Sign in to follow this  
Xalorum

Please reconsider rope changes

I never knew about this mooring rope trick of being able to lead 4 animals with one until I saw it posted on the forums a few weeks back. Also noted the FF guys mentioned it recently in one of their Vids. This makes me think this publicity lead to its removal.

Anyway, I have never used one for this purpose as my guys always carry 2 regular ropes. Put em on the toolbelt and it works fine even with wagons, if you just lead 2 at a time to it. You can also unhitch only 2 horses from the wagon and lead them into the pen then get the other 2. Just takes a bit more time for those who have previously used this "unintended" feature to their advantage.

This change has little effect on those who have always used regular ropes to lead animals. Probably best others get used to doing the same now.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I never knew about this mooring rope trick of being able to lead 4 animals with one until I saw it posted on the forums a few weeks back. Also noted the FF guys mentioned it recently in one of their Vids. This makes me think this publicity lead to its removal.

Anyway, I have never used one for this purpose as my guys always carry 2 regular ropes. Put em on the toolbelt and it works fine even with wagons, if you just lead 2 at a time to it. You can also unhitch only 2 horses from the wagon and lead them into the pen then get the other 2. Just takes a bit more time for those who have previously used this "unintended" feature to their advantage.

This change has little effect on those who have always used regular ropes to lead animals. Probably best others get used to doing the same now.

=Ayes=

And this is why we can't have nice things. Do some people on this forum like get turnt when they deny any form of progress that allows for ease of gameplay. It's no wonder wurm can't grow as a community. Heck a casual wurm player is a guy sinking 6 hours a day and 12 a day on a weekend.

All people want is a reduction of unnecessary work. It's supposed to be a game, not an all encompassing life devouring monster.

• Like 1

and they still wonder why player retention is so low

every few days theres a new nerf that maked the game less fun

and more a chore,

many good suggestions in here on how it could have been "fixed"

instead without removing the ability

+1 revert please

• Like 1

I never knew about the mooring rope and critter thing. But if I did, I'd have used it. The current way is a pain in the ass leading multiple critters. And then what happens if you unhitch your wagon and the critters all bolt? (Yea, I know, 'saddle' them, but that's annoying for the fact that then they don't graze but stay planted to a single tile, and will die there when food is one tile away...)

Tonight my alt attempted yet again (though only 1 time today, most days 3 or 4 times) to confirm the validity of the Wolfgang Pauli exclusion principle (in essence two things occupying the same space), by forgetting to disembark the cart in the certified 12 tile clear of fences/walls exclusion zone and ended up 1/2 inside the workshop wall. - relog

My main later sailed north to Elevation, did some business and turned around only to cross the border into a desolate new land, ankle deep in water, no boat in sight, unable to turn and peer in any direction. - relog

Returning to the boat cave, standard squeeze the square peg knarr through the round peg hole by 15 pushes.

Disembark, forgot something, re-embark, unable to turn, look, move, click menu's - relog

Ride 300+ tiles in any direction, suffer frame rate issues, lag spikes - relog

It really wouldn't take too much to write an ad-hoc sql query to see on average how many times per day most users log out only to log back in within 30 seconds.  That would indicate to me that perhaps there are more pressing issues than fiddling with multifloor load/unload replacement with haul and rope changes.

Other than attempting to remedy bugs, why else would someone log out and log back in within 30 seconds in general.

Perhaps if the game were flawless and didn't suffer these issues, seemingly arbitrary changes like this may sting less, but in the context of issues that DO directly affect gameplay, it makes this change seem almost inane and gleefully malicious.

• Like 7

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Tonight my alt attempted yet again (though only 1 time today, most days 3 or 4 times) to confirm the validity of the Wolfgang Pauli exclusion principle (in essence two things occupying the same space), by forgetting to disembark the cart in the certified 12 tile clear of fences/walls exclusion zone and ended up 1/2 inside the workshop wall. - relog

My main later sailed north to Elevation, did some business and turned around only to cross the border into a desolate new land, ankle deep in water, no boat in sight, unable to turn and peer in any direction. - relog

Returning to the boat cave, standard squeeze the square peg knarr through the round peg hole by 15 pushes.

Disembark, forgot something, re-embark, unable to turn, look, move, click menu's - relog

Ride 300+ tiles in any direction, suffer frame rate issues, lag spikes - relog

It really wouldn't take too much to write an ad-hoc sql query to see on average how many times per day most users log out only to log back in within 30 seconds.  That would indicate to me that perhaps there are more pressing issues than fiddling with multifloor load/unload replacement with haul and rope changes.

Other than attempting to remedy bugs, why else would someone log out and log back in within 30 seconds in general.

Perhaps if the game were flawless and didn't suffer these issues, seemingly arbitrary changes like this may sting less, but in the context of issues that DO directly affect gameplay, it makes this change seem almost inane and gleefully malicious.

Whilst I would not go so far as to say gleefully malicious, I would say 'asinine'.

Especially considering how many times we all have to log in/out each day just to travel, etc.

We know the devs work hard. We really do. It would just be nice if once in a while, even if that's even once in a very brief while, they'd stop to touch base with the players and see what would actually WORK in regards to player retention and continued paying of existing premium accounts instead of constant shooting themselves in the foot over ridiculous things like this.

Massive, epic, PR fail.

Edited by Belrindor

I never knew about the mooring rope and critter thing. But if I did, I'd have used it. The current way is a pain in the ass leading multiple critters. And then what happens if you unhitch your wagon and the critters all bolt? (Yea, I know, 'saddle' them, but that's annoying for the fact that then they don't graze but stay planted to a single tile, and will die there when food is one tile away...)

You can saddle bison ??

Something to also consider is that the mooring rope was designed specifically to moor ships to prevent them from moving and drifting away. This is contrary to the concept of leading anything, as that involves movement. I have no idea of how it was discovered that horses (animals) could be lead by using a mooring rope but it is quite obvious that this was not its intended purpose, so now it has been removed. Makes more sense to me this way.

=Ayes=

You can saddle bison ??

yes

Something to also consider is that the mooring rope was designed specifically to moor ships to prevent them from moving and drifting away. This is contrary to the concept of leading anything, as that involves movement. I have no idea of how it was discovered that horses (animals) could be lead by using a mooring rope but it is quite obvious that this was not its intended purpose, so now it has been removed. Makes more sense to me this way.

=Ayes=

Does it matter if it was not the intended purpose? It's a game. For enjoyment. Consider that before you next wordy post.

You guys are funny.  Have any of you actually tried to lead 4 horses with 1 rope, a rope of any kind?  It doesn't work.  I never knew this bug existed and won't miss it now that it has been fixed.    Now, why don't you all take a chill pill and go make 4 ropes to carry with you.

You guys are funny.  Have any of you actually tried to lead 4 horses with 1 rope, a rope of any kind?  It doesn't work.  I never knew this bug existed and won't miss it now that it has been fixed.    Now, why don't you all take a chill pill and go make 4 ropes to carry with you.

It was the best trick I ever heard about, especially as a horse breeder it made life 1000% better.

Those that didn't know seem a little mad lol

This is too funny. You would think someone took away running. So you have to use one rope for each animal. People have done it that way forever. Heck, some didn't even know ropes of any kind were bugged. They fix a bugged rope and everyone makes like they took away something really important. It's NOT that big of a deal. That's my opinion. No big deal. I don't care if the fix it. I don't care if they don't fix it. 

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

It was the best trick I ever heard about, especially as a horse breeder it made life 1000% better.

Those that didn't know seem a little mad lol

If you have difficulty handling animals you have to many animals, cull your heard.

I've never used this but I always thought it was intentional seeing as neither of the rope changes were documented. I guess I should know by now though that everything that makes your experience more pleasant is a bug

• Like 5

The cardinal rule of MMO gaming has seemingly been forgotten here.

1.) If it adds to the player's pleasure (and therefore likelihood to keep paying a monthly fee) without detracting from another player's pleasure, it's a good thing.

NO ONE was hurt by mooring ropes being able to be used to lead multiple animals around. People only benefited, there was no victim or anyone who got griefed against.

After all, it IS a GAME. People play it to have fun. Not have a simulation of life in every respect.

And for the 'realism' aspect? Please. Even the people who design the game don't give half a whit about 'realism'. (A dead wildcat (house cat) weighing as much as a dead bison?!?)

And I think it was one of the GMs, or maybe a dev (can't find the quote right now) that said something like "I'm always amused when people talk about 'realism' in a game with dragons and magic."

So there you go.

The only thing people see here is their gaming time if they lead a lot of animals has just gotten drastically more repetitive. That's not what anyone wants. And that's why people are complaining.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I use 4 ropes and always have. But then again I only lead critters once in a while, and then usually only from one spot on my deed to another. I can't even imagine the hell that these people will have to go through if they're forced to use 4 separate ropes and target, say, bison if they get unhitched in hostile territory and all 4 instantly bolt to the 4 winds.

That's actually why I use horses on my wagon. They don't typically insta-bolt when unhitched, even unsaddled.

I killed all of my bison once they were programmed to insta-bolt when they tweaked the animal AI a while back. You think the devs intended everyone to get rid of their bison? Not likely. Yet that tweak has never been fixed or adjusted. It's just like they figured it was 'good enough' and stopped even bothering trying to fix it.

But then I see more and more and more reductionism going on, and nothing being trotted out to replace it.

You don't TAKE SOMETHING AWAY from your customers without making a peace offering (usually better) to replace it first. Doing so is not only bad business, but it's typically just awfully dumb. Really. This isn't rocket science. You want to keep people happy and keep them paying.

The overarching question should be asked is 'will this make most people happy, or will it seriously tick them off'. If the answer is no, simply don't do it. It really is just that simple. But the track record has proven that I'm just talking to myself here.

• Like 2

If you have difficulty handling animals you have to many animals, cull your heard.

It's not a solution when the game encourages horses used in combat and you can lose up to 60+ a week, not including the ones that have a lot of bad traits or die of disease/starvation.

This for me... I enjoyed the mooring rope as I was able to use it, but just started using it 2 weeks ago and I realize how handy its been... But I honestly do not care if this comes back or not... It would be nice if they brought it back, or another version of it yes.....

But I am more concerned as to why they were focusing on this in the first place.... There is so many more bugs out there that need attention.... It concerns me that priorities are not in order.... High to low people =\