Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Devs - You confuse me

Note: This is not a demand for mooring rope functionality to return, or wanting the rotate walls feature gone. This is a statement regarding the update in general from a concerned player.

This "fix" of the mooring rope doesn't make sense. It's been well known for months, even on the Wiki since October 2014 (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Mooring_rope&oldid=89149) and just now it's been deemed a bug and "fixed". Why though? Did it break the game in some way to use a harder rope to lead four animals, rather than fumbling with four ropes to do the same thing? Using several ropes doesn't increase difficulty, it doesn't enhance the game at all. It adds tedium to a game that really doesn't need more. I could accept this though, if it wasn't for the next change...

You add new wall types, and even the ability to remove the wood trim off of a wall type with a pair of pliers, but we can't change wall types entirely without bashing and rebuilding said walls. What I mean is, if I built an old-style window, I can't use a new-style without bashing it and rebuilding it. Okay, fine - you'd have to do something similar IRL if you wanted to modify your house. Then you add the ability to completely uproot and rotate ANY wall, and put it as a simple right-click option - no special tools required! If you're going to add tedium with ropes, why remove it with this? It doesn't make any sense.

So why can't we swap out wall types via a right-click option as well?

Why can't we lead more than one animal with a single rope?

I'm sure the list could go on, but I'd really, really like to know the reasoning behind this. I'm not trying to start a flame war, a rant, or to do anything else but get an answer... one that may very well help me decide if I'm staying in Wurm or if I'm moving on to more promising games. I love Wurm, I love all you can do and I think that it can be a huge success... but I don't understand what you guys are trying to do anymore.

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 5

Unintended feature until otherwise stated.

That otherwise has now been stated.

Unintended feature until otherwise stated.

That otherwise has now been stated.

I get this, but to yank it out like they did - why? Wasn't it obvious that people were using it like it was an intended feature? While update notes have improved, they've not always been so informative, so how can we tell what is intended and what is unintended?

Then there's the rest of my post. Like I said, I could easily just grumble and adjust, but when you look at the whole of it... no sense.

You're trying to use reason and logic to solve a problem which doesn't adhere to those principles itself.

To understand the devs, you first must think like the devs.

Edited by Kimu
  • Like 1

I agree kenan, I can even adjust not to being able to use a mooring rope. However you headsup on the change, so those that only carry a mooring rope and are using a wagon are screwed at the moment until they run out and get more regular ropes.

The mooring rope was a great addition to the game even if not intended. Maybe adjust the rope weight but re-enable the usage of 4 animals being lead. And for some reason i remeber this being a feature mentioned only once the wagons came out, this allowed for a single rope to more easily lead animals to hitch to a wagon. Never saw a statement saying anything different.

• Like 2

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/120440-please-reconsider-rope-changes/

There's already a topic going about the rope changes, but yes, a lot of the things they deem to be 'important' does confuse me also. With all the random bugs going on (For example, the mob migration pattern on Xanadu that has made almost half the server mobless/very few mobs...while the northern half is loaded out...)...and they choose to 'fix' something minor that was a quality of life improvement for the players, just boggles me.

• Like 1

Intended or not intended, the name mooring rope is a clue in itself. And even though it was a popular non-intended feature it's still a little step in the right direction, one less non-intended feature to be fixed  ;)

• Like 2

Intended or not intended, the name mooring rope is a clue in itself. And even though it was a popular non-intended feature it's still a little step in the right direction, one less non-intended feature to be fixed  ;)

regular rope = regular function with animals

mooring rope = Moor function, like leading moor animals ;)

Not my fault if people can't spell when they make these excellent ropes for leading our animals.

• Like 5

Sure, like "pliers" to remove wood molding is a clue? Not a pry bar?

I get this, but to yank it out like they did - why? Wasn't it obvious that people were using it like it was an intended feature? While update notes have improved, they've not always been so informative, so how can we tell what is intended and what is unintended?

Then there's the rest of my post. Like I said, I could easily just grumble and adjust, but when you look at the whole of it... no sense.

Interesting. I never knew a mooring rope could be used in that way. So hey, I'm okay with that change because many didn't know about this. So yeah, good change.

Then there's the pliers thing and the turning wall thing. It's so, if someone makes one of the new walls with a balcony, jetty or oriel and it ends up inside they can simply rotate it outside. If you want to completely change a wall to something it is not then you should have to tear it down and use new materials to remake it. Hopefully you don't ask them to make building removal more realistic. I kinda like the one click and it's gone. Would hate to have to bash the entire thing. 

Interesting. I never knew a mooring rope could be used in that way. So hey, I'm okay with that change because many didn't know about this. So yeah, good change.

Then there's the pliers thing and the turning wall thing. It's so, if someone makes one of the new walls with a balcony, jetty or oriel and it ends up inside they can simply rotate it outside. If you want to completely change a wall to something it is not then you should have to tear it down and use new materials to remake it. Hopefully you don't ask them to make building removal more realistic. I kinda like the one click and it's gone. Would hate to have to bash the entire thing. 

and they wonder why we dont report things.

• Like 5

If "unintended" features are not wanted to be removed they should never be made public by being posted on the forums, since this just draws the Dev's attention to them. This is the case with mooring ropes being used to lead multiple horses. No surprise here really.

The old adage still applies: Loose lips sink ships.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

So why can't we swap out wall types via a right-click option as well?

Why can't we lead more than one animal with a single rope?

-snip- Wasn't it obvious that people were using it like it was an intended feature? -snip-

you'd be surprised by the things Rolf would be surprised by, lol

regular rope = regular function with animals

mooring rope = Moor function, like leading moor animals ;)

Not my fault if people can't spell when they make these excellent ropes for leading our animals.

Ugh I've run out of likes! TY for this perfect post.

• Like 1

I think you miss my point... some changes don't mesh with the way things are or have been. If a balcony or jetty ends up inside, isn't that a bug? Why right-click to turn? I'm also not saying we shouldn't be able to turn the wall, but why then do we have to tear it down to change the type? Say I built old windows and want a balcony... why can't I just change it whenever now, since we can rotate whenever? And why can't we use pliers to change a plain wall back to a regular one?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  You are absolutely right. We should just wave a wand and presto a pile of building supplies. Then wave it again and presto a building any way we want it. Heck, why bother with having to do anything. Just pass out wands that do anything you want. Why bother with tools? And boats, bah. Just instantly go any place you want. Best idea would be to enter the game as a noob and magically create anything you can think of. Who needs all that bother of actually playing a game.  :P

Sheesh.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  You are absolutely right. We should just wave a wand and presto a pile of building supplies. Then wave it again and presto a building any way we want it. Heck, why bother with having to do anything. Just pass out wands that do anything you want. Why bother with tools? And boats, bah. Just instantly go any place you want. Best idea would be to enter the game as a noob and magically create anything you can think of. Who needs all that bother of actually playing a game.  :P

Sheesh.

People clamoring for a better and more convenient User Interface, isn't the same as people clamoring for a cheat code that lets them breeze through the game's content.

This change doesn't really effect me, but I can see how much this can ruin the day of a person who finds enjoyment out of playing as a horse breeder. It takes this streamlined approach to animal management, and sets it back.

People are calling this change insignificant - but that might be the reason why people are so irritated. It's not insignificant to them. A small convenience can mean the world to the masses.

• Like 3

Sheesh.

I'm just making points, not asking for super easy mode. Honestly, I think you should have to destroy your wall and rebuild it in the proper direction. My POINT is... they don't add up.

• Like 1

Sheesh.

Reductio ad ridiculum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

Please stop trolling.

• Like 1

Try leading 4 horses with this.

SpBZDYY.jpg

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

SpBZDYY.jpg

try leading ONE with this. LOL

come on guys, it is just a freaking rope and now you have to carry 2 more or  what so ever. how often do you have to lead 4 anmials anyways? I am playing this game for almost 3 years now and i had maybe 2 or 3 situations when i had to lead 4 at a time... so what, grab a few more ropes and be gone with it... geeee. there are by far more "fixes" that ##### off than this one...

Edited by hoof2000
  • Like 2

Still having a hard time understanding why rotating walls is such a big deal or a big break from realism. The devs are giving us the ability to fix a bug on our own, instead of them spending weeks in order to ensure that walls are always created properly (something I'm sure is rather difficult to do and unlikely to get right 100% of the time), they chose to cut out the middle man and allow us to rotate walls. I consider that a win-win. Is it the most realistic? No, but then again neither is the troll trying to bash in my head as I stand on by my parapet (its a game after all).

And yes, if you build one wall and then want to build a different one in its place you should have to bash it and rebuild, no problems there as far as realism goes.

And they should have added something to replace this feature mooring rope feature, its obviously not only useful but something people desire.

• Like 3

SpBZDYY.jpg

Can lead an army of them :)