Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

Stuff I want to buy from a trader

"Teleportation - Karma, Meditation, maybe a few other methods too. You can already do this. (Easiest way is to just buy source from people and then you can teleport as much as you want)"

I don't have it in me to meditate high enough. The fail fail fail thing is too frustrating for my make-up, in a game. Karma I haven't used and ty for suggesting it, but it seems like I'd be either spending a lot of silvers or running in circles trying to accumulate it, to allow for organizational use. My original impetus for starting this thread was that I had just gone to my deed of the unwanted horses (non-five speed, but four speed and other good traits), ran along my way to another deed far away, and suddenly a new foal was born there that belonged on the semi-reject horse deed. My mind in its desire for completeness and ordered listing fell into lament that I now had to run all the way back to that far-away deed. Is it sensible? No, but is it even sensible to be spending this much time playing this game? I should be day-trading or out and about. But I'm playing, so let me do it how I want to.

"GPS - You have a map, a compass and a brain."

Says you.

"You add teleportation and suddenly the world size shrinks to nothing. Another game that added excessive amounts of teleportation was Runescape.

It used to feel like a fairly large world."

I can't speak for this, I can only speak for how I like to spend my time. I can only suggest, don't teleport then. Enjoy the wide open spaces, while I enjoy dragging my animals around quickly, or going to get the scissors I forgot yet again without wasting five minutes.

"Now you can teleport to so many places you barely have to walk more than 20 tiles to get anywhere and the game feels so small."

Show me how! I honestly do not know, other than farwalker twigs that are too expensive for daily use.

So, your response is that it's "too hard"? There's already a game with 0 difficulty in it, called Minecraft. Should give it a try.

* Inter-deed teleport machines.

I just don't even know what to say. I can understand the desire for you to be able to pay to make the game easymode, to pay to take away a lot of what makes wurm, wurm, and turn it into something trivial like minecraft, but teleport machines? Ugh.

Is this the time of the day when the children who have yet to pull a 12 hour shift recommend that everyone with a job quit and "go play minecraft" already?

If so let me grab popcorn for the part where people who only play a handful of hours a week are "lazy" and are not "sacrificing themselves" like those who play 8+ hours a day.  I specially love how many of those have never played anything under 32-bit yet have THE gaming trajectory ^_^

• Like 2

Of course people are chomping at the bit to throw money at the game. Sadly such is the way of things in MMO's these days. Throw money at the game until you have everything and there is nothing left to do except complain of lack of content or cry for more things to buy. I for one would pull everything from the traders and only have vanity items.

But then again i also think accounts should not be sold, skill gain is too easy and that we should remove mailboxes to encourage local markets or at least make people put more effort into selling across more servers. I suggest we just make a new server cluster and just have all these easy mode items on it because it will always snowball and so will the allure to add more items until Wurm has lost most of its players from disgust and then the rest eventually leave from boredom.

So then don't use the store items. Not like anyone is going to force you to use them. Or is the temptation really too great to resist, that if the item merely exists, you'll have to buy it, and thereby herald your own boredom sooner?

So, your response is that it's "too hard"? There's already a game with 0 difficulty in it, called Minecraft. Should give it a try.

Way to try to chase more paying people off the game. Yea, that'll help. How about this. How about you try not to be a total phallic to other players for once? Should give it a try. Who knows, you might like it.

I just don't even know what to say. I can understand the desire for you to be able to pay to make the game easymode, to pay to take away a lot of what makes wurm, wurm, and turn it into something trivial like minecraft, but teleport machines? Ugh.

Then don't buy it and don't use it. Tada.

Also, an inter-deed teleport system on a PVE server hurts you personally how, exactly?

Oh... that's right. It doesn't.

If someone wants to have a deed on the west coast and a deed on the east coast, and a teleport between, and is willing to pay for it, what business is it of yours?

• Like 1

Is this the time of the day when the children who have yet to pull a 12 hour shift recommend that everyone with a job quit and "go play minecraft" already?

If so let me grab popcorn for the part where people who only play a handful of hours a week are "lazy" and are not "sacrificing themselves" like those who play 8+ hours a day.  I specially love how many of those have never played anything under 32-bit yet have THE gaming trajectory ^_^

I got quite a laugh out of that myself.

I'm playing Minecraft right now in fact. You know.. .Notch's OTHER game that he just sold to Microsoft for several Billion...

I'm playing it because building my warehouse in Wurm is so fracking BORING that I need something ELSE to do whilst staring at my timers for hours on end.

But... the warehouse needs to be built for a project I'm working on... so... Minecraft in between the action timers it is then.

Funny thing is, I only paid like... $30 bucks USD for Minecraft, and yet get so much more bang for my buck out of it, even years later.

I got quite a laugh out of that myself.

I'm playing Minecraft right now in fact. You know.. .Notch's OTHER game that he just sold to Microsoft for several Billion...

I'm playing it because building my warehouse in Wurm is so fracking BORING that I need something ELSE to do whilst staring at my timers for hours on end.

But... the warehouse needs to be built for a project I'm working on... so... Minecraft in between the action timers it is then.

Funny thing is, I only paid like... $30 bucks USD for Minecraft, and yet get so much more bang for my buck out of it, even years later.

Here's a CRAZY idea, stop trying to make Wurm into Minecraft, and either enjoy Wurm for what it is, or go play something else?

• Like 2

So then don't use the store items. Not like anyone is going to force you to use them. Or is the temptation really too great to resist, that if the item merely exists, you'll have to buy it, and thereby herald your own boredom sooner?

I wouldn't use them period. But simply not using them does not change the fact that this will impact local markets therefore impacting those who do not use them. I would go so far as to make travel even longer to help boost local economies.

The time where all games automatically were steering their gameplay towards easy-mode as they grew older is perhaps over. Two other surviving sandboxes, EVE and DarkFall, are nerfing fast travel as we speak, to make long-distance travel *more* difficult. This is historical.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/eve-online-uses-jump-fatigue-to-discourage-long-distance-travel/

http://massivelyop.net/2015/02/11/darkfalls-next-patch-nerfs-fast-travel-tweaks-mounts/

They do this because they know their player base did not come to their game to play easy mode. They stayed with the game all this time because they like challenging gameplay. Travel time is an integral part of this gameplay and helps to shape the economy as well.

Personally, I would not mind seeing more pay-to-win items for sale in Wurm though, as I believe the more money injected into a sandbox economy, the better. After all, the ultimate win factor,silver, is sold, and that is good for all of us. So I do not jump to ridicule these kinds of ideas.

Edited by Cista

Here's a CRAZY idea, stop trying to make Wurm into Minecraft, and either enjoy Wurm for what it is, or go play something else?

Still trying to chase people off eh? I wonder how many paying customers you've ultimately run off with that endless AOE mouth of yours? All I'm saying there Aether, is don't be a Richard.

"Teleportation already in game" - not for me on Deli

"GPS map already there" - If it's legal, tell me how!

"Private servers already" - what I meant was, small deed-sized islands where you can have your deed without fights with neighbors; maybe two sizes - one personal-sized, and one neighborhood-sized where like-minded people could rent together, to avoid deed grief. If there can't be some sensible rules enacted that stop griefing on PvE, I'd be willing to pay for my own spot to enjoy the game. People quit from being griefed on these items that took so long to make in RL hours. Why not keep these players and make some money doing so?

Not everything easy, just removal of the time-consuming, very repetitive tasks. I'm saying to generate income, these things I'd pay for. I want to spend my leisure time having fun, not just running running running between things.

I'm not certain what is "hard" about pressing a key over and over and over and over and hearing loud sounds I'm not always fond of, and then pressing the keys again over and over and over. I'm not sure I'd define that as hard. I'm defining it as boring. There's plenty about the game that I like, but spending 30 seconds to bash a trunk, or however many years it is to skill up weapons... I'm damn happy some people have the patience for it, but my particular make-up likes different activities. What I'm saying is, without doing anything to hurt the Wurm economy, I'd be willing to pay to remove some of the repetitive tasks I find boring, in my sphere of playing.

Personally, I would not mind seeing more pay-to-win items for sale in Wurm though

Cista, help me. What am I "winning"? I'm not playing AGAINST anyone. I just want to have some cheerful fun. Who did I ever compete against? Certainly not you, do you feel that way? I try to be supportive of anyone kind enough to make or gather stuff for me to have my fun with. I've gone out of my way to be fair to anyone who sells me things. What did I win?

teleportation actually yes also for you on deli ;)

gps maps grey area at 1 point rolf was really against map dumps made all together then he started to release them to counter the point of others having them and others not now its against the rules but people still make them

i live on deli and have yet to have my deed grieved what so ever heck most of my place is off deed and is perfectly fine for ages on end i guess it helps living in the middle of no where with no one around but a few old decaying deeds

point is private servers are there or well where there  if you want a place without having to fight with neighbors well 1 buy a huge deed and only use a small part 2 wall off an area 3 move to a empty area 4 move to xanadu 5 figure out why they wanna grief you and report it to gms 6 set proper settings on your deed 7 do what i have done in the past with friends and thats buy a few dozen small deeds surrounding a village sized deed and wall it all off in 1 big area and form those deeds so that they are straight lines with huge area's inside of no deeded area and done and hey people quit for dozens of reasons i have had my account accessed and they walked my char over to the edge of the world and let me die and gms refused to grab my corpse and i lost all my tools as i was in mid transit from my old place to my new one i just made an alt grabbed its tools started out again and continued onwards as if nothing happened or when someone strongwalled my mine entrance and reinforced it i just expanded the deed mined into it from the side and undid it and fixed it back up any kind of grieving to terrain or character can be undone with minimal work

so the only reason one would want a private server /private island is to be isolated or to have silly powers and build insanely fast well on the first go to xanadu and disappear in the mountain ranges on the 2nd wait till challenge is back up :3

I cordially invite you to come on down to my place and have a tour. I know you're meaning well.

The time where all games automatically were steering their gameplay towards easy-mode as they grew older is perhaps over. Two other surviving sandboxes, EVE and DarkFall, are nerfing fast travel as we speak, to make long-distance travel *more* difficult. This is historical.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/eve-online-uses-jump-fatigue-to-discourage-long-distance-travel/

http://massivelyop.net/2015/02/11/darkfalls-next-patch-nerfs-fast-travel-tweaks-mounts/

This relates to PvP, correct?

Here's a CRAZY idea, stop trying to make Wurm into Minecraft

Whew, god forbid. I'd never want to do anything like that to this development team. Right? I shouldn't wish that for them, with their own product?

I know, right? I mean, who'd ever want to make Wurm a game accessible by all kinds of players and playstyles, and have it be picked up for Billions. I mean... who'd want that? :P *rollseyes*

I think some of you 'me first' peeps need to look at the bigger picture and see what's best for the game at large, and less what irks your individual idiosyncrasy by changing something that wouldn't even affect you. Like... teleports on PVE.

OMG help me I can't shut up, but another thing I don't get is, how is it supposed to be that Minecraft is so easy compared to Wurm? You can make it as easy or hard as you want. What I find hard in Wurm is having patience, and keeping led animals from clipping off against walls. What I find hard in Minecraft, besides keeping the server updated with all the best mods, and keeping my nephews and their friends from fighting non-stop and messing up each other's areas, is stuff like getting the tremendous organ you just built to play the best song, or figuring out how to get the train all the way up the steep incline and then to keep going on the sky-high monorail, or to see if you can get the monster-mashing vortex you made to also spit out all the goodies for you in the most convenient manner, or to see how many events you can trigger in a row with one switch. Allowing people to play how they want created some monetary gain for the developers.

Minecraft

You are missing the point though. The majority of current players in Wurm do not wish the game to lean towards Minecraft's gameplay. When I say "the majority", I am surely just pulling that out of my a**, but on the other hand if you see a lot of comments on your thread stating the same, you should probably say "oh a lot of paying players in Wurm really feel that way", you should not say "it cannot be a problem to you that I want the rules of the game changed"  :)

You ask what you would be "winning" with pay-2-win items. The answer is, you do not play in a bubble (unless you do get your own server). 

Players in Wurm compare their achievements, their skills etc. For instance, people that breed horses talk about their horses' traits. If some players pay with outside money to get unlimited Genesis casts, whereas others do not have that kind of money available, well then that is classic pay-2-win in this context. Some types of players would give up breeding when comparing their efforts to those that pay for better results.

Also, these kind of cash-shop items contribute nothing to the ingame economy so I don't see them as benificial to the game as the sale of silver, which is always benificial IMO. 

As opposed to the player who, for example, have either rares or supremes equipped in every armour and weapon slot, right. And they crafted those, did they? ;)

They dropped real world cash in most cases to buy silver, to 'pay to win'.

You are missing the point though. ..

"you should not say "it cannot be a problem to you that I want the rules of the game changed"   :)"

I don't want to change the rules of the game. I'm just suggesting a way to generate more income. I'd also be ok with leaving the game alone the way it is without constant new servers, and instead focusing on fixing the bugs. But that won't get us on a better host, will it.

"Players in Wurm compare their achievements, their skills etc. For instance, people that breed horses talk about their horses' traits. "

I guess that I don't do that so much, but I understand.

"Also, these kind of cash-shop items contribute nothing to the ingame economy"

I try to contribute to the in-game economy; I'm just trying to suggest ways to generate income for the devs and cost of running the game, besides more servers.

"I try to contribute to the in-game economy; I'm just trying to suggest ways to generate income for the devs"

You have a good point here, because contributing to the inter-player economy, and giving the devs more money to develop the game, are  two intentions almost working against each other.

I was going to edit my prior post to say: As it is now, if you want more Genesis casts, you can hire some other player to help out. Or you can buy an additional caster character that another player made. The other player may then go and buy a caravel from a ship builder etc. 

All this gives a good ingame dynamic, but it gives no new money for the developers. Meanwhile, adding some direct cash shop options will often make some other players disgruntled. 

Edited by Cista

Cash shop items = Quick injection of cash into wurm development but with likely long term negatives which will outweigh this short influx of money.

First few items for sale, most people will be onboard with and it'll only benefit players who buy them slightly.

That opens the flood gates and suddenly lots of things are for sale due to people demanding them and offering money for them.

It's better to just keep the gates shut.

Traders already sell items I don't think they should.

Wurm is all about the world being built by the players. No dev made roads or signs etc.

*To respond to LorraineJ's post about 'how am i winning, what do you mean pay-to-win?': Pay to win maybe not for you, but for someone looking to 'compete' either in the marketplace or as a top craftsman etc, the addition of teleports and other game breaking items in a cash shop would become requirements rather than optional extras if they wish to remain at the top. It is an MMO, not a single player game.

Things like teleports would also deminish acomplishments for people. Someone who trained a skill to 100 before the addition of teleports and other time saving extras would feel 'cheated' as people could now train the same skill to 100 in a much shorter time for example.

If you really wish to 'help out the devs' or generate more income for them, buy a larger deed or add 5 years upkeep to your current deeds.

We don't need more items being sold as extras.

If you pay for the game, you should get access to the same game everyone else does, without optional extras that only benefit those who can afford it. (Paying other players for items/accounts/silver is different, you're giving people money for their time spent...time spent doing things everyone else should be able to do/make themselves)

A subscription and deed fees are more than enough for people to pay for.

• Like 1

Ok so teleports are too controversial point taken after 3 pages..... 

1s item that turns an animal into a "writ" with all its traits written down... yes... as in animal disappears.  Won't go back to being an animal until it's on a different server, you got 3 days to make the move before it decays.

1s dunno eh... seryll lamps with a "switch" similar to shop signs to pick from a few colors, shines like q80 iron lamp.  Opens the road for other varieties later on.

uuh... 

5-10s item that adds +1km/h to min speed of any ship (not max, leave max speed mechanics as is), stacks up to 3.

1s Ship lamp sets with 3 or 4 configurations available on purchase.

1s for a 24hr buff that allows non-prems to bash ***only on their own deed*** regardless of Body Strength.  By and by would be a nice thing to give to people planting a deed for the first time, 3 or 4 of those untradeable version.

50 copper wall mounts allowing you to use a fish on it, slap the mounted fish .. or butchered head... to a wall.. once attached can't be recovered.

BARTENDER CONTRACT.... like a merchant, but you add the ingredients for meals to it, 1c per 10ql meal, can only sell up to ingredient ql you stocked it with (separate interface from) aaand if we could post player-made beverages in player-made containers on it like a normal merchant without decay blowing it all up.... heck i'd pay 10s for one of those... per inn i make.

What about these.. ship speed would address the "travel times" since chance of slow winds is the true killer... really shiny vanity lamps, you'd see more lighting all over once again helps travel times.  Ship lamps don't break anything I can think of and facilitates canal travel.. trophy fish mounts .... really can't think of what those would break.... Cosmetic capes and hats if anything leave you with an unprotected helm spot so not exactly pay to win... 

Sure, that kind of fluff in item shops detracts from the purity of gaming, then again it's easy to get NES games these days and if the purity of gaming is your main cause to champion..... #firstworldproblems there's more important things in life than keeping games inconvenient even if it hurts the profits of the financially embattled game you so claim to love.

• Like 1

What about these.. ship speed would address the "travel times" since chance of slow winds is the true killer

Edited by Cista
  • Like 2