Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 13

Cheers, may you serve in your new role as advertised, and good luck to you, Retrograde... you're going to need it, I'm certain ;)

so wurm has less problems with alot of polygons? :)

I think its less of a wurm problem and more of a hardware problem. storing multi sub object texture data in memory can lead to lag much quicker than poly count. Plus with lod implementation 554 tris really wont be that many.

Edited by ausimus

As an artist, I'm going to be a booby and say that the axe needs more texture because it looks like it's made of plastic... but good work :P

First off, I't be nice if your added the part about how i'm super excited about the mapdumps and I was just giving comparitive example to demonstarte how happy. Your selective quote is really misrepresenting what I wrote.

Second I already do those things with dirt. I get what bridges are used for in real life. And if I lived on an Island I probably would have a us for one. As it stand now I can't think of a single thing I *want* to use a bridge for nor can I think of an instance in the past couple years where I wish I had a way to make a bridge. 

Sorry, I must have forgotten the winky smiley to show it was just a little joke (and now I can't put a winky because that would suggest this is a joke, ah the neverending problems of the internet!).

Personally, I'm going to be using 1 (2 tiles long, probably wooden) to cross a small moat around a large building I'm making, 1 (5 tiles arched, stone unless I can find marble near-by) to cross in front of my boat cave because the entrance to said cave by foot is the other side of the water from the rest of my deed (planned in readiness for bridges), and I'm planing another very small (rope probably) one to cross over a sloped road between two sections of a building because I can't have tile of building above it due to the sloped ground.

I could only do the first of those with dirt, but then I wouldn't be able to sail all the way around my moat in a big boat (though that in itself would be a challenge due to the width and corners - would make an entertaining boat race; who gets stuck the least :D ).

I could only do the first of those with dirt, but then I wouldn't be able to sail all the way around my moat in a big boat (though that in itself would be a challenge due to the width and corners - would make an entertaining boat race; who gets stuck the least :D ).

A Wurm triathlon race. 5 laps around a horse track with a randomly assigned horse (horses are pretty much equal), a couple laps around the moat with a sailboat (could be interesting in high wind), and finally drag a small cart full of rock shards around a foot race track for a couple laps. Of coarse bridges are all over the place to serve as both obstacles for the racers and places for Wurminians to spectate.

hmm, guess I can come up with something cool to do with bridges. I probably would make something like that but I'd definitely admire it if it was done.

Think they did Xanadu map dumps because more people play on that server then the other? would be my guess 399 people online vrs Less the 100 on all the other islands. shrugs would think smaller maps easier to make? So you work on the hard ones first to get them out the way and breeze through the others.

More about Xanadu being the newest map AND one without any existing map dump.

Older servers, yeah, the mapdumps are a bit outdated but still do the job quite nicely for now... THOSE are more about comparing to when servers were fresh basically ^_^

More about Xanadu being the newest map AND one without any existing map dump.

Umm... there never was a mapdump when the server opened from what i remeber.

We only got the ingame map, which is inaccurate in quite a few places.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

As always gret job guys. I cant wait to see the bridges!

By the way I would like to see balanced spawn of mobs on Xanadu. Hunting bizons on south areas is quite tedious, we need some diversity. I hope it's not that difficult to fix it.

Regards,

Zabaq

Edited by Zabaq

New Community Manager

We are pleased to announce that Retrograde will be stepping into the new role of Community Manager and will be working with you all on the forums and in-game.

In his new role he will act as a link between you and the development team to discuss suggestions and changes, collect feedback, and provide feedback from the developers when possible. You'll also see him in-game from time to time and in IRC so don't hesitate to drop by and say hi!

Sorry to be bumping an old topic but this seemed like the best place to ask this..

Since Retrograde is the new PR community relations guy what is it exactly that you will be doing now Wossoo? Is he replacing you? It sounds like he will be doing the heaving lifting so to speak so i just am confused as to what your new role is meant to be now. 

Also there is a recruitment thread for even more new PR guys wanted so what are the plans that you need so many people involved? Maybe you could take some time and let the community know what your goals/plans are and how you intend on setting things up?
Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Sorry to be bumping an old topic but this seemed like the best place to ask this..

Since Retrograde is the new PR community relations guy what is it exactly that you will be doing now Wossoo? Is he replacing you? It sounds like he will be doing the heaving lifting so to speak so i just am confused as to what your new role is meant to be now. 

Also there is a recruitment thread for even more new PR guys wanted so what are the plans that you need so many people involved? Maybe you could take some time and let the community know what your goals/plans are and how you intend on setting things up?

The Community Management position is separate from the PR Team and is to do with feedback and response between the developers and players, both ways.

PR is still mainly about making news posts, and other announcements on behalf of the team, on forums, social media, website, etc.

Not having responsibility for feedback etc. now means that I can focus on other things including issuing press releases, and generating some external publicity for Wurm on blogs, magazines, etc, including the possibility of some advertising and marketing functions.

• Like 3

So will ye still be handling the weekly news, Wossoo?

Hoping for a yes here, I kind of like your formatting. :wub:

If I volunteer to handle the weekly news will I receive a cookie?