Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

Elevation Reset

For some time there has been discussion and a general feeling that the Epic cluster needs some changes in order to breathe new life into it. Over the past few weeks we have invited everyone, especially those who play on Epic, to provide feedback and suggestions on ways we can improve it.

One piece of regular feedback we received was a feeling that the map for the central PvP server, Elevation, should be reset and this would be one step towards making Epic a much better experience in the long term for everyone who plays there now, in the past, and, ultimately, in the future. Last week we conducted a poll on Elevation which asked premium players how they feel about a possible reset of that server. A large number of players turned out to have their say. The final result was 68.8% in favour of a map reset, a big majority.

Since then, the developers have been thinking very carefully about a possible reset. While the poll on Elevation was not binding on us, it did let us know that most players there would view a reset favourably. Taking this into consideration, and a range of other factors, we decided that the best course of action would be to reset the server and make a few changes to it at the same time. This decision was not reached lightly as we know the huge effect this has on many players.

The current plan is as follows:

• Elevation will be shut down for the last time on April 13th.
    A brand new map will be opened in its place as soon as possible afterwards. Our current aim is 15th April or before.

• Desertion, Serenity and Affliction will be unaffected.

• The new map will be bigger than the current Elevation server, in fact it will be equal to Chaos on the Freedom cluster. It will involve a large central island with further islands near the home server borders.

• Deed costs and unused upkeep will be refunded to mayors. On-deed traders will be refunded for 20 silver each. We will try to assess the ownership of off-deed traders to decide on who should get refunds for those. For now all trader planting has been disabled in light of this.

• Skills and player personal inventories will be completely unaffected by this, as well as bank accounts and unopened mail. However, the map will be removed so this means all terrain modifications, structures, ground items, containers and creatures will be removed permanently. Over the coming month we urge players to take full advantage of their home servers for storage purposes if necessary, as they will remain as they are.

• Once the new server is opened, all players will enter the game at the new starter towns for their kingdoms if they were on Elevation when it is shut down. All kingdom leaders will remain the same, however PMK disbanding will be disabled until their new capitals have been made.

• Finally, the new server and map will be open to both premium and non-premium players alike. To reduce the possibility of abuse of free characters, they will not be able to spawn on the central island - only outlying border islands near their kingdom start deeds.

I understand that this may not be the decision that some of you wanted. I completely understand that many players have invested a lot of time on Elevation through the construction of amazing deeds, some of which I personally had the privilege to (allegedly not) help build! *cough* Zerus *cough*

Seriously though, the developers made their decision only after very careful consideration, that this was the right way to go on this. I am certain it will not be the only change to Epic which will be used to improve overall gameplay, but it is certainly a critical step towards breathing new life into the server.

I hope to organise or inspire some sort of event to celebrate the years of fun we've had with Elevation. Perhaps a screenshot competition? Best stories? Let me know what you think!

I will be reading all constructive feedback and responding to as much of it as possible. You can also send feedback to me through forum PMs or by email to ross@wurmonline.com

• Like 21

Join me in rebuilding Avarga!

The only thing that worries me is that since the home servers will now be smaller than Elevation, we will have the same problem with what we had when Affliction was smaller than Elevation and you could server hop to gain ground a lot faster.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

I will stop dig for skyforge dirtwalls now. And we start over again in april!

Nice

• Like 1

I know everyone thought of this but people hopping between new ele and smaller homeservers for faster travel is going to be kinda annoying

glad about the reset though

Edited by LukCandy

Sounds like a popular decision to be fair, but I'm out. I just can't face another rebuild, I'm already exhausted.

I wish everyone the best of luck with this, and since I've still got quite a lot of premium time left on my accounts I'll try do my duty and help MR rebuild their city on the new server. But ultimately I've lost all trust/confidence in the Wurm devs and therefore cannot justify spending more time on Wurm long-term.

It's been a hell of a ride, and I still think Wurm has the best mechanics in any game I've seen in some 30 years of playing MMOs. But for me personally, stability is the primary factor in an MMO - it's an absolute requirement.

Hold on this is all good news and all, but last I check we didn't want a map equal the size of chaos. Unless your gonna make boats go 45 kmh too. Rivers and islands are pointless. This is my many years of raiding and pvping experience. Chaos took ages to go anywhere. 3 hours sail rides on knarrs were horrible.

Edited by AceRifle
  • Like 3

If I wanted to play on Chaos, I would be on Chaos. 

That's really all I have to say

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 9

Minedoors would be a great thing to be back. Either that or well.. we gonna have war deeds everywhere.

• Like 2

Minedoors would be a great thing to be back. Either that or well.. we gonna have war deeds everywhere.

not sure if Epic has this yet or not, but if you're going to implement something like this, I'd probably recommend a system that doesn't allow people to stack high dirt wall ontop of high dirt wall, or something that allows catapuilting to be very difficult.

One of the horrible things about wurm pvp is travelling several hours to hit somewhere, to spend hours catapulting to get in and finding you're unable to finish the raid, or atleast put in enough damage to be able to come back the next day to hit it again, raid damage can take less than 10% of the time to fix than it did for the whole raid to be done.

• Like 3