Sign in to follow this  
AlphaMaleAD

Archery on Epic [Longbow, skill range limit]

I am shooting using a longbow on 3 targets, using shafts.

Archer [38]

Longbow skill (13)

No obstructions (Walls, water)

Range limit on longbow (Targets are twenty tiles away)

Three different targets ( Pig, Hell Horse, Troll)

All experiments are made using arrow shafts.

Skill gain == 0 ticks for longbow or archery.

Is there something that I am missing with regards to training the longbow skill?

At that level you need to use the shafts on an archery target (until you get 40 archery), or use actual arrows on the animals.  Shafts shouldn't be giving skill when shooting actual things to prevent abusing the low damage output for skill, which is likely why you see no gains

• Like 1

Tested using regular hunting arrows on a bear target. I can confirm archery skill ticks, but I have killed 3 brown bears (non champion) without a longbow skill tick. Is this just poor luck? The longbow itself is not even taking damage.

I can gain longbow skill shooting shafts at the practice target, but not hunting arrows at a live target is essentially where I am at right now.

Bows do not take damage when shooting with them.

Thanks, good to know! I just wanted to post as much information as I could so that I could get the best feedback.  :)

I can gain longbow skill shooting shafts at the practice target, but not hunting arrows at a live target is essentially where I am at right now.

It's likely because your longbow skill is low, so it will take a little bit to kick off

• Like 1

You can take any bow type to 30 and archery to 40 on a archery target using shafts. You will likely get 30 longbow before you get 40 archery so, I suggest using a short bow to 30, then get what ever you can in longbow until you hit 40 archery. Then use a longbow to get to 50-70-90 archery. this will give you decent enough short bow for the times you are to close to use a longbow.

low quality bow with high circle of cunning is preferable if you have access to that.

A bow will only take damage when taking attacks/attacking with it in melee combat.

• Like 1

Why is the low quality bow considered preferable? Is the quality going to low the damage -> allow for more skill ticks. OR will the quality lower the accuracy and therefore make it more difficult of a shot for higher skill ticks?

aye after using a prac target, the gain is tied to potential damage.

will the quality lower the accuracy and therefore make it more difficult of a shot for higher skill ticks? Yes. and with Circle of cunning which increases skill gain, will even further it.

pretty much the same thing with shield training. less likely to block, so when you do you always get it a tick. or something along those lines.

Edited by Aetherion

Oh damn good to know, thanks atherion, I always thought bows worked like melee weapons skilltick wise. Time to enchant some low ql bows.

How about bow string QL and arrow QL?

I used a 90+ql bow to get 99+ archery.  Skill is damage based like melee weapons

• Like 1

I meant just low ql bow on the target

then hq bow with coc and nimbleness from 40-90 

• Like 1

At that level you need to use the shafts on an archery target (until you get 40 archery), or use actual arrows on the animals.  Shafts shouldn't be giving skill when shooting actual things to prevent abusing the low damage output for skill, which is likely why you see no gains

You definitely wanna Archery Target! You can use it till 40 Archery which is roughly 25 non-effective Longbow then move to animals with real arrows. 

What I generally  do is shoot around 41 (or what ever max quiver is) arrow shafts into a target then once I recover my arrows I also repair the target because it can poof. 

Upon hitting 40 Archery with 70+ Fighting I started shooting spiders, mountain lions, etc at first then moved up to Champion Trolls, Valrei Creatures, and Lava Spiders. 

Hope that helps =)

For all bows, the farther away you are from your target, the more skillgain you'll get, but the less you'll hit the target.  Higher difficulty + max damage is what you want to aim for (at least, from my experience.)

That's for grinding archery after 40 or so, or the bow skills after 20 or w/e.