Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

So,

there has been suggestions about Elevation receiving a (map) reset for quite a while now. The population on Epic doesn't seem helped by the Challenge servers and Epic is dwindling not fulfilling it's potential.

Please make suggestions on how you think we could change Elevation and possibly the other Epic servers in order to make them more interesting.

A combination of a new Elevation map more like the Dominance map (possibly one size larger?), increasing skillgain on Epic to 1/8th to 1/2 of the Challenge skillgain rate, as well as adding some Challenge prices to Epic Scenarios maybe would revive Epic?

Some version of the central depot spawns and possibly the odd treasure chest on Elevation could be interesting as well.

That said, our next focus is bringing bridges to you!

/Rolf

• Like 6

Too many people on epic with different ideas of what should happen.

Some want full reset, some map reset, some just want nothing to change.

Asking them isn't going to provide any consensus as to what would improve it.

*Edit: See below. Everyone has a different idea. Really though Rolf, just make the decision that is best for the game overall. Imo that requires consolidating servers somehow. Right now, a new player joining Wurm sees 4 epic servers, a challenge server (if its running) and chaos, assuming they wish to PvP. That is spreading the PvP crowd over 5 servers...way too many for the number of active PvPers we have currently. Maybe merge/remove the home servers on epic...that's the only thing I can think of, although have no idea how to do it 'fairly'.

Adding more features to epic - Others feel left out

Resetting epic skills - People feel like they wasted their time grinding

Reset epic deeds - People feel like they lost money/silver/time building them

Changing Skillgain rate on epic - Others achievements are diminished

Edited by Nyjah

I think if you would have done a map reset around a year ago it would've helped. I would just do away with Challenge or Epic no need to have 2 dead pvp servers.

increasing skillgain on Epic to 1/8th to 1/2 of the Challenge skillgain rate

This would be horrible

• Like 25

Well as a freedom player I like the idea of a server not being reset for prizes received ECT.

Id remove chaos reset epic and hota statues and challenge reward things that might be given out turned into codes.

Id be more inclined to participate in pvp if footing was equal but could lose lots of players in doing so.

However if there was a reset I'd defiantly consider trying it even more skill gain would make me consider.

Its good that you start to ask the Community Rolf. But beware that everyone has their own agenda, kingdoms alike.

But, we all know you added Epic as some sort of beta test for Challenge. So the big question is: "Is it really neccessary to keep the Epic cluster" ? And No to all of you Epic players, i dont mean to delete them. But is there someway to Close the servers and let the players move elsewhere?

As you can see Rolf, adding to many servers is not good, no matter how much some people want it. Adding new servers need people, those people come from existing servers making them unpopulated.

Do you remember when the game was beta? 1 Server, 1 Map, All kingdoms. That was fun.

• Like 2

Full Suggestion

I have read a lot of the suggestions here and attempting to create the best overall solution. I have broken up each component that has been asked for and turn them in to a full productive and explained idea.

• Xanadu sized PMK server

This map although comes with its extra travel time does open up more space for breaking up the "zerg". It also creates a greater depth of diplomacy with in the game adjustments would need to be made so all kingdoms can ally to whom they want including WL to BL. This diversity will create a non stagnant ever changing environment.

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver

People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk. In addition to this it gives the few players that don't overly wish to pvp a place to stay. Now due to the huge increase in numbers that will be on both servers as there would be no default kingdoms only pmks which tend to be a great deal smaller. the CR nerf could be removed/reduced increasing the risk of being fought but also providing another place to pvp.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?

Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect in my opinion. One of the worst things about dying is the time it takes to make or be given new gear. an additional option would be to have this bonus increased further bay the land a pmk owns on the new elevation. This will create a greater reward for having more land.

•  Land control

Have % land control give extra sleep bonus gained e.g. own 10% of the land gain 10% extra sleep bonus on using a bed.

• Bring back calf shots

These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons

Forcing the players to commit, by dropping , I would also change hota to a time based king of the hill. Adjusting it to a % of time you control this point will give you a % of the reward. This would mean each party who held the point at anytime would get atleast some reward. Only the overall winner gets the +1ql. 

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

To create extra pvp, events like this would encourage defenders and attackers to complete it. Defenders would receive 500 karma for not being drained. Raiders receive 1000 karma for full drain. Same for kill.  

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather

There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate. This is also to use the assets that the art team have spent vast amounts of time creating. Even with this due to the new dragon drop rates Drake and Scale would still be hugely rare.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed

With a larger map you will need to travel around more so maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down plus an additional 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic.

• Add challenge to Epic

This may at first glance look insane but this is how i would adjust it to create a symbiotic relationship.

Challenge remains free and has at very most 6x Epic skill + curve.

Last one month (effectively 6 months of epic time). Remains open for 2 weeks to vacate(one way) this also give time for the next challenge to be readied (same map if need be just reset)

Players can then transfer on premium directly to the new elevation map with items if the cross to the south of the border or teleport with inventory only to one of the 2 home sever depending on there WL/BL counter part.

What this would do is give everyone the ability to try pvp for free and be able to fight on a level playing field for a time. On crossing to epic they don't start from nothing and can defend themselves straight from the get go immediately providing new pvpers and new potential recruits to a non static server. Any kingdom can pick them up and use these extra numbers at anytime or it will increase the number of players on each of the home servers. This creates room for epic and challenge to work symbiotically. It will also create new revenue form thos that do prem up to leave the server.

Edit

Added land control

EDIT EDIT

Update the suggestion to full

Edited by JockII
  • Like 2

The population on Epic doesn't seem helped by the Challenge servers and Epic is dwindling not fulfilling it's potential.

I am curious, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but did you expect a different outcome?  The community consensus appeared to be that challenge would suck the last bit of life out of epic, even before the first one was launched.

I don't have a dog in this fight, since I'll probably never play PvP, but from what I'm hearing from friends who do, your best bet would be to roll challenge into epic in some useful way, since it seems like the target players of both are the same.

Edited by Pandalet
  • Like 2

The Elevation map reset would be great! Some people were suggesting joining all the home servers into one big server, I also think that is a nice idea. On the skill gain part, personally I'd be butt hurt after spending over two years of grinding.

Similar objectives to challenge sounds like a great idea, due to the fact that there is no point to fight over land on Elevation. Maybe instead of rewarding items, the capture points and alike would provide some kind of a bonus to the kingdom which owns it (PvP and skill wise).

• Like 6

I think if you would have done a map reset around a year ago it would've helped. I would just do away with Challenge or Epic no need to have 2 dead pvp servers.

Epic has picked up a bit more lately! Here on Affliction we're up to around 33 players daily which is probably near the full size of Challenge. 

This would be horrible

Indeed it would! 

Not sure how to go about making Epic more appealing, especially as a lot of the Freedom players already complain about the existence of PvP in Wurm. If I was to have a person choice It would be to remove challenge maybe reset maps based on a popular vote then leave it at that.

As for getting new players to take a try at PvP.. Forum Advertising? Maybe a Noobies Guide to Wurm PvP? Show people what the appeal is and if they wish to have more of a challenge then the occasional troll walking into their 5000 tile farm to come try pvp out!

• Like 1

Add seryll in veins like salt , source crystals and gems.

Edited by Atheas
  • Like 1

increasing skillgain on Epic to 1/8th to 1/2 of the Challenge skillgain rate

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

I understand the idea to appeal to newer (and more) players, but a LOT of people(myself included) would not like seeing someone get the skills that took them months to grind overnight. 

• Like 7

Before I would even consider going back to epic it would need a complete reset of both servers and characters but the current players on epic properly wouldn't like the idea of this(and i can understand them they have put years into their chars).

I would also like to see epic being reset every so often like once every year or two years just like challenge just longer rounds.

With this of cause it should have increased skill gain so that people actually have a chance of getting good characters in the one or two years the server would live and prizes just like challenge has,

just monthly challenges that everyone has a chance get and not just the strongest kingdom or the most active players (not everyone can play 24/7).

This would also mean that people who want the everlasting PVP server would have to go to chaos and there offer two different PVP environments instead of splitting of the PVP community as it is right now.

And cut down on the amount of PVP servers try and combine the servers somehow, the PVP community is just not big enough to support the amount of servers there is right now.

Edited by urban
  • Like 1

no, no reset of epic, some of us put in years of work into our deeds.

• Like 5

why cant new players start from nothing like everyone else did all those years ago.  I started epic last week, no skill, I dont care lol.  We all gotta start somewhere, no matter when you join.

• Like 3

Tbh,what's the point of challenge if you are making epic more skill gain? Whats the point of having 3 pvp servers in the same game? Epic has to go, and you need to work out some way to reimburse the epic players, maybe give them in game currency based on their body stats in ranges of 10, like 30-40 body stats accounts get some silver (fair amount), and similarly for higher body stats. The cost of deed formation as well as upkeep can all be returned to the founder and the entire cluster could be deleted. Do this and the players will have a chance to get their foot set up on freedom isles with the in game money they get.

Then we will have only 2 pvp servers, chaos and challenge. Also, do not add that God/demigod drama to chaos.

Ok Rolf.

Lets have a talk.

You introduced challenge despite outcries that the challenge/epic server would essentially be using the same playerbase, thus resulting in lower player populations at both places.

You abandoned epic quite some time ago in terms of dev time and left it halfdone, thus people lost interest.

Obvious flaws like mag being next to nathan, missions being downright impossible, one religon having multiple gods and more missions for karma, valrei-structure missions rewarding one person despite being a group project, etc were all left alone.

Dont even get me started on the fact you never bothered to make a proper ingame map for valrei nor explain for new players how it worked.

Even to this day most people lack clear knowledge of what the various tiles on valrei do.

The massive ammount of RNG that is valrei kinda makes scenarios feel less like a "game" and more like a dice roll at times.

The most unique and special effects of epic (the valrei related drops) were freely given to the other servers and in far higher quantities than epic, thus it feelt like epic lost its unique things... while at the same time epic players for eons werent allowed the 100 skill titles... Now epic seem to have "epic fisherman" as a 100 skill title for fishing while the freedom/chaos cluster got a more unique title "Hooked on fishing" etc... the players arent worthy of the real deal eh? Gotta love being second class players.

The whole demi-god / ascension system even to this day has had almost no visible presence for the world.

Oh and when epic actually had large forces clashing it resulted in unplayable lagg where both sides just walked home in dissapointment, elevation doesnt support the playerbase you desire.

In short: you directly split the playerbase with challenge, treated the players as secondary class players and abandoned the needed polishing of the servers game mechanics. And now players treat the servers in a similar fashion. or as you would put it "gg"

edit:

Oh and increasing skillgain is not how to make the server more appealing Rolf. thats how you get a brief influx of players who quit after a while. it doesnt work in the long run.

How about improving the actual gaming experience rather than hold shiny objects infront of players? Let the players get excited about the actual race rather than just the reward.

edit2:

And /who for each server DESTROYED raiding with ships (the most used pvp method). why didn't you make /who global for the epic cluster despite the outcry from pvpers?

And why does portals have a 1 hour cooldown to other clusters? Let players choose where they play, why would you LIMIT peoples enjoyment? a 10-15 min timer is fine, but an hour? comeon.

And why arent champs allowed to use portals along with all the other pvpers? responce time is the key to defense so obviously people are gonna use the portal if its faster... those poor champs are going to be left alone by their own people cuz its LOGICAL to not bother going in a ship with them. (this is comming from a ex-champ)

edit3:

How about making those fancy valrei effects have less irreversable mass destruction of the landscape? Instead of a big meteor and a massive hole in the map... how about a meteor shower over an area with a lot of minor bumps instead..? ya know... things that allow us to still live and play at the location...

The valrei pillars for example got slopes with such steepnes that a player can never modify them ever again.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 21

Please do not touch skill it is fine how it is, its not broken it doesn't need fixing...

*edit: also, ignore the chaos trolls asking for epic to close

• Like 19

why cant new players start from nothing like everyone else did all those years ago.  I started epic last week, no skill, I dont care lol.  We all gotta start somewhere, no matter when you join.

Exactly! I came to Affliction roughly 3 months ago from Xanadu. Bored of the Freedom farmville life wanting a real challenge in the game I pay to play. 

Sure there are many people on Epic who could kick my a** but I don't care! I've busted my butt over the last 3 months getting where I am now =)

• Like 2

no reset of elevation please, would undo years of work on the deed.

I guess there will be many people with different perspectives on Epic.

For me, I enjoyed my time on Epic when it first came out and for a quite a while after, the biggest issue for me was not losing gear or skills, but purely the time it can take to find decent PVP.

To gear up, go on a raid and get back to base (assuming the enemy doesn't fast-track that process!!) can take hours upon hours so I always find myself thinking have I got time to go on a raid, I need to get up for work  at 6am :)

..that said I needed to travel back from Pristine to Celebration yesterday and due to poor winds, it took me 2 hours just to get from Pristine to close to the SW Xanadu border - so for me, speed of travel is the one thing i'd like to see improved somehow Wurm-wide, not just in terms of PVP.

Edited by solmark
  • Like 1