Sign in to follow this  
Yazzafox

FPS spikes making gameplay difficult

So over the last few weeks, I've been noticing my usual 40-60 fps often dropping to 12-15 fps.

I've tried meddling with graphics settings to see if it can be improved, and I've tried prodding at my pc with all sorts of programs, to resolve the issue, but nothing has worked.

I have, however, started identifying certain conditions that causes this. I first caught onto it during Wurm daytime, when the fps spike seemed to leave completely. I was just starting to grin, when night came, and it all triggered off the poor fps again.

So now I've been experimenting, and it feels to me like it's the flame animations on forges/ovens/lamps that is causing the issue. When they're snuffed out, things seem smoother. When I have my forge, oven and my 15+ lamps on at night, the fps can drop very, very badly.

I haven't tested this theory in detail yet, but I'd really appreciate some support/feedback with this. I know several people who are having bad fps issues in their deeds too, and a fix would be really appreciated.

Could it be, that it begann after you or somebody in your area has droped the valentines roses on the ground?

Could it be, that it begann after you or somebody in your area has droped the valentines roses on the ground?

There's no valentines roses anywhere on my deed. There are flowerbeds and a flowerpot, but no valentines roses.  :)

I had 4 valentines on the ground and it completely froze up clients when I walked past them, removing them fixed the issue.

I think its some of the high poly models such as flowerbeds/trees/felled trees.

but nothing fixes the client freezes when you have a client open for a prolonged period of time, relogging only fixes that and its awful

Edited by WesncIsMe

After hours of looking through graphics settings, I've tried so many different combinations, including the smoke and flame particles being disabled, and nothing has made the slightest bit of difference.

Disabled smoke and flame particle effects

Reduced tree render distance

Reduced distant land rendering

Reduced creature render distance

Reduced/disabled bumpmapped terrain

Reduced/disabled tile transitions

Reduced Structure Data render

Reduced/disabled LoD

Reduced/disabled Shadows

Reduced/disabled terrain/shadow resolution

I even meddled with animation quality, Texture scaling hint, and braved it into enabling contribution culling with my eyes closed and my fingers crossed. Absolutely none of this improved the fps when faced with a bunch of lit lamps/forges/ovens. And yes, it's only when they're lit.

Even one forge lit on its own, drops the fps from 60+ down to 20's.

So I have to ask, could it be something to do with the actual lighting effect? The glow around the object. Is there a way for me to find out, through the settings?

I have render bloom ("glow") off, render sun glare is off, pretty weather is off, breathing is off....

To answer some questions I've already had in-game, my pc specs are below:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66ghz

4gb ddr2 Ram

ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1024mb)

In the settings > compatibility tab, turn GLSL Shader support to Disabled. It should increase your FPS to off-set the already low fps you have.

In the settings > compatibility tab, turn GLSL Shader support to Disabled. It should increase your FPS to off-set the already low fps you have.

Thank you, I've just tried this. It has certainly helped the fps issue a lot! It's done some slight ugly things to my graphics and animations, but it's definitely a great fix! If anyone is having fps issues that are making Wurm unplayable, this is definitely worth a shot.

Thank you Kyle! You guys rock. =)