Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

Well I've read all the posts thus far... and I'd like to provide a PvE player's perspective (as some have already).  I actually love the idea of Epic and Challenge, and actually tried both.  The attraction is obvious for many Freedom players - the increased skill gain.  In addition, I like the tension of a PvP server... the electricity and rush of starting off on an equal playing field with everyone on a new map (ie: what you did with Challenge).  It was fun and motivating.  Hell I never PvP and I took 2 days off of work and played constantly when Round 1 started.  Why didn't I stay?  For me personally as a carebear/PvE focused person, it was two-fold... First, the downer for me was knowing that in only 30 days all of my hard work would disappear... the building, the fortifying, the skills, etc.  Yes, it wasn't so bad because of the increased skill gain... but still.. at the end of the day, it made me want to log back into Pristine and just keep working on my "permanent" deed there.  I need to have some idea of permanence - even if it does run the risk of getting raided once in a while LOL.  Secondly, for me, I need the OPTION of doing both the carebear/deed building, etc thing and going out and killing people/raiding.  Bottom line - I need longevity.  So for me, I love the idea of Epic... always have.  I love the idea of a home server (or maybe a larger server like Xanadu or half the size of Xanadu, etc) where you can establish yourself, get semi-comfortable and build your legacy... and then a contested area (like Elevation or central area like Round 2 of Challenge had).  I think Challenge was a good move towards this, but I simply cannot get motivated to work hard on something when I know it will vanish in 2-4 weeks.  

The kind of PvP environment I would play on long term is probably something like this:

1. A large map (ie: Chaos or slightly larger) or a reset of the existing Epic maps (yes Epic players I know this would really suck - but perhaps some form of reimbursement would make it better).  Again, this gives you that "home base" feel that Epic already has, but a map reset is probably in order - or just a fresh huge server.  It also gives you the ability to strap on some battle gear and head out and PvP when you feel like.

2. Epic skill gain seems sufficient for my personal tastes - or perhaps slightly faster if folks insist (you could go either way with this)

3. Add in those elements you mentioned in your post Rolf (random chests, random resource depot spawns, etc).  Give it some life and variety.

Two things I can say as a Freedom'ite that I think most can agree with:

Having Epic, Challenge and Chaos is seriously PvP overkill.  It's spread way too thin and you just don't have the player base to justify that.  By trying to please everyone and you'll end up pleasing almost no one.

Second - your playerbase is mostly PvE people.  How do you attract PvE players to PvP?  My best guess is doing what you did on Epic, but better.  It's a good concept, but build in more life and activity.  Make it more rewarding for PvE players but still have rewards and excitement of PvP for those that choose to.  

Edited by Kruggan

... epic really doesnt need a xanadu sized map... definetly not.. like without question... its probably the dumbest idea ive heard so far... chaos is tremendous already and i dont even wanna think of a map four times larger than that ontop of the already thinly populated epic islands.. it would turn everything into a ghost town.

Totally agree. If you want to completely kill off Epic, make Xanadu sized.

Edited by solmark

You have a bunch of dual characters playing both freedom and epic on one guy because he advertised as such....

Deleting Epic characters is not and option....merging characters is not an option.....doing either would lose people.

He needs to get more new people in.... not erase older players who have played and are still here.

Remove epic, remove challenge. Focus on PvE and add PvP inside PvE.

Why not:

Merge epic with freedom

Put challenge on hold

Make PvE all PvP and let's call it Wurmageddon? :D

some epic ppl dont wanna play on chaos at all, we love epic and we dont wanna play with the chaos ppl and/or on the chaos server.

We're Epic Carebears not Chaotic Carebears!

1= In my opinion isnt a good proposal,reset the server maps on epic,i dont see that with good eyes ...why? cause we dont have the amount of ppl in elevation to fill the server so BIG also we are about 100 ppl in all servers or a lil more but if you reset ele and make a bigger map it will be a deception,in my opinion...

2 = More skill gain bonus: no thx we are good,in my opinion,but im assuming that we need to have some dificulty in crafting or in body stats,do you want to change something give more alternatives for us to gain body stamina,atleast 1 more,example: cutting trees,mining or digging...

3= reset all home servers,no thx i live in a deed that made me lot of effort to get it and make it,so i dont wanna to loose and start from the scratch,sorry rolf.

4= new masks,tresures,unique items? yes ive been waiting for that for so long,i want a helmet with horns,so im still waiting.

And please i think that is a good way to increase more population to epic and chaos by closing challenge...and all the prizes that you give there give on elevation and chaos server not on home servers,inovate OUR game that is also yours...

thank you!

Ass: Cybrax Epic JKH

• Like 1

I would like a map reset if I could take all my items to freedom. I would like the epic and freedom market the same :) Or maybe just a one way boat trip to the northern border would leave epic and onto freedom. How about 1 pvp server xanadu size. Delete chaos and epic. Have it attached to freedom but with epic skillgain. 

I would also like to be able to build a guard towers on any home server and plant a deed.

nerf sotg 

Ohh yea and how about just 2 kingdoms WL and BL

Edited by DOE

It does not matter what action Rolf takes at this point as no matter what he does now he will lose players, Epic should of been sorted years ago instead of being ignored.

• Like 3

Do not add another map to the cluster, please learn by now spreading people thinner is counter productive.

Remove the armour casting and archery penalty, no one wanted this. At all. Ever.

• Like 15

Remove homeservers :), remove challenge :)

My Main two things:

1.Fix Valrei

2. Do whatever it is that makes it so having large scale pvp doesnt crash everyone and lag horribly. 

edit: Also remove the stupid archery and casting nerf. I enjoy being able to hit something right infront of me instead of having my arrow hit the tile 3 tiles to my left with 90 archery. 

Edited by New_Unsleep
  • Like 6

Think the best is to add more events on Elevation, make people go out more.

Also remove the /who and just add the "epic cluster" as a "server" in the list if thats needed. To easy to see if there is a raid coming on a homeserver or if something is up just by checking the current server pop.

If keeping Hota, make all participants getting a piece of Ada/glimmer whatever as when you kill a dragon etc and get blood. The fact people dont get it by participating just leaves the "old" players trying since it ends up at the capitol of the different alliances.

• Like 1

Rolf start deleting servers: 
Delete all pve servers (yes i have deeds and all but I do not care if all my hardwork is wiped off because I want to play with a better playerbase) and just have 1 pve server and 1 pvp server, both independence or chaos size. Xanadu is too big and unnecessary.Do not go on adding more servers for god's sake. Yeah "Xanadu land rush event" stop thinking about more ways to make money and for once sort these highly underpopulated servers. Delete some for a change.

Edited by Hashirama
  • Like 2

Newer more up to date combat system that appeals to todays PvP players....That will bring in New Players and even old ones who have tried it but moved on because the combat is meh.....  The rest of it is bandaid fixing and will keep the current base happy and/or making alts to do the newest greatest challenge or reward.  If the goal is to just keep shuffling the existing PvP population around to different systems then a lot of these other idea's will do what it usually does a slight boost that fades in a couple months.  If the goal is to attract new players to come play Wurm PvP then updating the combat system, UI, etc..will help a lot.  As it is right now there are not enough PvP players to spread out over Chaos,Epic, and Challenge and the current players will just keep moving to the next event or reward system that comes up.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 2

ok, here is my take on it....

1. New map, much like the one on current challenge server i guess + bigger, that has this so called increased skill gain... no increased skill gain on the home servers or elevation however.

2. keep the current elevation map in the middle.

3. make elevation mainly a map for PMK's OR even keep it how it is based on kingdoms able to dominate the lands and what not. keep this the scenario map.

4. put the new map north of elevation, but allow travel of affliction form the south to arrive north of the new map.

5. add a bigger mor complicated version of hota on the new map. with bigger rewards, more things to do in order to complete the hota.

6. put ada lumps back to how they were, the size to encourage more roaming?  or some kind of random drop system to mobs on the elevation map.

7. IF you add some kind of repo spawn points, make it completely random, and if on a seperate map, make that map non-deedable, but you can build there.

YAY FOR BRIDGES.

on top of those,

8. remove the ability to recharge artifacts.

9. make meditation easier, like it was before, so everyone has an equal chance to get sotg. or atleast a skill tick on every meditation, not a crappy random chance.

10. increase the other lvl 11 meditation path abilities to put them on par with sotg.

11. remove the dmg stack bonus that MR receives from artifacts?

12. allow PMK's to have their own champ slot of 3.

Edited by Horsch

Do not add any more server. Better to try make less servers. Need to gather the ppls thats left.

Remove all home servers on epic now!

• Like 1

... epic really doesnt need a xanadu sized map... definetly not.. like without question... its probably the dumbest idea ive heard so far... chaos is tremendous already and i dont even wanna think of a map four times larger than that ontop of the already thinly populated epic islands.. it would turn everything into a ghost town.

I tho this thread idea was to give ideas not to comment if someone elses idea is bad or good, even if its just your opinion. doesnt help Rolf at all if you just came here to do that

I think you need to re-evaluate all of epic, looking at the base of the game is sandbox, chaos is thriving with there one map no kingdoms model(pmks)

• Xanadu sized PMK server

-break up land masses to make way for bridges and split up land grab(NOT to many mountains :P )

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver

- People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?

-Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect imo.

• Bring back calf shots

-These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons

- Forcing the players to commit, by dropping  down in to it.

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather

-There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed

- maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down. 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic..

These are just a few idea.

Potentially combining Epic and Chaos.

Edit

Cleaned up and bullet pointed.

Remove epic, remove challenge. Focus on PvE and add PvP inside PvE.

remove freedom leave chaos and epic with a little pve thrown.i guess you don't see what this is Rolf wants a pvp game or he wouldn't keep trying to throw it down your throat.

Make effective skill actual skill on epic start everyone out wth 70 fight skill .

remove valrei events or make it so the Terraforming events don't devastate the map hell remove valrei all together.if you don't want to remove it  make it fair give everyone side 2 gods or make fo neutral remove nathan also fix the rng.

remove ada seryl glimmer drake scale make the basic armor worth using not just running out in the same gear all looking like clones.most of it never see the light of day anyway

fix pvp hota is a joke its a numbers game if you want to keep it make it balanced not  just that the ones with the most people will never lose make it actually worth going out to do better rewards.

map resets are fun but skill resets is a whole different ball game and if  i wanted to play on chaos i would already be playing on that server i have skills for freedom and epic on Biggibbo wouldnt like to think i had to lose the skills from either.

speed up meditation skill at least make every action count for skill i went 3 months with out a skill tick balance them sotg is really the only way to go for pvp hate would be good if you kept the extra damage buff 24/7 but not get it till 70 skill

one large map no home servers like in beta  maybe take away kingdoms let us make our own wars but still have priests

if you want to do some thing different with epic then only epic players should have a say on this. i would never force this on a server i dont have an interest in playing on never mind give my 10c on it

Edited by wasntme

problem is Ame, if we don't voice our concerns about other peoples ideas, rolf usually implements an idea that only one person thought was good and everyone else hated

• Like 5

This would be horrible

This.

Fix and balance PvP mechanics with player feedback, but also recognize arguments for stacked odds versus actual balance.

Remove home servers entirely.

A larger Epic map that allows for strategic movement and settlement would be great.

To complement better map design, balance mounts to avoid the current "better horse + better gear = better overall" game; player skill should play more of a part in fleeing and chasing than one's mount and gear.

Introduce an outflow system for rares, dragon armor, moon metal, and other "special" items so they will not last indefinitely and create a barrier for new players (PvP gear only, not tools). A suggestion is to disallow repairing or mending of these items, but let them be improved regardless of damage and remove the effect on quality from damage (ie. 80ql glimmer sword still acts as 80ql regardless of damage).

• Like 1

I totally agree with Hashirama, every word that he has spoke is golden and there is no reason to debate anymore. Bring the changes as he said now!

• Like 2

No to any resets and the skillgain is fine as is

Remove wand of seas and volcano rod from the scenario rewards and fix the 3 bugged wand of seas holes in hota steppe at minimum

• Like 8