Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Multi-action keybinds & improved dragging from containers

Multi-Action Keybinds

Am i suggesting macros? nope.

I'm suggesting that one keybind can perform multiple types of tasks and thus improves userfriendlyness.

For instance lets say i want to cut down trees and chop them into logs.

I bind space to cut_down and chop_up.

When selecting a tile the cut_down bind gets used to cut down the tree.

When the felled tree object is selected it chops them into logs instead.

Pretty simple stuff.

In short the game tries to execute a set number of actions in order.

a simple example of a keybind:

1) Lead

2) Embark

3) Disembark

you walk up to a horse with a rope active. (or anything active if it got a bridle)

Your first keypress will make you lead it.

Second keypress will make you ride it since leading is no longer an option.

While riding it you cant lead it nor ride it again and as such disembark is used.

now lets say we got a fancy 10-action keybind.

1) lead

2) embark

3) disembark

4) cut_down

5) chop_up

6) mine_tunnel

7) mine_forward

8) mine_surface

9) dig

10) dredge

Boom.

now you can lead/mount/dismount animals and transportation vehicles, cut down trees, chop them up, dig/dredge and mine tunnels... one keybind... like space.

best part? the client already got data about the world so it can judge by itself whats "okay" and not "okay", thus the client doesnt send unimportant info to the server and only what it believes its allowed to perform.

and no, im not suggesting it sends all the actions as a sequence. im saying it chooses the first available command that works from the list and sends only that one.

oh and obviously the one we all want

1) improve

2) repair

Improved dragging from containers

How about dragging items from bsbs/fsbs/crates while holding ctrl automatically chooses the "as much as i can carry" option... yea... simple... heck it even reduces the server load by cutting the middle step...

It saves players the hastle of having to move their hand from the wasd area over to enter and thus makes it less tedious.

secondly

If a player ctrl drags item from container A to container B, then it tries to FILL container B using all of the items selected in container A. (ignoring player capacity if the player can carry one unit of the item-type, otherwise it disallow the action)

If i got 300 logs in a crate, then trust me, I dont want to drag just 10-20 of them when i select max. I actually want all 300 to be moved to the bsb instead of repeating the same action over and over again.

It's just tedious and makes players annoyed... especially the enter-pressing part.

In short:

Less tedious game components and more fluid gameplay that we enjoy <3

• Like 10

+1

The biggest I ever gave. PLEASE, the container thing is a MUST, really annoying!

+1 - i was thinking the same thing. no reason cannot have one key do multiple things depending on what is activated or targetted.

+1

Id love to multi bind, i miss having them, got them on Garry's Mod to do various tasks with wire mod. 

id HATE to be able to have my b key bound to chop up and cut down, thats ruins the game for everyone

• Like 1

Not sure if THAT "if then" is doable, but still ... 

BIND C IMPROVE; REPAIR

for examples.... yesplease

+1

+1 Especially dragging items into containers - can do it from dirt piles, so why not other items ?

• Like 1

Didn't even read your suggestions Zekezor. Just the title gets from me a ++++++1

a big

+1

the good keys, which are easy to reach, are already bound to a action and so this would come in very handy

+1 Especially dragging items into containers - can do it from dirt piles, so why not other items ?

This.

We should be specific about what we are thinking. 

1. Send a sequence of keybinds. It doesn't matter what item is active or targeted. If a keybind doesn't work for that tool or target, it just wont' work.

example:

bind 1 ACTIVATE_TOOL1, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 2 ACTIVATE_TOOL2, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 3 ACTIVATE_TOOL3, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 4 ACTIVATE_TOOL4, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 5 ACTIVATE_TOOL5, IMPROVE, REPAIR

2. Try the first keybind and if it fails or is not possible try the next. Stop sending keybinds once one is successful.

I could be wrong but this sounds like what the OP is describing. This wouldn't work with the  example I gave above.

imo ...

#1 I posted above and

STANDARD_ACTION

This proposed keybind updates itself with the most common task when a tool is made active. It could be further refined by adding a second criteria that looks at the targeted item. What STANDARD_ACTION does as different tools (and potentialy targets) are activated could be set with a client side user configurable text file.

The selected bar is kinda like this but it doesn't update very well, hotkeys are based on positions and the order of things often changes. When digging the button to "dig" can change a little. Since hotkeys are position related for selected bar the single key approach doesn't work.

REPEAT_LAST 

This could actually get included in standard action. Initially standard would get loaded with its instructed keybind but if you choose something different from a menu it updates itself with that.

About dragging items out of bulk storage type containers ( crates, bins, etc.).  I'm betting there is some technical problem with automating this. When crates and the ability to move items between containers went in many people were hounding the Devs to also improve bulk to bulk container item movement. It didn't get changed.

I guess this could be one of those "dev decisions". Although, I feel strongly its a technical problem not a personal agenda. In contrast, not being able to put stuff inside a bsb while it's in a wagon was purely a personal agenda type decision.

I really wish we could deal with bulk single items. For example, withdraw a single bulk bundle of 1000 corn which would weight 100kg and consume 18 volume. If the game could deal in bulk items it should be much easier to move bulk item to bulk container. Currently, i believe anyway, there is a rather long cycle when moving items from bulk to bulk container. The cycle is: alter the bulk item on withdraw, create the individual items, alter another bulk item on deposit and destroy the individual items.

+1 

this suggestion was so good it made me press my +  and 1 button so hard i nearly broke the keys

+1 and also a keybind for the emote Smile At. I started using that Wurm Assistant and it's a little corner of heaven.