Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

Elevation Reset

Is no one concerned about there being f2p allowed, even with every gimp available to 'stop the abuse' the new meta will be abusing it to the extreme, there won't be the little 'oh we'll just pop local this one time, or take this one catapult', they'll be at every single event and fight, that's why there needs to be no free to play accounts in pvp

• Like 11

Is no one concerned about there being f2p allowed, even with every gimp available to 'stop the abuse' the new meta will be abusing it to the extreme, there won't be the little 'oh we'll just pop local this one time, or take this one catapult', they'll be at every single event and fight, that's why there needs to be no free to play accounts in pvp

It's probably the reason I'm most against the reset. No f2p alts has been awesome for Elevation. People will just swim the alts across water or use rowboats / bridge the main island and the other islands. I have NO clue why they'd want to change that. There isn't a way to fix f2p alt griefing beyond simply not allowing f2p accounts, as every "fix" just changes how they're used at best. There are homeservers for a reason. There's really nothing that a f2p account can contribute to Elevation anyways.

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 5

There is also one more issue with this, you can just add alts to your village and spawn them there. I've seen people using their priest alts during raids to pull in catapults, drop sand dirt and scout around. This would be even a bigger issue with f2p, unless there is some sort of a system preventing f2p accounts from spawning in the mainland even on deeds.

Edited by Edvinas

Alts have always been kinda iffy to me. F2p, p2p, priest alts, spy alts, griefer alts, whatever. If f2p alts are allowed, it invites bored little kids to cause problems. And if p2p alts are allowed, it's just more pay-to-win garbage infesting the server (and anyone familiar with the Dadamage episode knows just how much damage a single prem alt can cause). There's not much you can really do to stem that, aside from placing a hard ban on alt use altogether. And I think we all know that's not going to happen.

Alts have always been kinda iffy to me. F2p, p2p, priest alts, spy alts, griefer alts, whatever. If f2p alts are allowed, it invites bored little kids to cause problems. And if p2p alts are allowed, it's just more pay-to-win garbage infesting the server (and anyone familiar with the Dadamage episode knows just how much damage a single prem alt can cause). There's not much you can really do to stem that, aside from placing a hard ban on alt use altogether. And I think we all know that's not going to happen.

Ele will more than likely get game rules once its f2p. Desertion & serenity has them, Im sure they'l push them onto ele as-well

Ele will more than likely get game rules once its f2p. Desertion & serenity has them, Im sure they'l push them onto ele as-well

Yeah I can't see adding f2p and then adding more anti pvp rules to Elevation is going to help much...

• Like 11

Bash the Home Servers then don't want F2P typical Elevation crap.....You need them because you can't get enough people..Or do you not understand that part yet?  You don't want F2P but want Home Servers to be just like Elevation in all ways for PvP except that.  Hypocritical 100%..How about we just erase Elevation all together and make you pick a Home Server?

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

Yeah I can't see adding f2p and then adding more anti pvp rules to Elevation is going to help much...

Ehh it'l keep out new and un experienced people from doing it, Which is more than enough imo

I don't think new players will be a problem

The whole 'us vs them' home server vs elevation argument is very divisive. Elevation is available to all premium players and as such they all had the right to vote on its future.

Bash the Home Servers then don't want F2P typical Elevation crap.....You need them because you can't get enough people..Or do you not understand that part yet?  You don't want F2P but want Home Servers to be just like Elevation in all ways for PvP except that.  Hypocritical 100%..How about we just erase Elevation all together and make you pick a Home Server?

Not sure if you're referring to me?  I've never bashed home servers, I have a deed on one and used to live there

Elevation is supposed to be main pvp server, f2p doesn't bring in pvpers unless them prem which is required.

Hold on this is all good news and all, but last I check we didn't want a map equal the size of chaos. Unless your gonna make boats go 45 kmh too. Rivers and islands are pointless. This is my many years of raiding and pvping experience. Chaos took ages to go anywhere. 3 hours sail rides on knarrs were horrible.

IMHO, the not-so-obvious obvious plan behind this is as follows:

1.  Create Elevation the size of Chaos.  

2.  This will make Elevation big enough that most players will gravitate there on a permanent basis to get closer to the action.  

3.  It will be found that eventually, the need for kingdom maps will be pointless.

4.  A poll will be conducted to get a feel for the idea of shutting down the kingdom maps in favor of everyone living on Elevation.

5.  The kingdom maps will be shut down as a result of the obvious favor of the players.

6.  The result will be a single Epic map with its faster skill gain, new siege weapons, and new features brought in from Challenge.

Voila!  Epic fixed, manageable, and alive again - hopefully.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

I broke it down in some other thread months ago

the cons extremely outweigh the pros of allowing or playing on a f2p character in pvp

-No kingdom will invite you

-You can't do even one single useful thing to contribute to any sort of engagement

-can't ride horses

If you play and understand mechanics i'm sure you could think of dozens of more, and the obvious abuse that would come.

I also don't think people understand that if there's going to be abuse, there isn't any middle ground or low usage, it's pushed to the max and exploited to the extreme far of availability towards whatever is being done.

• Like 2

I don't like quoting myself but since you quoted me a few times, I did directly cover this in the announcement. Namely,

"I am certain it will not be the only change to Epic which will be used to improve overall gameplay, but it is certainly a critical step towards breathing new life into the server."

The reset of the Elevation server is the big news which people need to start preparing for first of all, and after the poll a lot of people were very anxious to hear as soon as possible after a decision on a reset was reached.

We are still looking at feedback we have received over the past few weeks and any feedback presented in this thread about changes that can or should be made to the Epic cluster more generally, in order to make it better for everyone who plays there or who might want to play there.

Good. I really want to believe this is true. I hope that those changes will be implemented on the new map release date at the latest. Would be a shame to let current mechanics wreak havoc there.

I initially even missed the mention of f2p characters on the new server, and I must say I agree with all the scepticism on this.

I think the target audience for these characters is people who want to try out the game? Which means they know absolutely nothing about the way this game works, and for them to be put in a situation where they are completely defenseless (5ql short sword + 10 ql shield + at most 20fs vs a 10 man SOTG zerg wrecking their newly made wooden shack with a catapult) against virtually everything on the server (dunno how it is now but newbies used to die to large rats and pigs when I started). I do not think there are many people who will remember that as a positive and exciting experience. In fact, I am having trouble imagining pvp looking fun at all if you have no idea of how things work in the first place. Some core concepts behind wurm pvp (the idea that you are fighting for a cause (e.g. to defend a deed), or the knowledge that what you take with you may be lost should you die, teamwork is not just listening to your raid lead, no UI widgets to show group status etc.) only really start to make sense once you get a feel for what wurm is like and, perhaps more importantly, once your character has a certain set of base skills so you at least have enough CR to participate in combat.

Even without considering all the things the group of experienced wurm players would use these free banks spies griefers characters for I think it's a bad idea, simply because f2p chars can't offer a real peak into the depressing I need help someone hnngnggngngngngngnnggwhereismyadrenaline exciting world of wurm pvp

• Like 5

Good. I really want to believe this is true. I hope that those changes will be implemented on the new map release date at the latest. Would be a shame to let current mechanics wreak havoc there.

I initially even missed the mention of f2p characters on the new server, and I must say I agree with all the scepticism on this.

I think the target audience for these characters is people who want to try out the game? Which means they know absolutely nothing about the way this game works, and for them to be put in a situation where they are completely defenseless (5ql short sword + 10 ql shield + at most 20fs vs a 10 man SOTG zerg wrecking their newly made wooden shack with a catapult) against virtually everything on the server (dunno how it is now but newbies used to die to large rats and pigs when I started). I do not think there are many people who will remember that as a positive and exciting experience. In fact, I am having trouble imagining pvp looking fun at all if you have no idea of how things work in the first place. Some core concepts behind wurm pvp (the idea that you are fighting for a cause (e.g. to defend a deed), or the knowledge that what you take with you may be lost should you die, teamwork is not just listening to your raid lead, no UI widgets to show group status etc.) only really start to make sense once you get a feel for what wurm is like and, perhaps more importantly, once your character has a certain set of base skills so you at least have enough CR to participate in combat.

Even without considering all the things the group of experienced wurm players would use these free banks spies griefers characters for I think it's a bad idea, simply because f2p chars can't offer a real peak into the depressing I need help someone hnngnggngngngngngnnggwhereismyadrenaline exciting world of wurm pvp

You lost me at....exciting world of wurm pvp lol! :D

We are still looking at feedback we have received over the past few weeks and any feedback presented in this thread about changes that can or should be made to the Epic cluster more generally, in order to make it better for everyone who plays there or who might want to play there.

interested in seeing the rest of the changes.  That being said, i will probably show up and help rebuild a little bit at least.

Does raiding home servers count as bashing them?

IMHO, the not-so-obvious obvious plan behind this is as follows:

1.  Create Elevation the size of Chaos.  

2.  This will make Elevation big enough that most players will gravitate there on a permanent basis to get closer to the action.  

3.  It will be found that eventually, the need for kingdom maps will be pointless.

4.  A poll will be conducted to get a feel for the idea of shutting down the kingdom maps in favor of everyone living on Elevation.

5.  The kingdom maps will be shut down as a result of the obvious favor of the players.

6.  The result will be a single Epic map with its faster skill gain, new siege weapons, and new features brought in from Challenge.

Voila!  Epic fixed, manageable, and alive again - hopefully.

This is exactly what I believe will happen. It explains both the size and layout of the new map and the f2p players - ultimately there is nowhere else for them to go except Elevation Mk 2.

I'm convinced Desertion, Serenity and Affliction are next. Perhaps not straight away, but I think it's coming.

Although change can be scary, I"m gonna run with accepting it and making the best of it and will go over to help rebuild once the new server opens up!   Good reason to get together  make dreams and dark fortresses happen again!

I am going to make a suggestion, not sure if it has been made.

I would like to see 2 starter deeds per kingdom. 1 on the outer island, 1 on the main. Limit f2p from spawning at the main island starter deed. This gives home server ability to quickly cross into Elevation (or vice versa) without taking a long trip by boat.

Is this a bad idea?

• Like 4

I dont think its a bad idea. If the maps chaos size two starter deeds each would work well enough.

• Like 1

dont allow f2p accounts

they do nothing but encourage griefing, and they are used as such already on chaos to a much larger extent.

the only time they aren't used for griefing is to hold wardeeds, which hurts pvp.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 9