Sign in to follow this  
silakka

No Free Perimeter

Perimeter shouldnt come for free. Everyone should be able to decide whether to take it or not.

1. It makes combining two of your deeds close together a useless pita.

2. You didnt rly want it but got it anyway. Someone starts cutting trees in ur perimeter and u make useless threads/support tickets wasting everyone's time (not directed at anybody)

3. Perimeter gives no prorection, only hassle.. Rarely it serves any good purpose, it's the annoying grey area. We should be able to take all the security with our deeds or leave out with zero.

4. Those who would decide to purchase it, they wouldnt be able to argue or complain as much, it's very bad when it upsets people and wastes staff time. But when one decides to 'reserve' the land by own choice, then they also agree to the risks that come with it.

Give us the freedom to choose

• Like 7

+1

Wurm is about customizational freedoms.  Would be nice to specify a 0 perimeter in those cases where you want multiple deeds adjoined to each other.  Let us resize perimeters in a single direction while we're at it.. oh, and reposition the token freely.

Edited by Nomadikhan

I think it's main purpose these days is to stop people running a chain of deeds right next to each other to effectively block access against potentially huge swathes of land. If there's a minimum perimeter space that can't be protected via a deed someone can always get through if they want to enough even if it's walled up.

I don't like it either but I can understand the reasoning.

• Like 1

-1 also stops people just dropping a building right on the deed edge, its for that main reason i like the 5 tile perimeter, as well as its free the 5 tiles don't cost anything so i don't know why people would want it gone.

not sure if i should say yes or no, but it always bugged me that it's 5!! tiles of perimeter for protection, but no one needs 5 tiles to protect passage through deeds...im not exactly sure how the perimeter is even helping, since fences can be build by anyone on it to block passage (the deed itself is not blocking anything) and regarding housebuilding, we already have a restriction that there must be 1 tile space between houses.

Something should be changed about Perimeter.

Perimeter is required, or people will use deeds to either grief other players or claim vast tracts of land inside a ring of deeded land created by long, narrow deeds.

Perhaps 5 tiles isn't necessary, but I would say that a minimum of two tiles is, so there would be a minimum of four tiles between deeds, allowing people to create roads between deeds.

Whatever happened to "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? LOL

Not trolling, just wondering how it happens so often in wurm that gifts are not that easily accepted.

+1 though for being able to decide to *not* have a perimeter at all. In some cases that would help a ton.

It should be optional but not altered from the 5 free. IE you should be able to pick if you want 0-5.

Perimeter is required, or people will use deeds to either grief other players or claim vast tracts of land inside a ring of deeded land created by long, narrow deeds.

This is why, people.

Not to mention, its much more cost effective to throw down multiple 1s upkeep deeds than to throw down 1 deed that equals the size of the smaller deeds combined. If Rolf+team got rid of perimeters, I'd ditch all my large deeds and go with a crapton of 1s upkeeps and save myself half of the upkeep costs that I currently have while still claiming the same amount of land. Of course, as Farmerbob explained, most would utilize this to get the biggest "bang for their buck" and claim a patch of land that's not paid for in the center.

It will never happen and like others have said you can claim a very large inner track of public land with only four 1s deeds if it was not for the free 5 tiles. 

Edited by Kegan

With no perimeter you would still have to have one tile between deeds so that ownership of the outside wall or fence on the deed can be determined without confusion.

Perimeters are supposedly also used to give those on low reputation or KOS a warning space so that they may leave the area, but on Indy I have seen guards arrive if KOS person steps on first perimeter tile , and they give chase many tiles off deed/perimeter. It would appear that the game mechanic for perimeters is broken or not understood.

There was a discussion last year about highway rules and game mechanics and a few good suggestions. With this proposed removal of perimeters the Highway Rules may have to be looked at. If a simple one tile road protection mechanic could be devised that needed little or no GM intervention that would be an improvement.

Edited by zorako
  • Like 1

No. no no

The amount of support calls will increase since you will give people a new tool to harras others. lets make a 1s deed right next to someone you dont like

I think it's main purpose these days is to stop people running a chain of deeds right next to each other to effectively block access against potentially huge swathes of land. If there's a minimum perimeter space that can't be protected via a deed someone can always get through if they want to enough even if it's walled up.

I don't like it either but I can understand the reasoning.

Nope, doesn't help stop that.

You can build a longhouse between the deeds which cannot be destroyed, assuming the deeds are in alliance and you have build permissions in both deeds afaik.

No. no no

The amount of support calls will increase since you will give people a new tool to harras others. lets make a 1s deed right next to someone you dont like

Deeds cost 4.21s minimum to place and you can already build them right beside 'people you dont like'.

prem acts as a buffer zone, without it chaos would  ensu, be happy its there, it blocks alot of griefing, however,  we should have more control over wat can happen inside it, IE options to stop diggers, mining, choping down trees, stop fences but anything built in it will still decay

• Like 1

yes to reduction of the 5-tile perimeters

no to 0-tile perimeters

Allowing 0 tile perimeters would cause issues with the ownership of walls sitting on common deed borders.

It would also allow people to fully enclose areas they don't pay for and still have effectively full protection for it (example: 4 narrow deeds aligned as the sides of a square with a huge undeeded center.  nobody will be able to get into the undeeded part if the deeds are walled).  

Edited by Anothernoob

+1

Keep it free but make it optional.  The only purpose these tiles have is to prevent walling someone in, and lets be honest, that would be clear and easily resolved griefing.

Not quite sure how I feel about this, simply because it would have far reaching ramifications.

Whilst I don't like not being able to get rid of or decline the perimeter, the cure may be worse than the disease.

It has the potential to be just as abused as the current perimeter is now. May be best to simply give limited permissions to perim. no dig, no mine, etc.

-1   --- (gonna be productive and mention why) ---- I think we would be better off just giving partial permissions for the perimeter. Maybe something like cannot lower beyond a certain slope unless on the deed permissions, can't plan buildings or fences, no paving, etc.

Edited by Elen

wurm has a lot of space, and those who got the money to do silly combinations with deeds to ' block out' others, they can pretty much already do it with enough silvers.

I think this opens more doors than it closes.

Its always good to have an open debate :)  I like the idea, but understand it would have drawbacks.  The current 5 free also has drawbacks.

What if it was limited to 1 off deed tile as a buffer.  Say you decided to decline the free perimeter, but you were not allowed to directly touch another deed (as stated above) where fences would be on both deeds.

A 1 tile non deeded buffer would still allow building, but road builders would not be able to terraform without both deed permissions.

A 2 tile (one each) perimeter buffer between deeds might be a compromise.  It would lessen the repairs needed on long houses.