Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

I've always thought these discussions were worthless unless Rolf would pipe in from time to time so people knew he was reading and would steer the discussion in a direction he was interested in.

• Like 6

From what I understand is the community leader reads these makes bullet points of the arguments/ideas and presents them in meetings.  Perhaps you're right...  I'd like to think he reads them but this thread is 22 pages long... that's a lot of reading...

In answer to a previous question, on why I play Epic instead of Chaos.. in the beginning, a total roll of the dice. Random choice. I played for the thrill of PvP, after having spent a few months playing on Freedom. I was apprehensive at first, but knowing that thanks to the Curve, the skillgain modifier and my own initiative I could catch up to the "big name" PvP accounts and pull my own weight was enough incentive.

Now, I play Epic for Valrei almost singularly, beyond just growing my account further and gaining more skills/stats. The love/hate relationship some of us have with Valrei is what keeps me going - the carrot on the end of the stick. Because Wurm is all about incentive, some which is supplied by the game (sorcery items, even though they're just a way of adding flavour to PvP, affinities, loot, etc) and some by the individual (sometimes you have to supply your own motivation for doing things, it's a sandbox game not a story-driven linear one, you set your own goals and reach them, then repeat).

The drop-off point in Wurm is as much peoples fault as it is the games fault; I've been part of (not running, stop accusing me of that!) a new player academy for almost two years of my life now, seeing people come and go over the years, and the big fall-off in the beginning is shortly after becoming settled/building a house. There's the big "what now?" moment, and when the only thing to move on to is up to the player themselves, very few people will push onwards and choose a role to fill, or be burning with the urge to PvP. This isn't a problem with Epic, per se, as one with Wurm itself. The game seems wholly based around things taking time and hard-work, where usually the end result is being able to stand proudly atop what you've built/accomplished, chest thrust out and say "I did this!" shortly followed by "... now what..?"

As a fairly active PvPer, playing on both the home server and Elevation, the thing I see more than anything else is apathy. Sure we could gather together a knarr full of people and go raid an enemy deed/server, but the main question is, "why?" If you already have all the moon metal/affinities/gear/cheesecake then why go off the safety of your deed where you could die and lose everything, if the reward is just.. more affinities? More shiny loot to throw in a building and leave decay? Or just being able to play the meta-game of Wurm that is forum-fu to see who can troll who the hardest.

The tl;dr of my silly diatribe is, we need a new carrot. A bigger, shinier carrot. We don't need maps wiped, home-servers removed, or equally cataclysmic shenanigans, because those are just short-term fixes to the larger problem(although some love to Valrei would be nice, *cough*blatantselfinterest*cough*).

Just my take on things anyhow, now I've got a forge to stand in front of for six hours while I play old Amiga games on the other screen.

• Like 9

we need a new carrot. A bigger, shinier carrot.

We already have one! If you work hard, you can ascend to a god!

Working hard has nothing to do with ascending, that's the problem

• Like 4

Everyone wants it, take back minehopping... Foh sure!

I would honestly delete epic, move character stats ethier to Freedom accounts (replacing freedom stats) or to new accounts on Freedom.

All things must come to an end.

That or delete chaos reset map and dump chaos on epic.

Consolidate the players.

Change terraforming events so that they are actually fixable. Currently they make huuuuge holes with slopes that even 100 skill cannot attempt to fix.

Fix the elevation hota steppe, or add valrei items capable of fixing them ourselves.

By no means do we want to be connected to freedom clusters in any way, at all.

Combine (may need to whipe) the 4 servers into 1 server, however keep them as seperate continents if not seperated by water, then seperated by obviouse choke points to facilitate new players. That means placing the starting deeds in-land and away from the water to avoid oportunistic raiders, or at the very least in a deep bay/river that would leave any raider at a dissadvantage to raid the starter deeds on a boat.

Protecting new players, or simply more pve oriented players could be expanded on by adding a craftable freedom tabard. The tabard itself does nothing, however raiders might pitty these people, or not... I don't know.

BTW i just wonder when we gonna see some changes... will it be anytime soon or as usual "after holidays" ?

I would honestly delete epic, move character stats ethier to Freedom accounts (replacing freedom stats) or to new accounts on Freedom.

All things must come to an end.

That or delete chaos reset map and dump chaos on epic.

Consolidate the players.

hell no I have two good priest on one account....both freedom and epic.

How about, pve servers eventually turn into pvp servers after they been open for 3 years. Then after they get blown up from craters and such we just move to another server deleting the server and making a new one :P

Edited by DOE

Thanks - great feedback, I read it all up until here!

Starting another thread based on the feedback.

• Like 1