Sign in to follow this  
Torgrim

Please fix the creature spawn on Xanadu

Hi,

the spawn is so bugged on Xanadu and it has been for months. All the creatures are up in the northern parts, nothing down south. Can this be so damn hard to fix? The devs doesn't even seem to care, no comments about it or anything.This is apparently not important at all. 

I don't mind having some stuff to hunt, but when the mobs are piling up on top of each other out in the wilderness there  is something wrong.  You can stand still in one place and just let the mobs come to you basically. The PvE in this game is not the least exiting, it's just an annoyance when you want to build or explore. 

The lag on Xanadu makes it even less exiting because mobs don't follow you more than a few tiles, their movement speed gets slowed down by the lag. With current spawn rate in the north I guess we are lucky it is like that or new players wouldn't survive more than a few minutes outside the safe areas. 

The next thing after bridges seriously needs to be PvE fighting. Make it tougher and more varied and with some kind of rewards for killing the stronger creatures, new crafting material or whatever. Also fix the spawns!

*rant mode off*

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 15

Do you have any proof that creatures prefer to spawn in the North? Have you done a full survey of the map? Just curious. I see creatures all over the place - it's more the environment (tile types) that determine spawns.

• Like 1

As someone having been on Xanadu since opening day... mobs are near nonexistent. Bison, horses, cows,sheep and chickens are around with some roaming. Aggressive mobs however , let's say our alliance has become accustomed to hunting on other servers to get pelts and furs. If not for culling horses we would have starved by now as well.

I say that to say this.

I took a trip to an allies deed north of us. He is near D10 ... mobs mobs mobs. Honestly not making it up, fist time I seen a wildcat, croc and a hell scorpion on Xanadu, also first time I was fighting two, three, and four mobs at once and no attacking many horses at once does not count.

Its rare we get an aggressive in our area of J11, yet we now have allies dropping dead just north of us because of them.

• Like 1

The spawns are indeed strange on Xanadu. When we moved to central Xan there were some red mobs. We killed them off and it took four months for their numbers to get back to where they were when we arrived. This is even with a couple of dens nearby. I've been along the north coast of Xan. There are bunches of mobs. Something is not right.

Can anyone recommend a good spot for a hunting cabin in NW Xanadu?

The J10/11 area is as deserted as it has been most of the time since server opening.

Do you have any proof that creatures prefer to spawn in the North? Have you done a full survey of the map? Just curious. I see creatures all over the place - it's more the environment (tile types) that determine spawns.

Normally I'm quite skeptical about claims such as these, and usually chalk it up to perception bias. However, in this case, it's undeniable. As an anecdote, at my deed in J14, I'm lucky to see a spider once a week, and the nearby spawners barely spawn anything (they've been here for more than 6 months). However, all of the northern locations I'm very familiar with are just swarming with mobs. This includes the Glasshollow area, F8/9, and the lake at D14/15. You can't walk 2 tiles offdeed without tripping over hellhounds and spiders.

Can anyone recommend a good spot for a hunting cabin in NW Xanadu?
The J10/11 area is as deserted as it has been most of the time since server opening.

Anywhere north of row G, honestly. F8/F9 is a good spot, though, because there are relatively few deeds, but a well built highway with a lot of guard towers and safehouses, in case you get overwhelmed.

As someone who lives in very far southeast...I notice this discrepancy a lot. (Especially having come from another server where I saw the difference)

I can literally stand outside my deed fence for the whole day on some days I play and not get attacked by a single mob. (No templar hired, and only a 30 QL guard tower and thus 3 guards)...other days, I maybe see one or two mobs come by. I have to take a ride way up into the forest to my northwest...up the mountain...to even find mobs...and lately...I've been driving circles up there and not finding a single mob to speak of (Unless you count the occasional bull up an escarpment that cannot be reached). I've started to drive even farther north just to find mobs again.

Now, granted, I'm 73 FS in 50 QL plate with ~37 QL weapons (36 skilled in 3 different 2Hers...working on the last bit to hit 36 in huge axe)...so my capacity for mob destruction is pretty high/and there's a reason for them disappearing fast...but this is definitely getting pretty ridiculous.

If you'd like I can link a photo showing the whole mountainside barren of mobs.

There are mobs crawling all over the place around Glasshollow and NW coast, way too many of them. I have not travelled all over Xanadu, no need for it, there are plenty of complaints about nothing to kill from people down south. 

Tile type, normally yes, but the current situation is not even close to normal.  Still, in desert areas there are mobs on every tile and in forests only every 5th, so, you're partly right there :P

I would take a screenshot or two, but right now the lag makes it impossible to leave my house... 

There are mobs crawling all over the place around Glasshollow and NW coast, way too many of them. I have not travelled all over Xanadu, no need for it, there are plenty of complaints about nothing to kill from people down south. 

Tile type, normally yes, but the current situation is not even close to normal.  Still, in desert areas there are mobs on every tile and in forests only every 5th, so, you're partly right there :P

I would take a screenshot or two, but right now the lag makes it impossible to leave my house... 

Here is a picture from the desert above Crater Lake from a couple days ago. http://i.imgur.com/EX3C1Ly.jpg

The other larger desert to the NE of that is much the same.

Edited by Chromega

Also having 70+% of the server population in the south means VERY overhunted.

Really want to see what it's like in the south east of the map? For your viewing pleasure :

JbdmZvf.jpg

uMqKLmv.jpg

Vwr61ln.jpg

eo2EpD3.jpg

Now, granted, there's trees that might be masking a few critters, but the overall patchwork shows how few mobs there are out there.

Edited by Corsan

Should have sailed around to the north and taken some screen shots and how there are tons of mobs for effect.  ;)

I finally have red mobs in my area but I go out of my way not to kill any and no one has come through hunting in a long time. Had plenty of blue ones forever no matter how often I kill them off.

Edited by Clatius

I live in the NW at i8. Literally have not seen an aggro near my deed in months. when I travel I am realy  surprised and put armor back on over seeing a spider, it is just so rare in that area. Other ally members live near pockets of mobs and have very hunting at hand. The distribution is still messed up. There are allot of non-aggro and they sure do climb tall mountains well.  For hunting I go to other servers .

Around glasshollow and desert by is just fine populated... Before was bad

Here's what I had at one of my hunting spots near Vrock Landing today:

[22:10:09] The Mature hell hound is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old huge spider is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old troll is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature wild cat is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable cave bug is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old troll is some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old black wolf is quite some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old crocodile is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent large rat is quite some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent raging brown bear is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Young hell scorpious is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable huge spider is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black bear is quite some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged scorpion is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable troll is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent scorpion is some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature mountain lion is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old cave bug is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old scared black bear is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old mountain lion is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged large rat is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old black wolf is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged large rat is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old black wolf is quite some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old huge spider is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old crocodile is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old cave bug is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged scorpion is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged hell hound is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged crocodile is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old fat hell hound is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable cave bug is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged mountain lion is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged large rat is quite some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent hell hound is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable crocodile is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black wolf is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged mountain lion is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature mountain lion is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent large rat is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged wild cat is some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent black wolf is some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged large rat is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent black wolf is quite some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged brown bear is some distance away to the right of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable black bear is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged large rat is quite some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature black wolf is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old black wolf is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable scorpion is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature black wolf is some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable huge spider is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old crocodile is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged hell scorpious is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature large rat is quite some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent crocodile is quite some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged fat black wolf is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black bear is behind you to the right fairly close by. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Young black wolf is some distance away ahead of you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Venerable huge spider is quite some distance away behind you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged huge spider is quite some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged crocodile is quite some distance away to the left of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature large rat is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Adolescent black wolf is behind you to the left fairly close by. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged black wolf is some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Mature troll is quite some distance away ahead of you to the right. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged brown bear is quite some distance away in front of you. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old brown bear is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Aged troll is to the right of you fairly close by. Above ground.
[22:10:09] The Old wild cat is quite some distance away behind you to the left. Above ground.

I really don't think that's an accurate assessment, but I am certain that this is not the problem in any case. In the centerwest area around the Hellhound Trail, for example, the player population is very sparse. There are very few deeds, and most of them don't even have templars. There's no hunting going on there, and yet there are almost no hostile mobs anywhere.

Meanwhile, near Glasshollow or the lake at D15, there are deeds and guard towers everywhere. All of the deeds have templars, and many times you literally have to wade through a pile of corpses just to walk down a highway or onto someone's deed, and yet somehow there is always more mobs chasing you anyways. Mobs are killed very fast in those areas, but they respawn just as fast.

In our area, near VoTD, when I first moved in there were rarely any animals. Then they reset the spawning and all of a sudden we had lots of critters, lots of bad ones too just wandering on deed when previously you were totally safe. It's been a while since that reset and it's back to the way it was before. Bison, bulls, cows... seem to be what spawn the most, but they are few and far between.

In my area, there are TONS of roosters and hens.  Every time I kill one, it seems 3-4 more take their place.  between them, cows, bulls and bison, there are not many angry mobs around.

It's a circular thing.  I'm a new player (right about a month in) and when I was looking to deed I wanted to deed in the north, because it is less populated and because I had heard that there were more mobs there.  I didn't want to just walk out of a start deed and plop my deed down I wanted to be more remote.  So I tried, I really really tried.  20+ newbie deaths later I gave up on Vrock's and Glasshollow (couldn't even use the public mines in Glasshollow without quick deaths from multiple mobs). In the south I died but I could at least explore and find a nice deed spot that isn't overrun by a lot of people.  By the time my FS is of a level that I can feel tough enough to possibly survive exploring the north I will have accumulated enough things and put enough work into my deed that moving north will be a very difficult decision and a logistical chore.  I currently live right on the border of a large (several hills wide) tundra patch which should make for good hunting yes? No with the exception of the troll that likes to stand in the center of it, I might find one or two wolves a week around the tundra. 

If the spawn, or the migration or whatever the actual issue is were fixed there would be more settlers in the north and the south might not be 'over hunted'.  Personally, I don't feel that you can over hunt what is not there to be hunted. The first step to this is acknowledging that there is a problem.   I've been in Wurm and on Xan a month and I can see that there is an issue.

• Like 5

I live in the South East (P22 as well as Q23), and it's not a matter of "very overhunted" there's just no mobs. We want to set up a hunting deed just because of this enormous problem, but Xanadu is so enormous we're not sure how far we would have to travel. 

[07:14:48] The Aged black wolf is some distance away behind you to the right. Above ground.

annnnd that's it. 

I'm in P22 and there's an area of sand to the north of me. On other servers I'd easily expect to see 20+ mobs in that area at any time, but I've not seen 20 mobs on it since the server opened. It even has 2 lairs on it that have been there for months.

A few weeks ago I walked past a bear on my deed 3 times before I realised it was there. Agro mobs walking onto my deed has become an alien concept to me!

The mountain next to me does of course have quite a few bulls on it every time the server is rebooted, but they're way out of reach. :rolleyes:

In many MMOs you can easily see when mobs spawn, they pop right in front of you. In Wurm I had never seen this happen, mobs tend to creep up on you in a nice way. Up until now, these latests months in the north of Xanadu, I can kill a troll, wolf or whatever and almost instantly a new one pops up, I have even seen them pop right in front of me now, in several years of playing this game I had not seen that before.

I'll go taker some screenshots this evening from various places in the north to get some proof :)

Ok, here are three from just outside my deed and a bit south along the nw highway.

223m.jpg224m.jpg225m.jpg

Edited by Torgrim

S15 - we quite celebrate any hostilw creature, there are less than a dozen per week :-(