Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Epic feedback feedback thread

@adama

Have you tried 1vs1 on MnB or any of the games that you named against a player who spends a lot more time than you in the game? Trust me, with full loot and having to spend hours to reequip yourself you wouldn't like to meet such a player.

I'm also pretty sure that Rolf would love to change the combat mechanics to this (I would also love to see better use of horses in combat) but the lag is prohibiting (especially for those who live in north america who complain frequently about disconnects and such). To make things worse this lag is also probably due to issues with the ISP and not the code. Combat game mechanics like these don't favor single universe MMOs and especially true-sandbox MMOs where every part of the map can change at any time.

PS. challenge pretty much eliminates the need to bother with time consuming grinding anyway.

I was referring to those games only in the context that most existing players in this game do not like the idea of having a fighting system similar to wow not in relation to the skill they are two separate issues entirely imho.

Here's my problem. I'm rebuilding a deed on Elevation, it'll probably take about a year to complete.

Assume the map is reset. I lose the existing deed, all my stuff and horses, etc. Back to square one. Why would I put any more effort into Wurm knowing it's just going to be erased at some point?

Assume the map is not reset. Except now the issue has been raised I'll always be expecting a reset at some point. So again, why would I continue building?

The bottom line is, regardless of whether the Elevation map is now reset, you've managed to completely destroy my trust and confidence in Wurm. Now I'm left feeling like the sword of Damocles is hanging over my head.

Assume Valrei meteor falls down and screws your deed. With horses and all yo stuff. You mine it and get overall 1-1.5 kg. of glimmer/ada.

You lost your deed, lost your stuff, got nothing. You will be happy though I suppose? There were no map reset, and everything were in line with current game setup.

Instead of removing local. why not reduce local down to around the effective range of a long or medium bow?

Edited by Entendu

20 tiles, like how being in a mine was.

Edited by Aetherion
  • Like 2

I think local should be changed back to how it was. Local is mostly used to talk to passersby and neighbours. It is not good that you cant see if those people you where talking to have left local or not, it also makes the game more like a single player game when you feel like you are alone in your corner and you never see anyone.

Free to play players are this game most likely next premium players and turning off seeing who is in local does not help them stay in this game and feel apart of a community, turning of local hurts this game far more than it helps it.

• Like 3

Local is mostly used to talk to passersby and neighbours. It is not good that you cant see if those people you where talking to have left local or not

On Epic Local is mostly used for scouting and counting enemies before fight to make decision regarding engagement in the fight.

If you want to talk with someone you can use PMs ...

On Epic Local is mostly used for scouting and counting enemies before fight to make decision regarding engagement in the fight.

If you want to talk with someone you can use PMs ...

But this only effects non premium players. Who are not even allowed on elevation. 

I'm completely against a evelation map reset is my opinion. What makes me play wurm is is the unique style of terraforming the land in a pvp environment (though I don't pvp much I like having the option there while I move around stupid amounts of dirt). If elevation gets reset what has my work on deed been for? 

Over my time in wurm i've read the steady stream of complaints about unstable client, broken valrei, lame missions, /who, griefing/spies etc which you have a bunch of good ideas been thrown at you that could be a fix but leave the map alone please. 

But this only effects non premium players. Who are not even allowed on elevation.

Edited by vill

I'm completely against a evelation map reset is my opinion. What makes me play wurm is is the unique style of terraforming the land in a pvp environment (though I don't pvp much I like having the option there while I move around stupid amounts of dirt). If elevation gets reset what has my work on deed been for? 

Over my time in wurm i've read the steady stream of complaints about unstable client, broken valrei, lame missions, /who, griefing/spies etc which you have a bunch of good ideas been thrown at you that could be a fix but leave the map alone please. 

Edited by Edvinas

^ is right

Elevation was a bad map to begin with. The Valrei events, Wands, etc. made it worse. And now after Rolf tried to fix it and put it the supply depot it's even worse

Edited by New_Unsleep
  • Like 2

^ is right

Elevation was a bad map to begin with. The Valrei events, Wands, etc. made it worse. And now after Rolf tried to fix it and put it the supply depot it's even worse

How on earth is it a bad map?  He pretty much took every complaint there was about the chaos map and fixed it, Elevation is the way it is because we all saw how bad a large map with terrain obstacles everywhere was for pvp beforehand...

• Like 2

The amount of people in the other thread asking for either maps or skills to be reset on epic is pretty disturbingly high, I'm glad Rolf has the brains to not completely screw over a decent portion of his income base. Fixing Valrei and focusing on fewer, working missions sounds amazing. 

One issue that is disturbingly quiet here is the toxicity of the environment on Elevation. I would wager one of the largest factors that has led to players leaving elevation/epic is the maturity level, or complete lackthereof on Elevation, or at least, back when I was active. Maybe it has improved now? Though I do doubt it.

Seeing JK only having 1 god on the map definitely is such a long overdue change. 

There are going to be groups in any game that have various levels of maturity, and the actual problem on Elevation is that the low population makes, as a singular or small group of players, joining the main group almost a necessity.  It's just bad luck if people don't work well with others, but the very limited options kind of make getting involved in Ele kind of hard, yeah.

Idk if this is true or would happen with a new map that wasn't quite as "openly rideable or w/e" as Elevation, but maybe with more natural boundaries, more groups of players would find it easier to make their own areas where they can set up...

Obviously, there's upsides and downsides to most situations, lol;

- a small, very open/flat map with crowded corners and lots of "no-mans land" in the middle will make PvP much more easily accessible, but can result in more two-dimensional/shallow number battles.

- a medium/large, more naturally hostile environment with more mountains/rivers/lakes w/e, where PvP may be more strategic/rely on individual players' skills more than just target/bow/shoot, but yet you might have to travel great distances just to possibly fail to catch a retreating enemy after they've raided a deed, or something.

IMO, Chaos/Epic have aspects of both; I guess the question is, is there a balance?  Can a new Epic server somehow find a better balance between these two "extremes."?  who knows

I think local should be changed back to how it was. Local is mostly used to talk to passersby and neighbours. It is not good that you cant see if those people you where talking to have left local or not, it also makes the game more like a single player game when you feel like you are alone in your corner and you never see anyone.

Free to play players are this game most likely next premium players and turning off seeing who is in local does not help them stay in this game and feel apart of a community, turning of local hurts this game far more than it helps it.

How on earth is it a bad map?  He pretty much took every complaint there was about the chaos map and fixed it, Elevation is the way it is because we all saw how bad a large map with terrain obstacles everywhere was for pvp beforehand...

Edited by Edvinas
  • Like 4

I assume he changed it because he wants to push f2p on elevation for some reason.

It really makes no sense to have it on the home servers.

Perhaps the idea behind it is to bring f2p people on raids with us? To convince them to prem? 

• Like 1

PvP is not just finding a group, charging in and fighting. We all know how that ends, either super exiting archery fight standoffs or "welp we can't catch up to them anymore since this is the only way they can go" fightsa, its about planning and then succeeding, the chase that lead up the fight. If the new map is planned well enough, maybe there would be more tactics involved such as flanking, planning enemy movement ahead of time. Wurm is just not like other MMO's where fighting on a flat plane is fun enough, its, well...rolling the dice and running around.

• Like 2

I agree it needs rivers. Thats one of the main things for me. Just having a flat map with a mountain here and there is boring. 

• Like 1

I agree it needs rivers. Thats one of the main things for me. Just having a flat map with a mountain here and there is boring. 

Edited by Omar

If we can make a zone where f2p can't spawn in the center of the map wouldn't that prevent a lot of the problems? So they have to swim or take boats to get to the center? 

No spawning or hard to traverse terrain won't stop alts being used to spy. A player can put f2p alts in caves overlooking enemy rally points / choke points etc. especially with a reduced or no local.

One way would be to limit f2p to a radius around the starter.

Or tie the connections to machine ID instead of IP?

The changes made me want to re-play on Epic. Bought some premium on my new toon, enjoying it so far.

I am planning on doing a lot of pvp when my toon buffs up and i think that experiencing a new map for

elevation would make me more hyped. Simple opinion.

• Like 1