Sign in to follow this  
spellcast

March Treasure Hunt - Exodus - Mar 28th*

The next hunt will be on Exodus, we are aiming for the 28th.  (Hunt to begin @ 3:00 GMT March 28th)

Time to be announced a bit closer to the date. (hopefully not quite AS close as the febuary hunt, but its sometimes hard to sort out a GM schedule for someone who can turn it on due to real life)

This hunt will be mostly the same in format, 

-HOWEVER-

There will not be a single large prize at the end, instead there will be between 10 and 15 smaller prizes that will be awarded one each to the first players that complete the hunt. (so if we end up with 15 prizes, they will go to 15 different characters) The prizes themselves should average around 4-6 silver in value each, tho they will not be identical and we are still determining exactly what they will be. The prizes will be awarded to the players as you complete the hunt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Info-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be  IS a sign at the start deed where players can begin the hunt once it has been activated.  The sign is located near the south exit of the deed across from the town smithy building.

The hunt is a series of clues, each clue consisting of 4 lines that (more or less) rhyme. When you solve the clue you will find a specific location and possibly a specific action to take there in order to get the next clue.

Repeating the action at that location will give you the clue again as a reminder if you need it. Examining the hunt sign at the start deed will also give you a reminder of the clue you are currently working on. (but really, you could save yourself a lot of potential travel by just jotting the clue down in notepad or taking a screenshot.)

Speaking of travel, This hunt is part race as well, so travel WILL happen, and there ARE hostile mobs around many of the clues. Take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. You will not need a boat, you can travel to all of the clues on foot and they will all be on the exodous server. 

You must complete each clue in order to get the next clue, there is no way to skip clues.

After the last hunt, i remembered to make sure that none of the clues will require priests to go unfaithful on this one.

( again, my apologies about the mining and prospecting on the pristine hunt)

Approximately 30 minutes after the hunt has begun, the first clue will be posted in this thread so that anyone who solves it can join in at that location without needing to travel to the start deed first.

This event is intended to be a fun and FAIR contest. NONE of the clues will require you to break any game rules, and there will NEVER be a need to break into any fenced area to get the next clue. You are also not permitted to BUILD fences or buildings in order to slow down fellow competitors or block them from clue locations. Doing so will lead to a Disqualification and potentially a BAN from Wurm for breaking the hunt rules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Notes---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some players teamed up to run the hunt on pristine, allowing them to check multiple possibilities at the same time: This is fine, Wurm is a multiplayer game and teamwork is a part of many aspects of the game. We are not going to discourage it in the hunt events, but instead are trying a wider distribution of prizes to encourage more players to participate.

About the clues:

The first line or two gives a general area, a landmark, deed, or other notable location,  (the community map is usually a good reference for this)

the remaining lines give specific directions to narrow down where exactly you need to go in relation to that point.

These are CLUES - not exact instructions. They are intentionally a bit vague. You will need to think outside of the box for some of them. 

As an example;

on the pristine hunt part of one of the clues was

"at the end of the wasteland"   

now, there is a desert on the pristine map labeled "the wasteland" and the clue fell underneath the 'd' on the map, or, at the end of the words "the wasteland"  (there was a convenient little tar pit right there to use as a reference so you would know you were in the right area when in the game)

As a final note, I know i said in the thread for the pristine hunt that i would post some ideas about future hunts, and i still plan to do that, but i've had a bit more to do IRL than expected this past week and have been spending my time working on THIS hunt and tweaking the end reward for it so have not had a chance to write up a coherent post yet. I really will get one up before too much longer.

• Like 12

Atop an oddly green hill seen from the start
In a labyrinth of maple worked into art
Follow the splashing and locate the heart
Quench your thirst to prove you are smart.

Hey, if they manage to use 13 alts to successfully beat everyone, i think they'd deserve the prizes.

No harm in operating in groups, I thought the original intention was to operate in groups, cant go complaining if your lone wolf style has drawbacks

Hey, if they manage to use 13 alts to successfully beat everyone, i think they'd deserve the prizes.

No harm in operating in groups, I thought the original intention was to operate in groups, cant go complaining if your lone wolf style has drawbacks

4 large carts, 3 passengers in each, there's 16.

So, Xallo and Alyeska and 13 alts. Gotcha.

if you think we'd do that you're just pathetic. I think its a great idea to give more player prizes.

• Like 2

I would be happy to donate 10 80 ql enchanted weapons - likely a mix of huge axes, 2h swords, sickles, large mauls all enchanted with LT, Nim, COC and Mind Stealer.

Plus an additional 10 free enchant coupons (Have a 94 chan/76 sd vyn and a 81.5 Chan/48 sd Fo).

This would provide more prizes. Also could make a bunch of meals up and place them in a barrel so that competitors starting the hunt have the chance to be fully fueled.

Would also support the addition of a "top 5 Solo winners" category based on honor system reporting. Category would only be available to those who freely declared they worked alone, not as part of a village or alliance. Could likely provide a few more prizes for this specific category if adopted.

(Side note - another fun category could be "Last to officially complete the hunt before it closed" - would also support this as well),

As a member of the hosting server community this seemed like an opportunity to support the hunt.

All I ask is that these donations in no way give me an advantage nor disqualify me from participating in the hunt.

Let me know if interested so that I can get the needed preparations completed.

~Nappy

• Like 1

Lol nappy, anyways finally you guys made a good chance. Finally you made it so that every clue must be taken. For once, you are listening to the intelligent people, good :)

• Like 1

You will not need a boat, you can travel to all of the clues on foot and they will all be on the exodous server. 

Yea... about that.

Last hunt the same thing was stated... except that you failed to mention that swimming across OPEN OCEAN was your definition of 'not needing a boat'. IMO that was borderline crappy.

If the same thing is the case this time, at least tell people that whilst 'technically' they may not need a boat, it is 'possible' that they will have to cross large bodies of water with their armour off, leading their horse, and praying their stamina doesn't run out before they drown. :P

hashirama, all the clues have always had to be taken, there is no change there, and anyone who has completed the other two hunts has done every clue.

nappy, while your idea of a category for "solo" players is appreciated, there is no way to set the system up to recognize a solo winner or a member of a group, only who has completed and who has not and all prize distribution needs to be handled by the mission system itself. The prizes need to be physical items so coupons don't work so well, and we have a fairly good idea of what the prizes are going to be, just not specifics yet. The items will be tools/weapons, but we plan for them to be made from materials players cannot create the item with. ( for example possibly something like a silver hammer or a ruby shovel, tho there will not be special models for them so they will look normal i'm afraid.) We will have enchants and or rare on some items most likely. 

Discussing the hows and whys of reward distribution should probably be left for that other thread about hunts in general once i get it up however to keep everything in one place. I will explain some of the limitations and why certain things are the way they are there, as well as toss some ideas for other styles of hunt out for comment.

As for bringing meals along for other competitors, feel free to bring food along and share it around.

Having a good supply of 5 speed horses that you can lend to the off server people might be helpful nappy. 

• Like 1

Coupons would take the form of inscribed papyrus so in that sense they would be physical items.

Sounds like a "no" to my offer to supply more prizes. Perhaps another time then.

~Nappy

• Like 1

Well, xallo said on kchat that he won the 1st hunt without taking some of the clues. That means his friend might have solved a clue for him and forwarded him the next one thus saving lot of time. If what he said is not true, then yeah I guess your right, but otherwise it would just mean the 1st two hunts to be teamwork rather than solo effort, which is what the treasure hunt is about.

hashirama, xallo did all of the clues on deliverance, I'm not sure what he said on kchat but i can assure you that anyone who finished either hunt went to every location and did every action needed. He may not have solved all the clues all by himself, but he physically traveled to them all.

As to the hunts being a solo effort, that is not at all intended. People work together on puzzles and projects all the time, both in real life and in games and these are no different. Indeed there is no real way we could prevent players from working together as once they are turned on the hunts run without a lot of GM intervention. We do not have a GM following each and every player to see what they are doing, just a couple checking the various clue locations from time to time to make sure no-one has been tampering with them (blocking them off etc)

Nappy, I need to consider your offer of prizes and discuss it with enki, I thought i had posted that in my above reply but apparently not. 15 prizes is probably around the limit of individual players we can give out rewards to due to some constraints of the system that the hunts are built with, but it might be possible to add your donations/coupons (if they are going to be physical in game items) to the planned prizes to make each individual reward larger or substitute them for the planned prizes if you want to do it that way, but extending the number of awards higher than 15 starts to become a bit time intensive.  (actually 15 rewards is going to increase the amount of time to set up the mission by a fair amount already)

Also, i finally got that other thread up, see:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/120238-treasure-hunts-general-discussion-improvements/

Lets try to shift any discussion about the hunts in general over to there, and leave this thread as info/direct questions comments about the hunt on exodous itself.

Well, xallo said on kchat that he won the 1st hunt without taking some of the clues. That means his friend might have solved a clue for him and forwarded him the next one thus saving lot of time. If what he said is not true, then yeah I guess your right, but otherwise it would just mean the 1st two hunts to be teamwork rather than solo effort, which is what the treasure hunt is about.

Thats not true; he said he didn't figure out all the clues. Someone else got some of them first and explained how to do it to him. I was sitting next to him the entire time, he finished every one of them. There was also no friend involved, I didn't have a computer available and wkm never even did that hunt. Just a nice guy who told him how to finish one particular clue that he was stuck at.

Edited by Alyeska

Spellcast - happy to help in anyway I can.

Does the system have the capability to output a list of all names that complete the hunt and preferably with an elapsed time to complete?

If so then there would be a bit of manual work however I would be ok with doing that to distribute the Napland prizes manually using mail system.

What would be cool is that if this is possible then we really could have "Final three completers" category too - grin

~Nappy

Is it OK to add unofficial prizes from the community? I love the idea of Nappy on the last successful competitor and would put up a prize too...

Well jaz....

Wurm is a wonderful game, with an awesome community, and if you want to try to do something like that its fine, ..  BUT.  There is no way for us to tell you who the last player to complete it is.  The tools we have simply don't track that info. Nor do they track the time completed and the names of the people who have completed the mission. 

Nappy, If you would like to contribute 10 or so prizes I can work them into the final rewards, send me a PM here on the forums if you want, but the coupons I think I would prefer to decline as an official reward. It seems to me that it would be best for the official rewards given by the hunt to be something that is complete and finished...  and players would have to find time to meet you and redeem the coupons which could be an issue for some if they have come from off server and need to get back to farms or whatever... I don't want anyone to feel shorted because they got a coupon that they can't use due to RL as part of their reward.

HOWEVER

The participation award will be a necklace this time, of a materiel that cannot be player made (either marble or diamond, not really worth much but something unique), but since the mission awards it to them it will have them as the creator....

SO, if YOU wanted to offer coupons to the first X players that come to you with that necklace you could use IT as proof that they actually did the hunt by having them put it in a trade window for you to examine and double check they are listed as the creator. 

• Like 1

Oh btw, I just wanted to say that in the 1st treasure hunt, the clue which pointed towards bear lake canal, kinda also matched with wolf's den canal. The "grizzly" matched with bear lake, whereas the wolf's den matched with "den". If we see the other parts of the clues, both wolf's den canal and bear lake canal fit perfectly. It was well organised, but just wanted to say that some clues can be really confusing even if u manage to figure them out. Like I thought I figured out the clue, but after 2 hours of searching, found out in kchat that the place was bear lake lol. Anyways good job organising these treasure hunts, looking forward to the exodus hunt.

I have placed the start sign for the hunt in esert so players will know where to gather, it is near the south gate across from the town smithy. There is also a sign there that you can use to leave the hunt at any time once it is going.

(the hunt is not active yet, instead if you examine it you will get a teaser directing you to check this forum thread. 

I will say this a cart full should get one prize I don't care how many people sit in it.  They start as a unit and finish as a unit and should be awarded once.  Matter of fact I would require carts with more than one person to register each person in the cart. I am sure the team will understand it's the team who wins the prize and place they finish.

Edited by Uberknot