Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

AH - Breeding value beyond 50 on PvE

for PvE:

So, I gather there really isn't much if any interest in horses with 5s + 1-3 other potentially beneficial traits, over a pure 5s horse?  If so, isn't it time to think about creating more benefits for those that continue to skill up AH past 50?

What are some interesting ideas we could offer the Devs for improving the value of high AH?

(insert your ideas here)

• Like 2

+1, although over time as people's skill increase,it will be easier to attain the higher skill traits.

Some new trait ideas.

Sturdy = Produces more meat when butchered

Has a healthy coat = produces more leather 

Has strong genes = chance to produce a twin ( different names ) - female only

Has longevity = ages slower / lives longer 

Strong organs = produces more animal parts when butchered

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 2

No idea how it works, but shouldn't higher AH skill reduce the chance of miscarrige and negative traits when breeding?

If it doesn't already work that way, I'd suggest that it could work like Fightskill CR, where every 10 AH skill you get, you get less and less chance of miscarrige/poor traits during breeding.

• Like 3

More colors and 6th trait for speed? yes please tired of grooming on my alt.

Some new trait ideas.

Sturdy = Produces more meat when butchered

Has a healthy coat = produces more leather 

Has strong genes = chance to produce a twin ( different names ) - female only

Has longevity = ages slower / lives longer 

Strong organs = produces more animal parts when butchered

Edited by Theodis

Hell I want to be able to see how many days are remaining on a pregnant horse with just a mouse over for having high AH

edit: if i can see a sprout on a tree, I should be able to tell if a horse is pregnant

Edited by Tryfaen
  • Like 2

Having higher AH also allows you to care for more animals, so it's still worth it IMO.

New traits wouldn't hurt though I guess.

Yes, just pve. I suspect that some of the potential changes could create negative results in a pvp environment. Certainly anything that changes to mechanics in pvp turns into a huge rant fest and I don't want to limit the creativity of ideas here.

New traits that can't be removed by genesis would make it even harder to breed horses with desirable traits and I doubt people would really value horses much higher with traits that only apply when you butcher them. Horses having twins would make it even more difficult to deal with the animal ratio as it becomes unpredictable when you might go over. As as far as living longer, horses already live for 5-6 real months when not cared for and when cared for they don't die of old age as far as I know. But I guess if these only apply to livestock intended for butchering it wouldn't be so bad, but horses shouldn't get them.

Keen senses and a spark in the eyes is already quite annoying to deal with. We don't need more non removable traits that don't have any appreciable gains. As with the suggestion I made, higher skill in animal husbandry should give the breeder more control in the results.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/108518-animal-husbandry-changes/#entry1103870

What traits do you get once you get a 5speed that are desirable as it is? Tough body? Fierce Fighter? that is what we are talking about, and what about those that can breed 7 or 8 traits? Again those traits CAN be breed that are desirable, no change at all to how they are breed ~ Time and Patience and knowledge breed desirable traits, not just leading one horse to another and saying Have at it.

As far as horses having twins and not being able to control ratio, sorry but it is simple, Kill one off, just cause a horse has a foal and your ratio goes over don't mean you gotta keep it, pretty simple unless you just have no clue how to control your ratio.

Long life horses, I'm sure some folks have their favorite horse, it could be because of name, color, traits or a combo of all those and wouldn't mind keeping longer.

As far as your Other post you linked you also said

Bump

Unfortunately without any opposition and debating, suggestions fall off the front page pretty fast. No one with a good dissenting point of view to the idea  :P?

I still want 9 trait horses to sell even if there's little benefit. Also until 9 trait horses are possible someone might want to update the info on the wiki for animal husbandry.

So name the 9 traits you want that you would like to see on a horse

Currently there are:

Desirable Traits

1. It will fight fiercely.
2. It has fleeter movement than normal.
3. It is a tough bugger
4. It has a strong body
5. It has lightning movement
6. It can carry more than average
7. It has very strong leg muscles
8.It looks unusually strong and healthy

Undesirable Traits

9. It has keen senses
10. It has malformed hindlegs
11. The legs are of different length
12. It seems overly aggressive
13. It looks very unmotivated
14. It is unusually strong willed
15. It has some illness
16. It looks constantly hungry
17. It looks feeble and unhealthy
18. It has a certain spark in its eyes
19. Bred in captivity

As it is now if you do get a 9 trait you end up with all 8 of the desirable + 1 neutral ( keen senses ) or +1 bad trait no matter what.  Why would anyone spend years getting their ah past 80 and in some cases past 70. 

That is what this suggestion is about, traits for animals that make sense and would be useful for breeding purposes as well as game play.

Who doesn't want to breed cows that  give more meat, or bison that give more hide, or other animals that give more body parts for healing covers.

The thing about breeding animals is knowing what you're going to use them for.  Livestock, mounts, Combat animals, the glue factory and then plan your breeding patterns.

New traits would give us options rather just breeding the same old 5spd horses / animals over and over and over again and also reward us for the higher level of animal husbandry that we work towards.

As far as horses having twins and not being able to control ratio, sorry but it is simple, Kill one off, just cause a horse has a foal and your ratio goes over don't mean you gotta keep it, pretty simple unless you just have no clue how to control your ratio.

Edited by Theodis

There was a debate a week or so ago on one of the chats regarding ". It has a certain spark in its eyes" the theory was it was longer life.  I'm thinking that would defiantly be a good trait.

I can't prove it - but it's something those of you with exp in breeding might test for.

+1 for the idea.

Someone suggested gl-freedom for .. 'more giblets' I'm DOWN, voting with 2 hands and a leg for that idea.. since we lost the fighting skill for killing animals bred in captivity.. how about AH skill to add up some extra weight to the butchered items.. This will give people 1 more reason to level their skill.

+1

-1 twins

-1 longevity

the servers are overpopulated with horses as it is

It'd be really nice if genesis removed a trait of your choice - that'd give more impetus to having high AH, too, as you'd have more choice to pick from.

• Like 1

How about a trait that allows a horse to pull a heavier weight without a big speed penalty?  Such as two horses  with such a trait pulling a wagon at roughly the same speed that 4 horses can pull.  Call it "True Grit" or some such.

• Like 1

6. It can carry more than average
7. It has very strong leg muscles

Already affect slope penalty and load penalty,

ok if anything i'd like to see higher AH skills being able to Train(as in enki's april fools post) lesser traited horses

ie: i get a horse from someone [17:31:36] It will fight fiercely.  It has fleeter movement than normal. It has a strong body. ....and i want to add carry more so hauling heavy load on it for a long time will train/condition that animal to have carry more, climbing many hills in a short period of time would add strong legs etc..