Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

Medieval Engineers

I'm wondering if any Wurmians have tried Medieval Engineers yet? If so what do you think?

I haven't jumped on yet because they still haven't taken Space Engineers out of early access yet, it worries me that this could be another game in perma-early access. Looks pretty good anyway.

It's still months away from being a playable game rather than the demo it is now, I'll put it that way.

• Like 1

From what I saw it'll be singe player?  If so I doubt I'll try it... no fun in building giant castles if I am the only one there....

From what I saw it'll be singe player?  If so I doubt I'll try it... no fun in building giant castles if I am the only one there....

It's both single and multiplayer. You can even open your private worlds to other people.

Space Engineers even though still in Early Access is very fun and worth buying - I'll probably get Medieval Engineers eventually too.

Edited by Samool

huh, on Steam it's listed as a Single Player game... no mention of a multiplayer.

I'll keep an eye on this then, but it needs a lot more finished before I'll try it.

I'm wondering if any Wurmians have tried Medieval Engineers yet? If so what do you think?

I haven't jumped on yet because they still haven't taken Space Engineers out of early access yet, it worries me that this could be another game in perma-early access. Looks pretty good anyway.

Space engineers Is almost done now. As-well just because a development studio launchs another game, Doesn't necessarily mean that omg there ditching the other games!!!! It's just that they had another game idea in mind and they did it since they had the resources to do so.

huh, on Steam it's listed as a Single Player game... no mention of a multiplayer.

I'll keep an eye on this then, but it needs a lot more finished before I'll try it.

Well actually, I've just found that it's only singleplayer atm. Got it messed with SE. But it'll be multiplayer soon for sure.

I hope they give you the option to tone down the physics when survival multiplayer is added.

Imagine mining all that stone and then having a large structure collapse because you misplaced one block. In single player its not a big deal cause you can reload your last save. But in MP that wouldn't work.

I hope they give you the option to tone down the physics when survival multiplayer is added.

Imagine mining all that stone and then having a large structure collapse because you misplaced one block. In single player its not a big deal cause you can reload your last save. But in MP that wouldn't work.

That's why you don't design it so that a a building's structural integrity relies on a single block :P

I really like the idea of both those game, but I can never totally get behind them as don't have the massive persistent server wurm has.

Yes, you can have a server and people can join but it's just not the same.

In the end I guess I feel the same way about minecraft as well.

They are a really good company with lots of really good ideas and they release updates so much.

Tbh, I really wish I was content on just building stuff, but something just doesn't keep me.

• Like 1

I've been poking at SE for about a year and ME for about a month.

ME is in early alpha in every sense of the word, most of the features are not implemented so I'd strongly recommend you take a pass unless you have a strong desire to help them debug and suggest changes (they do listen to suggestions).  If you're looking for fun then it's way too early.

SE is in late alpha and should hit feature complete and move to Beta in the next few months.  It's pretty fun but there are still some things missing for single player (e.g. opponent AI) and multiplayer (e.g. scaling and stability).  It does have a very active modding community and a decent modding API but it's still largely in the new block and skinning stages.  There are two semi-overhaul mods in development but I wouldn't expect full overhaul mods to really hit their stride for another 6 to 12 months. 

Ultimately I doubt either will support the first M in MMO but they should both scale to 50 or so concurrent users and if they straighten out the threading in their netcode might get higher.

• Like 1