Sign in to follow this  
Vornak

What does 'Wurm' mean?

If you seek knowledge of the Wurm, do not ask the sane.

• Like 2

I thought it might be a swedish term for "try many times to make something but fail a lot"

• Like 9

If you seek knowledge of the Wurm, do not ask the sane.

Are you saying there are sane people here? :blink:

• Like 2

I know I ain't sane. ;)

Don't be silly, everyone knows there are no sane people here :P

There should be at least some one person (not me). B)

Perhaps one of the newer players with less exposure.

EDIT: That aside, ask those who are more insane... greater insanity? less rational?

Edited by Klaa

I had been telling my friend about "wurm" for a few weeks -- a few weeks -- when it came out that this was how he was still envisioning the game.

snake.png

He then gave me permission to laugh at him. Good chap.

Wurm, Würm, Wyrm. Same word, it's a type of dragon.

• Like 1

Its roots are typically traced to very old German and Norse. Considering the creators are both Swedish, no surprise there.

Worm, wyrm, wurm, etc. Wurm in particular was Old High German. Ormr, Norse, and so on. Basically it translates as snake or serpent. Dragon came from other root words, draca in Old English; though, there's some evidence terms would be used interchangeably, especially in folklore and cross cultures. Descriptions of Nidhogg in particular.

If the snake was fire-breathing, a suffix would be tossed on.

Overall a giant serpent-like creature. Eastern dragons could be comparable visually.

In short: horrific monster, dont mess with it:

20140f6a17bedf84e74b914dd6bd1fa9.jpg

Though there can be mixups...

i_told_you_to_slay_the_dragon_not_lay_it

• Like 2

Wurm needs a new name, more suitable one. Ppl still think after all these years that it's a worm game. Names play big role

• Like 1

Say the word "worm" around people with a hair of computer knowledge... and they'll think you're talking about a trojan. 

Usually the first thing people say when I mention the game.

• Like 1

Notch told Rolf, the only way he would let him name the game would be if he ate a live worm.

Needless to say, Rolf ate the worm and then called the game Wurm Online so Notch would never forget.

• Like 1

I used to think it was the name of a mystical dragon that was gonna come one day and wreak havoc on the lands, and all the players across the game world would have to fight it off together to save themselves and start a new era of 'post wurm apocalypse' on a new map.

Then I realised it was literally just a name Rolf and Notch must have liked the sound of. I was disappointed. :(

• Like 1

Trojan?

Meh, a computer worm was created as a self-replicating program where the sole goal is to spread itself as much as possible. It spread on its own with no help from people opening suspicious files or whatever. Whether or not its caring a payload is another matter entirely. Granted the payload can consist of trojans... not to mention other nasty surprises.

The first worm to go live, according to the usual story, was created long ago (in computer time) by a grad student inspired by some concepts from his father's work. It was intended to be benign, no payload. Unfortunately some bugs in the code resulted in the worm crashing everything it infected. When two of the worms ran into each other, there was suppose to be a sort of handshake that decided which one self-destructed.

This never happened, so it just kept replicating and replicating itself. Computers of the time didnt have lot of resources, and thus widespread crashes, panic, lost time, and lost money. Luckily no one died from it afaik.

Now a Trojan is pretty much what the name suggests (ie ye olde tale of accepting gifts from Greeks). Its non self-replicating and usually relies on tricking a user. Typically adding a backdoor, sometimes people use Trojan to refer to the backdoor its such a common mix.

There is also a decent book called Wurm .... about a computer game ... <_<

Could be a reference to the river that runs through western Germany, the Wurm River? The appearance sort of matches up with the overall aesthetic of Wurm Online. Rural and natural.. at least until you do what I do best and pave over everything!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BCrm

"A beast of such power that if you would see it whole in a single glance, it would burn you to cinder."

Should rename the game to 'The Grind' or 'Realistically Unrealistic' :D

Insanity Simulator

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results each time...

Who knew being insane could be addicting?

Although I do not think Wurm is inherently mean, through meandering through it I can understand how someone could get that impression. Therein lies the true imprecision of a lie that would lie awake for generations untold, passed from generation to generation until it generated forth from two individual independencies, yet still dependent upon one the other to evolve it forth from the froth.

With this in mind, I think it unfair that you view it as mean, as your post title would adversely imply unintendedly. Furthermore, if you are searching for meaning within Wurm, I would suggest that little can be found other than as a reflection of your own imagination. So use this to further conjure up any meanings, then combine it with the responses herein and draw forth your own sketchy conclusions, for as long as any concussions are not the result of unrestrained opposite reactions, then your head will be also headed in the right direction to undetection.

All seriousness aside. To put it more simply for those so inclined, it's all in your mind. If you don't mind. Or do you?

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

I don't mean to be the party pooper here but a vurm is a swedish word that means something like "a passionate interest" or a fling.
(Like we have a guy here in forums who vurms for sharks for example).

Edit: bab.la even gives  me the word obsession, a slight exaggeration of the meaning of the word.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 1

I don't mean to be the party pooper here but a vurm is a swedish word that means something like "a passionate interest" or a fling.

(Like we have a guy here in forums who vurms for sharks for example).

Edit: bab.la even gives  me the word obsession, a slight exaggeration of the meaning of the word.

It's not very likely to have anything to do with it because

a) Vurm is not commonly used, pretty much not used at all,

B) Swedes don't exchange v for w to make it look cool and

c) Wurm, Würm and Wyrm makes more sense

the B) made a smiley instead of a list item, but it fit

Edited by Aeris