Sign in to follow this  
Kammerz

Still no Role-Play in Wurm?

I've just come back to Wurm after a 10 month break as I've been busy with my studies and other RL commitments.

Wurm is still by far the best survival sandbox I've ever played - and I've played pretty much all of them! Including all the new ones that seem to come out every other week on Steam :/

The realism in Wurm makes it an ideal candidate for some role-play themed villages, if not an entire dedicated server for it (I'm bias :P)

I've been back only a few days and I have asked around for developments on role-play in Wurm but haven't had any good news back - can someone enlighten me on this issue?

I heard you can now send mail with papyrus sheets? That'd be brilliant for roleplaying between villages and dedicating a scribe to the village :)

A lot of people argue Wurm was not made for role-play and therefore the game mechanics doesn't really support it. Although if you look at games such as Second Life or IMVU,  they were not made for role-playing but the community made it and now the role-play community in those games far exceed the normal players.

I'd totally love a new server dedicated for roleplaying.

I think I've mentioned it before to use the settlement token as a way of the mayor setting missions with coins.

Bring the mayor ten pelts to prove you have cleared the infestation of wolves.

Stuff like that but being able to enter it into some sort of mission board or settlement token :)

You can already RP just fine, you just need to find others who want to do so.

No need for mayors to create 'missions' at a mission board etc. You can chat or use other means to do so.

And definitely not a new server.

• Like 1

Role-play is fine. Should not be forced on everyone. No new servers - we already have enough of that. Perhaps get together on your home server and start a role-playing alliance?

• Like 1

RP server is a good idea, I think it should be connected to Freedom but far from Xanadu and other main servers (south of Celebration with connection only to Celebration?).

In addition, I think that it should be small to force communication between villages and trade.

• Like 1

As much as I like RP. I don't think Wurm has the population to support it.

RP server is a good idea, I think it should be connected to Freedom but far from Xanadu and other main servers (south of Celebration with connection only to Celebration?).

In addition, I think that it should be small to force communication between villages and trade.

Why does it need a new server? People are going to go there and not RP anyway.

It isn't like you can ban people for not RP'ing.

An alliance or even just a single deed can already RP. It's been done before.

I mentioned a server because most games have a 'RP' server, even if the majority on that server does not RP. It just means like minded individuals join that server and don't oppose of it...

Look at games like WoW and ESO and Guild Wars etc - they all have 'RP servers' 

And forget i mentioned that. Let's talk about role-play in general. Are there any villages on Xanadu doing RP? It'll only ever work on PVE i think.

We need   Wurm  Spring  Fashion  Week    to get us all in the right mood

Medeival1.png

fashion_inspired_by_the_middle_ages_ii_b

laaaa.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

There are a few RP villages, iirc one on cele and 2(?) on Xan ?

Also, on chaos you could totally RP being an evil priest.

Per Rolf on roleplaying

Does the setting and theme of Wurm lead to roleplaying? If so how important is this to you?

A: I tried to roleplay a lot in my earliest contact with online games and found that it usually works fairly poorly because you don’t have the tools. Usually you had to fantisize or emote stuff and it is often too easy to break the immersion. The idea behind roleplaying in Wurm is that if you want to be a priest you are forced to act like a priest. Likewise, if you want to be a blacksmith you start smithing and do many of the things a smith does such as temper. You need hot metal and water. So I’d argue that I’m very serious about it but I’ve gone to lengths to remove the pretending factor and instead try to put you in a situation where you’re not role playing any longer but rather exist in the role even if you start talking about pop corn or Mickey Mouse.

• Like 1

Why? Just find friends that want to RP and go do it. Are you looking for someone to keep you in line? Serious RPers don't need someone to monitor their behavior.

• Like 1

He also has leadership on events using game moderators so why not a roleplay administrator? 

Why don't you start a RP village/alliance and be the leadership?

You don't need a GM for that.

What Rolf was saying is that by playing the game, we are all roleplaying to some degree. We just aren't talking 'in character' the whole time. (Although whose to say we aren't in character and just goofing around? :P)

Edited by Ruxin

Why? Just find friends that want to RP and go do it. Are you looking for someone to keep you in line? Serious RPers don't need someone to monitor their behavior.

>.< That's not the point. 

I've done it with friends. It'd be nice if there were a wider community doing it - promoting it by yourself isn't going to interest anyone unless there's some sort of organised guidance. 

Nvm >.> forget I mentioned it so much passive-aggressiveness lol 

Per Rolf on roleplaying

"...but I’ve gone to lengths to remove the pretending factor and instead try to put you in a situation where you’re not role playing any longer but rather exist in the role even if you start talking about pop corn or Mickey Mouse."

Exactly. Everyone's already roleplaying anyway. It's not like any of us are master level skilled smiths or carpenters in real life.

I didn't mean roleplaying in the sense of just roleplaying a certain trade. Roleplay means to create a story with each other, not just to act like a type of person with a specific trade.

- Social structure, i.e. who reports to who

- Family structure including companionship ceremonies and internal feuds

- Political structure, such as laws, judges and courts (taking advantage of the democracy/autocracy options on settlement token)

Etc! 

Think outside the box. You're all deep inside the box right now, and so is Rolf's statement

There was this http://roleplaywurm.enjin.com/home

It had some success in few months but died for certain reason which all involved knows that.

I think i have been in 2 attempts to get the RP thing really going on wurm.

It really can be done if just start and do it right at the very start.

I am really interested to hop in again and give some valuable info and of course to have fun if anyone interested enough.

Oh and that papyrys is one excellent way to rp and leave messages to other peoples door for example.

Anything is pretty much doable RP wise in wurm. Would be awesome though if Rolf could add some few tools for roleplayers

which really much would benefit whole community im sure :)

I stare into the fiery eyes of the Red Dragon. The formidable opponent sends a shiver of fear through my spine. Yet without any hesitation I take off my toolbelt. My drake pants sag down, my Seryll longsword becomes exposed. Minutes into the encounter I thrust my longsword into the Dragon. The dragon whips its tail as if accepting the final blow. Both bodies collapse, exhausted from the encounter yet only one will leave when they wake.

Edited by Melros
  • Like 7

Why does it need a new server? People are going to go there and not RP anyway.

It isn't like you can ban people for not RP'ing.

An alliance or even just a single deed can already RP. It's been done before.

If there would be RP server, banning or perma-expelling for not RP'ing should be something expected and normal.

- Social structure, i.e. who reports to who CHAOS

- Family structure including companionship ceremonies and internal feuds You clearly haven't gotten that involved in the community, there are a LOT of feuds

- Political structure, such as laws, judges and courts (taking advantage of the democracy/autocracy options on settlement token) CHAOS

• Like 1

well, since im insane from living on my island for years now,  other day i was roleplaying, my main was the king, my  vyn was the slave and had a good ole show!  Even made a kings room and soon, a..... Prison! mwhahahahaha! now shh, i didnt say nuffin.

• Like 2

If there would be RP server, banning or perma-expelling for not RP'ing should be something expected and normal.

You cannot expect GM's to get involved in every case of someone not RP'ing properly and then banning them or removing them from the server, where they may have made a deed etc.

That is NEVER gonna happen.

Players can already do this...

Join Chaos -> Form a deed/PMK -> You can now kick/kill/whatever people who do not participate correctly and you have a thriving RP community with a king, and a whole bunch of other official titles etc.

The features are all there, it just needs people to make it work.

Edited by Ruxin