Sign in to follow this  
Belrindor

Option to disable ALL weather related effects (Please Lock)

Most games have a toggle to disable weather. As in, all of it.

Two things are the most egregious when it comes to visual eye strain that I have seen.

Fog, and snow.

The whiteness washes out and causes severe eye strain. I can't look at it for more than a few minutes before it gives me a pounding headache.

Thus, any time there is fog, or if the sun is reflecting off the snow (even with reflections and the like turned off...), no matter what I'm doing, I have to either log off, or do something else such as browse the forum until it passes. And to make it worse, the world is all one 'layer', so it's even in buildings!

1znmo87.png

The really crappy part is I usually wait until 'first light' so I can see better, and fog seems to be becoming more and more frequent. Then, when there is snow out, it's only a short time before it's so bright I can't see.

Just a simple toggle to remove ALL weather related effects would be awesome. One checkbox, and BAM! All weather gone. Snow, fog, rain, etc.

For the snow, I don't care about removing the actual snow per-se just the 'brightness' that goes along with it.

And adjusting my monitor does not help. It just makes everything ELSE darker, and thus harder to see, thus incurring even MORE eye strain.

So if this is possible to program in a relatively short amount of time, it would be most appreciated I'm sure by many people as a quality of life improvement.

After all, we want to be PLAYING the game, not be forced to do other things when we want to play just to get around something so silly as the weather.

Thanks for your time and consideration. :wub:

Addendum: Just as I finished typing this, I noticed that I had 'action timer' lag, whereas just a few minutes ago I had none. I hadn't even moved. Then I noticed... raindrops... pouring through my roof. Rain = action timer lag?!?

Addendum 2: Just as a clarification this is a suggestion thread TO the Devs. This isn't a request for a quorum, or a committee hearing on the subject. I know people don't like to hear that their individual contrary opinion isn't wanted, but.. .it isn't. If you like the idea, or have ways to contribute, by all means, let's hear it. If you hate the idea, great, I don't care. You don't need to -1 the thing like I give a rip that you don't like it. It's a suggestion for an individual CLIENT side setting that affects no one but the individual viewer. Thus, there is no reason to -1 something that your opinion is not being asked on, and which affects you not at all. Not trying to be rude here, just trying to clarify. Thanks.

Edited by Belrindor
  • Like 3

Dunno... while I'm all for Quality of Life ... 

Fog IS part of the terrain, like spiders and slopes and those adorable hell hounds y'all should learn to love and tame :3

This from someone who will and has crossed Xanadu by water for a handful of silvers, thus having hardcore reasons to hate the fog ^_^

-1 m8 sorry... sailor's laws and such >.>

Edited by Mordraug

Q: How does disabling fog on MY client, affect YOU?

Also if a PVP 'thing', could simply be auto disabled on PVP servers or the like.

Q: How does disabling fog on MY client, affect YOU?

Also if a PVP 'thing', could simply be auto disabled on PVP servers or the like.

That's what I meant. That the option to 'be' disabled, would be greyed out on PVP servers. It's perfectly understandable that one would not want to give the enemy an advantage like that.

On PVE such things are irrelevant. On PVE no one else is affected but me by what I see or do not see on my client end.

C'mon folks. If you are going to bother to downvote someone else's idea, which in this case, doesn't affect you in the slightest, at least have the common courtesy to type something more than a -1 and give an actual reason why you think that something that would display or not display one someone else's client end ONLY affects you and is a bad idea.

• Like 1

That's what I meant. That the option to 'be' disabled, would be greyed out on PVP servers. It's perfectly understandable that one would not want to give the enemy an advantage like that.

On PVE such things are irrelevant. On PVE no one else is affected but me by what I see or do not see on my client end.

if it is Pve, i think +1, dont see a problem with it, as it is annoying as hell to sail and get fog that shows 2m.. no idea where you are.. so yeah. Make it possible to choose if you see that or if you dont. (Maybe fog and snow, not sure if all weather). Would maybe make it easier to play on old computers also.

why do we have arachnophobia setting if this isnt welcomed

• Like 1

I'd like to turn off the rain drops/snow flakes that fall down because they make my client run like poop

• Like 5

+1 for pve server simply hate snow and fog same for rain ...

Fog no disable at all.

Its something every one should have especially when sailing. Its a part of the game and should stay unchanged. Anything else idc. but Fog definetly not.

Ah ¿#% it make that 

+1

I can always not use it and call everyone who does a noob in friendly elitist jest.

-1 for removing fog, it is one of the only environmental hazards around. However all other weather related effects? Sure. +1.

I travel a lot and yes fog is annoying, but i feel that the fog, rain and dark nights is the part of a living "realistic" world.

• Like 1

-1, this is like asking to be able to disable collisions with walls and fences because you cannot pass through them.

-1 as well, it's part of the Wurm environment, it should stay that way.

-1, this is like asking to be able to disable collisions with walls and fences because you cannot pass through them.

One is a mechanic in place to prevent/direct access to a specific area, the other is a graphical setting that is supposed to give the player "immersion".

Totally comparing apples to oranges.

-1 weather is part of the game, sorry.

Then so are spiders, right?

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Then so are spiders, right?

ah, so if the fog is replaced by white balloons it's the same like the arachnophobia setting then?
  • Like 1