Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 15

make it were we can ride dolphins

No, sharks instead pls

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 1

So, as an upswing from my last post, something not so mean

462e616056.jpg

The red, is where people will deed and they will be completely unraidable. Nowhere to put a catapult, infinite height bonus, easy to make, impossible to raid. Only way up without 20 sandwiches for each member of the raid is the mine, which they will just shaker orb and reinforce.

The purple is where people will deed on the center landmass, and i can almost assure you that the people who get those spots will be the template kingdoms, which leaves the PMK at a huge disadvantage. Either A. autism your deed with 1000 slope dirtwalls, or B. your deed will always be weaker than everyone elses unless you live four hours from HOTA.

I'm not sure why this was created, people wanted more land to ride around on, to roam, to do missions, to set traps, to do their own thing, but we get a map with over 80% of it being water?

People want big vast mountains, not small spires that they complained about enough with valrei. A mountain chain is not OP, as you can climb up from one or two sides, and only have to actually scale the other two as the elevation slowly rises. Look at Gedd's on Chaos, it's perfect, can climb up from the west side relatively easily, but can't get up from the north or south. It gives good variety for deeds without being too overpowering.

There are no unique landmasses really outside of Rolfs "plateau to-go" system if you don't want to be raided. There is nothing like Our Wall, or Hammerfell, or Tyre available on this map, nor will there be an option to create anything similar because its all water, and what land you do have is extremely flat and littered with spires.

There is no natural terrain where people could funnel others into, or trap others while roaming, like The Abyss or Fire and Pain pass on Chaos, or like there was in the north on elevation with all the hills.

Having no land also means no conquest, which is a reason to play for a lot of players. The focus on HOTA thing will not work in the long term, after a month, HOTA is boring, and on this map it will do nothing but force people to quit because nobody wants to raid straight up mountain spires in the middle of the ocean. It worked on challenge because challenge was a short term map, where it was meant to be extremely fast and people just wanted raw PvP. On Epic and Chaos, people want more avenues of entertainment, don't force HOTA down my throat please, id like to be able to chain towers and trap people as opposed to waiting every day for HOTA.

As ive stressed above, making a map focused on HOTA is also imbalanced as you are making it unreasonable to do anything else, it would be better to make a nice unique map like Chaos or the new Affliction or Desertion and just place the hota in the center. Give people room to breathe.

"Man, what i'd do for another Notch map..." seems to be my go to thought of the day, and when you remake this (because if you don't this would have to be one of your worst business decisions ever made) keep in mind that people don't want flat, they want diverse, including mountains and mountain chains, but they actually want mountains not random plateaus.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 9

Overall I find the map to be a disappointment, the concept is very close to what people wanted and what we were told it would be, however the implementation was thought out to be very practical. The central landmass is no where near big enough while the outer landmasses are too big, it doesn't make much sense for them to be that big. We have homeservers that are serve there purpose, elevation is supposed to be a battleground not 5 seperate islands. 

NO COMMENTS...

censored-rubber-stamp.jpg

Edited by cybrax

I think we can all agree the concept of the map is good. The middle island needs to be bigger than current elevation and everyone will like.

• Like 3

If this is the map thats released you wont see me on elevation. Simple.

Larger central land mass. Multiple small ISLANDS(NOT MOUNTAINS IN THE OCEAN), with 3 bigger islands for the 3 kingdoms.

• Like 1

so 10 pages of people disliking the new elevation map, can we get an official staff response if its gonna be modified/scrapped or what??

• Like 1

i like this map, if only for the tiny center hota island. Make the center island bigger and leave the rest as it is. Unraidable deeds are the norm anyway and elimninating the spires wont do any good since ugly dirbox deeds will just litter the land and are equaly unraidable. At least spire deeds have nice view.

When I heard we would get the new map, I probably would have hoped for something more like this map design. With three small startup islands, and much land mass for grabs.

UFcb9cv.png

I don't mean that it should be the same size as Xanadu, and maybe a bit less lakes and mountains then this map, but I still would like a diverse landscape.

And as many have said before me, the funniest PvP situations are on horseback and not at sea.

Edited by danko
  • Like 3

The main land is essentially the same as Elevation - the middle is flat, all the mountains are on the sides, no rivers going through the map. And it doesn't look that big compared to the old Elevation which will be a huge problem for PMK's once again. I'm not quite sure why the starter islands are this huge. Ironically they look like better candidates for the main island.

Why is their starter deeds on elevation in the first place? Let the land controlled & placement be determined by the players, Not the starter deeds. 

• Like 2

Silverbean 2k15 - Its not an island map, its an ocean map with a few islands !  This lol

• Like 1

Yo Rolf, why not just give those "Epic'ers" a randomly generated map to play on a couple of years while you give Xanadu some basic hand sculpting and some advanced debugging.  Or, if you're just THAT uninterested in Freedom's money, just say so and I'm sure most of us will gladly empty out our home servers so you can shut them down and hope the finance fairy visits you every couple of weeks..... 

Or handcarve them a new map, but then don't go running off to another waste of time like this when your biggest and most publicized server still has lovely landscapes and shoddy everything else.

Yo Rolf, why not just give those "Epic'ers" a randomly generated map to play on a couple of years while you give Xanadu some basic hand sculpting and some advanced debugging.  Or, if you're just THAT uninterested in Freedom's money, just say so and I'm sure most of us will gladly empty out our home servers so you can shut them down and hope the finance fairy visits you every couple of weeks..... 

Or handcarve them a new map, but then don't go running off to another waste of time like this when your biggest and most publicized server still has lovely landscapes and shoddy everything else.

We've been playing on a randomly generated map for the last 4 years.

Meh those so-called "invulnerable island" deeds are only that when actively defended by a sufficient number of skilled players.

Sure the terrain would make it a lot easier for smaller numbers; however, those tough nuts can still be cracked.

Offline deeds are a cakewalk.

EDIT: Additionally they are spaced out from each other by quite a bit. Can almost ignore them. Granted that can be a bad idea strategically... Again, assuming they are staffed by competent sailors.

Edited by Klaa

• Like 9

Meh those so-called "invulnerable island" deeds are only that when actively defended by a sufficient number of skilled players.

Sure the terrain would make it a lot easier for smaller numbers; however, those tough nuts can still be cracked.

Offline deeds are a cakewalk.

EDIT: Additionally they are spaced out from each other by quite a bit. Can almost ignore them. Granted that can be a bad idea strategically... Again, assuming they are staffed by competent sailors.

Edited by Postinglels
  • Like 2

Lmao. I won't play on the map but I have to ask - Has the map maker ever actually tried sailing in Wurm Online?

I send my sincere condolences to the Elevation players. We might've not always been on the best terms with each other but I never wished for you to be put through this hell.

• Like 10

You haven't pvdp'd in a while have you. Muh twitter, muh teleports, muh unreasonable expectations on attackers

Edit: how about no deeds above x number of steps in height

Edited by Klaa