Sign in to follow this  
irobotnik8

New Uses for Lead Lumps

Lead is pretty useless... You can make balls and anchors out of it. Granted, anchors are pretty useful, but that's really the only use for lead. My suggestion: allow the crafting of basic materials from lead lumps.

These materials would be limited to:

- rivets

- nails

- wires

- locks (maybe)

- hooks

The point is just to make lead more useful. Currently it does nothing unless you're a shipbuilder.

• Like 1

Lead is a very soft material. Its density is only 11.34 g·cm−3. The hardness is only 38–50 MPa. Sure make a house out of Nails made from lead and next morning Wake up dead cause the house collapsed.

Lead wouldnt be appropiate for any of your suggestions.

But I agree, maybe some other useful thing would be good for lead. But keep it realistic when suggesting.

lead pipes ?  and get lead poisoning as did happen ?

We need lead poisoning in wurm, So i can poison people from drinking my pee water bucket i leave in my cart.

+1

Lead is next to useless unless you want to make an anchor or some limited jewelry items.

Make all the resources in Wurm at least semi-usefull.

• Like 1

Potential uses for lead that would be interesting in Wurm: (I'm not saying these are good ideas. Just interesting ones.)

• Lead Frames for larger windows.
  • Lead Frames for furniture.
  • A Printing Press.
  • Roof Framing.
  • Lead "Bullets" for Slings.
  • Using Metallurgy to Alloy Lead, and Alchemy to turn the Alloyed Lead into a poison that can be applied to weaponry.
  • Alternate source of base color dye, (White, Black and Grey) as well as Red.
  • Using Metallurgy to Alloy Lead, and mix it with other metals to make Gold. (History buffs might find this funny.)
  • Pencils.
Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

I think the Portcullis should require 2 very large lead weights to counter balance the weight of the iron in the door. (obviously would be unpopular addition).

Lead weights for fishing, to troll fish from boat at speed.

Lead based paint - not another dye, but actual paints (for when the new texture system comes out) and yes, you can get disease while working with it.

wait for it....

Stained Glass Windows!

+1

Lead in it's current state is next to useless.

Lead could be mixed with tin to make pewter for decorative items, like flower pots and statues.

pair-pewter-art-nouveau-vases.jpg?itok=m

I've liked the idea of making enchantments work-based instead of lottery-based for years.  Perhaps change enchanting into runecraft, and use lead and favor as raw materials, and the figurine and a carving knife as tools.  Base the maximum enchantment quality on channeling skill and allow lead to be used above it's quality, like leather in leatherworking?

This would instantly make lead useful, and simultaneously make enchantment creation take more time per enchantment, but be far more reliable...

Replace zinc white dye with lead white dye.

Anyways, there are enough uses for lead as is, you can grind jewelrysmithing with it if you know what you're doing

• Like 1

Tin + Lead = Pewter.  Pewter = More uses for pottery.  Win-win.

Lead Weights (for fishing)- Blacksmithing

Lead counter-weight-  Weaponsmithing

• Like 2

I was reading a book and was reminded that lead was sometimes used as a replacement for mortar, especially when the ground or area was unusually wet (like marsh).  So perhaps that could also be another use for lead = lead mortar.

Lead is pretty useless... You can make balls and anchors out of it. Granted, anchors are pretty useful, but that's really the only use for lead. My suggestion: allow the crafting of basic materials from lead lumps.

These materials would be limited to:

- rivets

- nails

- wires

- locks (maybe)

- hooks

The point is just to make lead more useful. Currently it does nothing unless you're a shipbuilder.

You are not serious of course. Lead nails? Lead rivets? Lead LOCKS?? None of the suggestions in your list make any sense so I have to assume you are just kidding. I would be more likely to look for more uses for tin than for lead.

Let lead be useful in forging war machine ammo, the blunt force kind for catapults and trebuchets.

Larger projectiles for single point damage to fortifications, and smaller grouped projectiles for scattering damage over a larger area, which would be handier for dealing with troops.

Also aye ingame uses for lead should reflect the metal's RL properties: incredibly soft, dense (granted gold is used in armor ingame; however, no one said it was pure gold), and has a low melting point. Lead was/is used for many, many things even after people discovered how toxic it is. Lead framing for glass was mentioned, there's glass soldering especially with stained glass. Course having glass ingame would be a bit of a prerequisite.

• Like 1

Canon balls! Also, we need canons.

Catapult and trebuchet balls...?

I really like the idea of crafted lead war machine ammo.

Perhaps even allow area effect spells to be enchanted onto the lead ammo, so that when it is fired, there is a spell effect created where the ammo impacted? Area effect artillery, anyone?

Wikipedia 'Tin can':

"Early tin cans were sealed by soldering with a tin-lead alloy, which could lead to lead poisoning. Infamously, in the 1845 Arctic expedition of Sir John Franklin, crew members suffered from severe lead poisoning, thought to be caused by eating tin canned food. More recent research suggests the lead poisoning was more likely to have been caused by the water pipe system on the two ships."

Sealed containers which preserve contents (prevent decay) until opened.

I'd say give alchemy some love and allow it to be transmuted to some other more useful metal.

Doesn't help the uselessness of the lead itself though :/ Most things it could be useful for would be outright toxic to wurmian health