Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 15

week15.png?dl=1

Hey Everyone!

We are quickly approaching the release of our Spring Update which will be in two parts. First off, the current Elevation server on the Epic cluster is going to be shut down next Monday on April 13th and after a day or so will be replaced by an all-new and much bigger map which is revealed below!

We plan to introduce bridges to all servers roughly a week after the Elevation reset, providing that there are no serious bugs or issues found over the next week or so.

Here's the news in full,

Elevation Reset and New Map Reveal

EDIT 13/04/2015: THE MAP BELOW IS NO LONGER THE MAP FOR NEW ELEVATION. SEE HERE FOR THE UPDATED VERSION 

The current Elevation server is on schedule to be shut down on Monday 13th April. We will then need a couple of days to set up the new map and connect it to the Desertion, Affliction and Serenity home servers. We expect that you will be able to travel or log in to the new map by Wednesday 15th April.

I know a lot of people have been eager to find out what the new map looks like, so I have included a sample of it below. We will be releasing a full quality version soon and the in-game map version with accurate start deed locations. Note: The dots represent approximate start deed locations and the North and far South dots on the central Island are the Altar of Three and Bone Altar respectively.

new%20elevation%20preview.png?dl=1

This is a unique style of server which is unseen in Wurm until now. An island themed map with a central PvP / HoTA (Hunt of the Ancients) area and further surrounding continents which should make great home bases for kingdoms, with plenty of room for a few player-made custom Kingdoms thrown into the mix!

In response to feedback regarding free to play accounts, the central island is fully covered by a no-spawn zone for free accounts to prevent people abusing them to interfere with HoTA. Each of the three template kingdoms has a balanced start deed near to the HoTA zone so that people can return to the action quickly if they die in a fight.

Overall the map has plenty of good flat land to build upon with a few mountains here and there. This is so players can move around quickly and have the maximum amount of space to build settlements without having to worry about terrain features getting in the way too much. However there are lots of little islands dotted around the place for people to explore, gather resources, or even build sea-forts should they wish! Some coastal areas have shallow waters, perfect for building harbours and docks.

I think this Map has a lot of potential, with some adapted play styles, but we are eager to hear your feedback too!

We have also refunded at least 80% of traders on the existing Elevation server now so we are glad that the vast majority have been claimed and reimbursed.

Bridges

Bridges are now very close to completion and we expect they will be released approximately a week after the Elevation reset. There are still a couple of little bugs that we are working on. Overall the major focus for the team this week, as it has been for several weeks, is to ensure bridges are as stable as possible for release.

There are no new visuals to announce related to them, however we have been working on the way rope bridges hang! So snazzy!

TichRopeBridge.png?dl=1

Map Dumps

We have found a way to host the map dumps with a googlemaps style interface for Chaos and Xanadu, and we are in the process of adapting map dumps for Independence and Deliverance. I have also received offers to help seed torrents so that option will be available and hopefully pretty fast downloads too.

I expect the map dumps will be released within the next week or so.

New Weapon Models

Continuing on from the small maul I showed you a couple of weeks ago, the art developers are happy to reveal the new (WIP) model for the medium maul and three axe types. So shiny!

Med_Maul_render_1.png?dl=1

axes.jpg

If all goes to plan we should see them in game soon!

New Deity

After a few short weeks as a demigod, Tosiek has ascended to become Wurm's first ever player deity.

Their religion will have a relatively random mix of spells which should hopefully bring out a fun and interesting combination which is not considered overpowered versus the other deities.

For now we are going to keep quiet about what those spells are and allow followers of Tosiek to discover that over the coming weeks and months. We look forward to hearing how it turns out!

That's all for this week. Until next time,

Happy Wurming!

• Like 18

This map is awful. I thought it was supposed to be small islands on the outside where the starter deeds go, and a large island in the middle for the action... This is the opposite of that.

Edited by amberain80
  • Like 19

LOL

Race for the circular height limit deed NW of HotA xD

Edited by Minirawl
  • Like 3

That map... when the teamspeak saw it everyone cried out in synch "oh my god"... and not in a good way.

Edit: we were looking forward to a larger continent to fight on with possibly large rivers cutting through and some mountains etc similar to chaos.... everyone is severely dissapointed on ts right now... litterary noone likes it... not even remotely.

Edit2: Where the hell are PMKs gonna live?

Edit3: Where on earth is the players gonna fight? you basicly deleted the massive battleground that was elevation and replaced it with a freeking mini hota and more home servers.

Edit4: Where are we even gonna get horses and ###### for hota? what the hell...

Edit5: Players from chaos are litterary joining the epic teamspeak just to laugh about the map... Laughing.

Edit6: The landmass is LITTERARY smaller than elevation atm... SMALLER! WITH 4 TIMES SIZE!

Edit7: Elevation is not all about hota. hota is a tiny thing we do among all the NORMAL warfare... that map removes all normal warfare and basicly just leaves home-server-style raiding at islands... which we already got... we dont want more of it.

Edit8: This map can be summarised as "Home servers with a hota island."

Edit9: You pretty much removed land roaming... one of the major things people do on elevation..

Edit10: [22:14:34] <Bear> sailing around for 5 hours with unraidable deeds on the outer islands and mountain deeds on the hota island which will also be unraidable: the game

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 21

this is by far the worst map ive ever seen in my entire life in any game

you plan on having us sail around for hours? i rather just stay on a homeserver jeez

Edited by Ezalor
  • Like 7

Nice map, uh wheres the land though?

I think that from now on Rolf should actually play his game :P

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 3

Lol that map is ridiculous... So many mountain islands, like no land space at all...

RIP in peshwari naan

• Like 2

Wow...just wow...

when is the scuba gear implemented? 

RIP Epic -_-

• Like 4

I think the map layout is an interesting idea for sure and I personally love it, however it probably won't have the type of functionality that players are expecting and hoping for.

If this were going to be an 8x8 still then it might be more feasible even with limited land space, however since you mentioned making it a 16x16 that amount of water base seems excessive.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

well, since noone on the pvp side likes the map, can we get it for freedom? I like it. muahahah.. 

• Like 9

That map is..... I can't even say it on the forums or this post will be removed.....

• Like 6

na im not everyone is bored of evelation, this is completely different and everyone starts crying, typical wurm community.

• Like 1