Sign in to follow this  
Oxblood

Growing mushrooms in mines.

I would like to suggest the ability to grow mushrooms in mines. A lot of large mines have open unused space, why not set up mushroom farms. This would allow players to grow there own mushrooms for healing covers, instead of having to forage for them randomly. You could crush the mushroom like Wemp and just spread it on the rock tile for planting. You could use the farm action to remove bugs and worms instead of weeds, or add some type of fertilizer. 

• Like 10

+1, especially if mushrooms would be allowed to go into FSB (I can't think of any reason why not).

• Like 1

Definite +1 from me! Makes total sense. Maybe even add new craftables, like a raised wooden "garden bed" that would house your mushroom crops. Dirt could be one of the materials needed.

• Like 1

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom#Other_uses

"Mushrooms can be used for dyeing wool and other natural fibers. The chromophores of mushroom dyes are organic compounds and produce strong and vivid colors, and all colors of the spectrum can be achieved with mushroom dyes. Before the invention of synthetic dyes, mushrooms were the source of many textile dyes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_dye

Taos-yarns&paintings.jpg

You could make them for wool only and used in making colorful, nice looking PADDED WOOLEN ARMOR

Nice for everyday wear while also offering some protection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson

gambesons.jpg

and just in time for WURM SPRING FASHION WEEK .....

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

SO....Fine Carp...Basically looks like a bed with sides to me filled with dirt.

16 plank

4 shafts

4 small nails

2 large nails

8 dirt

1 sheet

Makes Mushroom Grower.....?

Here's a bed's materials total.

15x planks

4x shafts

2x small nails

1x large nails

2x sheets 

3x furs

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

+1 more natural substance uses maybe health potions? :P

• Like 1

Why?........

15 minutes of botanizing/forgaing = like 20 mushrooms for me. Then what? Healing covers? *_* Useless idea no point, but....I WOULD like to store them in an FSB.

The point is to be able to grow them in caves. You can get other crops from botanizing/foraging as well. But you get more when you are able to cultivate them. Plus you grew them, the fruits of the Earth. Much more satisfying. And puts to good use those cavernous mines we've all excavated for stone and veins but now stand more or less empty... and drafty.

Edited by Araninke
  • Like 1

+1

As it stands very few people actually use mushroom based covers save in a pinch.  They are MUCH heavier than herbal equivalents, black mushrooms being the only notable improvement (since lovage was demoted from a 5 to a 4 that is).

It makes sense for them to be growable since they are not really all that useful (their main selling point was their high QL, however forage mushrooms lack this).

I would also say allow multiple ways to construct mushroom farms rather than just another FC buff.  Stone and Pottery containers spring to mind.  Also, since nutrients are artificially provided, maybe have the requirement of some kind of fuel (wood scraps, food etc) required before mushrooms can mature successfully.

Also a +1 for some extra kinds of mushroom (glowing ones for preference!).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bioluminescent_fungi ;)

+1! Yay for more options to grow more things and more use for more skills! :)

Especially more recipes.

And... can be added to cooking as well.

We also need to be able to churn butter from milk...

• Like 2

+1, maybe even tie it into a new nature skill rather than the farming skill.

• Like 2

Caves need fauna and flora in general. Far too stark and barren.