Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Epic feedback feedback thread

ofc 100% of the kills are with people in local, Wurm has this system that tracks who is in it. Might as well have said 100% of these flower pots where created cause they had someone in local.

You clearly don't see what I mean.  I didn't say the kills are with people in local.  I said the kills are because of local

WTF?

PAcMRoa.jpg

That's so it doesn't look so bad Elevation only has 34 lol being such a "big" server and all.....

Edited by Uberknot

You clearly don't see what I mean.  I didn't say the kills are with people in local.  I said the kills are because of local

Now, give chance for new kills, without local.

That's so it doesn't look so bad Elevation only has 34 lol being such a big server and all.....

Wtf u talking about clown? They r all the same size.

Problem is, what the sence to change it in luncher but keep on forum.

• Like 1

Wtf u talking about clown? They r all the same size.

Ok maybe i meant "big" meaning they have all the goodies and special stuff etc.....yet still only 34 players.

The only thing I see bringing more people there is forcing all F2P to start there.

Edited by Uberknot

The only thing that is going to increase numbers is exposure and advertising but Rolf insists that the return on investment isnt enough , although other games do it and it obviously didnt work out for Notch

• Like 1

Ok maybe i meant "big" meaning they have all the goodies and special stuff etc.....yet still only 34 players.

The only thing I see bringing more people there is forcing all F2P to start there.

newsflash: All of the epic servers (plural) play with the same valrei system. Combined all the 4 servers got the same size as chaos, yet higher population.

• Like 1

Here's my problem. I'm rebuilding a deed on Elevation, it'll probably take about a year to complete.

Assume the map is reset. I lose the existing deed, all my stuff and horses, etc. Back to square one. Why would I put any more effort into Wurm knowing it's just going to be erased at some point?

Assume the map is not reset. Except now the issue has been raised I'll always be expecting a reset at some point. So again, why would I continue building?

The bottom line is, regardless of whether the Elevation map is now reset, you've managed to completely destroy my trust and confidence in Wurm. Now I'm left feeling like the sword of Damocles is hanging over my head.

• Like 2

Here's my problem. I'm rebuilding a deed on Elevation, it'll probably take about a year to complete.

Assume the map is reset. I lose the existing deed, all my stuff and horses, etc. Back to square one. Why would I put any more effort into Wurm knowing it's just going to be erased at some point?

Assume the map is not reset. Except now the issue has been raised I'll always be expecting a reset at some point. So again, why would I continue building?

The bottom line is, regardless of whether the Elevation map is now reset, you've managed to completely destroy my trust and confidence in Wurm. Now I'm left feeling like the sword of Damocles is hanging over my head.

Mowglia, If you wanted your work to not be in vain, You should'v went to freedom or one of the carebear epic servers. NOT Elevation where it could be erased in under 48 hours(The raid of sparta displayed that very well)

• Like 1

The only thing I have to say about all of this, is that a map reset is a short term solution. It may result in a quick intake of new players, but this will only be temporary. 6 months down the line, Epic will be in exactly the same situation, only this time without any of the history it's been building for the past few years.

• Like 6

Mowglia, If you wanted your work to not be in vain, You should'v went to freedom or one of the carebear epic servers. NOT Elevation where it could be erased in under 48 hours(The raid of sparta displayed that very well)

Building a new deed will be great grinding of skills.. More skills for the wurmians!!

I may actually build my own deed

Who knows

• Like 2

after 6 months if people start getting bored again just add something big and new ... thats how all mmos work

• Like 2

Maybe we should stop at this, where it is now and see if the Epic cluster wont bring us more people, 150 players seems quite attractive and shows that there is live on the epic cluster and live in pvp. Before the changes we saw 4 servers with 30-40 people, now we see one cluster with 150 players. Lets see if the numbers will not start to rise before we do more changes, lets at least don't run and jump forward with the changes.

Epic is a live and kicking and we are still having fun playing this game and I believe more players will come our way. We need to find a way to let people stay, for example with off deed villages where people can live in saver environment and earn trust and feel save.

it would be more live if we had a map reset... ive seen many people pop up just from the idea of the map reset

• Like 3

Wow, really...I'm so impressed with the changes it might make me return to Wurm.

EDIT:  Yup, I'm back...just bought 2 months of prem.  See what you did Rolf...making all these positive changes...jeez.

Edited by Object
  • Like 1

The amount of people in the other thread asking for either maps or skills to be reset on epic is pretty disturbingly high, I'm glad Rolf has the brains to not completely screw over a decent portion of his income base. Fixing Valrei and focusing on fewer, working missions sounds amazing. 

One issue that is disturbingly quiet here is the toxicity of the environment on Elevation. I would wager one of the largest factors that has led to players leaving elevation/epic is the maturity level, or complete lackthereof on Elevation, or at least, back when I was active. Maybe it has improved now? Though I do doubt it.

Seeing JK only having 1 god on the map definitely is such a long overdue change. 

Edited by Arronicus

it would be more live if we had a map reset... ive seen many people pop up just from the idea of the map reset

You have a whole bunch of people who don't play, saying they would play if the map was ruined for those who do play. Those of us with deeds we have spent VERY long periods of time working on, deeds we are proud of, deeds we have paid for years to maintain. And you would have that destroyed, reset, taken away from us who actually play, so that a few people who popped their heads up at the idea of a reset could come back in, play for a week, and then quit again? 

No, it would not be more alive with a map reset, the current active players would largely quit or change maps, and new people would come, play a little, then leave epic again just like they did before. There is a lot of room to build, there is a lot of pristine areas, coming to epic because of a map reset is not going to make players stay, because the people who genuinely want to play on epic are already here (or on challenge). 

• Like 1

Many people afraid that the remove local there will be more difficult to meet the enemy and even less PVP.

I understand these concerns

I wroted:

in case of removing local, improve a bit ingame sounds to allow easier localisation of foes ( new map should be cleaner too - less olives and more open space in general )

I think that cast Nolocate on person is too OP. 

It would be a good solution, if after higer cast locate soul , nolocate will be  remove. Next cast will show where is enemy if he not recast nolocate. 

And ofcourse necessary are better sound.  (checkdarkfall)

Edited by Kuciak
  • Like 1

I am someone that plays probably 90% of my time on a home server, yes. I left Elevation because of the toxic community and the fact that I was being insulted and degraded by my own kingdom members.

• Like 1

Hello Rolf,

It seems your main intent is to find a way to drive new players to your game and increase retention of these players. I recently within the past week or two rejoined Wurm Online after not playing for over a year. I would like to share my experience and what has cause me to move on to other games in the past, the hurdles I faced rejoining, what causes me to want to come back, and what will likely cause me to move on again in the future. Hopefully this feedback and feedback from others like me is what drives the decisions you make in growing your business and community.

First I want to start with what makes me come back to Wurm Online. It's very simple the crafting mechanics of this game are like none other. The closest I have found is Life is Feudal. Unfortunately that game is not an MMO at the moment but if it does become one as it plans I foresee Wurm Online being a distant blip in my gaming memories.

Second I would like to discuss the hurdles I faced upon rejoining. The main issue I have every time I rejoin Wurm Online is the lack of information at hand. Yes, there is an abundant source of information through the Wiki, Forums, and other sources but it is very difficult in particular to figure out which server I should be playing and what the differences are before even logging in. I really like your idea of merging the /who and server stats pages for all of the Epic servers and highly suggest using this model for both or the server clusters. I would even suggest not publicly displaying them as server clusters but as two separate servers you can join with separate continents because really that is what they are. After joining either Epic designated as the PvP server or Freedom designated as a PvE server (with a short blerb explaining that Freedom players can travel to Chaos for PvP) allow players to join a continent through a GUI that explains the function of each one. Upon rejoining I brought with me another player who discontinued playing at the same time as me last time I played. I also have 2-4 other players who have joined 2 of which have already purchased premium. This game calls for a community which I love but it is very unforgiving starting out. I like the full loot survivalist mindset that this game brings however a majority of the day is spent fighting off hordes of animals. I hate to say reduce the animal spawn rates on the home servers because I am actually very happy they have been increased since I last played. Thinking about how to make it easier for new player should be a focus though. The new crafting GUI is a really nice addition but I find myself reverting to the old methods just out of habit. Additions like this give me hope that you are focused on making the game easier to understand and adapt to for new players and I sincerely hope you continue down this path.

Finally I would like to share what has cause me to move on in the past and what will likely cause me to move on again in the future. The crafting in this game is amazing. The fighting system and balance is very lack luster. When speaking with existing players about gear all I hear is Plate is the only way to go. The fighting system is based too heavily off of your crafting skills and the amount of time you have sunk into the game. Any time I have played this game I feel as if I can never be as good 1v1 against someone who has been playing for 3+ years straight because by the time I get my body stats and fighting skills to be on par with them theirs will be much higher and I will have spent 3 years of my life grinding. I strongly believe your ability as a fighter should be completely separate from your ability as a crafter. I also strongly believe there should be a point at which everyone is equal measured only by their skill as a person playing the game in combat. I also strongly believe you should be able to attain a completely equal stance in PvP in a reasonable amount of time which should not require months or years of grinding for an average person who works a 40 hour a week job and likes to go out occasionally on the weekends. Let's face it Wurm is a grindfest and thats ok but PvP should not be that. Now that's all fine and good and really just the reason why I have moved on before. The reason I will likely move on in the future is that as many changes as you make to this game if you keep the base fighting system it just isn't appealing. There is a reason most MMO's follow the same construct for fighting systems and it's because it works, its fun, and its balanced. Other developers have implemented other systems which are far more enjoyable than your basic MMO combat system examples would be (not all of these are MMO's) Life is Feudal, Mortal Online, Mount and Blade, this is to say that you don't need to follow mainstream but the fighting system in my opinion could use a complete re-write.

I realize that I am one of many players in this game and opinions are like asses. Hopefully just seeing another point of view helps in some way and it is not my expectation that any of the changes I have suggested will be implemented. I do strongly believe however that if at a minimum you completely re-write the combat system and after doing so release Wurm Online 2 on Steam you would make millions. This game is a diamond in the rough, you just need to find that thing that makes it shine. 

• Like 3

@adama

Have you tried 1vs1 on MnB or any of the games that you named against a player who spends a lot more time than you in the game? Trust me, with full loot and having to spend hours to reequip yourself you wouldn't like to meet such a player.

I'm also pretty sure that Rolf would love to change the combat mechanics to this (I would also love to see better use of horses in combat) but the lag is prohibiting (especially for those who live in north america who complain frequently about disconnects and such). To make things worse this lag is also probably due to issues with the ISP and not the code. Combat game mechanics like these don't favor single universe MMOs and especially true-sandbox MMOs where every part of the map can change at any time.

PS. challenge pretty much eliminates the need to bother with time consuming grinding anyway.

Edited by Anothernoob