Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

New Deity!

No gods no problem, like in real life.

We need godslayer.

First off, we don't have Hota Statues on freedom, never asked for them

There have been plenty of PvE-friendly HotA alternatives suggested before, and simply looking at the obscene amount of money they pay for those statues proves just how much Freedom likes them. But good job assuming everyone on Freedom wants exactly what you want; I'm sure they appreciate that.

No one asked for karma, sorcery or missions. Karma was introduced all over as one way for Rolf to mitigate the fallout on Deed lamps with the "light everything" spell, so it was introduced on all servers.

Missions were later introduced because just the random source drop (which was also increased to extremes) and the achievements couldn't fuel the karma needs. So as a quick way to go about it, without having to create something unique for freedom, Missions were added.

Sorcery was much the same. When they introduced Uniques they knew that people would only go for dragons, so in addition to nerfing hide/scale drops to dumbness, which would also remove people from hunting those engines of destruction as well, so they added sorcery items as one possible drop to entice people to go after the uniques.

People were begging for sorcery from the day it was announced, and Rolf promised that Freedom would get it. He waited nearly a year to find a suitable method of dropping them, eventually settling on uniques. It wasn't something that was tacked on at the last minute to appease the masses, though the effect it had on the Epic players who actually worked for those abilities certainly makes it feel like it.

And why would we need the drawbacks? We don't have "the curve" and increased skill gain. If you think its hard to get stuff on Chaos, then maybe try to picture how much harder it is on slow going PvE Freedom.

The curve and the increased skillgain are not meant to be perks in and of themselves; they're designed to facilitate PvP. It helps newbies get into fights faster and prevents the "old boys' club" situation that exists on Chaos. Considering PvE's obsession with "the economy" and the lack of endgame goals aside from "build a giant castle", you don't want the curve. Trust me. You'll get bored way too quickly.

Oh, and Chaos doesn't have the curve either, by the way.

Random Spell pool was "added" this week. Wtf you talking about. Old priests have the same spell pools all over the servers.

We've known for years about the possibility of players ascending and that they'd get a random spell pool. That's part of the risk we took when we signed up. And now that you've lost your ability to cherry-pick which  features you get, only then does all hell break loose. That's why it's so hard to take any of this seriously. Like I said, take the good with the bad, or take neither at all.

By all means, that's EXACTLY what people are asking, DON'T give that ###### to Freedom, that's no pandora's box, that's just asking the devs to do their job and DEVELOP stuff instead of collaging broken mechanics with restricted parts of them onto servers where they weren't meant to be. The devs should have created a different means of obtaining Karma that fits the PvE style of Freedom, should have added a different kind of reward to Uniques (maybe put back some hide on the drake, i mean yeah its a lot of people poking at them, and they're kinda tiny, but damn) and give the broken priests to the morons that in 2 weeks time will be crying over how Overpowered (or underpowered) the new religion is on PvP. I'm sorry, but you already cry about the priests that were created with some semblance of balance...

If we were to take Valrei abilities, HotA statues, karma abilities, moon metal, and mission decorations away from Freedom, we'd see a shitstorm of legendary proportions. That's the Pandora's box I'm talking about. Maybe you could live without all of that stuff, and if so, great. But there are a ton of people who wouldn't be so happy to see it go.

Besides, we don't even have a consensus on what Freedom actually wants in regard to the Tosiek thing. There looks to be a pretty good number of people who do want to convert to this new religion, even despite the randomness. Did you consult them before appointing yourself as Freedom's spokesman?

• Like 6

I'm sorry but... anyone denying that most of the new stuff and changes made for or because of Epic and that do affect Freedom are mostly useless for PvE is a joker.

The way it usually works in Wurm: most of the workforce of CC is being used to implement a new PvP mechanic or to change/adjust some existing ones.

These changes often affect the PvE side and mostly for the worse, e.g.: tamed pets doing half damage, all the stuff KanePT mentioned etc.

Then there are the changes PvE people hear about, let their imagination fly and voice on the forums that they must have it.

When released they realise that all the new shiny is mostly useless on the PvE side, e.g.: sorcery etc.

Of course there's stuff being implemented that's of value for Freedom as well like wagons, multi-storey etc.. But all of this is useful for Epic as well.

Mostly though we get fluff like four types of chairs or bookshelves which are nice to have of course but are not really necessary (or have any working use - tried to sit recently?).

All in all it comes down to this:

Most of the time of Rolf and CC is being used to please the PvP royalty.

And the PvE people are the commoners who "should be happy" if they are allowed to eat the rests of the feast in the "Epic" castle.

And pay their taxes of course.

P.S.: To look at it from another viewpoint... can you name at least a handful of changes/new mechanics for PvE that badly affect the PvP side of Wurm? 

Because we can fill pages with our problems...

Edit: Forgot this is a thread about the new god xD Well I don't think we need him on freedom, Nathan should have been first, Split the Code already.

Edited by Tekari
  • Like 3

fun fun fun in the hot hot sun...... ever thought that Rolf being the smarty pants he is already set up certain spell lists and when it says random.... it may in fact be a random selection of a pre determined and balanced set of spells....

or.... and this is my fav...... the info copied and being mass debated upon .... was copied and pasted from the wiki.... yes I said the WIKI......

Looking forward to spell list.... awesome bacon....

• Like 1

There have been plenty of PvE-friendly HotA alternatives suggested before, and simply looking at the obscene amount of money they pay for those statues proves just how much Freedom likes them. But good job assuming everyone on Freedom wants exactly what you want; I'm sure they appreciate that.

People were begging for sorcery from the day it was announced, and Rolf promised that Freedom would get it. He waited nearly a year to find a suitable method of dropping them, eventually settling on uniques. It wasn't something that was tacked on at the last minute to appease the masses, though the effect it had on the Epic players who actually worked for those abilities certainly makes it feel like it.

The curve and the increased skillgain are not meant to be perks in and of themselves; they're designed to facilitate PvP. It helps newbies get into fights faster and prevents the "old boys' club" situation that exists on Chaos. Considering PvE's obsession with "the economy" and the lack of endgame goals aside from "build a giant castle", you don't want the curve. Trust me. You'll get bored way too quickly.

Oh, and Chaos doesn't have the curve either, by the way.

We've known for years about the possibility of players ascending and that they'd get a random spell pool. That's part of the risk we took when we signed up. And now that you've lost your ability to cherry-pick which  features you get, only then does all hell break loose. That's why it's so hard to take any of this seriously. Like I said, take the good with the bad, or take neither at all.

If we were to take Valrei abilities, HotA statues, karma abilities, moon metal, and mission decorations away from Freedom, we'd see a shitstorm of legendary proportions. That's the Pandora's box I'm talking about. Maybe you could live without all of that stuff, and if so, great. But there are a ton of people who wouldn't be so happy to see it go.

Besides, we don't even have a consensus on what Freedom actually wants in regard to the Tosiek thing. There looks to be a pretty good number of people who do want to convert to this new religion, even despite the randomness. Did you consult them before appointing yourself as Freedom's spokesman?

1) I said there were no HoTA on Freedom (by that i meant PvE freedom, sorry if i wasn't clear), didn't say they aren't the coolest (or one of them) "bling" item. Nor that anyone wants them or not. Learn to read before trying to distort someone's words. And i actually said that something like HoTA, or HoTA would be better served in PvE as an introductory level to PvP, instead of just being one more thing to fight about on PvP. I said no one "asked" for them, didn't say no one likes the statues, which btw are a PvE item if there ever was one - purely aesthetic. And yet PvP content.

2) People asked for sorcery on PvE when it was announced because they thought it would be something akin to Meditation or Priesthood. Not crap. You'll realize that the begging died out not very long after the system was actually released. And sure there's still plenty of cool things, summoning wargs and whatnot, are pretty awesome, but ultimately not very useful for PvE. The "revised" version Rolf promised for Freedom, however, was never released, just the copy paste of items on Unique loot tables. In fact the whole system is pretty much half-finished in good Wurm fashion. Plus "worked" for the rewards.

3) Weird, no Curve on Chaos but still more PvP than Epic, if it was meant to promote PvP, clearly failed. The Curve on Epic was one of THE MAJOR features for the server (in fact it was one of the first things we knew about them right after "Quest-like" content) and main reason why some people still go there as opposed to Chaos.

4) Yeah we knew players could ascend, but since no actual information about it was released, aside that it COULD eventually happen (in good old Wurm fashion), no one could comment. Random spell pool could be exactly what i said, a full pre-build pool of spells which the game picks from a lot of several. No one was expecting them to overnight put that in, i mean, a new god is born, nothing special happens, an announcement in the forum. Plus no one said before that it would affect the Freedom Cluster. See i can cherry pick when you're trying to distort facts to your purpose (would be interesting to know which purpose that is too, since obviously, from the way you wrote about it, you don't play on freedom, so why does it bother you we do or don't get the new god?).

5) Sure, cause now they're there. And moon metals? Which moon metals? Only way to grab moon-metals on freedom is on Chaos, through HoTA (and now epic creatures, which btw were released on Chaos BEFORE they started dropping Seryl - which btw was added to the game as a fidelity reward, not as a PvP item.) But if they actually added PvE content as an alternative to those items, with similar properties, or even the same rewards, people would actually appreciate it, and i doubt there would be any ######-storm. Plus Karma was released on PvE at same time as Epic, never was it an Epic exclusive. The only Epic-exclusive thing with Karma was the fact that it was a Mission Reward (and without a doubt the only reason for Missions on PvE was exactly so that people had that source of Karma, cause devs couldn't be bothered doing something other than copy-paste, as mentioned before). In fact there's a ton and a half of suggestions for alternative methods for PvE to get those things without having to obtain them from PvP... Guess who keeps bashing those down. Yep Epic and Chaos players. So please don't talk about what people want or not on Freedom, or what we have, because you and people like you (Who don't even play on the cluster yet somehow resent that PvE -the highest population group on the game- get anything you don't, or vice-versa) are the main reason we don't have anything nice, despite the fact that you're on the minority of server pop, and still grab a huge slice (the largest probably) of production time.

6) Sure, its the new "trend" so people will go for it, cause its the latest new thing. Plus if, for example it spawns mycelium its not only a way to gain stuff that you couldn't before on PvE (ie. Path of hate), and a nice way to grief your neighbors and PvE people love that.

Finally i never said i was anyone's spokesman. I'm simply pointing out another development flaw, out of many, and i'm sure that like most other times, after 2-3 months i'll be proven right, and by then people will have raged and left the game and blah, same old... If there's something i've come to realize is that as a community, we Wurmians are slow on the Uptake, and its kinda funny to see people NOW starting to post about the same stuff i've posted about (and even been banned for bringing up) years ago.

P.S.: To look at it from another viewpoint... can you name at least a handful of changes/new mechanics for PvE that badly affect the PvP side of Wurm? 

Edit: Forgot this is a thread about the new god xD Well I don't think we need him on freedom, Nathan should have been first, Split the Code already.

He can't. No one can. Because only thing that can be called "PvE stuff" is, like you pointed either useful for everyone, or just fluff. That was exactly what i asked him to do 3 replies earlier, but he just decided to talk about what people on freedom asked.

fun fun fun in the hot hot sun...... ever thought that Rolf being the smarty pants he is already set up certain spell lists and when it says random.... it may in fact be a random selection of a pre determined and balanced set of spells....

or.... and this is my fav...... the info copied and being mass debated upon .... was copied and pasted from the wiki.... yes I said the WIKI......

Looking forward to spell list.... awesome bacon....

Hope to god you're right. But been around for far too long to expect that. really...

Plus i thought this was in already?

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

Most of the time of Rolf and CC is being used to please the PvP royalty.

And the PvE people are the commoners who "should be happy" if they are allowed to eat the rests of the feast in the "Epic" castle.

And pay their taxes of course.

The thing is that just is not true.

Epic had a ridiculously small amount of attention from the devs.

It had some at release still had tons of broken features, no attention at all for 2 years, 1.1 which added sorcery and still didn't fix some longstanding issues, no attention at all for 2 years, then just recently he took another look at it.

Epic has been chronically neglected and people seem to think ANY time that Rolf gives any attention to it at all that it is all he does.

Rolf spends his time on what he wants to spend his time on, not what PvP players want him to spend his time on, and he definitely does not try to please PvP players, a lot of the changes he implements are bad for PvP and he does not listen to feedback.

Then there are the changes PvE people hear about, let their imagination fly and voice on the forums that they must have it.

When released they realise that all the new shiny is mostly useless on the PvE side, e.g.: sorcery etc.

Of course there's stuff being implemented that's of value for Freedom as well like wagons, multi-storey etc.. But all of this is useful for Epic as well.

Mostly though we get fluff like four types of chairs or bookshelves which are nice to have of course but are not really necessary (or have any working use - tried to sit recently?).

I don't get how you expect the spells to be useful in a PvE setting (and they are generally even more useless for pvp 13 damage karma bolt to a horse, 2.7 to a person)

Sure a lot of devtime is spent on stuff that is of value for freedom (and everyone) but the problem pvpers generally have with it is that it is implemented at the expense of fixing problems that have existed for years.

The animal ratio.

Killed pvp for months as no one was able to have enough horses, the "fix" is spending a ton more on your already more expensive deed.

• Like 1

@Kagrenac

I spoke about PvP in general not just Epic. Look f.e. at the recent main development. Challenge. Another PvP thing.

Sure there were many other PvE Servers opened before that but those weren't needed and most of the PvE community agree on that I guess.

Could be wrong on that of course

The things you mention are true for both PvE and PvP servers. Broken things not getting fixed, little listening to feedback etc.

About the spells... I definitely don't expect those sorcery spells to be useful. I would have expected another set of PvE-fitted spells.

And last... the animal ratio? Why don't you just put your pastures outside of the deed? There's no safety on- or offdeed on PvP servers anyway right?

Is there a difference between bashing a fence or wall in or out?

The animal ratio.

Killed pvp for months as no one was able to have enough horses, the "fix" is spending a ton more on your already more expensive deed.

Kane, sorry I don't seem to remember you being the voice of the pve community, whilst I agree with your complaints at times (who wouldn't) it seems like this is an excuse to moan about something that has minimal impact to you. Focus on the things worth mentioning don'f fill out the forums with 100 tons of generic pvp-pve spiel because you don't have a job.

• Like 1

I'm just curious about how horribly crippled the new faith will be with restrictions.  Hey, while this is getting the limelight why not "rebalance" priests to be playable as mains ;)

@Kagrenac

I spoke about PvP in general not just Epic. Look f.e. at the recent main development. Challenge. Another PvP thing.

Sure there were many other PvE Servers opened before that but those weren't needed and most of the PvE community agree on that I guess.

Could be wrong on that of course

The things you mention are true for both PvE and PvP servers. Broken things not getting fixed, little listening to feedback etc.

That was the point I was trying to make, that Rolf does what he wants, it has nothing to do with trying to please PvP players.

Challenge is a great example of that, another PvP server is a bad thing for PvP players since it dilutes the playerbase.

Just look at the announcement thread.

And last... the animal ratio? Why don't you just put your pastures outside of the deed? There's no safety on- or offdeed on PvP servers anyway right?

Is there a difference between bashing a fence or wall in or out?

Animals offdeed count as if they are on a deed with a bad ratio, so they are going to catch disease and miscarry a ton.

Keeping your horses offdeed behind a fence or two is pretty much giving away your horses to whoever comes to get them, keeping them ondeed they are behind dirtwalls, multistory longhouses, at least a few more walls/fences/locked gates, and have the protection of templars.

Edited by Kagrenac

Ok guys. So when we have to expect some Libilla x Tosiek arts? :v

Edited by WojorowskiPL

im just curious what the penalties and saccable items will be.

Kane, sorry I don't seem to remember you being the voice of the pve community, whilst I agree with your complaints at times (who wouldn't) it seems like this is an excuse to moan about something that has minimal impact to you. Focus on the things worth mentioning don'f fill out the forums with 100 tons of generic pvp-pve spiel because you don't have a job.

• Like 1

You really just need to calm down bro. It's going to be ok.

• Like 3

im just curious what the penalties and saccable items will be.

Saccable items? Pierogi of course and that's what makes jealous all of you that Tosiek is the first Player-god not Nathan.

• Like 1

Seriously just shut the hell up already. If you dont like it dont become a follower. I dont understand how people spend so much time in wurm yet hate the game. I mean you guys must hate it since all you do is ###### and complain. Go play Hello Kitty Island adventure or something.

Guild Wars 2. Yeah, that's what i'm playing.

I'm just venting my frustration, because here i am on the brink of deciding if i cash out of Wurm or not, and CC keeps sending this BS onto us.

I wonder just how much money's left in CC's coffers with them having to lay off Baron and all... But here you are thinking only how a stupid development move will affect you personally, not how it affects the game wholly.

Me, doesn't affect me at all... I'm not playing the game. I wish i was, i wish the devs haven't piled on a game that's so frustrating most people i played with have quit. I wish the game didn't encourage a rift between the community, i wish they had a clue. Sadly. Not the case.

Seriously just shut the hell up already. If you dont like it dont become a follower. I dont understand how people spend so much time in wurm yet hate the game. I mean you guys must hate it since all you do is ###### and complain. Go play Hello Kitty Island adventure or something.

Ah how refreshing. A man with style who knows how to please with his words.

But before I go back to Hello Kitty Island a few thoughts...

Me personally I like Wurm very much and I care for it. That's why I even bother to write stuff on the forums and still hope one day Rolf might read it and think twice about his ideas.

If I wouldn't like it I had just quit years ago just like so many other MMOs.

And I even have a suggestion for you: If you don't like it what we're saying don't read it... or go and kill some Kitties on your virtual island.

• Like 1

Guild Wars 2. Yeah, that's what i'm playing.

I'm just venting my frustration, because here i am on the brink of deciding if i cash out of Wurm or not, and CC keeps sending this BS onto us.

I wonder just how much money's left in CC's coffers with them having to lay off Baron and all... But here you are thinking only how a stupid development move will affect you personally, not how it affects the game wholly.

Me, doesn't affect me at all... I'm not playing the game. I wish i was, i wish the devs haven't piled on a game that's so frustrating most people i played with have quit. I wish the game didn't encourage a rift between the community, i wish they had a clue. Sadly. Not the case.

Like I said. You need to chill out. This isn't life, but you're treating it like it's incredibly serious business. Go for a run, jack off, or drink a beer. You need to relax before you stress yourself to an early grave.

Like I said. You need to chill out. This ###### isn't life, but you're treating it like it's incredibly serious business. Go for a run, jack off, or drink a beer. You need to relax before you stress yourself to an early grave.

Mate, you need to stop giving unwanted and unasked advice.

I've invested thousands of hours on this game, and i'm simply sick of the same bad development decisions. And i've always been vocal about that. I've been banned permanently on my original forum account as an attempt to shut me up, and i've kept criticizing the game, and sometimes my voice joined other voices and stuff got changed, sometimes not so much. So yeah, i'm sure your post will have a better effect than a ban and a couple warnings.

On the other hand like i said at this point, i'm really not invested in the game anymore. I'm more likely to quit altogether than to keep playing. But as someone that really like this game i'd rather that suck up fanboys would take their own advice and stop posting, so that Devs can start noticing they aren't as perfect as the fanboys would have them believe.

Because in case you didn't notice it seems that CC isn't that well financially (otherwise why would Baron have to leave for being the "junior member", that only happens in lay-offs), and i'm sure that following them blindly in making the game less appealing to new players will get it up and running again.

Let me just be the first to say (maybe I'm not the first but I say I am) that I'm glad Nathan wasn't the first player-deity.  I have no ill towards Nathan or his endeavors, I've just grown tired of everyone talking about him anytime Valrei is mentioned.  I'm glad someone beat him to deity status.  I'm sure Nathan will make it too.

So we were not allowed to participate, but have this forced on us.....yeah sounds typical.

ah so youre okay with getting the good stuff, but not the bad

+1 to freedom getting valrei craters to complement sorcery

Edited by Propheteer

ah so youre okay with getting the good stuff, but not the bad

+1 to freedom getting valrei craters to complement sorcery

and creatures! those eaglespirits are fun, im sure people with mountain deeds would enjoy them :)

This is dumb.

We don't ask for most of this, Rolf just does it. Animal ratio is bad, we don't care about furniture or new clothing. We aren't getting the PvP balance we want. We aren't getting the bug fixes (Valrei pls) we need. We still have bugs that occur on a regular basis that have been around for years, meaningless tedium, broken mechanics, terribad combat, useless archery, useless shield bashing, random as all hell casting, band-aid patches, Sea World, etc.

You don't ask for most of this, Rolf just does it. Taming nerf is bad, leading nerf (intensifies taming nerf) is bad, animal ratio is bad, armor nerf and useless archery are bad, spells are bad against mobs, karma spells are bad against mobs, bugs from years ago still exist, etc.

Don't direct the whining at us. Don't direct it at the players. Don't direct it at anyone except who is responsible. Direct it at Rolf. Make him see that he needs to listen to our feedback. This isn't our fault. It isn't your fault. It is Rolf's fault. It is Rolf's responsibility to work this out, and that isn't being done because new features have always taken priority over old problems. It's time for that to change.

Edited by SotG_is_OP
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this