Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

Catapulting Overhaul

It needs to be looked at, everything about it.

Winching

• It's unintuitive. It beckons for carpal tunnel whether you use the select bar or not.
  • There is no easy way to just select the number of winches you want. A new window where you could input the number of winches you wanted would fit this perfectly and require little to no effort.
  • There is no way to tell what you already have winched if for some reason you had to go AFK or simply forgot in a late night raiding sesh. Adding something to examine to show many winches it has currently winched would be helpful.

Shooting

For picture two, it basically shows the only way to hit anything on the interior is to winch 50, or move back and continuously winch 50. Its impossible otherwise without removing the dirtwall. It also demonstrates that sometimes you need to remove the longhouse to proceed, and then in some cases it is impossible because there is one, two, maybe three walls you cannot hit on a higher story because winching one, two, three, hell even five through ten won't hit that one story. I'd also like to mention that the blue line in example 2 is impossible, that's just what would happen ideally with an arc system.

Feedback

• You should be told what wall you hit, clearly. e.x. "Your shot collides with the Plain Stone Wall on the building "Propheteer's Stronghold".
  • It should tell you if you are hitting a floor of a roof, not just "You hit Propheteer's Stronghold".
  • It should tell you if you are hitting multiple walls, not just "You hit Propheteer's Stronghold".
  • It should tell you if you are hitting a wall plan or group of wall plans, not just "You hit Propheteer's Stronghold".

Preventative Measures for Alt Abuse

• Add a system similar to Cart Management, and limit it by kingdom so only kingdom members could unload/winch/load/unwinch. (Catapulters should be dragging to prevent theft, and it needs to be movable.) As long as it remains mobile via dragging, you could allow it to be kingdom switched by loading it and unloading it into a wagon. But this is pretty important, its annoying to see others use alts to constantly unwinch your catapult.

I know i have forgotten many things in this, and it was a bit hurried but I feel I hit most of the big things, write below if I forgot something and i'll add it.

I also want to say to those that feel its making it too easy, the goal that im trying to reach here is making deed assault easy enough where people are encouraged to assault a deed. While assaulting a deed should be harder than creation, it shouldn't be so much harder that you can be fended off by unskilled alts simply because the terrain around the deed is too hard to work with. Small "outpost" or "war" deeds should not require the same amount of effort as someones Capitol. At the same time, building 9 story houses with nothing but wooden floors shouldn't constitute as a defense.

To those who would like to test, try things with multiple story buildings, alternating slopes on the inside and outside of deeds. A formula to assist you with testing it should be  w = d + ( wh - ch )/55 rounded down, where w = winches, d = distance, wh = wall height, ch = cata height.

Another alternative would be to simply just add a visible marker to show where your shot is going to land and the path it will take, as zeke has posted below because sometimes its better to abandon a shitty system and start over as opposed to applying a bandaid to a shitty system.

Fun to PvP = More PvP

Thoughts?

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 11

While the things mentioned above is what id consider "a quick easy fix" and desirable...

This is what I'd truly desire.

http://youtu.be/hRpw7YjeKVE?t=4m44s

http://youtu.be/hRpw7YjeKVE?t=2m7s

Load cata.

*Embark/Use* whatever action u wanna call it rolf.

Gives a tracer showing the path it will fly.

Allows you to quickly use the mouse to relocate the path.

then use again to fire.

Codewise?

Loading works just like before. (and additional people can assist with this while another person does the shooting)

Embark/use disables dragging and focuses the playerview from the catas point of view.

Tracers are shown 100% client sided.

Left drag = alter firing path.

Upon pressing use again the client sends info regarding what angle and strength it wants the catapult to fire.

then the server sends info to all players that the catapult is being fired and thus shows it turning and the firing sequence including the shoot flying off as usual.

The visuaal shooting path of projectiles is already coded, borrow some code.

In short I'd like a properly developed feature that is fun to use... comparable to the annoying catapult system we got atm.

In other words: Make it FUN to use.

FUN pvp = LOTS of pvp

Rolf your catapult system isnt fun. Players play games to have fun.

edit:

Btw there is a *cough* bug *cough* with catapults. We cant use animals to drag them...

A small four wheel catapult designed to be dragged by one person or animal. It could be used to hurl items at walls and fences.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 5

+1, it's a horrendous system. And it's not just useful for PvP either, catas are essential on PvE too for various bits of demolition.

• Like 1

While the things mentioned above is what id consider "a quick easy fix" and desirable...

This is what I'd truly desire.

http://youtu.be/hRpw7YjeKVE?t=4m44s

Load cata.

*Embark/Use* whatever action u wanna call it rolf.

Gives a tracer showing the path it will fly.

Allows you to quickly use the mouse to relocate the path.

then use again to fire.

Codewise?

Loading works just like before. (and additional people can assist with thise while another person does the shooting)

Embark/use disables dragging and focuses the playerview from the catas point of view.

Tracers are shown 100% client sided.

Left drag = alter firing path.

Upon pressing use again the client sends info regarding what angle and strength it wants the catapult to fire.

then the server sends info to all players that the catapult is being fired and thus shows it turning and the firing sequence including the shoot flying off as usual.

The visuaal shooting path of projectiles is already coded, borrow some code.

In short I'd like a properly developed feature that is fun to use... comparable to the annoying catapult system we got atm.

In other words: Make it FUN to use.

FUN pvp = LOTS of pvp

Rolf your catapult system isnt fun. Players play games to have fun.

edit:

Btw there is a *cough* bug *cough* with catapults. We cant use animals to drag them...

A small four wheel catapult designed to be dragged by one person or animal. It could be used to hurl items at walls and fences.

Catapulting messages do need clairification definitely.

I prefer how the terrain can affect winches, but at present it means winches can be capped making some catapulting impossible. I don't like how dirt walls can 'cover' the inside buildings.

• Like 1

Keybinds at the very least would be great, and possibly the easiest immediate fix.

However, the need to destroy obstructing structures when firing in flatter trajectories should be kept.

The ease in attaining flatter trajectories or getting a lobbed shot can be the characteristic of individual siege machines.: ballista versus a trebuchet for example.

Edited by Klaa

Two main things I would like adjusted concerning catapults.

1. Shorten their minimum range to 5 tiles. Many times there is not enough space to set one up 10 tiles (+1) away from stone walls, etc.

2. Make them shoot up and down inclines with the same range necessary as on flat land. It used to be this way years back.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

If catapults showed a trajectory of where the shot will fall after winching, that would be marvellous.