Sign in to follow this  
Mordraug

Change server restart warning to 20 minutes

10 minutes is too short given how the restarts are mostly unannounced these days.  On Release which is pretty much all reachable by highway many times 10 minutes isn't enough to make it home.

Not too shabby when horses are hitched, but leading something tame or simply on horseback means if one can't be back online when server returns (since there's no way of knowing if it's 10 minutes or 10 hours) one's horses risk theft, logging in to untame summons, logging back in a troll convention and getting smacked around while game finishes loading... 

Bad enough that all these resets are aging the hell out of people's herds.

• Like 8

just mine into rock and slap on a mine door

its not hard

just mine into rock and slap on a mine door

its not hard

Not everyone, such as myself, carry around a full set of tools when exploring or travelling. Or a chisel for that matter. 

Edited by akaedis

God you're a mind-reader, except I was thinking at least half an hour.

• Like 2

Not everyone, such as myself, carry around a full set of tools when exploring or travelling. Or a chisel for that matter. 

you really should

+1!

20 minutes would be great, 30 minutes advance notice even better.

For those travelling priests who are unable to create a temporary safety fence or cave on the fly ;-)

Or add the ability to hitch 3 animals to a tent. Then no issues at all.

Higher quality tent = More hitches. (20ql, 50ql, 70ql or something like that)

How hard is it to carry something to cut grass with to tame the horse and then set it to leave the world when you log off?

One thing I'd really like is for 'scheduled maintenance' to be at a set time once week.  Let's say every Monday 10am CET.  Then after that, yes, 20 or 30 minute warning for unscheduled would be nice.

• Like 1

making a mine and mine door, taming... great for players that can do these things easy enough and quick enough, but plenty can't and are out of luck.  I've taken to not travelling anywhere dragging animals anymore.

+1 to 20, +2 to 30, +10 to weekly scheduled with 60 min notice.  Xanadu is big.  Takes 60 min to make the run from center to ocean shore, on a 5s with decent gear, using one of the few roads that exist.

I have to say no....then it will be make it 30 mins.

Park your guy and log out.

I have to say no....then it will be make it 30 mins.

Park your guy and log out.

ONE good reason, or are you just doing your usual round of trolling the suggestions' forum?

-1 to OP

The servers go down for a reason, usually an important one.  The 10 min warning is actually fairly long for unscheduled stuff since, surprise, it is unscheduled.  Some games give you about 5 mins or even as little as 60 seconds to get your ass offline, 10 mins on wurm is plenty long enough.

Your argument that it's not long enough to get home on release is not really a good one since then we'd have to apply the same logic to larger servers (one wonders how much warning would be needed for Xanadians to get home).

A better method would be to allow players to log out with led animals ONLY if a server rest is called, the led animals return to the server 24 hours after the server has been up if the player does not log back in with them.  This would not be a hard thing to do (an extra flag "ServerResetting" and a check for this flag when logging off to store the critters along with a check 24 hours after the server has been up to restore all such critters to the game that have not been bought back by logging in players).

The point raised in the thread that a more structured downtime routine should be put in place gets a solid +1 for me.

In most other games you can logoff where you stand no problem, and if you die you get a 5 minute owie penalty and about 5 more minutes' worth of currency gathering to fix your gear.

Also, Fo priests don't get half the aggro on login the rest of us do, and before you strike back saying I gotta boost my FS, it's bordering 75 and yes i've come back from restarts to find out I offed a bear while loading.  Others will login to their spawn point.

10 minutes is plenty of time. I've played games with much less.

There are various methods in the game available for you to use to prevent this.

Taming

Saddles

Tents

Mines

Fences

Branding

I have never had an issue where my mount has been stolen on freedom using the above, there's no point in changing the system because you don't want to use the tools given to you to prevent it.

Even when I'm struggling I will always find a deed to log out on with my horse saddled, it means only villagers will be able to move my horse (they usually don't) and if it's branded while on deed I'm sure a GM is able to help retrieve it.

Yeeeeh fences springing up all over for each reset brilliant.

My  horse is saddled etc etc etc.... 53 taming, 75FS, good gear yes I can hold my own and do all those tricks.

So I could -1 this myself because to hell with other people who aren't that experienced and to hell with them if they lose their unsaddled horses because they didn't make a saddle in time or couldn't afford one.

But way I see it, the only thing that would hurt from changing the heads up from 10 to 20 minutes are egos.

10 minutes is plenty of time. I've played games with much less.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 was the big thing, your point?

• Like 1

In most other games you can logoff where you stand no problem, and if you die you get a 5 minute owie penalty and about 5 more minutes' worth of currency gathering to fix your gear.

Also, Fo priests don't get half the aggro on login the rest of us do, and before you strike back saying I gotta boost my FS, it's bordering 75 and yes i've come back from restarts to find out I offed a bear while loading.  Others will login to their spawn point.

That doesn't counter my first point and in no way addresses the second one.  Still a firm -1 from me.

I'm not going to address your second point as only a fo priest can answer it and, until they fix priests, I am not a fo priest (or premium for that matter, which means my FS is back down to 20 and thus I am far more likely than you to be ill effected by a sudden downtime).  ;)

The simple fix is to be able to hitch the max amount of animals that can be led (4) to tents, carts, wagons, and boats. This way the animals are safe and solves the hassle of having to re-lead horses when embarking and disembarking (especially when boat gets stuck). They stay hitched until someone with permissions unhitches them, they die, or server border is crossed.

Bump.... and hitching to boats would be cool.

"Rawr rawr rawr use saddles tame it!"   Ever lead 4 foals you just bought or sold across a server and get a reset?

As for resets being scheduled... no.. no they ain't ... I'd complain about how it speed ages ones horse herds, incidentally, but biting that bullet quietly as content needs adding.

But the constant server reset ambushes ... only way to travel safely in some circumstances seems to be waiting until the next reset so you can go after server comes back up which may or may not be in the next 24 hours... or 16.. or 72... 

The simple fix is to be able to hitch the max amount of animals that can be led (4) to tents, carts, wagons, and boats. This way the animals are safe and solves the hassle of having to re-lead horses when embarking and disembarking (especially when boat gets stuck). They stay hitched until someone with permissions unhitches them, they die, or server border is crossed.

+1 

This makes more sense than giving extra notice. Wurm is supposed to be challenging, but randomly getting bumped off and losing animals isn't really a "natural" part of the game. This would be a smooth way to solve it, and not having to relead animals when embarking and disembarking would be a really nice bonus. 

• Like 2

+1 to hitching animals to boats by the way, can't drop tents on water.

+1 would give more time going to deed since the new epic has a lot of water...