea mobs like sharks and octopi and whales, rather than the players? Would explain all the water.

Then by all means, let the sharks, octopi, and whales pay for a subscription to this game, then they can have an equal voice in it's direction.

Also, while I'm here, can someone find me the real Klaa. Because after that last reply, I think we've lost the real slim shady, if you know what I mean. Holy jeebus Klaa! You went hard in the paint on that last guy, huh?

• Like 1

*Sigh* Could you at least attempt a semblance of getting information straight. I never said the map was quote Great unquote.

I said it was interesting - which can be good, bad, and even both. Never had a map like it, let alone on this scale. To further correct, yes ship pvp is bugged. Its been bugged for years, ever since ships were even added. Nothing new there.

Ships need work to help make the map more viable, which Ive mentioned at least three times in this thread alone. Even made similar comments several other times and in several other threads over the years in regards to ship pvp, let alone ship travel.

Sure there's been several fun ship pvp on both clusters; however, the position de-sync between client and server annoys me personally, so I prefer to avoid it when possible.

are you going to go suggest caravels with cannons with collision system, dual latch locks that are pickable with a wire, hitchable trebuchets on wheels akin to roller chairs, and night vision goggles after this post?

Edited by Propheteer

are you going to go suggest caravels with cannons with collision system, dual latch locks that are pickable with a wire, hitchable trebuchets on wheels akin to roller chairs, and night vision goggles after this post?

Now you're just being silly. Although that does sound rather kickass...

Holy jeebus Klaa! You went hard in the paint on that last guy, huh?

Now that's a new one. Im going to have to look that expression up.

Hah! Nice, surprised I never heard it before as I enjoy playing basketball; though, watching it has become dull since Michael Jordan retired. That man flew, and really helped having an excellent team.

Edited by Klaa

As usual, this whole thing is a complete charlie foxtrot. Trying to say anything different is being dishonest.

My enjoyment of this map proposal makes me a liar does it?

Instead of allowing a free roaming map, with easy accessible parts to it, you've broken it up into 4 different "main" landmasses, and you obviously have the even smaller islands around.

This will only decrease PvP, with the amount of players that Epic currently has, maybe 1/3 or dare I say 1/2 will come over to the new Elevation.

But, with the map being 4 times bigger now.. (16x16 from 8x8, i think thats 4, yeah? 2 would be 16x8, yeah I can math..)

You'd need to find players somewhere.. and you hope to get them by adding Free to play?

All you will achieve by that is maybe a handful of new players, but the majority will be f2p alts that just want to grief stuff and mess with the other kingdom.  Always happens.

Now, lets say you want to go PvP somewhere, or just roam around hoping to catch someone.

It's hard enough to do that on the current Elevation map, mainly because there's like 20-40 people on at times.. mostly on deed.

Now, there will be, lets say.. 80 people online.. separated by hundreds of tiles of water.

So now if you want to go roaming (by yourself), you have to get on a sailboat, lead a horse.. maybe you'll find someone in a boat alone.. and they run.. and you're going.. the same speed, yeah thats fun.

And if you make it to the other kingdom's Island.. and still have the want to still go out and find PvP that may not be there.. you have to ride around the map for about 20-30 minutes to get anywhere.  And then take a boat.  Yay.

PvE players may say.. "Oh but thats what we do everyday!! Get over it you big baby!"

But well, I've played on PvE, its a totally different mindset there. 

I have played on the Chaos and Indepndence map, they're both too big.  Inde not so much since they have the player base, but Chaos is ridiculous.  Don't make the mistake a third time.

Xanada works, or well, I don't know.  But it seems to be 180-200+ people at all times.

People play on a PvP server because, well, they want to fight someone else.  Not just mobs, and sell items.

So when you roam around the map for hours on hours finding nobody.. it kind of shows that hey.. we don't have the player base for a big map like this.

Now, we have HoTA.  Why is every thing centered around HoTA..

Is that the main focus of the PvP game now?  ...It's sad.

It seems that you want to make the HoTA island the new 'Elevation'.. and you're preparing to shut down the Home servers and having them all move to the outer islands, or HoTA island, if they choose obviously.

It's just too much land for how many players we have.  Way too much.

Sure we have room for a PMK.. or 15.  But uhh.. again.. that requires players.

Chests and Depots.

Seriously?

Can we please keep something exclusive to at least one server?

Sorcery items are everywhere.  Missions are everywhere.

Challenge has faster skill gain than Epic.  Chaos has PMKs now.

The only positive to this that I see, is well.. war deeds? lol

Those were fun in the past.. but then again.. with all this water separating every kingdom.. other than on HoTA..

If you don't plant your deed on the coast, you'll probably never see an enemy raid.  Walking inland so far, and leaving your boat unguarded is a bad idea.

:v)  I think this is my longest post ever..

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 20

Instead of allowing a free roaming map, with easy accessible parts to it, you've broken it up into 4 different "main" landmasses, and you obviously have the even smaller islands around.

This will only decrease PvP, with the amount of players that Epic currently has, maybe 1/3 or dare I say 1/2 will come over to the new Elevation.

But, with the map being 4 times bigger now.. (16x16 from 8x8, i think thats 4, yeah? 2 would be 16x8, yeah I can math..)

You'd need to find players somewhere.. and you hope to get them by adding Free to play?

All you will achieve by that is maybe a handful of new players, but the majority will be f2p alts that just want to grief stuff and mess with the other kingdom.  Always happens.

Now, lets say you want to go PvP somewhere, or just roam around hoping to catch someone.

It's hard enough to do that on the current Elevation map, mainly because there's like 20-40 people on at times.. mostly on deed.

Now, there will be, lets say.. 80 people online.. separated by hundreds of tiles of water.

So now if you want to go roaming (by yourself), you have to get on a sailboat, lead a horse.. maybe you'll find someone in a boat alone.. and they run.. and you're going.. the same speed, yeah thats fun.

And if you make it to the other kingdom's Island.. and still have the want to still go out and find PvP that may not be there.. you have to ride around the map for about 20-30 minutes to get anywhere.  And then take a boat.  Yay.

PvE players may say.. "Oh but thats what we do everyday!! Get over it you big baby!"

But well, I've played on PvE, its a totally different mindset there. 

I have played on the Chaos and Indepndence map, they're both too big.  Inde not so much since they have the player base, but Chaos is ridiculous.  Don't make the mistake a third time.

Xanadu works, or well, I don't know.  But it seems to be 180-200+ people at all times.

People play on a PvP server because, well, they want to fight someone else.  Not just mobs, and sell items.

So when you roam around the map for hours on hours finding nobody.. it kind of shows that hey.. we don't have the player base for a big map like this.

Now, we have HoTA.  Why is every thing centered around HoTA..

Is that the main focus of the PvP game now?  ...It's sad.

It seems that you want to make the HoTA island the new 'Elevation'.. and you're preparing to shut down the Home servers and having them all move to the outer islands, or HoTA island, if they choose obviously.

It's just too much land for how many players we have.  Way too much.

Sure we have room for a PMK.. or 15.  But uhh.. again.. that requires players.

Chests and Depots.

Seriously?

Can we please keep something exclusive to at least one server?

Sorcery items are everywhere.  Missions are everywhere.

Challenge has faster skill gain than Epic.  Chaos has PMKs now.

The only positive to this that I see, is well.. war deeds? lol

Those were fun in the past.. but then again.. with all this water separating every kingdom.. other than on HoTA..

If you don't plant your deed on the coast, you'll probably never see an enemy raid.  Walking inland so far, and leaving your boat unguarded is a bad idea.

:v)  I think this is my longest post ever..

This must quite possibly be, by far, the most well thought out and constructive post I have ever seen from Oreo, and I agree with everything he's said.

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 7

And i'm just sitting here like

'what station are we deploying to in the wicked creek region in eve'

:^)

• Like 1

And i'm just sitting here like

'what station are we deploying to in the wicked creek region in eve'

:^)

watch the video i sent you

ps good job oreo

• Like 1

Public Relations Assistant 2015!

:ph34r:

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

thats not oreo no way wheres the meme or the sarcasm

obviously the devs aren't listening to the playerbase here and are going to do what they want. people will go there but the PvP? its going to be tough to actually get a fight on the server

welp, since its either quit playing, play on a home server, or deal with the largeness of this map.. ill see you guys on the new elevation.. once a year

get it

cause i wont see anyone

BECAUSE THEY MAP IS TOO BIG HAHAHAHHA

i thought it was because you never log in D:

i thought it was because you never log in D:

acting.gif

I don't pvp and probably never will, I agree with some posters view but that doesn't mean I agree with the map. I does not look exactly like one which promoted active pvp. Given how large the distances are, isn't this much the same as just having the home servers?

Personally, i'm all for open broken up continents. However, i did expect them to have a few strangle points that bridges would be used to connect to the next. Especially for getting to the hota main land. Other than that i actually like the map. It looks like a newer style for wurm(but would require adjustments ofc).

• First adding a few extra land masses/ increase the land mass sizes. Reducing the water from 50/50  to a 70 land 30 water (perfect imo) No land mass should be more then say 25-30 tiles from at least one other. So that bridges (epic ones if need be) to connect them to allow land roams or strangle points.
  • Boats need sped up, not just for us but for pve. it is a regualrly asked for change(the world is big enough that it wouldn't make it feel less small just more accessible and travel less of a waiting game) 
  • Horse/ animal transportation over water New boat type what ever use some hold space anything 
  • Make Map control matter more, Hota should not be the main aim of pvp, defending your hard errand land. This would work well with the strangle hold points. War deeds would be built just to capture these very specific control points for bridges.

Looking at the f2p model. As everyone has suggested adding them to this server would create severe alt abuse. However, i do think F2P can provide a huge new force for pvp that might bring in new life in to epic if done right. Especially with the cr nerf gone people say that noobs will be hunted ect.

I suggest the following instead of opening ele f2p as your expecting

• Allow f2p to ride a horse and attain 70fs (the ws, shield skills ect will still harben them enough to encourage them to go premium ) This will create a new host of pvper sto "try out" combat
  • In addition to this i also suggest a  "weekend " war fair. This should be the ONLY time F2P can go over to ele. 

Both of these changes are drastic but are becoming a common theme in the mmo market. I think these changes would create a huge new host of potential future premium players who can taste pvp in all it's aspects not just being killed by the premium accounts. While this still contains them in a manor that alt abuse would be minimal (having a alt defender at a deed would change a few things but as everyone says it's bad to attack a none defended deed). I'm sure there are other aspects i have missed and positive the wurm community will tell me about them,

Edited by JockII

when I saw that new map, I thought

this is EPIC ..... FAIL

That still has way too much water, we might aswell have an 8x8 map if he is just gonna fill a bigger map with water.