Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

Net Neutrality Will Be The Rule In The USA

Why do they need a 250+ page bill to say " you can't limit connections"

There is something fishy here, and I don't like it.

• Like 1

My guess would be because we Americans are a lawsuit crazed Juggernaut of legal loophole destruction. LOL This is apparent simply by looking at how many laws are made out of "Thou shalt not kill." I guess they have grown to feel the need to head off any legal wrangling at the pass by trying to second guess the impending legal injunctions and other political nonsense. By Monday morning, we will be reading about any number of judges signing some kind of complaint, injunction, or appeal and it will be shelved for months, years, or forever and probably never make it to active law.

• Like 1

My feeling is that there's a lot of stuff hidden they're not telling us about.

• Like 2

You live in a country with the likes of the patriot act and you worry about this. LOL

• Like 1

You live in a country with the likes of the patriot act and you worry about this. LOL

Not to mention our ACA (Obamacare) which is literally 10,000 pages and growing which nobody bothered to read before passing and some for it said we have to pass it to see what's in it.  

[ I can't decide if I should mark this with a lol or sad face ]  :wacko:

Giving government control over the internet, which was not considered a utility.

This is bad.

Doesn't matter though its illegal.

The FCC cannot actually rewrite laws and doctrine to give themselves access over the internet, which is not covered under FCC jurisdiction. Congress is the only entity that is allowed to change law and declare that the internet is a public utility in control of the FCC. Expect many lawsuits to follow.

Edited by FranktheTank

I can't laugh. The Conservative Government of Canada has been trying to force a similar bill down our throats for the past year.

The Patriot Act is hilarious, until it shows up on your doorstep...

Giving government control over the internet, which was not considered a utility.

This is bad.

Doesn't matter though its illegal.

The FCC cannot actually rewrite laws and doctrine to give themselves access over the internet, which is not covered under FCC jurisdiction. Congress is the only entity that is allowed to change law and declare that the internet is a public utility in control of the FCC. Expect many lawsuits to follow.

Though I agree Congress should have handled this, I think they would have mucked it up a lot more than the FCC would on its own. I'm sure they would find some way to tax it, censor it more than they already do, or enact some kind of kill switch for anything they want to control the use of.

But it's not really a bad thing. It's quite the opposite effect if they do it as it is intended (yes, I am laughing at myself for even saying that). What this is supposed to do is make sure, let's use Wurm for example, that CC pays for a lower tier hosting package than InterwebVideos (you all know who I mean here) and InterwebVideos is having a grand day of streaming stuff to their masses of clients and they overrun their bandwidth a bit. Their common host says, "Interwebs pays a lot more than CC so we will just throttle down CC and boost up Interwebs for a while." This get really sluggish on Wurm because packets are being done whatever they do to slowed down packets to make room in the pipes for Interwebs. This is supposed to insure that this is no longer legal, that CC cannot have their connection nerfed below what they pay for to make room for someone who pays more and overruns their allotment. In theory, it's a good thing (for many people because I'm sure the InterwebVideo people are not going to be happy when they have to actually buy more pipe room).

The name is off a bit. It should be called an anti-throttling law. This makes it sound like it's politically wrapped in that the net is to be neural in a non-polarized political sense, not that it's supposed to not rob Peter to pay Paul because Paul pays more than Peter does and so Peter can do without what they pay for a bit.

• Like 1

Nothing should change ever and new things should always be ignored forever. Don't acknowledge known issues affecting your country and NEVER attempt to make progress.

Nothing should change ever and new things should always be ignored forever. Don't acknowledge known issues affecting your country and NEVER attempt to make progress.

It's not that we fear change, it is that we fear the changers and their giant ball of red tape they usually try to 'fix' things with.

Better than living in countries where all your allowed to own to defend yourself with is a butter knife.

Though I agree Congress should have handled this, I think they would have mucked it up a lot more than the FCC would on its own. I'm sure they would find some way to tax it, censor it more than they already do, or enact some kind of kill switch for anything they want to control the use of.

But it's not really a bad thing. It's quite the opposite effect if they do it as it is intended (yes, I am laughing at myself for even saying that). What this is supposed to do is make sure, let's use Wurm for example, that CC pays for a lower tier hosting package than InterwebVideos (you all know who I mean here) and InterwebVideos is having a grand day of streaming stuff to their masses of clients and they overrun their bandwidth a bit. Their common host says, "Interwebs pays a lot more than CC so we will just throttle down CC and boost up Interwebs for a while." This get really sluggish on Wurm because packets are being done whatever they do to slowed down packets to make room in the pipes for Interwebs. This is supposed to insure that this is no longer legal, that CC cannot have their connection nerfed below what they pay for to make room for someone who pays more and overruns their allotment. In theory, it's a good thing (for many people because I'm sure the InterwebVideo people are not going to be happy when they have to actually buy more pipe room).

The name is off a bit. It should be called an anti-throttling law. This makes it sound like it's politically wrapped in that the net is to be neural in a non-polarized political sense, not that it's supposed to not rob Peter to pay Paul because Paul pays more than Peter does and so Peter can do without what they pay for a bit.

I mean yeah  sure, but your missing the point. It is illegal.

Not to mention I really do not like the federal government, specifically an organization within the federal government outside of congress making huge decisions over one of the largest platforms of discussion about human rights, the internet.

Better than living in countries where all your allowed to own to defend yourself with is a butter knife.

Wrong lol, I can legally stand my ground with a firearm or pretty much anything to hand, social policy is what prevents the types of crimes that americans are subjected to. Even the most extreme act that we have inforce (offenses against the state act) has a high level of oversight and is rarely if ever used nowadays and as acts go it's like a sugar plum fairy when compared to the blunt force state terror instrument that is the patriot act.

I mean yeah  sure, but your missing the point. It is illegal.

Not to mention I really do not like the federal government, specifically an organization within the federal government outside of congress making huge decisions over one of the largest platforms of discussion about human rights, the internet.

• Like 1

They write the laws. "Illegal" is just a few ayes away from legal or less if it is the Supreme Court ruling on it.

Besides, Television, Radio, short/longwave radios, pretty much anything that transmits communications via electromagnetic radiation is regulated by the FCC in the United States. Your telephone that runs through cables is. The internet is a transmitted communications medium both through cables and aerial transmission. It's not unprecedented in any way. That the internet is not has always been surprising. I would call it a long-time oversight more than calling it illegal. Someone had a V-8, slapped their forehead, and said, "We forgot this one!"

While your point is valid it is still wrong.

Also requesting the thread be locked as it has now developed into a talk about politics and is about politics to begin with, against forum rules.

Sorry for escalating it.

It's about commerce, but escalate if you must.

While your point is valid it is still wrong.

Also requesting the thread be locked as it has now developed into a talk about politics and is about politics to begin with, against forum rules.

Sorry for escalating it.

I think you need to take another look at those forum rules...

I think you need to take another look at those forum rules...

Clearly I do not know them that well because my forum accs usually get banned.