Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Time for Gardening

Its getting close to that time of year, the hops are poking thier heads through the ground, wild onions are starting to raise up from thier winter nap and the willows are starting to bloom. Still too cold in the mornings to start putting stuff out , but its time to get those seeds sprouting.

Im putting in 2 new varieties of hops, low AA for a good summer ale this year as well as

Heirloom tomatos

Heirloom taters -they are black

Red potatos

giant pumpkins

yellow squash

Eggplant

Onions - White

Onions - Red

Red Cabbage

Water Melons

Cantalope

carrots

garlic

basil

thyme

oregano

Poblano

Habenero

Anahiems

jalapenos

Yeah, a little heavy on peppers, but we dry them and use them in our own dry rubs. Great to use on any meat that your going to smoke. Really enhances the smoke flavors.

I also got some new thornless varieties of blackberry bushes, be nice to see those going. Currently I have about 300 blackberry bushes and its a "bloody" process to harvest. So these new varieties will be a welcome addition.

With the cold hanging around longer this year the hops are going to be spectacular. Should have a great harvest and lots of homebrew this year to go with the new smoker I got. mmm its going to be a tasty summer and fall.

I also found a really large area of wild blueberries (huckleberries) during one of the walks back up in the mountains and am going to plant a few of those. They grow really well here and have a very different taste than blueberries you get a the store.

Anyone else planning out their gardens yet?

The New Hop Beds

oyqJ8Qa.jpg

In about a month itll look like this

vfO3ZiF.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 9

Let's see... time for gardening...

Pics taken about 5 minutes ago out my back window.

2vun2vt.png

And let's check out my garden area...

2s0ntw0.png

Yep. I'll get right on that. ;)

This has been the worst that I can remember in almost 40 years. Absolutely brutal and never-ending cold and snow.

I very much look forward to the spring thaw when it finally comes, and growing and wild green nommables.

Wintercress and Wild Garlic are only a few months away!!! :)

And dandelions. Om nom nom.

• Like 2

wow, where you at? We have mostly escaped a lot of the snow, its just been brutally cold for our area. Normally I have stuff in the ground by end of Feb, cant do that this year, maybe end of this month. Its near 50 atm and feels like the tropics, lol, but supposed to snow thursday.

Edited by sunsvortex

Hotter peppers are always coming up. People live to burn their tongues off

Love gardening! It's something I used to do together with my mom in summer. Since I moved away from the homeland last I've been keeping a blog for my family to check what I'm up to at http://alyeskagarden.tumblr.com/ Been keeping pictures for the past year but that's way too much to post in here!

The growing spaces are 4  4x8' wooden boxes filled with soil, a small greenhouse with some pots in it and a bunch of pots around the rest of the yard. Box 1 & 2 are pretty much empty atm since it's all seeds or waiting for the last touch of frost to go. 3&4 are great. I'm planning on purchasing some old watering troughs at the tractor supply to give a good space to plant a few more crops in. It's not huge but it's enough to keep me entertained :)

The climate here allows to grow year round; right now we got sugarsnap peas and radishes that are ripe. Also red and yellow potatoes, and I'm awaiting seedlings for a type called "masquerade", a purple and yellow potato.

Planned/seeded/growing atm (this list is bigger than I thought it'd be, dang)

Red chili peppers

Habeneros

Sweet banana peppers

Bellpeppers

Carrots

Radishes

Red potatoes

Yellow potatoes

Purple potatoes

Romanesco brocoli (theyre beautiful, google them!)

Cucumbers

Pickle cucumbers

Squash

Zuchini

Kale

Dutch cabbage

Lettuce

Pak Choi

Beef tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes

Pear tomatoes

Roma tomatoes

Sugarsnap peas

Leeks

Onions

Catnip (for tea and for the cats)

Chamomille (for tea)

Strawberries

Herbs! (oregano, chives, basil, rosemary, peppermint, sage, cilantro,)

And of course our trees and bushes, Lemons, Oranges, Grapefruits, Raspberries and Blackberries.

A variety of flowers to help the bee population in pots throughout the garden

Two patches of carrots are growing and I just seeded some cold crops like cabbage and brocoli. In a couple weeks the hotter plants like cucumbers and watermelon can go out :) I got some peppers but darn, that superhot stuff is just way too much for me, heh. Habaneros is plenty spicy for me!

Sugarsnap peas on the vine:

snap%20peas.png

"box 3" grows radishes, yellow potatoes, squash and snap peas

box%203.png

"box 4" has red potatoes, cabbage, and two carrot patches planted at different times

box%204.png

Radishes are a super fast growing hybrid called "rover"

radishes%20ripe.png

The patch of radishes, you can see the red bulge at the root

radishes.png

The carrot patch

carrots.png

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

Not much gardening to do in this part of Nevada.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/nevada-desert-frank-wilson.jpg

Hell, they had to damn up an entire river and divert it to keep Vegas watered. They stopped using the original founding springs and wells in the 60s or something.

I suppose Aloa plants are kinda doable or some other drought resistant plant. One that like high temps and long daylight.

Anyways, aye being from Western Oregon, gardening is great and can be cheaper if you know what you are doing. Same for wood heat.

Edited by Klaa

Damn Nice Alyeska.

I can do some winter stuff, but definitely not a year round thing without a heated greenhouse, and no citrus either. Eastern TN up in the mountains.

Just got back from visiting some friends and the orders have rolled in, lol. Now I have to add Cushaw and spaghetti squash along with yellow taters, elephant garlic, cucumber, and zucchini

And perhaps some really  really mildly acidic tomato variety.

Normally I dont do raised beds but I probably should to save on weeding.

You have a nice setup going. Bit envious not being able to run year round.

Not much gardening to do in this part of Nevada.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/nevada-desert-frank-wilson.jpg

Hell, they had to damn up an entire river and divert it to keep Vegas watered. They stopped using the original founding springs and wells in the 60s or something.

I suppose Aloa plants are kinda doable or some other drought resistant plant. One that like high temps and long daylight.

Anyways, aye being from Western Oregon, gardening is great and can be cheaper if you know what you are doing. Same for wood heat.

Eggplants do wonderful in really long, hot days. They originate from Egypt, if I'm not mistaken. They did great here in southern Texas for me!

tumblr_nfky9fZPn61te7187o6_1280.jpg

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

Eggplants do wonderful in really long, hot days. They originate from Egypt, if I'm not mistaken. They did great here in southern Texas for me!

tumblr_nfky9fZPn61te7187o6_1280.jpg

Nice idea except I hate eggplants.

EDIT: Everything else is good, especially tomatoes and peppers. Unfortunately tomatoes, while loving sunlight and warmth, are not crazy about the extremes in Nevada and prefer to be well-watered. There are those in Oregon who like to use tires as planters which trap and save water (not to mention help to keep soil warm in colder climates); though, Ive also heard concerns about such practices in terms of chemicals.

Overall I probably could account for most of the issues in Nevada, providing water and shade are the two biggies.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1