Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

New Dyes on Plant Basis

Hey, 

I am quite new to this forum so I apologize if this idea has been posted in the past. However, I have been researching some stuff about dyes and was thinking maybe we could add some more colors, since making a ton of blue or green dye just to level up is a bit useless.

Based on how to make dye in real life, I had in mind the following:

• Pink Dye - Strawberries
  • Purple Dye - Grapes
  • Golden Dye - Cameleon Plant
  • Yellow Dye - Daffodils or Sassafras
  • Brown Dye - Walnut
  • Orange Dye - Carrot

I feel like Pink, Purple and Orange should be rather easy to make, Yellow and Brown a bit more difficult, and Golden could be difficult. Of course, the plants required would have to be added (at least some of them), but I feel like Carrots and Potatoes aren't too different, so at least that one does not seem too difficult to add. Optionally I feel like Pumpkins can maybe be used instead, if carving off the sides, but I am not certain that is actually something that can be done in real life as I have not tried it.

What do you think? 

• Like 1

Right now it's copper for green, cochineal for red, and woad for blue yes.  Once you got paint done you can "improve" it with one of the three to change the RGB values.

May check the scale later and compare to what you posted, (needing food and a nap atm).

If you want more insight into how it works, 

http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

Handy as hell to make dye with the current system.

Oh... I guess I did not know that. My apologies!

Nono the idea's good, just gotta run the RGB values see how they translate into your idea is all.

From there could be compared to existing game assets, see what can be turned to what, for example octopus ink to retain some rarity and difficulty in the ingredients.  

For example, you can fish for octopus at special fishing spots (takes an enchanted pendulum to find), and butchering those can yield ink sacs used for ink on papyrus.  That said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

Thing about medieval game, bright colors were expensive for a reason back in those times.... so while rich purple would rock, would also be cool as a hand mix (cochineal and woad job) vs "spoke to one of the fishing addicts in the game and arranged a trade of goods for pure purple" *grin*

Give some other wurmians time to read it, check back in every so often, see what emerges.  People have been calling for more paint options for a while.

• Like 1

We should be able to get blue out of more than just the woad plant, like blueberries for a more rice color blue, and other berries. Fruit is a more common thing to get color or dyes out of. And flowers pedals, leaves, grass and other "nature" that can get a range of color from. You can pick alot of different color flowers and forge for different types of berries, which berries can make different colors. Just a way to use more of you nature skill. The higher the skill you have the higher ql you pick meaning the closer you will get to your color you are trying to make. Just a thought :)

Everything is good as it is atm and wwll balanced imo

I'm not sure it is well balanced. The different ingredients come from completely different sources so to be a good dye maker you need to have all these skills very high.

Mining, butchering, foraging...