Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Devs - You confuse me

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  You are absolutely right. We should just wave a wand and presto a pile of building supplies. Then wave it again and presto a building any way we want it. Heck, why bother with having to do anything. Just pass out wands that do anything you want. Why bother with tools? And boats, bah. Just instantly go any place you want. Best idea would be to enter the game as a noob and magically create anything you can think of. Who needs all that bother of actually playing a game.  :P

Sheesh.

People clamoring for a better and more convenient User Interface, isn't the same as people clamoring for a cheat code that lets them breeze through the game's content.

This change doesn't really effect me, but I can see how much this can ruin the day of a person who finds enjoyment out of playing as a horse breeder. It takes this streamlined approach to animal management, and sets it back.

People are calling this change insignificant - but that might be the reason why people are so irritated. It's not insignificant to them. A small convenience can mean the world to the masses.

• Like 1

try leading ONE with this. LOL

come on guys, it is just a freaking rope and now you have to carry 2 more or  what so ever. how often do you have to lead 4 anmials anyways? I am playing this game for almost 3 years now and i had maybe 2 or 3 situations when i had to lead 4 at a time... so what, grab a few more ropes and be gone with it... geeee. there are by far more "fixes" that ##### off than this one...

try leading ONE with this. LOL

come on guys, it is just a freaking rope and now you have to carry 2 more or  what so ever. how often do you have to lead 4 anmials anyways? I am playing this game for almost 3 years now and i had maybe 2 or 3 situations when i had to lead 4 at a time... so what, grab a few more ropes and be gone with it... geeee. there are by far more "fixes" that ##### off than this one...

• Like 1

I'm just making points, not asking for super easy mode. Honestly, I think you should have to destroy your wall and rebuild it in the proper direction. My POINT is... they don't add up.

Edited by Clatius

And why can't we use pliers to change a plain wall back to a regular one?

Here's a fun idea...

STOP playing.

I did. I got tired of Wurm going nowhere, and running around in circles with new "gimmicks" to get back a few players and make others do a couple more premiums lts to keep the company afloat without actually doing anything that really progresses the game.

I'm still a bit dumb and haven't really cashed out and stopped entirely, but every day a new something makes me go further and further toward that.

Anyhow the point is, until the devs get "hurt" and see that they're just sinking the ship, these "fixes" of unbroken things will be the norm. Its been that way for years, don't expect anything to change while people still put a new alt every time Rolf releases a new server.

• Like 1

Where are they going from here? What's this game going to be like in another year? Why should we continue to invest our time and money into it?

Again, there's no sense here - so rotating walls was put in to address a bug that they're just not willing to put time into fixing? Yet, they can put the time into coding the rotate walls feature. I have a good grasp of coding, with 12 programming languages under my belt, and that just spells laziness. So it was too much work to put a check in to make sure the walls were going the right way, but less work to write code that completely rotates them?

In a perfect world you're correct this is lazy, but since this is a game with a small player base and a very small dev team and limited resources they're working with what they have. In this case, they already have a code for rotating things, so why not use that... I code too for my job (albeit I only know 4 languages), and I know that when push comes to shove there is no sense in reinventing the wheel, I'll use the same bit of code to do the same things across various programs even if the outcome is not as polished as I would like it to be.

This I believe is all a matter of perspective, would you rather they take a longer time just to get something to 99% completion, or get it out today at 90-95%. Perhaps as a long time player I have become accustomed to the latter approach to feature implementation (whether that is right or wrong is another discussion). Or maybe my perspective is more of a realization that wurm is not a good game and worthwhile of my free time and money because of any single feature but rather because of the sum of all its features so that as long as nothing is changed in the game which significantly detracts from that sum (or "breaks" the game)  and the game is constantly being improved upon (which has been the case for the last 4+ years I've been playing), I personally have little reason to complain about any single feature.

Again, there's no sense here - so rotating walls was put in to address a bug that they're just not willing to put time into fixing? Yet, they can put the time into coding the rotate walls feature. I have a good grasp of coding, with 12 programming languages under my belt, and that just spells laziness. So it was too much work to put a check in to make sure the walls were going the right way, but less work to write code that completely rotates them?

The "right" way is subjective in certain cases e.g. inner walls. You should think about the problem before criticising.

The "right" way is subjective in certain cases e.g. inner walls. You should think about the problem before criticising.

we have to remember whos in charge....and the subjective theory....

Instead of rehashing the same tired thing over and over just go to suggestions and put in your two cents there. Maybe Rolf will eventually relent. But these threads really don't help. Bashing the devs really doesn't help. Letting people know you have intimate knowledge of a bazillion programming languages won't help. No one is impressed. You can't get enough people to rage quit to make a difference because, all in all, this game is way better than it was in 2008. Way better. The rope thing is such a small matter compared to existing and no longer existing bugs that it seems insignificant. That's all. Ask Rolf what happened when he really did something, erm, ill conceived. Ropes is nothing in comparison. So yeah, I can live with stuff like this (even though I didn't even know about it) and I'll live with other dumb stuff in the future. I've needed a whambulance in the past and I'm sure I'll need one again.

Oh, and if you think this confuses you stick around, you are sure to be stupefied. 

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

Here's a fun idea...

STOP playing.

I did. I got tired of Wurm going nowhere, and running around in circles with new "gimmicks" to get back a few players and make others do a couple more premiums lts to keep the company afloat without actually doing anything that really progresses the game.

I'm still a bit dumb and haven't really cashed out and stopped entirely, but every day a new something makes me go further and further toward that.

Anyhow the point is, until the devs get "hurt" and see that they're just sinking the ship, these "fixes" of unbroken things will be the norm. Its been that way for years, don't expect anything to change while people still put a new alt every time Rolf releases a new server.

• Like 1

Instead of rehashing the same tired thing over and over just go to suggestions and put in your two cents there. Maybe Rolf will eventually relent. But these threads really don't help. Bashing the devs really doesn't help. Letting people know you have intimate knowledge of a bazillion programming languages won't help. No one is impressed. You can't get enough people to rage quit to make a difference because, all in all, this game is way better than it was in 2008. Way better. The rope thing is such a small matter compared to existing and no longer existing bugs that it seems insignificant. That's all. Ask Rolf what happened when he really did something, erm, ill conceived. Ropes is nothing in comparison. So yeah, I can live with stuff like this (even though I didn't even know about it) and I'll live with other dumb stuff in the future. I've needed a whambulance in the past and I'm sure I'll need one again.

Oh, and if you think this confuses you stick around, you are sure to be stupefied. 

Edited by Keenan

This is getting ridiculous, honestly.  The definition of a mooring rope/line:

Noun, 1. mooring line - (nautical) a line that holds an object (especially a boatmooring line - (nautical) a line that holds an object (especially a boat) in place.

source:www.thefreedictionary.com/mooring+line

There it is, nothing about horses.  Everyone complains about Priests, mobs and what not getting nerfed to benefit them, but when something does not go their way, the whine about it.  Honestly, that is what it comes down to.  Get strength up and or deal with the minor weight increase.  

It does amaze me how many miss the OP's point. It's not about one mooring rope vs. multiple normal ropes, it's about dev time spent on minutia rather than real fixes. I would have chosen the teleport bug only because that's the one that seems to bite me more often than not. Or the disappearing avatar bug when entering/exiting caves... that one is real handy when embroiled in a battle with a troll. The fight system seems to see the troll bashing away on you but not you trying to hit back or defend.

But yeah, fwiw I liked the convenience of carrying a single rope to lead multiple animals. I would really much rather not have to relog each time I forgot myself and disembarked "wrong" near a gate, door or tree tile.

Edited by Calisthra

It does amaze me how many miss the OP's point. It's not about one mooring rope vs. multiple normal ropes, it's about dev time spent on minutia rather than real fixes. I would have chosen the teleport bug only because that's the one that seems to bite me more often than not. Or the disappearing avatar bug when entering/exiting caves... that one is real handy when embroiled in a battle with a troll. The fight system seems to see the troll bashing away on you but not you trying to hit back or defend.

But yeah, fwiw I liked the convenience of carrying a single rope to lead multiple animals. I would really much rather not have to relog each time I forgot myself and disembarked "wrong" near a gate, door or tree tile.

Edited by Wingz
  • Like 1

This is getting ridiculous, honestly.  The definition of a mooring rope/line:

Noun, 1. mooring line - (nautical) a line that holds an object (especially a boatmooring line - (nautical) a line that holds an object (especially a boat) in place.

source:www.thefreedictionary.com/mooring+line

There it is, nothing about horses.  Everyone complains about Priests, mobs and what not getting nerfed to benefit them, but when something does not go their way, the whine about it.  Honestly, that is what it comes down to.  Get strength up and or deal with the minor weight increase.  

I believe you're generalizing the situation.

I also never understood why they setup mooring ropes and it makes absolute sense they would remove the ability to lead animals with them.

To clarify: We are NOT demand mooring ropes be used. We are attempting to communicate our dissatisfaction with removal of the functionality of using one rope (whatever rope that may be) to lead 4 animals.

Here's a visual: (Typical 7 slot toolbelt for most new players. Alternate is to rummage through the inventory.)

New players toolbelt with mooring rope before the fix: (One click, lead up to 4 animals)

HlxS7Yy.jpg

New players toolbelt with ropes after the fix: (4 clicks and remembering which ropes are in use, to lead up to 4 animals)

qFNXEJ4.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting. Never had the pleasure of the disappearing avatar bug. I do get the teleport message from time to time but isn't that more of a lag issue? The thing that chaps my hide are the tower guards who refuse to leave the caves unless you have a mob directly in line of the cave exit and stand exactly right on the threshold to the cave before calling them. 

It's not hard to determine why they fixed the mooring rope. They have their hands full with Epic, bridges and new walls. The mooring rope bug was an easy fix. Probably took all of two minutes. 

@Tuanta. Now why on earth would you put all those ropes on a tool belt? Just put them in your inventory. It's not like they are hard to find. I think you are obfuscating the issue. Or not. 

Edited by Clatius

I agree though rotating walls is kind of dumb...lol.

How.

It removes nothing from the game other than the frustration of your walls inverting themselves

Thank you, I wasn't aware that a mallet can revert the wall. I also think it's a little silly that you can modify and rotate any wall it would seem, or at least I can modify and rotate walls in my village even if I don't have access to the building.

It's confirmed as a bug.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

@Tuanta. Now why on earth would you put all those ropes on a tool belt? Just put them in your inventory. It's not like they are hard to find. I think you are obfuscating the issue. Or not. 

I attempt to clarify the situation and you distract yet again. sigh

Issue is the same, 1 rope in inventory to lead 4 animals versus 4 ropes which must be managed individually to do the same.

And as for "obfuscating the issue", I recommend you look at your own posts before judging others.

Well, why don't you point out where I made confusing statements. I guess we should be able to nail four boards at once. Or put up four bricks at once. Or pave four tiles at once. Or smith four items at once. Or kill four mobs at once. Etc etc etc. And I am not judging you. I presented an opinion just as you did. Get a dictionary and look up words. Judge and opinion are not even on the same page. Also, if you would bother to read posts other than the ones you wish to troll you would see I have no problems with mooring lines. They were bugged and got fixed. There are more constructive ways to go about it other than bashing the guys who decide whether or not this will be changed back. I've been playing online games for 18 years. The posts that do not bash the game developers are the ones the pay attention to. You would do the same if you were in their shoes. 

So, considering the number of people who want this 'feature', good luck to them. Even you Mr. Tuanta. 

i never knew you could use mooring rope to lead with.  i used normal ropes, always kept 3 on me for moving animals.  So this change was fixing a bug.   Get rope and moving them the  rite way So if i can make it all this time without knowing (been playing wurm for years now) im sure you can def live with out it. +1 to devs fixing bugs,  Just wish the important ones would get taken care of also!