Sign in to follow this  
Kammerz

Still no Role-Play in Wurm?

One problem that crops up anytime that role play is enforced, not encouraged  is that often members of a community do not have a "shared vision" of how hardcore the rules are going to be.  

Is it against the rules to tell someone to check Wumpedia for a recipe? Or to complain about difficulties logging into the server? What if someone names their character Brash Endeavors -- will they get a warning and forced to rename? Who will decide what names are ok and which ones are not? Is Willow ok? Is Warlander or Aetherwalker? Will we have a list of names to guide us and a moderator who kicks us off the server if we disagree? Who is going to settle all the fights on whether someone was properly "in character" or not?  

The other issue is that you have come back to the game at a time when players are VERY sensitive about the idea of new additional servers. I happen to like myself how "spread out" the playbase is, but I am in a minority I think. So ANY discussion of "adding new servers" will cause a lot of conflict, anger  and opposition for some.

Those are reasons why I am in the group that feels Members of the community are ultimately responsible for providing good roleplaying options.   Certainly villages can be established with their own codes of conduct and what is allowed/disallowed. We have had these in the past and I am sure they can flourish -- if players feel a need for them.  If you are not able to get a village of 10 to 20 people excited about the idea, why would you think an entire server is going to do well?

And I am 100 percent behind any suggestions to add more NEW roleplaying elements to the game -- things that encourage people to roleplay travelling bards, pilgrims, tavernkeepers, travelling mummer troupes, etc. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

This oddly has turned about debating do we need new server or not for RP which clearly ain't the OP's purpose here?

There is valid point that Chaos would be the best place to get some RP going since there ain't no restrictions.

But, i'm sure some griefing will kill that in a blink. Thankfully Chaos belongs to freedom cluster and you can visit there when life gets dull in PvE servers :)  

Maybe a Suggestions thread, "How can Rolf and Players Encourage More Roleplay?"

-- Some options/settings that are unique to a roleplaying village?

-- I was being semi serious about Wurm Spring Fashion Week ^_^ I think the addition of social clothing will help players get into the mood.

One factor -- most social villages break up over the course of time. The ones that have lasted for years are very rare.  So there are threads on role playing villages on Xanadu last summer, but none of them survived very long. Maybe time for a new one?  Would more villages survive better with active roleplaying? What types of "tools" will help this?

We can have a discussion without having a Staff appointment to Roleplaying Liason

I had a small village of RPlayers near me, off deed, for a while.  It was a blast. 

If you would like to come out here, PM me.  I am willing to keep my visits with you in local, and keep my contacts in game, all RP style.

Welcome back :)

• Like 1

Thanks Onyr! I'm actually hatching a plot with a couple of friends. a great new idea which I can't spill the beans on in this forum but may let u know via PM :P

• Like 1

social clothing

+1 for more clothing. Someone could easily work on that either as a volunteer or spare time without interfering with the development of the rest of the game.

I've been wanting to start my own village after coming back (played in 2012) and I'm stuck between doing a all viking warrior town, or an all priest town.  

Either way I am placing my village in the northern plains of Xanadu, which is infested with a gazillion beasts to slay.  I plan to build many pallisade walls to make it look viking-ish regardless.

However, with the talks of a new epic server I've been holding off.  I would much rather have a viking or all priest town on a pvp server but have no interest joining the dead servers of epic at the moment.

Per Rolf on roleplaying

Labor = lore

Your sweat is your story!

Sounds like Wurm. I've spent a short amount of time in RP-enforced MUDs, and it always ends with me giving up on the complicated commands for emoting, dialogue and everything ... the sort of stuff you can do naturally in a tabletop game.

Anyway, Kammerz, good luck and welcome back

I've been wanting to start my own village after coming back (played in 2012) and I'm stuck between doing a all viking warrior town, or an all priest town.  

Either way I am placing my village in the northern plains of Xanadu, which is infested with a gazillion beasts to slay.  I plan to build many pallisade walls to make it look viking-ish regardless.

However, with the talks of a new epic server I've been holding off.  I would much rather have a viking or all priest town on a pvp server but have no interest joining the dead servers of epic at the moment.

We need   Wurm  Spring  Fashion  Week    to get us all in the right mood

Medeival1.png

fashion_inspired_by_the_middle_ages_ii_b

laaaa.png

I was involved with a pretty strong and fantastic RP group in another game and this is what I picked up from there:

1. You need both the initiative to make your ideas happen as well as the flexibility to add to and play along with others' stories/plots. That means don't wait for other people to start up something that you thought up - everybody has their own interests/ideas.

2. Good roleplayers provide clear rules/guidelines. Which channel to use for what kind of communication (local IC, village/alliance OOC), what are rules for names, what is accepted lore, how to deal with non-roleplayers, how to deal with OOC knowledge, are all actions carried out by in-game mechanics or is some stuff simply acted out (someone plays a knight and beats everyone at spars, even though the toon is at FS 0)? How do you deal with drama queens? Some of this is seen as common knowledge among experienced RP'ers, but don't expect people to just know this stuff - and the rest is the format you agree on in your group.

3. Similarly to the above: what kind of RP is the focus? Social RP (like mostly family gatherings and tavern stuff, have an ale, have some pie)? Low-brow, day-to-day stuff (peasants clearing up dung and messing about)? High-fantasy (your neighbour is actually a vampire and you have a step-brother who was taken by sol demons to valrei, hm-hm)? Plot-driven RP (where you get lost in the forest because you're looking for a bandit princess)?

- Strangely enough, none of the RP village threads had any info about such things!! One person's roleplaying can be another person's waste of time, so it's important to match with similarly minded people.

4. Thriving RP groups post their events in a story format somewhere for reference, for people who missed the action and plainly for advertisement. This is a fabulous way for others to find out if they're interested in what you're doing.

5. Organization: do you just RP 24/7 when in the game, or do you have scheduled events? Who is responsible for what during events and how do you schedule those? How do you avoid burnout on RP, when people just want to log on to the game for some skill grind or to tend their animals?

I think Wurm seems to be suited well for light, low-brow RP stuff - just talk funny in local and you're almost there. :)

For plot-based RP, themepark MMO's offer a wide variety of locations that are usually very predictable. It might be harder to pull off in Wurm... nobody wants to die to a hellhound in the middle of an RP session.

You mentioned RP servers but these really never worked out - powerplayers (think: unique hunters for instance) like to choose those servers, too, because they feel they have an easier time having the upper hand there. RP'ers also have to be aware that they are a prime target for griefers. Those miscreants can usually expect a much stronger and vocal attention for their efforts and can ruin RP just by using chat/emotes usually. It's usually a good policy for each and every one of your players to ignore these offenders as if they weren't there - and don't try to involve them in your RP!

Edited by Marshlander
  • Like 1

You know instead of the token handing out missions you could go to the trouble to actually make paper and write up a quest/bounty and place them in a container and the villagers can then pick one and do it. Bringing them back to turn in to the mayor to allow even more RP.

• Like 1

I've been RP'ing since about 1983. And in that time, I've played with many, many people. And in that time, I've found that typically roleplaying when strangers are involved, is two opinions and an ego asking who's for dinner.

• Like 1

Instead of seeking a RP server (which doesn't exist and from Rolf's comment displayed earlier in the thread isn't likely to in the future), try forming or joining a RP village that's a bit further out from neighboring villages on one of the servers (I'd suggest one of the Freedom Isles servers other than Chaos, as on a PvP server you'd likely be attacked without any emits or poses at all if there were others who didn't appreciate your playing style).

But in forming a village of your own (that is, formed by a group of RPrs) on  a PvE server, you can choose not to admit as citizens anyone who didn't want to  RP and could make sure the player whose character is mayor actively encouraged RP in day-to-day life and activity in the village.

Just an idea.  Seek a RP village instead of expecting a massive change from the game or others and open it to welcome others seeking a RP environment.

• Like 1

Just want to  say thanks to you brash, you often have such good things to contribute to the game and ideas to making wurm ever more rich and emersive

Just wanted to make sure you do not think I drew those, I found them on Google images. Exploring more shows them to be the work of artist RyuuseiRosuto as part of a deviantart sponsored "project runway" style event using paperdolls downloadable at http://www.designersnexus.com/

So anyone who thinks they can draw "clothes but not people" can maybe make up some original WURM designs using those public use fashion paperdolls....

• Like 2

i have been myself in a few rp communities in the past in wurm and have roleplayed on so many forums and other sites/games and in wurm well you kinda already have most of the tools you really need

you got local
you got pm
you got team chat
you got alliance chat
you got village chat

those 4 can be used to rp to your hearts content you can make signs or village recruitment boards to post up "missions" if you want to then setup a series of chests that only the mission maker and 1 other person per chest have access to and tada a place where one can put the items to finish a mission and so forth

one can use local chat for general roleplay between a village/everyone in local one can use pm's for talking about none rp stuff/setting rules/missions one can use team chat as a way of party chat between those wanting to work together
you got alliance chat for announcing missions or other things
you got village chat for general talk same goes for global chat

so say a mission is announced and one writes on papyrus sheets the mission details and puts them in the chests then the mission creator checks after a certain amount of time which chests have the sheets taken out of and writes down who has accepted the mission

thats all that is needed for players be it roleplayers or not alike to create missions for other players

right now there are 3 rp communities(1 was actively recruiting last i checked) that i know of 1 on xanadu 1 on indy and the other is a group of people who wander around the servers rping as hunters/explorers who play in the style of "once you die your character is perma death for that play through and you have to go back to the village and wait for the next one to start"

those are just the ones that i know of and the way my last group handled rping beyond the simple what chat is designated for what and what way are missions handed out things where left pretty simple rule wise one did not have to use /me to show they went out to do stuff unless they felt like it but it was asked for one would do so if you remembered

so really there is no need for an rp server ever and if you really want to rp in wurm take some of the things i said and add in your own rules write up a solid post that looks amazing heck even create some art work or a forum or anything if you feel like it and post it up in the recruitment section and go into global chat and tell people your recruiting for an rp community and with the link to the post and post that up every few hours and sooner or later you will see it grow just like any village that is recruiting

so just put in some effort and watch it grow

• Like 2

As a non-rp'er, I am confused why you think Wurm is particularly suited for it.

You mention the realism in the game play..this I don't understand.

Let's see.

Wurm = realism = not roleplay to me

Second Life = not realism = role play suited to me

- as, for instance, in Second Life:

"Gee honey, I am starving!" "Alright then, I will cook you some nice make-believe dinner!"

- while in Wurm

"Gee honey, I am starving!" (Lying because your health bar is full and you would not be able to make a dent in any actual food your wife serves you)

?

• Like 1

As a non-rp'er, I am confused why you think Wurm is particularly suited for it.

You mention the realism in the game play..this I don't understand.

Let's see.

Wurm = realism = not roleplay to me

Second Life = not realism = role play suited to me

- as, for instance, in Second Life:

"Gee honey, I am starving!" "Alright then, I will cook you some nice make-believe dinner!"

- while in Wurm

"Gee honey, I am starving!" (Lying because your health bar is full and you would not be able to make a dent in any actual food your wife serves you)

?

Some very good ideas discussed in this topic. Im definitely writing the good stuff down.

So anyone know where I can find some of these rp communities. Otherwise I'd make one myself.

• Like 1

You might just be lying to make her happy. Happens in RL, too.

But he's got a point, it's kind of hard to RP through making 2k bricks to build your village... ;)

• Like 1

Some very good ideas discussed in this topic. Im definitely writing the good stuff down.

So anyone know where I can find some of these rp communities. Otherwise I'd make one myself.

check the recruitment section for starters and ask in global chat

as for cista's examples you gotta realize that rp in wurm should be aimed towards stuff related in wurm so what might work elsewhere might not work here ;):P

also if you do end up starting one dont be to strict as thats the main reason almost every single rp community has died out is due to the strictness of the rules as to what you can and cant do so keep things simple make them be guidelines with a little set rules for the group to stick to and itl work a lot better

• Like 1

They should totally make wizard robe and hat if they already haven't!!