Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Let us double-click an item to perform default action

When we interact with items we usually right-click them and select an action to be performed. For frequently performed common actions this is not very user-friendly, so why not define a "default action" for an item and let us just double-click the item to invoke this action (instead of just examining it)?

For example, the default action for a ladder (when you are standing at the lower end) would be "Climb Up", while you would probably want to "Open" a closed chest when you double-click it:

klHV8Ml.jpg?2     ...  88aJXsn.jpg?1

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

-1 for the reason that double-clicking already does too many conflicting actions in the game. Consistency is very important and the game already has too little of it.

+1 for a "default action" bind tho.

Or, best yet, the ability to just bind multiple actions to 1 key, then it tries to use the first valid one listed. That'd resolve any conflicts that might come up with the default action.

• Like 1

Or just add more keybinds for things. Open already has a bind, but adding climb up, climb down, expand all, collapse all, etc would make things FAR easier.

Yeah, -1 on the double click default.

+1 to creating default actions for all item and then creating a bind command "default_action"...

I would really enjoy to be able to: bind e DEFAULT_ACTION

• Like 2

Yeah, -1 on the double click default.

+1 to creating default actions for all item and then creating a bind command "default_action"...

I would really enjoy to be able to: bind e DEFAULT_ACTION

Yeah, good idea!

As per your example, already a climb_up and climb_down (forget wording exactly but that may be it) keybind can already be made for ladders. I have mine set to 9 and 0. Mouseover ladder/opening, hit the keybind and up or down you go. I think most keybinds already serve the purpose that you suggest here, so rarely do I click anything and select the options when keybinds can be made to avoid doing this.

=Ayes=

As per your example, already a climb_up and climb_down (forget wording exactly but that may be it) keybind can already be made for ladders. I have mine set to 9 and 0. Mouseover ladder/opening, hit the keybind and up or down you go. I think most keybinds already serve the purpose that you suggest here, so rarely do I click anything and select the options when keybinds can be made to avoid doing this.

=Ayes=

So by that rationale, it wouldn't be too CRAZY AND WILD to suggest a Default for each option and then keybind for DEFAULT_ACTION?

That way I don't have to remember which of my 101 keys I mapped that silly action to... I could just press "E".

• Like 1

Like others said... a "default action" keybind would be good.

• Like 1

no to double clicking. Double clicking all the time fatigues my finger. Although, I do want a way to: bind [key] DEFAULT_ACTION.

Adding more keybinds doesn't addressing what this idea is about. Its about simplifying the keybind scheme so you don't' have remember which key to use. I'm confident we could replace the whole keybind scheme with two keys; 1) default action that is completely user configurable, 2) repeat last action.

I've been asking for default action forever it seems, its literally been years of me trying to show how this is a very good idea.  If you step back and look at tools and their actions you'll see a pattern that many tools only have on action. The ones with multiple actions often have a more common task.

I'd like to see a client side text file that controls what action is load into "default_action" for various tools. This would let us decide what default action we want used for tools like pickaxe or shovel.

I'd also like to see a repeat last action keybind. As example, make a shovel active, choose level from context menu, and LAST_ACTION would be set to level.

I'd like to see the ability to bind more than one action to a single key. A few examples are better at describing:

bind 1 ACTIVATE_TOOL1, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 2 ACTIVATE_TOOL2, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 3 ACTIVATE_TOOL3, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 4 ACTIVATE_TOOL4, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 5 ACTIVATE_TOOL5, IMPROVE, REPAIR

I'd like to see the ability to bind more than one action to a single key. A few examples are better at describing:

bind 1 ACTIVATE_TOOL1, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 2 ACTIVATE_TOOL2, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 3 ACTIVATE_TOOL3, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 4 ACTIVATE_TOOL4, IMPROVE, REPAIR

bind 5 ACTIVATE_TOOL5, IMPROVE, REPAIR

We already have that ability through the console exec command

The lines in the text file have to be a valid console command and none of yours are.

As a test I did the following:

test1.txt

dig

dig

dig

repair

bind shift+m "exec test1.txt"

produceses this ->

Executing ~\wurm\configs\Joe\test1.txt

Unknown command: dig