Sign in to follow this  
zalor

Whips

I would like to suggest whips. would be a tool that could be used for taming skill. would have the same use as AH with brushes.

+1, I like this interesting twist on it.  whip the animal into submission.  Libila would love this.

+1, although I'm not certain how exactly you would use it. I'd definetely say it shouldn't replace taming with food, because it loses its challenge of finding the right stuff for each animal. And I really dont think that should happen so I'm not sure what use a whip would be in that scenario.

• Like 1

+1 It could make hitched animals go faster for a limited amount of time and has a long cool off timer to counter abuse (of the whip and the animals).

lol way was just grinding away on LW and for some reason thought of whips for taming. o.0

But ya keep the original tame done by food, though once you have a tamed pet use the whip to increase it's tame and to increase your tame skill.

Never thought of a speed boost, would be cool as well.

If you need a whip to gain an animal's trust and compliance, you shouldn't be allowed near animals at all.

• Like 5

If you need a whip to gain an animal's trust and compliance, you shouldn't be allowed near animals at all.

take the peta bulls**t somewhere else. it's a game. a game where you apparently can tame animals by feeding their own kind to each other if you want.

take the peta bulls**t somewhere else. it's a game. a game where you apparently can tame animals by feeding their own kind to each other if you want.

Reality is what it is. You don't get the pissy bull back in its pen with a hug. You use a bullwhip.

+1 for this and riding crops to make the horse proc its traits.

Unrelated but interesting (from wikipedia)

Simon Tookoome, a Canadian Inuit and expert bullwhip handler

Tookoome ... began hunting bigger animals [than ptarmigans] with the whip, even after his family acquired a rifle and a snowmobile. He took down several caribou, and once even used it to kill a wolf that he had shot and injured. He kept the whip with him because operating a rifle was too expensive.

Man needs a folk song.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 2

Reality is what it is. You don't get the pissy bull back in its pen with a hug. You use a bullwhip.

+1 for this and riding crops to make the horse proc its traits.

Unrelated but interesting (from wikipedia)

Simon Tookoome, a Canadian Inuit and expert bullwhip handler

Tookoome ... began hunting bigger animals [than ptarmigans] with the whip, even after his family acquired a rifle and a snowmobile. He took down several caribou, and once even used it to kill a wolf that he had shot and injured. He kept the whip with him because operating a rifle was too expensive.

Man needs a folk song.

Living up north, Operating anything is expensive as hell. A bag of chips is 10$ in some places. Imagine ammunition's cost. Best to live off the land, literally. 

Damit now i want some hard fish, GJ >.<

Edit:

+1

Edited by akaedis

+1 It could make hitched animals go faster for a limited amount of time and has a long cool off timer to counter abuse (of the whip and the animals).

+1 This^

I'd rather see it increase speed at the cost of loyalty.  Maybe even have it inflict a small wound (though then you might have healers whipping critters to shreds just to heal them, beats hugging thorn bushes I guess?)

+1

Edited by Mordraug

I would like to suggest whips. would be a tool that could be used for taming skill. would have the same use as AH with brushes.

I am all for whips and taming, as long as the endresult is more like what you would expect from using a whip.

So sometimes the whip will beat the animal into fearful submission really quick, and sometimes the horse will rip your head off and run away for ever.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_(implement)

The rod of a crop thickens at one end to form a handle, and terminates in a thin, flexible tress such as wound cord or a leather tongue, known as a keeper. The thin end is intended to make contact with the horse, whilst the keeper prevents the horse's skin from being marked.

Crops are principally designed to back up the natural aids (leg, seat and voice) of a rider, but may also be used as a reprimand by more experienced riders, for example to discipline a horse for refusing a jump or other types of disobedience. However, care must be taken not to desensitize the animal to the stimulus.

I'd rather see it increase speed at the cost of loyalty.  Maybe even have it inflict a small wound (though then you might have healers whipping critters to shreds just to heal them, beats hugging thorn bushes I guess?)

+1

I am all for whips and taming, as long as the endresult is more like what you would expect from using a whip.

So sometimes the whip will beat the animal into fearful submission really quick, and sometimes the horse will rip your head off and run away for ever.

If you are hitting the animal with the whip then you are doing it wrong.

-1 Should not need a whip to tame an animal,seen guys in real life use rope and a small yard to tame wild horses,i think if i walked in there with a whip he would have just shot me lol

I've seen folks use a carriage whip (nothing like a bullwhip) to great advantage as an aide to guiding and training younger horses. I've used one myself with no ill effect. No induction of pain or fear, just a gentle prod in the right direction to an animal who doesn't know yet what's needing to be done. As training progresses the whip is retired.

A crop (or as I knew it a 'strop', very similar to the description earlier) is another tool I used but instead of making contact with the horse, I used it on my leg as rider for the sound it makes. It got the animal's attention when needed or was tucked away in the saddlebag otherwise.

This idea that whip always yields abuse is ignorant at best.

All that said, I can see a riding crop or something similar for speed boost but not so sure I can support it for taming. If AH ever gets expanded to allow for trainable traits this topic will surely be revisited.

just my 2i's worth

• Like 1

Yeah cracking at the air or one's cart to get a speed boost, I could go with that.

Whipping a hell hound into submission, I'd only +1 that if it had a 75% of provoking a frenzied attack to watch OP's face get ripped off :3  (yes, I can tame them fairly reliably, good DPS aid on hunts)