Sign in to follow this  
JirkaSoukup

Archery

Hello. 

I like this game very much, even I play it actively more than one year I always find new possibilities. But the archery here is nonsense. I stay on roof of house, the roof is not fenced, and I can't shoot on the mob one tile far from me? It is higher than me because of rock, but I get message "The wooden double door is in the way." I know, that Wurm is 2D in fact, but this should be corrected somehow (for example by comparing the altitude of archer, wall top, and target), it is very unreal and archery is only chance for weak lonely player to kill the mob. Other nonsense is - I stay in wooden plank fenced area and I cant shoot at mob behind this fence. It is very unreal as well, consider the look of wooden plank fence and imagine, that you cant shoot big mob hidden behind it. :-)

I think that this everything could be corrected by quite easy way adding this condition:

if altitude of archer eye and altitude of target middle point are higher than fence or wall top altitude, than the wall or fence are not obstacle and arrow could be fired.

• Like 2

We've been asking for this for around 3 years now.. It's been like that since Multistorey housing was first released.   Everyone was excited with parapets because, well, that's what parapets are for... and nope, can't shoot over them.

The same issues apply to catapults, to my knowledge we still cannot fire catapults from housing.  Those longhouses designed to look liked a castle rampart are all but useless for archery and catapults.

Would love to see this fixed... it's about damn time eh?

Edited by Nomadikhan

Just hoping the implementation of bridges will allow for other features like this to be added somewhat quickly in the future.

It is (or used to be) possible to shoot over low fences and through windows but I think that it was removed from the PVE servers to avoid griefing. PVP servers probably still have it but you get no skill for shooting over fences.

As for archery and newbies.. it isn't always the best idea as you need a high ql bow and mid ql arrows to have any chance to kill something and not see your arrows glancing off (or even breaking on) your targets. If you are going to use the fence as your only protection you may need to use  a short bow which is even weaker and you need it to be of even higher ql. If you have these two and you learn how far you should stay so that the target doesn't aggro you then it works well(unless you want to kill scorps and crocs or you are in a mine).

PS. Parapets are broken on both PVP and PVE servers afaik.

Edited by Anothernoob

+1  Archery needs reworking for PvE at the very least.  It's utterly insane that a 20QL longsword (easy to make) is much more useful than a 20QL bow with 20QL arrows (a bugger since you have to imp EVERY arrow and they have finite uses!).