Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

Forgive me for not reading through all the posts here, but so far the summary I am getting is this: Most Epic players - fix wurm  Most players on other servers - delete / reset the server that I don't play on.

Resetting or removing servers tries to address a symptom, not the problem.

• Like 1

And your proof of Epic dying is?  I've been playing Epic solid since launch, and I've yet to see anything that proves Epic is dying.  However I do see the same people whining that Epic is dying and you're bad for thinking otherwise, year after year.  So why isn't Epic fully dead yet?  Why am I seeing people return to Epic as usual?  Why am I seeing more action coming from Epic than Chaos?  The only reason servers seem low is because Epic is split between 4 servers to retain its functionality.  There are 136 players on Epic, and 73 on Chaos as of the time of this post.  Imagine that Epic was combined into one server to compare to Chaos, because thats really what it is, it just has server borders to separate homes.

There is 0 possible way to move Epic accounts to Freedom, whether it's account skill balancing, different skills on each cluster, items, deeds, etc or pleasing the playerbase.  Most on Epic do not want to play Chaos or we would be there already, read it and understand that

For you to use any combination of population numbers, be it peak or off peak hours, and not actually see the horrible state in which the Epic server is in, speaks volumes. And the Chaos server isn't any better. The 3 dozen odd people that play there regularly have the same convoluted notion that everything is just fine there too.

Just because a server is still functioning by the grace of the creator of the game does not make it alive and well. People should just face it already. The PvP in Wurm isn't dying, it's already DEAD.

Isolate chaos from freedom it dies....SO maybe Epic needs a PvE market and PvE only server to bring in players that want fast skilling but no PvP and will create a better market place for people to play there.....

btw

Chaos 56 people

Epic 126 people

I think a PvE Epic server would change the dynamics of everything....not only that its population would probably exceed all of the PvP Epic islands. ;)

Given how popular a PvE server is, I Wouldn't be all too surprised if you were right.

You don't even play on Epic, how can you prove Epic is dying?  Doesn't the simple fact that people are still playing and the population is growing mean that it's not dying...?  Where is your real evidence to show that Epic is dying?  I'm only seeing a small selection of people that even say it's dying and you're one of them.   There are more players on Epic than Chaos

I don't need to prove anything, Theirs 350+ Replies to this thread. Take out lets say 300 of them, And put them is Misc or un-related posts, Thats still 50 complaints about epic. I want you to prove to us that epic isn't dying. And by not saying oh the population just comes back n fourth! 

I was bored enough to read back epic and chaos pvp threads to 20 february... 53 kill reports on epic 11 kill reports on chaos - Epic is obviously not dying, we just need more action! but seems that merging playerbase and removing epic might be in this case counterproductive...

• Like 1

I want you to prove to us that epic isn't dying. And by not saying oh the population just comes back n fourth! 

Um, if stating that the playerbase is seemingly stable and growing atm with newblood joining pvp isn't proof that it's not dead, what is?

• Like 3

So many good points/ideas and alot of bad ones. to me, server resets/one server isn't a great idea, but working with those ideas on concentrating pvp to one island is...But...

You need home servers to give new players a chance to learn the ropes, grind and have safe skilling, having one island for that isn't great, people on Chaos always had a safe place to train before heading to it.

Smaller home servers would be cooler, instead of taking them away.
No CR nerf visiting enemy home servers.
Loot resource missions on Enemy servers for your kingdom to loot.
Make elevation more attractive to go to, give more reason to roam around.
Fix the Hota zones craters.
Better distribution of rewards from HoTa. 
Give rewards after x_amount of kills, drains etc reset on deaths, cosmetic masks/items like you gave for challenge were cool and sought after. 
Take away /who
Take away archery / plate nerf.

Make improvements to the missions, sacking 500 seryll lumps isn't fun, creating 50 collosus isn't fun, make them possible.

any reset that resets deeds/maps are lame. Actually, it doesn't solve anything in my opinion. An update that forces players to lose their work, just to rework on what they already done makes people focus away from pvp. If epic is "dead" like some of you claim, a reset would either make people quit out of "###### that, cba to restart" or we end up in the same situation 3 years later waiting for a map reset because the real issues wasn't fixed.

Edited by Mclovin

Um, if stating that the playerbase is seemingly stable and growing atm with newblood joining pvp isn't proof that it's not dead, what is?

So is that all you have to support epic with? "The playerbase is **Seemingly** growing" Even tho you, yourself just said the player base LEAVES, and COMES BACK. Sigh, Were not getting anywhere with this, Whatever. I was just looking for proof that epic is ALIVE, and GROWING, But since no proof can be given, we can just reflect on the 355?+ replies to this thread on what the hell is wrong with epic.

Anyways, Soo can someone please make a general consensus(s) about these posts. 

So is that all you have to support epic with? "The playerbase is **Seemingly** growing" Even tho you, yourself just said the player base LEAVES, and COMES BACK. Sigh, Were not getting anywhere with this, Whatever. I was just looking for proof that epic is ALIVE, and GROWING, But since no proof can be given, we can just reflect on the 355?+ replies to this thread on what the hell is wrong with epic.

Anyways, Soo can someone please make a general consensus(s) about these posts. 

I'll just jump in so you stop trolling MrGary. Myself and three other players just started on epic. We all subbed premium. We are all actively PvPing and contributing to the local community. I also subbed a noob that I found running around on Affliction, so that he didnt have to struggle financially to play wurm. 

Can we get back to fixing issues that are brought up with the Valrei system, and wurm in general?

Thanks.

• Like 5

Epic is fine, it just needs for Rolf to actually fix the mechanics he half implemented years ago.

The only server that has changed an extreme amount in population from when I started is serenity.

Edited by Kagrenac

I'll just jump in so you stop trolling MrGary. Myself and three other players just started on epic. We all subbed premium. We are all actively PvPing and contributing to the local community. I also subbed a noob that I found running around on Affliction, so that he didnt have to struggle financially to play wurm. 

Can we get back to fixing issues that are brought up with the Valrei system, and wurm in general?

Thanks.

Im not intentionally trying to troll MrGary, I am trying to get him to stop ignoring everyone else and look at the whole instead. The whole is saying "Epic needs a reset" among other things.

MrGary & several others are saying epic isn't dead, fix the client. With that being said, I want to know MrGary's logic & reasoning to say that, Since clearly the 300+ replies to this thread says otherwise. 

So,

there has been suggestions about Elevation receiving a (map) reset for quite a while now. The population on Epic doesn't seem helped by the Challenge servers and Epic is dwindling not fulfilling it's potential.

Please make suggestions on how you think we could change Elevation and possibly the other Epic servers in order to make them more interesting.

/Rolf

By the data on the wiki...

BLH got a map reset. 5 months later, the premium accounts are almost back to where they were pre-reset. Doesn't look like that one worked

currently Wild has 366 premium accounts, Ele has 220 and the combined home servers have 473. I would bet Epic has more active pvp'ers and raiders than Chaos. Looking at the yearly graphs, ALL the servers are in decline, not just epic, so maybe a reset of all servers? After all, if it is the solution (contrary to what the BLH reset suggests) for epic then it is possibly a solution for the others, too.

Perhaps there should have first been a topic of "Discuss why you think the Epic player base is declining"

• Like 2

why do you think putting people who don't want to pvp onto a pvp server would make them all of a sudden want to pvp?

if they don't want to pvp, they shouldn't have chosen a pvp server

As much as I dislike people that utterly refuse to pvp or just don't really pvp being on a pvp server, they're still part of the total population.  Remove them, and then the player base dwindles.  When there's less people to play with, people generally stop playing (the usual cause of the winter epic declines, after bl smashes some jk capital and then bl get bored), it's a snowball effect

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 1

Honestly, Rolf, you're in a bind here.

You're in a situation where options considered could establish a dangerous precedent about deed permanence - resetting maps worries people about the time, effort and love they've put into their work. I looked intently at the details of the Affliction reset, to calm myself about my poor little Release. If people feel their loved, sculpted and protected deeds could disappear on any whim, they will not be willing to invest the same time and money into them again.

Heck, you're in a situation where there's about nothing you can do that won't annoy -someone-.

And I've gotta say, worse yet? You're asking -us- what we think we want. I'm including myself when I say I'd be surprised if we had any idea what we actually want. Yes, we're the paying customer, but between social desirability responses and the issue that we might not have conceptualized what is actually good for us means all this needs a heap of salt. It's the risk of sacrificing design vision to please the customers.

You need to kick back and ask yourself (and perhaps us - afterwards!) the core, fundamental questions. "What makes Wurm unique and enjoyable?", then "What experience do I want to offer the players?". It may involve sitting back and thinking "Challenge is a good concept. It reaches out to a different audience. But it's not actually why people are here." Take the time to watch what it is players -do-, as well as say. For instance, in the past times I've started Wurm again over the years, it's always been with a few friends. We then diversify to cover different skills. This can be a source of inspiration, such as a Challenge in which, as you gain skills, all other skills slow down slightly. Now that sounds like a cool idea in my head, but it might turn out in playing it that I don't like it at all.

I know it's somewhat contradictory to what I said about the customer's views, but along with "what should change", we should take the time to guide the team by saying what it is we enjoy. What it is keeping us here. Especially what it is that keeps you on Wurm PvP - not just Wurm. As these changes happen, knowing what we enjoy will be just as, if not moreso, useful than what we don't.

Gary, Please explain to everyone here, How epic isn't dying. If you can prove the past 18 or 18+ Pages all wrong, ill then believe you when you say "Epic isn't dying". If your gonna say "Well theirs still people here!" and "Well the population is coming back", That's not working for us or rolf, Think its easy on the company to support the epic cluster when it can't even hold its own for longer than 5+ months. 

Anyways, Please, do tell how epic isn't dying, Cause all im seeing is complaint about epic after complaint and how it is dying, Which are all mostly true, Iv YET to see real evidence that hey, Epic is very well alive and self sustaining, and won't fall to the fate that chaos had when it was isolated from everything else.

I do believe he did explain that in full detail.

here....

And your proof of Epic dying is?  I've been playing Epic solid since launch, and I've yet to see anything that proves Epic is dying.  However I do see the same people whining that Epic is dying and you're bad for thinking otherwise, year after year.  So why isn't Epic fully dead yet?  Why am I seeing people return to Epic as usual?  Why am I seeing more action coming from Epic than Chaos?  The only reason servers seem low is because Epic is split between 4 servers to retain its functionality.  There are 136 players on Epic, and 73 on Chaos as of the time of this post.  Imagine that Epic was combined into one server to compare to Chaos, because thats really what it is, it just has server borders to separate homes.

There is 0 possible way to move Epic accounts to Freedom, whether it's account skill balancing, different skills on each cluster, items, deeds, etc or pleasing the playerbase.  Most on Epic do not want to play Chaos or we would be there already, read it and understand that

And i didnt pick a full pvp server i picked afflitcition , my choice to play there and fits my play style who are you to dictate how i must play and how often i must pvp????

• Like 1

i dont really understand why people think epic is dying

can someone explain what thats based ?

87 people online when i post this on the epic cluster 24 on chaos

the number of people on elevation alone is the same as Chaos.

some of the bigger pve servers are also very low on population as in % of their cap.

i been on Desertion for a long time now, and yes the numbers go up and down, but the only people ever whining its dying are people i dont know. so either not on dersertion or not on epic at all.

Epic can use some help to get the numbers higher, i love them to be higher, but the epic servers dont really look bad compared to most of the other servers if i look at the sizes and the numbers. 

I just dont see it, 

So you ask for proof its not dead? well i am on epic, with a deed of 8 others (18 accounts), in an alliance that sometimes has 30 people online so its a lot of things but not dead.

• Like 3

I was bored enough to read back epic and chaos pvp threads to 20 february... 53 kill reports on epic 11 kill reports on chaos - Epic is obviously not dying, we just need more action! but seems that merging playerbase and removing epic might be in this case counterproductive...

I love this post btw lol.

11 to 53?  really?

Edited by Uberknot

I do believe he did explain that in full detail.

here....

All he said was 

"So why isn't Epic fully dead yet?  Why am I seeing people return to Epic as usual?"

He didn't answer anything, All hes posting is from his groups perspective, Nothing more. People come and go as he says, all is fine he says, But since were only a few days into this thread, and theirs almost 400 posts about epic, theirs something obviously wrong with epic that gary can't seem to put his finger on. Truthfully, Nobody here, including myself seems to be able to do that either, Atleast we can pretend we are but so far we have just been going through suggestions, then gary smites idea, jock quote idea, next suggestion.

Aswell, Now that you brought it up:

The only reason servers seem low is because Epic is split between 4 servers to retain its functionality.  There are 136 players on Epic*Edit: Cluster*, and 73 on Chaos as of the time of this post.  Imagine that Epic was combined into one server to compare to Chaos, because thats really what it is, it just has server borders to separate homes.

I believe theirs about a few dozen posts on here saying "If they were forced to pvp we'd quit", So if we merged all epic servers, You'l see the number drop like a brick in a lake. Why? Because numbers don't mean shi# when it comes to determining if a server is alive or not, 2/5 of wurms premmed accounts are all crafting alts, batteries or similar. Like this recent post from elroth:

So you ask for proof its not dead? well i am on epic, with a deed of 8 others (18 accounts), in an alliance that sometimes has 30 people online so its a lot of things but not dead.

18 accounts out of 136 online. K, So thats... 14 or 15? percent of the online population, for one deed, on ONE server. Now, Factor in the three other servers, Crafting alts, Priest alts & possibly a battery involved, You can easily go ahead and say: Epic's number population is SOO un-reliable, Which is why im on gary or anyone for that matter to produce REAL evidence that epic isn't dead. As-well, Lets not forget the PvE players on epic either, Who sit on home servers all the time.

Edited by akaedis

This thread has obviously run its course, I don't see any construction discussion going on anymore.

This is just people arguing now.

• Like 1

and i quote"The only reason servers seem low is because Epic is split between 4 servers to retain its functionality.  There are 136 players on Epic, and 73 on Chaos as of the time of this post.  Imagine that Epic was combined into one server to compare to Chaos, because thats really what it is, it just has server borders to separate homes."  seems to be an explanation and example of it not being dead or dying

Most are not saying "if they are forced to pvp" people like there play style on home servers and alot of us pop over to ele to pvp thanks to the portals , but to forcefully shove everyone on the same map that dont want to be there is counterproductive

I play there as do my friends all of which have contributed alot of money to the game over the 8 years of playing as well as the other 30 or more in our alliance that arent alts as you like to believe , so to the people that play there and enjoy it it isnt dead

Edited by Ruiner

currently Wild has 366 premium accounts, Ele has 220 and the combined home servers have 473. I would bet Epic has more active pvp'ers and raiders than Chaos. Looking at the yearly graphs, ALL the servers are in decline, not just epic, so maybe a reset of all servers? After all, if it is the solution (contrary to what the BLH reset suggests) for epic then it is possibly a solution for the others, too.

If you compare all the servers it becomes even easier to see that the decline is pretty much wurm players in general, not just epic.

All premium accounts on all servers, 76% of the peak value in the last year.

Elevation 70%

Desertion 75%

Serenity 50%

Affliction 75%

Most of the PvE servers fell at least half, some to a third of their peak, a good portion of that is probably because of xanadu.

But Xanadu is already down to 67% of it's peak, and the other servers continue to lose players.

Edited by Kagrenac
  • Like 1

This thread has obviously run its course, I don't see any construction discussion going on anymore.

This is just people arguing now.

That ended like around page 9? or so.

Anyways, Lock it then?

Anyways, Lock it then?

Max isnt a forum mod