Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Mooring post

6792091413_a11fa85ef6_n.jpg

Like in topic - how about adding (immobile) structure with the same functionality as mooring anchor, using only wood and basic ropes? I think it would be great addition to ports and shipyards and mooring anchor alternative for new players as well. :)

Edited by Warlander
  • Like 15

Can only be used with small boats and next to shore. I would also say only in dirt type tiles not rock.

Edited by Uberknot

Can only be used with small boats and next to shore. I would also say only in dirt type tiles not rock.

• Like 1

These are mostly built for big boats btw... Then on lakes like in the picture because anchors in a small lake is impractical and a waste of time. 

Maybe on a tiny lake......but on large lakes with 15 footers rolling in....that might be tough to hold onto the ship.

Heh, You under estimate them, By a lot. I live on a lake myself, A Considerable sized one at that(Lake Winnipeg). Docks tend to use these quite often, Mainly because their cheap, Durable, And easy to work with. Nasty waters like my lake im on, Have this: (Actual photo's from the docks)

8940935672_a5b0a0103c_b.jpg

(Heres a bigger picture if you don't understand the photo^):

gimli-harbour-2.jpg?w=243

With the rock wall, They are still necessary to have for all boats in the dock, like this:

Heres them in use on our coast guard? Or something, i can't remember their name xD 

8940318857_dca02b9c38_b.jpg

And heres a picture of a local fishermen attaching his boat to mini sized ones that arn't shown in the picture but ropes are their. They stick out slightly behind the railing, like door nobs, aiming at the boat. One in the back, One near the front.

TRB3590.jpg

All n all, Doesn't really matter the size of the boat. They're useful things that any boat can use. Vikings used them, And their descendents(Me) still use them today.  

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 1

your second pictures are basically docks with posts on them.....walled off shoreline with wood barrier so boats can moor to them.

the first one just shows a peg stuck in a grassy shore big difference.

I live in Michigan I have seen lots of lakes and boats......

your second pictures are basically docks with posts on them.....walled off shoreline with wood barrier so boats can moor to them.

the first one just shows a peg stuck in a grassy shore big difference.

I live in Michigan I have seen lots of lakes and boats......

Im sure we've all seen boats and lakes in our time, But not many are all aware of what work is actually required to be a fishermen or a captain. Anyways, A Mooring post is a mooring post. Boat size is irrelevant to a post. Wooden or metal, It'l still hold the boat until the ground itself gives in or the rope does. 

+1 to the idea

Im sure we've all seen boats and lakes in our time, But not many are all aware of what work is actually required to be a fishermen or a captain. Anyways, A Mooring post is a mooring post. Boat size is irrelevant to a post. Wooden or metal, It'l still hold the boat until the ground itself gives in or the rope does. 

+1 to the idea

If you want it to hold large ships then you'll need reinforced shoreline as well.

But sure for sailboats and rowboats I think its ok plain stake and rope.

+1 all boats, dirt, sand, rock, lava, w/e. 

I'd say that nowadays they are usually made of metal.

+1

Maybe on a tiny lake......but on large lakes with 15 footers rolling in....that might be tough to hold onto the ship.

Yes only for small ships like this one.  :P

blue-ship-in-dock.jpg

This is what a Mooring Rope is supposed to do.

All sizes of ships use them from rowboats to Aircraft Carriers.

Yes they can be made out of wood, stone, or metal but it really doesn't matter because they just hold the ship in place.

Currently the same size anchor works on all boats in the game this would be the same way.

+1 to the Idea

Yes they can be made out of wood, stone, or metal but it really doesn't matter because they just hold the ship in place.

Currently the same size anchor works on all boats in the game this would be the same way.

+1 to the Idea

I am going to have -1 the whole thing... too much I want and not enough rational based on the times and tools.

Maybe if you want to make this with the use of a thick rope it could work for all ships....As it is starting to remind me of I want to lead 4 horses with 1 rope deal...For sure its going to take more than a shaft and a mooring rope.

Besides those ships there probably have anchors down as well as more than 1 mooring rope.

Edited by Uberknot

In the last weeks I started to wonder Uberknot... are you by any chance

Protunia in disguise?

Anyway +1 from me. Realistic or not.

(and I've never seen 15 foot waves on a lake like we have in Wurm btw)

• Like 1

@Uberknot

Methinks perhaps that ye are trying to take a simple idea, and make it a bit too complex. It doesn't have to mimic reality 100% to be useful.

The original idea is still valid. Whether or not you like the way it could possibly be implemented.

A stake of some kind, a rope of some kind. Voila. Mooring post.

And in case ye hadn't noticed... we ain't got waves in Wurm, boss.

Gimme waves and moving water and I'll consider the 'reality' of it not being able to moor a larger boat.

Since you have to suspend reality to even boat on a 100% flat plane of water anyway, continue suspending it for a mooring post and all is well.

When peeps get too darn serious, it really vacuums some of the fun out of things.

Edited by Belrindor
  • Like 2

I am going to have -1 the whole thing... too much I want and not enough rational based on the times and tools.

Maybe if you want to make this with the use of a thick rope it could work for all ships....As it is starting to remind me of I want to lead 4 horses with 1 rope deal...For sure its going to take more than a shaft and a mooring rope.

Besides those ships there probably have anchors down as well as more than 1 mooring rope.

The picture clearly shows the anchors are up.  :rolleyes:

Using thick ropes for mooring when we have a 'Mooring Rope' already would be silly. :P

Edited by Bachus

Would be great even if just for aesthetics; however, personally they should have a gameplay use as well.

I see this idea from a slightly different perspective...

To moor a boat at a dock or on a pier one would 'target' the stationary grounded mooring [peg, shaft, stake] with the boat's mooring rope. Once the attachment is made (assuming you didn't miss the toss of the loop) you would use the rope(s) to position your boat relative to the dock.

Translated to game mechanics, the moor would be a fixed object that could be targeted by the commander of a vessel, rope activated and within say a tile or three of the peg. Right-click > Moor/Dock (w/e) would moor the boat to a fixed location relative to the mooring peg/post.

Current problems this =could= address would include the ever-present and annoying loading issues for some boats due to relative positioning between the boat and the objects on land. Would also make docking a sailing vessel in stronger winds far less tedious.

This would not replace the mooring anchor, simply repurpose the anchor for deep water off the shoreline.

For pegs planted on deed you could even go so far as to add a permissions line for this type of docking.

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

+1

I'd like to see a thread like this develop on the ArcheAge forums. Ha! They have rideable dolphins. Those don't need mooring posts.