Sign in to follow this  
Torgrim

Please fix the creature spawn on Xanadu

In someway this is not actually a bad idea, but it would ruin the survival aspect a bit of the game. 

I only seen 1 mob since 3 days at my deed down south-center.

If you want a certain experience, you should choose a location that best supplies that experience. Giving players an option to play in a safe environment improves customer satisfaction.

Don't assume your opinion of what is good is also what others would find fun. There will be areas that have mobs and YOU can choose to go there in order to maximise your fun. Please check yourself when you start assuming you have the right to pass judgment over what would be fun for others.

The problem with this is that the Dev's have stated that this is not intended and they are working to correct this situation over time. T

=Ayes=

Have they said this?

• Like 1

Have they said this?

Yes. Dev's responded with a post months ago (someone might link post?) about assessing the aggro mob spawns on Xanadu and then attempting to even them out. Seems not to be successful thus far.

=Ayes=

I admit, I wish I'd read this thread a few days ago, before I decided to join Silver Glass. I love the village, I love how populated the whole area is, (I'm never very chatty but I like knowing other people are nearby), and how suited it is to building skills. However, the mobs... they're everywhere! I couldn't even step into the public mine just south of town without coming face-to-face with a venerable spider, and I see people's corpses lying everywhere. I think the only reason I haven't died yet is I'm still on the newbie agro-radius-reduction. 

I do really like the idea of having safer areas, and I'd likely have looked for a southern village if I'd known. Heck, if there's ever confirmation of a by-design safer area, I'll probably pick up and move. For now, though, I'm just going to hope I don't die too many times before they balance things out. 

I'm South on Xanadu and i'd love to see my area populated like yours Fobok. 

I'm in the market for a deed up North for this very reason. Would love to get an eta from the fiddlers upstairs on this one.

I haven't seen the land to the South, but my deed is at C13, on the very northern edge of the map. I can say with certainty that yesterday was the very first time since I settled that I DIDN'T log in to find multiple corpses on my land. It's common for me to see several deaths - spiders, wolves, sometimes bigger prey. Selling corpses to the Bank is one of the ways I make money, and I've filled up multiple carts with corpses while waiting for the Bank to restock its spending cash. I see trolls and hellhounds regularly, and have more monster meat than I can effectively use (the remainder gets sold to the Bank along with the corpses).

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see at least one monster - either fighting me, fighting my guards, or close enough to target it and choose not to bother. And last night, just before going to bed, I had to interrupt my road terraforming three times thanks to being attacked by crocodiles twice, and a spider (with a bonus wild cat) once, all within one hour.

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 1

Yes. Dev's responded with a post months ago (someone might link post?) about assessing the aggro mob spawns on Xanadu and then attempting to even them out. Seems not to be successful thus far.

=Ayes=

I think this may be the post you are referring to:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/109208-news-update-work-and-progress-week-35/

If its not, its still relevant. Could we get a map made like the one in this ^ post of xanadu? Pleaaassse? :)

• Like 1

Yes, I would love to see a spawn map like that of current Xanadu. 

I can hardly get my wife to play the game anymore, she's sick of all the trolls in our area.Trying to do some building work is tiresome when you get constantly attacked.  

Further minor update: Tonight, I rolled out in my cart. Between my deed, my neighbor's deed (which is barely in sight from mine), and all the land in between, I just filled a Large Cart with monster corpses.

Animals seem to be generally in those places where least people visit.

But i've seen whole hordes of horses and bison getting stuck on coast.

• Like 2

OK. So, this is how bad it's gotten down in the south. I literally drove around for over 2 and a half hours in the forest with no armor on before I actually encountered a adol lion. (And that was the only mob I ran into)

Yes. You heard that right. No armor. I was nudies. ENVISION THIS IN YOUR HEAD.

Do you really want nudists parading around down here?

What's the point in armor anyway, if there's nothing to attack you?

*frolics off to hug a tree*

• Like 1

Rode around the Linton area with some friends yesterday.

Hardly any mobs around. Vast empty deserts and steppes.

North East where me n mine live is teeming with life. Noticing how crowded it had become of late I venture out for a couple of hours and after putting down 55 Trolls and a couple of hundred spiders, lions, wolves, bears and hell hounds figured we'd have some peace and quiet along our roadways for a week or two.

Not so. They seem to be respawning almost as fast as they are getting culled. Not that I'm complaining, of course - just seems atm we're getting more than our fair share of beasties. 

Busted, I think you are describing it well.

The spawning algorithm seems insane and seem to prefer spawning up north. How someone would program a spawning algorithm like this is not understandable.

I would just make an algorithm to randomize a tile on the map. Check if it is valid for spawning. Randomize a creature to spawn that is possible for that tile type. Continue until creature quota is at the right level.

Would be nice to get any comment at all from the devs on this issue.

Even hearing "we dont care! haha!" is better than silence.

• Like 1

Yup it's still the same. Mobs re-spawn quicker than you can kill them off in the north. Of course, I agree, it would be worse not to have any mobs, it must be super boring down south. But a bit fewer trolls would be nice. It's hard to do any work outside guard range because trolls are constantly attacking. Wherever you go up north it's not uncommon to have several trolls in you vision at once. 

it must be super boring down south.

Yes...Yes it is.

Unfortunatly this issue has persisted since xanadu was created, sadly Im starting to think nothing will ever be done about it.

*invites devs to comment and prove me wrong*

Edited by Steeloxide

I was in the south and couldnt see any animals or monsters until I looked up and saw a herd of more then one hundred animals hugging the side of a mountain.

Do you really want nudists parading around down here?

What's the point in armor anyway, if there's nothing to attack you?

I wear cloth armor for appearance sake, which is the point. It covers up the pauper look and doesn't slow down dragging carts around while working. Only put on the heavy armor when traveling longer distances on a horse cart to provide protection if attacked.

=Ayes=

Few hunt in the north. There are Massive and dense populations hunting in the south. Add in a purely random spawning algorithm and you'll get what we have now.

They would need to increase the chance of things spawning in areas where more killing happens. You can't have an equal distribution when one area is more heavily hunted and the game randomly chooses tiles equally.

my take anyway. also, (imo) this is the way to go:

1. Look into a geographic mapping density-map statics setup that increases the chance of things spawning as the player versus npc kill count goes up. Mob versus npc guard doesn't count. Publicly show this map so player can better find an area that suits their play style.

2. Allow deeds to HEAVILY influence the type of mobs that will path near it. Basically, deed radiate out an influence that pushes away harder mobs. Deed owners can set how hard of mobs they want to push away. 

Northeast is PACKED, e-f 25, first time i get chased by 6 trolls.

Few hunt in the north. There are Massive and dense populations hunting in the south. Add in a purely random spawning algorithm and you'll get what we have now.

They would need to increase the chance of things spawning in areas where more killing happens. You can't have an equal distribution when one area is more heavily hunted and the game randomly chooses tiles equally.

my take anyway. also, (imo) this is the way to go:

1. Look into a geographic mapping density-map statics setup that increases the chance of things spawning as the player versus npc kill count goes up. Mob versus npc guard doesn't count. Publicly show this map so player can better find an area that suits their play style.

2. Allow deeds to HEAVILY influence the type of mobs that will path near it. Basically, deed radiate out an influence that pushes away harder mobs. Deed owners can set how hard of mobs they want to push away. 

There's no way that the density disparity is due to overhunting. There are many areas in the north where aggressive mobs are slaughtered endlessly, because there are a lot of deeds and they all have templars. Try taking the highway up to Glasshollow some time, you'll have to wade through corpses every 50 tiles thanks to the guard towers, and you'll pass by a wall of corpses every time you enter deeded land. An even better example is that lake at around C13/D14. Just take a stroll along the coast.

The mobs respawn as fast as they are killed up there, as has been testified many times in this thread:

North East where me n mine live is teeming with life. Noticing how crowded it had become of late I venture out for a couple of hours and after putting down 55 Trolls and a couple of hundred spiders, lions, wolves, bears and hell hounds figured we'd have some peace and quiet along our roadways for a week or two.

Not so. They seem to be respawning almost as fast as they are getting culled. Not that I'm complaining, of course - just seems atm we're getting more than our fair share of beasties. 

Conversely, there are plenty of areas around central Xanadu where there is no hunting and no mobs. The Hellhound Trail is a good example: almost no deeds between Linton and Greymead, but you'd be lucky to see even a single spider.

Edited by LaRue

I had a scorp last week! Creature spawn is definitely better now in the south :P

If middle and south parts would be overly hunted, we would at least see corpses here and there, but we dont.

Its all mostly empty.

Here's my last get info from today, at the lake north-east of Vrock Landing, 5 minutes horse ride from spawn point:

[12:51:07] The Mature huge spider is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable huge spider is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable black wolf is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old brown bear is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable fat huge spider is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged hell hound is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged troll is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged brown bear is ahead of you to the left fairly close by. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old crocodile is behind you a stone's throw away! Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old mountain lion is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable greenish scorpion is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent huge spider is some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable scorpion is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged brown bear is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old brown bear is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable scorpion is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent huge spider is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old crocodile is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged hell hound is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged huge spider is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged black wolf is ahead of you to the right fairly close by. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged mountain lion is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent mountain lion is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged troll is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged hell hound is behind you fairly close by. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old mountain lion is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable huge spider is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged hell hound is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old black wolf is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old huge spider is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent hell hound is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Mature wild cat is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged greenish scorpion is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Mature black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged hell hound is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged mountain lion is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged scorpion is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Adolescent huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged fat troll is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Mature hell hound is in front of you fairly close by. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged black bear is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Old huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Aged huge spider is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable crocodile is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable scorpion is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable crocodile is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable diseased scorpion is some distance away behind you. Below ground.
[12:51:07] The Venerable scorpion is some distance away behind you. Below ground.