Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Epic feedback feedback thread

This thread... "Turn current home epic servers to freedom servers". Bah, im outta of this thread. 

Im just gonna leave this here tho:

Remove CR Nerf from home servers. Or if your gonna make PvE Servers on epic, Just merge the clusters already and get it over with, Merge freedom & epic stats and be done with it. People will rage but they'l get over it.

+1 would get my full vote to merge with freedom/chaos.

+ 1 for map reset

+1 for cr nerf og away

+ 1 for fixing valrei!

Removing local is first step to take this game out of Text combat age and get new players...    without drastic changes like this one there is no point to reset Elevation.

Edited by vill
  • Like 3

WTF?

Dont suggest making things more expensive. Some people dont want to spend more money on a video game

Removing local kills pvp. At the very least a warning that says something like "you sense enemies near" and "you feel alone" so we know to actually spam pendi and look for enemies.

• Like 1

Removing local kills pvp. At the very least a warning that says something like "you sense enemies near" and "you feel alone" so we know to actually spam pendi and look for enemies.

Edited by vill

If we can make a zone where f2p can't spawn in the center of the map wouldn't that prevent a lot of the problems? So they have to swim or take boats to get to the center? 

• Like 2

Based on this I suggest we start things by taking the first pretty easy step:

* Start a poll about resetting the Elevation map (on Elevation so you'll have to go there to vote) in a month or so.

* Remove CR nerf

* Change /who and the status page to merge numbers on Epic

* Remove local lists on Elevation a while and see what the effect is

* Reduce the types of Valrei missions in order to make sure they work

* Make Vynora static on a Valrei square and make only Fo generate missions

I put here a quote from another dev:

In this post, we want to share our views on the relationship between safe zones and PvP zones. It is particularly addressed at those of you who think that by making certain aspects of the game safer, we are somehow harming the PvP experience. The opposite is true.

How to create active PvP Zones

One of the core design goals for ********* is to provide exciting, full loot PvP and GvG on a constant basis. This will largely happen in the unrestricted red zones of the game.

If you are a hardcore PvP player, you will want those zones to be populated and active - not just at launch, but also years later.

As it stands, there have been many hardcore full loot PvP games that never really got their feet of the ground or stagnate at a very low player population. (such as Mortal Online or Darkfall). Yet, on the other hand, you have a game such as Eve Online that has tens of thousands of active players at any point in time.

So why is that?

Safe zones and PvP zones are synergistic and not contradictory

In order for a full loot PvP game with a player driven economy to work in the long term, you need a large underlying foundation of players that take part in the player driven economy and that provide a constant flow of new players wanting to try PvP.

That underlying foundations of players needs to be able to properly play the game without being forced into PvP and without getting totally bored if they don't. If you try and force players into PvP, they will just quit the game. If however, you provide them with a great experience, allowing them to gradually learn and the game a progress, chance are that a large proportion of them will move to PvP permanently or at least occassionally give it a try. This is exactly why Eve Online is still thriving after 10 years and Mortal Online suffer from extremely low player populations.

Our Approach

•Have an attractive safe zone experience for newer players (while being aware that we will never compete with themepark games such as World of Warcraft here)

•Provide a soft transition for safe zone players to move into PvP, and incentive that transition with the right risk vs reward ratio. See the discussion regarding yellow zones

•Ensure that the rewards offered by a zone are based on how risky it is: the best gear and dungeons will only be in the red zones.

We are fully convinced that the above approach is truly a win-win situation for all player types.

•For newer or more safety-minded players, it means that they have an easier entry into the game and are not forced into PvP when they do not feel ready

•For hardcore players looking for PvP all the time, it means that the game's population will be large, with enough action happening in the PvP zones.

Your ideas are exactly the opposite, the highlighted changes(in the your text I quoted) are only benefitting the established PvP-ers, who want to have more kills. Thinking that this will bring more players (lambs to the slaughter) is bit naive. What you need to do, is.. you need to offer something for every gamer type this includes hardcore PvP-ers AND also carebears.

Thank you Rolf for listen us...about this topic i wont comment i leave for ele ppl to decide the best option for elevation.

thx again.

We are not interested in drawing players from other parts of the game. We want players to return and totally new players. New players could start on a the home servers but I think they work pretty poorly in that respect unless you think something like 10 new players per month is a huge success. It could be better with a consolidated server.

I wanted to say that. many of the perceived problems with epic is just that, a demographic problem. And the answer is more players. But where to find them? Wurm's learning curve is forbiding, and the way epic is working doesnt seem to entice much any new players.

Solutions that are being suggested mostly try to counter the symptoms of the problem. Asking the players what they want is going to give very one-sided mindset regarding this issue since they all are old players and dont care at all about bringing newbies in. (at least not in a really competitive to their status way).

I am not sure myself, if there is a magic recipe of rules and regulations that could coax new players in (at least in epic). In the light of that, i have one nugging question in my brain. Why not invest in the sandboxiness of a sandbox game? why try to regulate it so much? Why try to keep alive custom-made features that have been spitting out problems all the time (like preset kingdoms and homeservers).

Give it a try with challenge map at first, see if it sticks with people. If you manage to make a challenge map wich players dont want it to end, i thing then you've found a good "epic" recipe.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but your issue with Elevation is the toxic community you experienced?  How is a map reset going to change that if the players remain?

As for no local "increasing pvp and improving combat"  I'm pretty sure 90% or maybe even up to 100% of the kills Elevation has gotten lately or probably in its entirety (not including battlecamps/hota) are because of people in local

ofc 100% of the kills are with people in local, Wurm has this system that tracks who is in it. Might as well have said 100% of these flower pots where created cause they had someone in local.

• Like 1

Give it a try with challenge map at first, see if it sticks with people. If you manage to make a challenge map wich players dont want it to end, i thing then you've found a good "epic" recipe.

I said this a while back challenge is the perfect environment to test all new pvp and pve features NOBODY gains anything in the end. it's all deleted.

• Like 1

We can look into reducing local a lot just so you can count those people you see at least.

Ingame map is for Valrei.

A lot of people want a larger map with starter islands away from the center. I think it makes sense. The home servers only exist because we have had trouble with map sizes and protection. The idea is to consolidate players in the Epic cluster which means directing people towards one server only but we will not discuss wiping home servers.

If we don't do Elevation F2P there's no reason to make it bigger with start cities along the rim. We can look at some sort of Premium only zone in the middle but it sounds weird and exploitable. Could probably prevent spawning and tent dropping inside it though.

If theres a way for ppl gain a prize like ada,glimmer,seryll,other like treasures hunts,incentivations for ppl earn by participating in Hota nd an eventually raid or a siege,or other option catch the flag and the faction that sucessed by won that kind of event,should be rewarded,lots of ppl want do pvp they just need an incentive i dont think put ele to f2p is good...in my opinion,fix valrei and start do missions like raid deeds,reward them,titles,metals,example:ppl in epic doing events like killing uniques dont bother cause dont earn fs,or even the blood and thats all they receives,the hides and scale from the dragons ppl dont have acess has the fredom players,we dont see ppl using them we need a boost on this too.

Get more money to wurm and flux of players,is it possible?

Yes,put this game on steam,origin,desura,it will cost money by make advertisement but you will sucess by spread wurm online game,thats will create a flux of new ppl coming to wurm and more money too.

other thing, please,make changes on the prices of the items in traders for making more acessibles to everyone,it matters asking for 50s for a rod or a item or 5s for 1 sleep powder,thats a nonsense ppl wont buy it,selling more cheaper it will increase the money rolling on the server and increase the economics,like ppl buying more often ...that way more money will enter to the game aswell.

the game is brilliant theres nothing outthere has this game,need also some optimization,tweeks,fix lagg,etc... i will leave this to comment ppl that know what to know to improve the game.

this is only few options that i leave here.thank you!

Edited by cybrax
  • Like 1

Eliminating local will institutionalize the use of legions of spy alts (or low-skilled accounts) to perform the same function as the local box-- if non-prem alts are allowed, there will be hundreds, if the server is prem-only, we're being drawn into paying a 'local tax'

Edited by PaulTRW

Eliminating local will institutionalize the use of legions of spy alts (or low-skilled accounts) to perform the same function as the local box-- if non-prem alts are allowed, there will be hundreds, if the server is prem-only, we're being drawn into paying a 'local tax'

This is the biggest nonsense i've read so far.

Using an alt won't magically allow you to see people everywhere. You have to search/scan for people like normal. They won't act as some kind of local box.

You are also forgetting that you have to move the alt somewhere, probably across the map to set him up to spy. You will also need a second screen or work with tiny client windows.

All of it ruined by two arrows if the alt gets spotted.

Worst case scenario is that somoene sets a few alts up on a deed and uses a seperate screen to simulate some sort of camera security system. If that's a major issue just force some status effect on people who have been afk for a few minutes, causing their screens to "freeze" with an effect till they move again.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused now. How does making local premium only solve any problem? Elevation has no f2p, all fighters there will be able to see how many enemies are in local and even know who they are. Are you preparing to introduce f2p on Elevation or just make the lives of f2p on home servers more difficult?

If you want to play with local just make it so that instead of enemy names you see a "Some enemies in local", what can a premium-only-local help with?

PS. the rest of the changes in the update seem fine.

Edited by Anothernoob

I can't believe the minority of loud voices actually convinced Rolf to remove local, in part anyway.

Im looking, and not a single home server has more people on than elevation. Used to jkh had a lot more people than this, and was the most populated epic server, but many got tired of being useless on a homeserver, and decided to move to elevation to actually help out and contribute to their kingdom. Which is wonderful. Also you said youre not 100% safe on a homeserver. Anyone with half a mind is %100 safe on their own kingdom homeserver. Raiders will not have horses, so if you allow yourself to be caught by them than thats your own fault. By no means should you be killed on your own homeserver unless you just suicide into the enemy.  

Serenity players 17/400 Desertion players 9/400 Affliction players 12/400 Elevation players 23/400

I know this is hard to understand but 17+9+12=38>23   and any raider with half a mind grabs horses as soon as they cross the border and throws 90/90 gear on them. Its not like I just started playing this game and have never pvp'd or raided. You yourself used to play a homeserver. Right now it is 21+14+16=51>26 so no matter how you look at it homeserver population is greater then Ele it is the way it is so you play your game we will play ours

I know this is hard to understand but 17+9+12=38>23   and any raider with half a mind grabs horses as soon as they cross the border and throws 90/90 gear on them. Its not like I just started playing this game and have never pvp'd or raided. You yourself used to play a homeserver. Right now it is 21+14+16=51>26 so no matter how you look at it homeserver population is greater then Ele it is the way it is so you play your game we will play ours

Don't worry soon enough it will be 26 to 26....lol.

I don't see any changes listed that will add players or bring in new players.

* Start a poll about resetting the Elevation map (on Elevation so you'll have to go there to vote) in a month or so.

* Remove CR nerf

* Change /who and the status page to merge numbers on Epic

* Remove local lists on Elevation a while and see what the effect is

* Reduce the types of Valrei missions in order to make sure they work

* Make Vynora static on a Valrei square and make only Fo generate missions

Edited by Uberknot

Removing local is first step to take this game out of Text combat age and get new players...    without drastic changes like this one there is no point to reset Elevation.

Edited by Teosen

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

It's obvious who doesn't care about increasing PvP and numbers on Elevation. Those people are clamoring how they are losing all their bricks, dirt, time spent, etc..

fabd66eb44.png

Love you ;)

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 2