Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

I don't really know why new map keeps coming up, a new map won't solve anything but kill off existing invested players.  A new map doesn't fix any core issues that drove people away from the game.  If things like cr nerfs on home servers is truly an issue, remove it.  Who cares, you're still going to slaughter noobs, and you're still going to get slaughtered if caught by real defenders

There are groups of people that shouted nonstop saying there has to be map/skill resets to keep interests, and they quit and then play challenge, and then quit that too crying it's still the same game despite it being what they said epic should be.  And challenge itself seems to be dwindling in numbers each time and as time passed on.

Leave the things alone that would make players leave, and focus on the core issues instead.  Client being able to handle large groups in local without crashing or lagging, memory leak, pvp tweaks and fixes, valrei, holes in the ground, etc

Are you saying elevation is not a mess from the epic events?

The only mess is gatehouse of libila. You can still roam around and find easy ways to move around. It's not all that bad.. well except HotA steppe. But that's caused by players.

I don't really know why new map keeps coming up, a new map won't solve anything but kill off existing invested players.  A new map doesn't fix any core issues that drove people away from the game.  If things like cr nerfs on home servers is truly an issue, remove it.  Who cares, you're still going to slaughter noobs, and you're still going to get slaughtered if caught by real defenders

There are groups of people that shouted nonstop saying there has to be map/skill resets to keep interests, and they quit and then play challenge, and then quit that too crying it's still the same game despite it being what they said epic should be.  And challenge itself seems to be dwindling in numbers each time and as time passed on.

Leave the things alone that would make players leave, and focus on the core issues instead.  Client being able to handle large groups in local without crashing or lagging, memory leak, pvp tweaks and fixes, valrei, holes in the ground, etc

Well gary, That's a good post, Okay resolve, For you guys, However it hits one the issue. People are still complaining about epic. Something is wrong, Like how many posts are their on this forum about "Bla bla something is wrong with epic" or "Reset epic"? Too dam many. 

Im still waiting to see if anyone has agreed whats wrong with Epic yet.

dq4VxId.gif

• Like 1

Are you saying elevation is not a mess from the epic events?

No, and thankfully it was toned down sooner than later.  The only legit struggle I see with them are the player made ones that I've asked if they could be reverted, considering they don't seem to be working as intended

The idea of getting a scenario ticket from killing a player seems to be wrong imo, already people win tomes for doing almost nothing to forward their god, killing a player doesn't help their god either. Also the idea that killing enemy should be a mission seems silly since its pretty easy for the enemy to just avoid you, gaining karma was already added for killing people and that's good enough imo

• Like 3

Make epic pve server, concentrate pvpers on challenge.

LOL no. Go away. We already have PLENTY of pve servers, Too many imo. And challenge playstyle is not for everyone. Now either youre just a troll or you really are messed up in the head.

Edited by New_Unsleep
  • Like 1

Putting all the islands on the same server is pretty much a triple kill for some of the issues people have. Gets rid of cr nerf, /who abuse and allows for enemies to deed/fortify their position on the enemy home islands.

We know the servers can handle it because xanadu exists.

• Like 6

Putting all the islands on the same server is pretty much a triple kill for some of the issues people have. Gets rid of cr nerf, /who abuse and allows for enemies to deed/fortify their position on the enemy home islands.

We know the servers can handle it because xanadu exists.

But is allowing people to make a spot to place a deed in enemy noobville town central a good idea for retaining newer players?

• Like 1

But is allowing people to make a spot to place a deed in enemy noobville town central a good idea for retaining newer players?

I think that the kingdoms can defend themselves. This is a sandbox after all and the less walls we have up the better.

The problem is, people shouldn't be making noobville towns in the first place. Group up, join people who are already established and have safety in numbers.

Gotta stop hand holding the newbies and making them 100% safe on a PvP server, if they want that they can go to the PvE servers. Most people signing up for PvP with no Wurm experience are likely not looking for hand holding anyway.

Also, if youre a newbie and die, you don't lose much in the way of skills/tools anyway.

Edited by Ruxin

Sadly if that were the case we wouldn't have all the anti pvp mechanics on wl home servers

I think that the kingdoms can defend themselves. This is a sandbox after all and the less walls we have up the better.

The problem is, people shouldn't be making noobville towns in the first place. Group up, join people who are already established and have safety in numbers.

Gotta stop hand holding the newbies and making them 100% safe on a PvP server, if they want that they can go to the PvE servers. Most people signing up for PvP with no Wurm experience are likely not looking for hand holding anyway.

Also, if youre a newbie and die, you don't lose much in the way of skills/tools anyway.

You tell a brand new person/group that they can't play alone and that the only way they can play at all is by joining an established group they don't know.  You tell a brand new person that they can only play a sandbox game the way you dictate them to play

It doesn't work.  They need the freedom to realize what to do and learn to play.  If they get slaughtered whether they have a lot to lose or not, they're still dying trying to progress into the game and it's a hindrance or demotivator.  The real question is, what do established pvpers get slaughtering noobs, if all they have are crappy tools? 

@Olloch you know that isn't the case.  Plenty of times that people go to home servers, slaughter noobs and then sneak away fine because nobody can locate them.  I don't see how a server border translates to a wall or anything, the only point I can see is server crossing alarms but what good are they if you don't know who, and everyone is nolod?  Just proves how easy it is to slip over to noobville, kill someone and then sneak away from the actual fighters

• Like 2

You tell a brand new person/group that they can't play alone and that the only way they can play at all is by joining an established group they don't know.  You tell a brand new person that they can only play a sandbox game the way you dictate them to play

It doesn't work.  They need the freedom to realize what to do and learn to play.  If they get slaughtered whether they have a lot to lose or not, they're still dying trying to progress into the game and it's a hindrance or demotivator.  The real question is, what do established pvpers get slaughtering noobs, if all they have are crappy tools? 

@Olloch you know that isn't the case.  Plenty of times that people go to home servers, slaughter noobs and then sneak away fine because nobody can locate them.  I don't see how a server border translates to a wall or anything, the only point I can see is server crossing alarms but what good are they if you don't know who, and everyone is nolod?  Just proves how easy it is to slip over to noobville, kill someone and then sneak away from the actual fighters

Them getting slaughtered is FAR better than turning them into carebears who never leave 100 tiles outside there deed. A real PvPer won't take no for an answer or defeat, A Person who is determined to play and win, Will get right back up, and go again. A Carebear on the other hand, will rage and/then quit, That's no use, Like, at all. 

Santhire isn't wrong on making a PvE Server on epic, Oh wait, They already exist. Nvm!

Them getting slaughtered is FAR better than turning them into carebears who never leave 100 tiles outside there deed. A real PvPer won't take no for an answer or defeat, A Person who is determined to play and win, Will get right back up, and go again. A Carebear on the other hand, will rage and/then quit, That's no use, Like, at all. 

Santhire isn't wrong on making a PvE Server on epic, Oh wait, They already exist. Nvm!

It's not up to you to determine what a real pvper is or who is allowed or best to play any server thankfully.  I think some just miss the idea behind being constantly slaughtered and willing to keep trying to get slaughtered some more is pretty damn stupid.  Nobody in their right mind is going to try a new game, die, start over, die, start over, die, and still want to even try anymore

Saying Epic has pve servers already just proves that people that don't play epic shouldn't even be suggesting anything for changing epic, because some of this is just outright silly.  Attempting to insult the server/cluster while lacking any knowledge of it

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 7

Some people PvP in Wurm only to make other people 'cry'. That is their sole goal and everything their gameplay is focused towards. They are not enjoying the game unless they are ruining it for someone else. More players have been driven from PvP (and Epic) by this play style than any form of broken mechanic, lack of interest, or disputes with other players combined.

It is for this reason that Home Servers and the mechanics that protect them are absolutely necessary for the protection, development, and education of new players into this community. The purpose of a Home Server is to provide a wading pool where we can teach new players to appreciate the dynamics and methodology of PvP in Wurm. Beyond this primary focus I can think of dozens of reasons to maintain them in their current form. In my personal opinion any view that they are responsible for the lack of PvP or the decline of the Epic cluster is not only short sighted, but remarkably misguided. Home servers are the primary reason Epic is still alive, not the primary reason it is in decline.

Any change that will reinvigorate PvP on the Epic cluster must be focused on Elevation. The core gameplay elements coded for the cluster are all focused on Elevation. The Home Servers are all linked to Elevation not just by Portals, but by diplomacy, gameplay mechanics, and gameplay evolution. People play on Home Servers until they are comfortable moving to Elevation and participating on the frontlines with the wider war effort. This is the dynamic that needs more focus and reinforcement.

Give us Objectives.

Give us tangible results from winning those Objectives.

Make those Objectives achievable and requiring kingdom wide coordination.

Reinforce large scale player events like the Hunt of the Ancients.

Reward and reinforce cooperation and teamwork by creating situations that can not be won by a small group or individual.

Wurm is a social game. Bring PvP into that social aspect and there is no limit to what this playership can achieve.

• Like 5

Most of the Idea's will kill Epic even more......

Focus on Elevation and make PvP better, smoother, and modernized to attract New Players to PvP.

Exisiting players have already shown their hands.....which is run to the newest greatest thing to cash in.

Some people PvP in Wurm only to make other people 'cry'. That is their sole goal and everything their gameplay is focused towards. They are not enjoying the game unless they are ruining it for someone else. More players have been driven from PvP (and Epic) by this play style than any form of broken mechanic, lack of interest, or disputes with other players combined.

It is for this reason that Home Servers and the mechanics that protect them are absolutely necessary for the protection, development, and education of new players into this community. The purpose of a Home Server is to provide a wading pool where we can teach new players to appreciate the dynamics and methodology of PvP in Wurm. Beyond this primary focus I can think of dozens of reasons to maintain them in their current form. In my personal opinion any view that they are responsible for the lack of PvP or the decline of the Epic cluster is not only short sighted, but remarkably misguided. Home servers are the primary reason Epic is still alive, not the primary reason it is in decline.

Any change that will reinvigorate PvP on the Epic cluster must be focused on Elevation. The core gameplay elements coded for the cluster are all focused on Elevation. The Home Servers are all linked to Elevation not just by Portals, but by diplomacy, gameplay mechanics, and gameplay evolution. People play on Home Servers until they are comfortable moving to Elevation and participating on the frontlines with the wider war effort. This is the dynamic that needs more focus and reinforcement.

Give us Objectives.

Reward and reinforce cooperation and teamwork by creating situations that can not be won by a small group or individual.

Wurm is a social game. Bring PvP into that social aspect and there is no limit to what this playership can achieve.

I agree with max. I developed my skills on home server before being comfortable to play on elevation

Give us Objectives.

atleast somebody with knowledge put some wise words in this topic,i make my words of maxth .

+1

IF PPL FROM ELEVATION wants reset,then reset elevation map for a chaos map size.implement new stuff in the new elevation.

Pvp can be fun no matter if you win or loose,we are all family here,epic must survive,ppls makes the diference,but also you guys need to educate and respect more the new ppl that enter to epic, not

use force to obligate something the other ppl dont want to do...

if we talk about money here,theres more deeds in homeservers then in elevation,everyone or almost everyone from elevation has a deed or belong to a deed on a homeserver,however they make pvp all the time aswell,comunication and respect is the key atleast for the team or faction that you fight with,Save homeserves and please give a new toy "Map" for elevation kids to play with... they want a new map Rolf.God save Epic! :P

Edited by cybrax

There needs to be instead of the tons of servers we have right now, 3. Chaos , Xanadu (Stay the same), Reset Elevation (16x16) and keep all skills. If you reset the skills anywhere everyones going to leave that cluster.

Give an external drive for players.  Some tangible goal to strive for that you can point to and say "That's a thing I hope to achieve."  The Epic missions are fun, sometimes.  They give you something to do to try and progress your god's achievements that hopefully you as an individual can help.  The problem is how inane some of them are.  "There's a tree somewhere, cut it down" or "Sacrifice 500 sapphires" are just... wasted missions.

What I'd love to see are more event-based missions.  For instance, at a certain time (add a countdown timer) a group of mobs will show up at one location and the mission is to kill them.  JK might get the mission to slay the mobs, while HOTS gets the mission to defend them.  That gives an excuse for pvp in a way that contributes to the larger valrei activity, and provides some structure.  Full sandbox mode to let people build their own groups and set up their own raids is a bit lack-luster but it works.  A game system that tells you "Things are going to happen, you should meet up and be ready" is a great way to get people cooperating, and people who want to opt out of it can just decide to stay home and not participate.  For those that do participate, reward them with karma, scenario points, or scraps of glimmersteel.

The important thing, to me, is to provide a tangible goal and activity to pursue, and to reward the players with real benefits that they couldn't as easily produce on their own.  HOTA is good, but it only rewards the winning alliance, and whoever is at the alliance can kind of dictate what happens to the reward items.  Unique hunts are more fun, everyone automatically gets a blood.  A type of 'server activity event' that would reward people for participating would be ideal.  It should give big contributors more, but should also have a minimum reward per person, otherwise the older players just hog all the rewards.

As much as it pains me to say, take a page from WoW or RIFT and add raid-type events, with just enough structure that people will come together and lax enough rules that they can still sandbox the solution.

Additional idea: Add personal missions, not just server-wide missions, so individual players can have their own mission from the gods, with easier tasks and smaller rewards.

I Agree +1

Full Suggestion

I have read a lot of the suggestions here and attempting to create the best overall solution. I have broken up each component that has been asked for and turn them in to a full productive and explained idea.

• Xanadu sized PMK server

This map although comes with its extra travel time does open up more space for breaking up the "zerg". It also creates a greater depth of diplomacy with in the game adjustments would need to be made so all kingdoms can ally to whom they want including WL to BL. This diversity will create a non stagnant ever changing environment.

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver

People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk. In addition to this it gives the few players that don't overly wish to pvp a place to stay. Now due to the huge increase in numbers that will be on both servers as there would be no default kingdoms only pmks which tend to be a great deal smaller. the CR nerf could be removed/reduced increasing the risk of being fought but also providing another place to pvp.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?

Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect in my opinion. One of the worst things about dying is the time it takes to make or be given new gear. an additional option would be to have this bonus increased further bay the land a pmk owns on the new elevation. This will create a greater reward for having more land.

•  Land control

Have % land control give extra sleep bonus gained e.g. own 10% of the land gain 10% extra sleep bonus on using a bed.

• Bring back calf shots

These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons

Forcing the players to commit, by dropping , I would also change hota to a time based king of the hill. Adjusting it to a % of time you control this point will give you a % of the reward. This would mean each party who held the point at anytime would get atleast some reward. Only the overall winner gets the +1ql. 

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

To create extra pvp, events like this would encourage defenders and attackers to complete it. Defenders would receive 500 karma for not being drained. Raiders receive 1000 karma for full drain. Same for kill.  

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather

There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate. This is also to use the assets that the art team have spent vast amounts of time creating. Even with this due to the new dragon drop rates Drake and Scale would still be hugely rare.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed

With a larger map you will need to travel around more so maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down plus an additional 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic.

• Add challenge to Epic

This may at first glance look insane but this is how i would adjust it to create a symbiotic relationship.

Challenge remains free and has at very most 6x Epic skill + curve.

Last one month (effectively 6 months of epic time). Remains open for 2 weeks to vacate(one way) this also give time for the next challenge to be readied (same map if need be just reset)

Players can then transfer on premium directly to the new elevation map with items if the cross to the south of the border or teleport with inventory only to one of the 2 home sever depending on there WL/BL counter part.

What this would do is give everyone the ability to try pvp for free and be able to fight on a level playing field for a time. On crossing to epic they don't start from nothing and can defend themselves straight from the get go immediately providing new pvpers and new potential recruits to a non static server. Any kingdom can pick them up and use these extra numbers at anytime or it will increase the number of players on each of the home servers. This creates room for epic and challenge to work symbiotically. It will also create new revenue form thos that do prem up to leave the server.

Edit

Added land control

EDIT EDIT

Update the suggestion to full