Sign in to follow this  
Vornak

What does 'Wurm' mean?

I remember a while back reading something that explained the meaning behind the games title, Wurm Online.

But for the life of me I cant find anything on the Wiki or forums.

Does anyone know exactly why the game is called what it is, and what in the world does Wurm mean anyway?

I think someone said it was German or something.

• Like 1

Not totally sure but I thought it had something to do with a dragon

Not totally sure but I thought it had something to do with a dragon

That'd be a wyrm, no?

No idea what Wurm is.

Würm

voÍorm/

noun
Geology

singular proper noun: Würm

1. the final Pleistocene glaciation in the Alps, possibly corresponding to the Weichsel of northern Europe.

• the system of deposits laid down at the time of the Würm glaciation.

noun: Würm

Origin

early 20th century: the former name of the Starnberger See, a lake in Bavaria.

Maybe?

• Like 1

I think this is just a wordplay - wurm is German for worm, and worm is digging a lot - one of main Wurm Online features is terraforming.

• Like 3

I think this is just a wordplay - wurm is German for worm, and worm is digging a lot - one of main Wurm Online features is terraforming.

Double entendre, most likely, aye.

..... Our own world was created when a sun shattered into dust. The particles collided and split apart for billions of years, until finally they settled into a stable system. The planets cooled, and the seeds of life hatched into new things able to hold souls. They started out weak and small, but over the years life evolved into the way it is today. Powerful creatures arose to rule over their domains.

The Great and Powerful Wurm appeared and gave birth to the first dragons. Dragons remained uncontested on Wurm for millions of years. The Wurm became lazy and slept in his cave. Animals from the Isles of Creation evolved and spread to the surrounding islands. ....

Read all about Wurm's history here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74051-wurm-historical-summary/

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

Together in the void, Fo and Vynora created the great Wurm - a crystal being wrought from the fragments left behind from Jackal and Seris' creation. The Wurm glanced once at Valrei and saw the creatures Magranon and Fo had set upon it, and coiled within itself for fear of their great strength. The Wurm let loose a great roar and coiled in upon itself, consuming almost half of itself in the process. Two colossal vents of energy shot forth into the void from it's gleaming eyes - one illuminating the void infinitely and the other darkening it. Fo and Vynora were frightened at what they had done, and saught to restore the Wurm to what it once was. Their power rippled the surface of the crystalline Wurm, shattering them into millions of pieces.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/The_Creation_Of_Wurm

I don't think that's official. :P

It won't get more official than that :P

It won't get more official than that :P

I only say that because at the end of the post it said it wasn't official. lol

Also, thanks Kegan for the link. :)

Actually at the end of the other topic Kegan posted, this is a very acceptable explanation.

One night in Sweden, Notch and Rolf got roaring drunk...
  • Like 1

Notch told Rolf, the only way he would let him name the game would be if he ate a live worm.

Needless to say, Rolf ate the worm and then called the game Wurm Online so Notch would never forget.

• Like 2

Notch told Rolf, the only way he would let him name the game would be if he ate a live worm.

Needless to say, Rolf ate the worm and then called the game Wurm Online so Notch would never forget.

Amen. This is how it was and no other way :D

It was a name about dragons r dragon related that wasn't taken on the internet.

Wurm needs a new name, more suitable one. Ppl still think after all these years that it's a worm game. Names play big role

• Like 5

Wurm needs a new name, more suitable one. Ppl still think after all these years that it's a worm game. Names play big role

Yeah the name doesn't really draw people in if they just see the name without any screenshots or anything.

Hate to say it but name like - mine-craft really strikes the person's interest when heard.

I dont mean the game, just simply the name. Same what i noticed in shooter games.

Games like Combat arms/crossfire/counter strike speak for themselves.

But for example Operation 7 which was one of my favorite fps games was never popular due its name.

Of course bad name = bad success isnt always true. For example call of duty is doing good because of massive advertising.

Completely agree, lts an horrible name and when i tell ppl what i play they mostly say: Oh wurms, i know this, I played this as a kid. Yeah, no....

• Like 2

Always thought it was the name of the planet we're on.

It's both: "The Wurm" (creature) and "Wurm" (planet).