Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

Need a down vote button. so many bad ideas in this whole thread.

This isn't reddit sadly

Anyways, I think iv made my point clear to you. 

I just don't get how you think making new players start on elevation rather than home servers makes sense.

I can understand you wanting the taking over home server part, you want to fight people who are less experienced and easy to kill.

Are you that oblivious? Ofcourse people need an incentive/reason to play anywhere, Why do you think people went to xanadu? Wasn't because of "oh a new server!"(Ok, Well partly this) Its because theirs something there that they want/wanted. Why do you think people in epic went to epic? Why not chaos/wild? Its because they had a reason to go there.

So why should the people on the home servers be suddenly be forced to play on a server much different than the one they choose to be on.

-No, Not really no, Elevation isnt a 2x2 map where you walk out your front door or go 200 tiles north you'l hit an enemy deed. Atleast when i played anyways it wasn't. (about 13/14 months ago) You can roam on elevation, Its not like if you leave the front door of your deed you'l find an enemy waiting for you. MR & JK Showed this very well with there strongholds. Even if you pop there local, Are they gonna chase you? No, Probably not, Not unless they got backup/ready to go in-case its a bait, Or just a strong character ready, Overall its not worth it if their just on the border of your territory, Specially if you live/friendly deed close-by.

Exactly,  Experienced players can very easily roam and have very little chance of being caught, because unless your horse is significantly faster/you can shoot their horse, you are probably not going to catch them.

So you have new players wandering around near the starter deeds, cutting trees, making wooden shacks etc, the stuff that new players do, and they get slaughtered.

There is absolutely no reason to have new players start on elevation, the only reason I can see for wanting them there is that you want easy kills.

Why should new players start right next to enemy kingdoms. -Except your not? I don't understand this all to much other then i think your hinting at the use of alts, Which in that case im just gonna tell you, why the hell would a alt be useful if all the good ###### is on another server? Its super useful to have an alt somewhere that tells you hey, Theirs enemys on the central server! Cause we TOTALLY didn't already know this! Great intell! Good job! /Sarcasm

That is another reason, but if people want to abuse alts they already do.

-See, Theres a logical statement, But again, Iv said, Give a reason for people to go there and they will, They always will. Show someone something shiny they will be amused for awhile, Show someone something amazing that they greatly desire and they will fight like hell for it. When i was in MR, We went to JKH, Did the distance deter us from going there? No, Not really, What did tho, Was that god dam CR Nerf.

Home servers are already easier targets (both players and deeds), easy missions, and really will give you much better loot for the effort you put in then raiding a deed on elevation.

The CR nerf really is not a huge factor unless both sides are somewhat evenly matched, coordination matters way more, which is something people on home servers generally lack.

I don't think I can blame any of the times I have died on a home server on the CR nerf.

People already go to raid home servers over fighting on elevation, I don't get why you think people need a reason to go there.

the main problem I see with home servers is the way /who works with an outside program to notify you that 3 or more have crossed a border. you can then see how many are on a server on the forums/log-in screen, so you can easily figure out where someone went. if you are already on said server it would be even easier to tell.

my argument isn't exactly with home servers as it is with the way people can game the system. while yes that is great you are smart and use all available resources you can find. but that also makes the game less appealing to pvpers crossing said border looking to pvp. 

If there was no home servers, this wouldn't even be an issue.

1 map, all players, free to play allowed.

With that said, increase the skill cap on free to play players on the epic cluster. Why? Because those not trying to abuse alts to grief with since they can get higher skills. will actually be able to do more than a few skills up to 20 before they cap at 20 body str, control, etc.. and with the skill curve it's even worse. You basically end up losing out on skills if you don't prem up within a few hours? 

I'd rather see it capped at like 40 on skills and 25 on stats or something.

if you go make a free to play char on epic, see how much you can really do? not a whole lot. which makes the free to play basically worthless. especially when you don't know anything in a game that has little accurate information about many things.

You want more players? make it better for free to play players. so that some of those might actually enjoy the game for what it is and stick around. be in freedom, epic, or chaos.

Edit to add: One thing SOE did in the original Everquest (when population was a problem) was to only show that a server is UP or DOWN. not the actually player count.

Edited by Aetherion

I just don't get how you think making new players start on elevation rather than home servers makes sense.

I can understand you wanting the taking over home server part, you want to fight people who are less experienced and easy to kill. -Well im sure almost everyone here didn't learn PvP first day either, Or second day, Or the third day, We all died at some point, And we all got back up, and tried again, but tried to do better this time. I don't get why, on the PvP Cluster, Theirs such a carebear mentality over a home server, Its PvP, If you die on the home server, Thats inevitable, Simply because they are here already, Gotta die some day.

So why should the people on the home servers be suddenly be forced to play on a server much different than the one they choose to be on. -Well i agree its not fair to force people to change servers, However, Its not fair that Epic should be left to sit in its ever so slowly dying state because someone doesn't want to give up their deed even tho they can just prem up and keep the deed. (By what i mean epic left to slowly die, I mean that, Eventually people are gonna leave, People left independence, Eventually people will leave epic alone, It's really not a place where it can last a decade with no intervention. Specially with how valrei & v.items work)

Exactly,  Experienced players can very easily roam and have very little chance of being caught, because unless your horse is significantly faster/you can shoot their horse, you are probably not going to catch them.

So you have new players wandering around near the starter deeds, cutting trees, making wooden shacks etc, the stuff that new players do, and they get slaughtered.

There is absolutely no reason to have new players start on elevation, the only reason I can see for wanting them there is that you want easy kills. 

-Your assuming everyones an as#hole &/or a kill whor#, If a noob is out doing stuff, Not many i know will take the time to get a cheap kill that has no value or fun to it. Only reason i ever PvP'ed was to kill someone in a nice 1v1 or 5v5, For blood n glory, Not for my KDR  

That is another reason, but if people want to abuse alts they already do. -Can't really argue with you there, Alt abuse is gonna happen but atleast we can do is make it less worth while, Which is why i suggested all home servers go Prem & have some resource to fight over, Turning elevation into a island & making it a middle grounds for something.

Home servers are already easier targets (both players and deeds), easy missions, and really will give you much better loot for the effort you put in then raiding a deed on elevation. -So much fun building those pillars eh? Totally that's what we wanted to do on a PvP server, Build monuments on enemy home servers. :/

The CR nerf really is not a huge factor unless both sides are somewhat evenly matched, coordination matters way more, which is something people on home servers generally lack.

I don't think I can blame any of the times I have died on a home server on the CR nerf.

-Well i personally don't recall very many instances where i could specifically blame CR nerf for a loss, But CR Nerf was definitely a factoring cause for the loss. I do agree that coordination/Team work matters very much, But with all the co-ordination & Fo priests & Mag priests, Still can't beat a horrible debuff in a foot engagement. 

People already go to raid home servers over fighting on elevation, I don't get why you think people need a reason to go there. -This right here is a issue, Everything on elevation that you'd ever want is 30 second ride away. Theirs no adventure, No action, Nothing. Only time you're gonna find action is on the hota and a raid if your lucky. Like, Why the hell would i ever leave my deed if i needed something that i can get right outside my door? 

We need everyone on the same island and if not island than server. move affliction 200 tiles north desertion 200 east and serenity 200 west. Remove the server border and put them o the same server. Homeserver cowards still get their island to live on. And the pvpers get no more /who abuse no more CR nerf. And the ability to make deeds and towers on the enemy kingdoms island.

Let the kingdom defend itsself this is a sandbox and you dont need a mechanic inplace that hurts pvp anymore epic is years old.

No map reset required no skill reset required. Brings that spark back to epic.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. I love you olloch. idk why i didnt think of that, its been talked about before. 

• Like 2

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. I love you olloch. idk why i didnt think of that, its been talked about before. 

Won't be possible, if knowing wurm servers.

Won't be possible, if knowing wurm servers.

Knowing wurm servers nothing is possible. Worth a shot 

Full Suggestion

I have read a lot of the suggestions here and attempting to create the best overall solution. I have broken up each component that has been asked for and turn them in to a full productive and explained idea.

• Xanadu sized PMK server

This map although comes with its extra travel time does open up more space for breaking up the "zerg". It also creates a greater depth of diplomacy with in the game adjustments would need to be made so all kingdoms can ally to whom they want including WL to BL. This diversity will create a non stagnant ever changing environment.

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver

People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk. In addition to this it gives the few players that don't overly wish to pvp a place to stay. Now due to the huge increase in numbers that will be on both servers as there would be no default kingdoms only pmks which tend to be a great deal smaller. the CR nerf could be removed/reduced increasing the risk of being fought but also providing another place to pvp.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?

Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect in my opinion. One of the worst things about dying is the time it takes to make or be given new gear. an additional option would be to have this bonus increased further bay the land a pmk owns on the new elevation. This will create a greater reward for having more land.

•  Land control

Have % land control give extra sleep bonus gained e.g. own 10% of the land gain 10% extra sleep bonus on using a bed.

• Bring back calf shots

These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons

Forcing the players to commit, by dropping , I would also change hota to a time based king of the hill. Adjusting it to a % of time you control this point will give you a % of the reward. This would mean each party who held the point at anytime would get atleast some reward. Only the overall winner gets the +1ql. 

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

To create extra pvp, events like this would encourage defenders and attackers to complete it. Defenders would receive 500 karma for not being drained. Raiders receive 1000 karma for full drain. Same for kill.  

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather

There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate. This is also to use the assets that the art team have spent vast amounts of time creating. Even with this due to the new dragon drop rates Drake and Scale would still be hugely rare.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed

With a larger map you will need to travel around more so maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down plus an additional 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic.

• Add challenge to Epic

This may at first glance look insane but this is how i would adjust it to create a symbiotic relationship.

Challenge remains free and has at very most 6x Epic skill + curve.

Last one month (effectively 6 months of epic time). Remains open for 2 weeks to vacate(one way) this also give time for the next challenge to be readied (same map if need be just reset)

Players can then transfer on premium directly to the new elevation map with items if the cross to the south of the border or teleport with inventory only to one of the 2 home sever depending on there WL/BL counter part.

What this would do is give everyone the ability to try pvp for free and be able to fight on a level playing field for a time. On crossing to epic they don't start from nothing and can defend themselves straight from the get go immediately providing new pvpers and new potential recruits to a non static server. Any kingdom can pick them up and use these extra numbers at anytime or it will increase the number of players on each of the home servers. This creates room for epic and challenge to work symbiotically. It will also create new revenue form thos that do prem up to leave the server.

Edit

Added land control

EDIT EDIT

Update the suggestion to full

I'm not sure what is the best idea to fix epic, sadly I'm not infallible and I'm almost positive that any idea I have, or anyone else posting here, will lose players...but I guess epic has been losing players for a while now so it's not really that big of a loss.  The issue with epic, in my opinion, is actually the core player base of this game, PVE'ers.

Now before I get all the PVE'ers up in arms let me explain my point using an example from a very old game, DAOC.  As some of you may remember, in DAOC the pvp actually had rewards for pve, which then in turn attracted pve'ers to pvp.  DAOC, in it's core, was actually a themepark mmo, which is obviously dominated by pve players, but had one of the best pvp systems I've ever seen in a themepark mmo.  So, in theory, creating some sort of link between what happens on epic and a buff or boost on freedom would actually encourage freedom players to help out on epic, even if temporarily.

Now if you implement some sort of link between Freedom and Epic then you'll have to set up the parameters and effect of the link, the most obvious link would be to kingdoms, but how do you link HotS to Freedom (non-chaos).  Also if the reward is something like win a HOTA and gain max SB on your freedom toon, how do you prevent the more dominant kingdoms from winning constantly and try to mix it up a bit?  Which leads me to a suggestion I've been suggesting for a long time now and a suggestion other people have been suggesting for even longer....

Separate religion from kingdoms.  (I haven't played for a while so this might have already been changed)

I understand lore and all that but I don't think religion actually contributes at all to the formation of kingdoms, sure there may end up being kingdoms that base themselves on a specific religion but I assure you those will be a minority since everyone already has access to all the priests in the game already via seedy methods like hiding priests just off deed inside caves and such.

On top of seperating religion from kingdoms you could then setup a method for a player (or town) on freedom to 'link' themselves to a kingdom on epic (with limits), that way if that particular kingdom on epic accomplishes something then that particular player/town would gain the freedom reward for said accomplishment.  The limit could be something incredibly simple like a player cap, that way a single Epic faction couldn't be 'claimed' by half (or more) of the population on freedom.  This would also have the added benefit of encouraging more PMK's on epic since the three default kingdoms could reach a 'claim cap'.

As I said though, I think the biggest problem this game has with pvp is the game itself is catered to a pve playerbase and the only real way to really encourage pvp is to entice pve'ers into participating in the pvp.

I personally would like to play within a system that encouraged political PvP, alliances of fiefdoms, changes of loyalty, if honor had its own rewards to curb mindless skirmishes/killing.

In an immersive PvP world it should be totally viable to play as a peasant or merchant profiting (or suffering) from the conflict  :)

now these two things are new thoughts on the table that would be very interesting.  

These following ideas come from others but also a compromise of my own.

Illustration showing the following ideas: http://i.imgur.com/GZTlqPH.jpg

WORLD MAP:

- Merge Epic into one larger map, much larger than Xanadu and make the world surrounded by various sizes of peninsulas, islands, marshes, mountain passes, high risk raiding area, tighter paths and deeper undiscovered wild lands. PMK allowed. Don’t make the map rectangle it’s unwanted.

• Grey circles are mountainous regions in various shapes and sizes. Just an example.

- A monthly fee should be required for playing Epic but after the first subscription players should be able to receive a free time playtime for another 30-days, only once, with their skills and abilities limited (as it is without premium). That would encourage players to see the living world from a 60-days perspective and if the game is truly something for them. Once the free gameplay has ended the account will become locked for further time until a new payment has been issued.

- Every kingdom has a limit of how many guard towers they can build, that will encourage players to plan better in teamwork, locate themselves and how to increase their safety for their regions. It will contribute the entire kingdom to try capture other guard towers more frequent to obtain kingdom influence which should be some sort of reward and to achieve even further. Losing a guard tower should also have it’s own penalty that effects the entire kingdom. This is not demonstrated in the picture.

- Template kingdoms should have their starting positions rather near each other while facing the undiscovered lands ahead of them. All three stranded on peninsulas, surrounded by water and a narrow sand trail that connects them with the massive continent and race for conquest. Each template kingdom will be surrounded by natural disadvantages and strengths that could contribute their cause in both attacking and defending property.

• For example, Black Legion has lands covered with many streams, rivers and shallow water while JK has access to deeper forests and MR has a more hill and mountainous regions and scarce woodlands.

- Encourage more players to actually form player made kingdoms and successfully withhold them for a longer period, it should be worth it and today it isn’t. As a player made kingdom you should be able to submit your own architectural style, clothing, horse tabards, sails and most of all rename titles after their own wishes. More player made kingdoms means more frequent events, more capturable towers and higher risk of open conflict and competition.

- Every kingdom should receive it’s own PvP, PvE and KvK missions that could be done as solo, grouping or with an army. The bigger these missions are; the greater are rewards. Titles, masks, shoulder pads, coats or even a cape could be the possible item reward.

GENERAL:

- Players cannot pledge alliegence more than twice to a kingdom. It would be good to have such a skill penalty for those who choose to switch kingdoms on their third time and that a major one.

- Reduce skillgain speed by a 1/8th would do good.

PERSONALLY:

I left the game when Challenge was released.
It feelt that you’ve abandoned Epic entirely and I’m up for all major changes regarding Epic and hope really you remove those “home servers†because otherwise Epic isn’t fully a ‘open-world sandbox experince’ since the world contain several worlds or servers. Smash the servers together into one major map and bring more conflict and force other kingdoms to it’s knees. That's the only way it should be done.

Edited by Ethrilon

There are a lot of good ideas, but many get lost in the arguments.

Need a way to combine popular ideas so Rolf doesn't have to read through the junk.

• Like 2

There are a lot of good ideas, but many get lost in the arguments.

Need a way to combine popular ideas so Rolf doesn't have to read through the junk.

Edited by Wossoo

So,

there has been suggestions about Elevation receiving a (map) reset for quite a while now. The population on Epic doesn't seem helped by the Challenge servers and Epic is dwindling not fulfilling it's potential.

Please make suggestions on how you think we could change Elevation and possibly the other Epic servers in order to make them more interesting.

A combination of a new Elevation map more like the Dominance map (possibly one size larger?), increasing skillgain on Epic to 1/8th to 1/2 of the Challenge skillgain rate, as well as adding some Challenge prices to Epic Scenarios maybe would revive Epic?

Some version of the central depot spawns and possibly the odd treasure chest on Elevation could be interesting as well.

That said, our next focus is bringing bridges to you!

/Rolf

Elevation for sure needs a bigger map(size of wild) and with similar topography - Elevation and dominance share the same issues (too small and too flat) - theres no point in roaming, building war deeds, or protecting settlers on a map where a trip from one capital to another takes 7 minutes maximum using speed traited hell horse and 70/70 horse gear... We need a bigger map with inland water(not affiliction style puddles), mountains, canyons and other natual fortifications we can use to protect our lands and new people who wanna settle on. Also costs of hiring a guard needs to be lowered - spirit guards are usually the only solution for fresh groups to be independent on a PvP server. Whenever is see some small group of players who wanna live on ele in their own deed i know they will be gone in maximum 2 months - joining a bigger deed should not be a solution, some ppl don't like each other, some want to live with few old friends etc - but paying 30s per month for 10 guards is something rather unrealistic for newcomers. With a bigger map, where new or casual pvp players can live(breed horses etc) on their own with relatively higher sense of security behind front lines(just like people who play freedom style wurm in vicinity of Kyara on Wild) elevation and epic will be thrilling again.

Above of that we need some unique to epic features - since all of them were given to Wild we need some new ones - like Atazoth's lordships, like new buildings and siege mechanic from challenge... We all know challenge was a failure... we knew it will be before first session started and we are sure after second session which despite being free of charge premium server with potentialy high rewards couldnt attract more ppl than Golden Valley years ago - so lets move all challenge features to epic and close this failed project. Ofc without scale / sorcery tomes droping out of the box and other similar nonsenses).

Changing skill gains on epic is a really bad idea... tbh it will be a disaster to current server population. Closing home servers is also a bad idea just because they are the only really working and liked epic feature i can recall.

One thing more... it might be a very controversial idea but i thought how to link pvp and pve community in wurm - but not in usual way like forcing pve players into pvp or changing their gamestyle too much. I often hear from pvp'ers they dont care about people who doesn't pvp or even that they don't respect them at all... How about implementing a kind of "item sink" then? Just like it works in EVE Online? For example: in case of pvp death all common items(not including rare/supreme, moon metal or drake items) are destroyed or their quality is halved? It may not only revive trading and economy but also create a stronger/symbiotic bond between communities... allowing PvE players to contribute much more to their kingdom, earning much of respect - without unsticking them from their forges and forcing them to fight.

• Like 1

Reset all of epic MAP please not the emphasis on map, do not take away those hard earned characters. Give them a notice like  you did with affliction. Hand make a map like you did with the recent challenge. Make it about 1/2 the size of xanadu, with equal 3 sides for each main kingdom, have 3 more sides in between for player made kingdoms, and a big free for all in the middle. In the middle of the middle would be a non modifiable hota zone.

Then do away with challenge. Do events on epic for rewards. Have the rewards go as coupons like challenge so the freedomers can join in and take their cute little statues home.

Make it premium only (sorry but alt abuse just plain requires this).

Do not increase the skillgain for the new Epic. While it would be cool and nifty, it would be completely unfair to the folks who have earned their skills/stats there already.

Lets face it, there are a hundred or so regulars on epic (if that) they do not need 4 maps.

Edited by Whatthetruck
  • Like 1

I play on epic, and being away from the main server (elevation) is a great thing sometime!! I would like to say, to help newcomers and make the game more interesting:

Make a better tutorials explaining what is epic vs freedom

Make better Main deed, they are ugly...

An area that newcomer will be safe and will not get in front of a troll and die!

Lower the skill needed to ride a horse! you can go away from almost any mobs on a horse!

I love PvP, but I also like when i can build sometime wihtout any other kingdom laying around!

I got the best place, I need to defend my spot when I need to, but if I want to pvp, I can go on another server to make an epic war!!

The way Epics server are places and how it work sound perfect to my ears, I started playing 4 months ago, and I decided to play on epic. Attracted me so much more than freedom.

I really like the idea of a larger map.

I was introduced to Wurm Online during the last beta map. There were no horses, no large carts, no boats. This made the map seem extremely larger than it was. I compare it to Xanadu in terms of time spent going from A to B. I was intrigued because of the vast lands I could explore. I would just wander around pretty much all day, it was pretty ###### amazing for never playing a sandbox game before. I was hooked.  As Wurm expanded, the map sizes decreased and this caused a lot of issues deeding lands and petty fights over clay pits. In my opinion, Xanadu was a long time coming. It's a shame PVP wasn't implemented with something like this. 

I'm all for a PVP map the size of Xanadu, but for it to be successful you need to implement Challenge features to Epic. 

I'm going to try and explain my vision.

The map would be separated into zones.  To encourage players to  explore these zones, implement challenge features once a month in random zones. These may require players to build war deeds  throughout the map to be successful. 

Challenges can be a wide array of scenarios or events. These challenges/scenarios will  be religion focused. Win hotas, build pillars, statues, kill pigs, I don't know, someone more creative can figure it out.

(I stole this from a different thread. It's to show what I mean about zones)

YeFegRO.jpg

• Remove pillars, craters and volcanoes. Small cracks in the terrain are fine, but don't ruin everything
  • To help newer folks out, enforce a non pvp zone (or nerfed pvp) around starter towns. This can be like 100x100 tiles. To push players away from this area, you can implement a champion type effect so skill gain is lost when spending too much time in that area.  
Edited by Entendu
  • Like 3

One idea to encourage pvp would be Wurm sponsored PVP events. 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. Enforce a buy in and the winner takes all.

So,

there has been suggestions about Elevation receiving a (map) reset for quite a while now. The population on Epic doesn't seem helped by the Challenge servers and Epic is dwindling not fulfilling it's potential.

Please make suggestions on how you think we could change Elevation and possibly the other Epic servers in order to make them more interesting.

A combination of a new Elevation map more like the Dominance map (possibly one size larger?), increasing skillgain on Epic to 1/8th to 1/2 of the Challenge skillgain rate, as well as adding some Challenge prices to Epic Scenarios maybe would revive Epic?

Some version of the central depot spawns and possibly the odd treasure chest on Elevation could be interesting as well.

That said, our next focus is bringing bridges to you!

/Rolf

Just chiming in here, hearing about this thread. Haven't played for a while since things became stale. Whatever you do, don't alter the skillgains. You changed your idea about epic once when deciding not to reset. Now people have spend lots of time on raising their skills, expecting their hard work to be rewarding and stay rewarding. Altering it now is out of the question. And even then, with the curve and all, the skillgain is completely fair in my opinion.

Treasure chests can be fun, reward roaming.

A spawn depot can work aswell, holding it rewarding you with high quality processed ores or something.

Do however, if you want to be bold:

-Consider turning ele open for f2p. While either keep the skillcap the same, making it higher or outright removing it.

-Restarting elevation with a new larger map, while removing the homeservers. If needed add some natural barriers to help protect those who prefered living on homeservers.

-Make sure the new island has many rivers deep rivers flowing through it, promoting both naval and foot combat.

-Alter the way local works, perhaps lower the range enemies show up, or remove it entirely.

-Have people with <20fs show up in a different color in local and when hovered over with the mouse.

-Alternatively: have people with <20fs who wander in enemy lands no be capable of seeing who is in local.

Edit: been too long, I forgot that spy alts ussualy are the same kingdom. But if local were to dissapear spy alts would be no concern.

-implement the various toys that are currently in challenge

-change the hota scoring system so EVERYONE participating is rewarded, whetever you die or not.

If money is a concern:

Jack up deed prices/guard prices. Relying on premium doesn't work well  these days in the fully f2p dominated market.

You already have a cashshop and moneydraining deeds anyway, luring fresh blood and keeping them is far more important.

Just my two coppers.

Edited by GroeneAppel
  • Like 1

The core question was about suggestions to fix epic. Now all I see are people wanting to shut down tons of servers. I remember what it was like living on just freedom with no other server but wild. IT SUCKED.

Keep what we have, don't delete servers but fix all the broken stuff with epic. There have been many suggestion threads begging Rolf to fix the problems there. Just do it and don't add any new servers. Fix what we have, deletion is just the stupidest idea ever.

There are many things that can be done to epic without any drastic changes.

-Disable combat nerf on home serwers.

-Make people go out of their deeds to do something - major god mission changes - this killing animals and rituals on towers is stupid. More  things like go to enemy capitol local and do something there.(for 5 minutes) , spawn more unique resources on the map but make some accessible by all (on hota for example) and some only by kingdom ( and lets say glimmer for mr spawns on jk  terrain ), missions like kill some enemy players...., add some additional rewards for completing missions for whole kingdom like + 0.00001% skill gain for a day if mission is done.

-Make towers/battle camps a little bigger structures like small war deeds that can be raided /defended and make them add some real value to the kingdom that caps it(the current one is not good enough)

-Add this new siege stuff to make sieges more entertaining

- maybe killing enemy players should add some money to kingdom coffers

- add some pvp events like i dont know protect a caravan ? you need to take a crate from point A to B and enemies are informed when you left point A with it and what the point B is.(when you deliver you can open the create and there is some equip there if enemies take it same for them)

Rolf, you promise alot and deliver less, where are the bridges, new boats, fight improvements etc ?

Next, implement stuff to encourage crafters and settlers to come and play on elevation.

Missions on enemy home server should give buff for god, missions on the home server is more difficult ( only build gate,temple etc, craft and slay the monster ), elevation missions easier ( without crafting, slay monster and building ).

End:

1. Make creating PMK more easy, and additionally allow PMK to form an alliance with MR/JK/BL/neutral 

2. Make  hota perimeter larger, so that people cannot build inside and outside hota, and on the borders, clean out the hota craters.

3. Local chat ( elevation ) range should be shortened by half.

4. Disable /who command on epic cluster !!!! 

5. Disable api for external applications for viewing how much people are on each server to prevent cross-alerting programs on epic !!!!
  • Like 1

any deed that is deleted the player needs cash as it costs loads of money to make and run a deed you cant just delete ppls work and money away our deed owes me £470 as we pay for 2 prem acc and the deed costs £70 to setup and £8 a month upkeep if deleted I and many others will be in uproar and leave

Edited by redfive

I don't really know why new map keeps coming up, a new map won't solve anything but kill off existing invested players.  A new map doesn't fix any core issues that drove people away from the game.  If things like cr nerfs on home servers is truly an issue, remove it.  Who cares, you're still going to slaughter noobs, and you're still going to get slaughtered if caught by real defenders

There are groups of people that shouted nonstop saying there has to be map/skill resets to keep interests, and they quit and then play challenge, and then quit that too crying it's still the same game despite it being what they said epic should be.  And challenge itself seems to be dwindling in numbers each time and as time passed on.

Leave the things alone that would make players leave, and focus on the core issues instead.  Client being able to handle large groups in local without crashing or lagging, memory leak, pvp tweaks and fixes, valrei, holes in the ground, etc

• Like 4

Part of the problem is that Wurm still has issues and bugs that have been around for a while, and new, polished sandbox games are out or coming soon. For a potential new player a question is "why play Wurm with this new stuff?"  I once asked a friend in my game dev group to consider giving Wurm a try. He got back to me later and said, after reading through the news posts, to get back to him when the game is out of beta and ready for release.  I think part of the problem isn't just Epic vs other servers, it is Wurm vs the newer sandboxes.

I have suggested this before, bit the post just disappeared, so I will try again:

Put together a 2nd dev team, get them up to speed on Wurm, then get them building Wurm 2.0 in (my suggestion) Unity 3D WHILE you continue whichever direction with the current version. It is Java and C based, and most of your models should transfer without too much trouble. I bet most of the graphics issues would be resolved by doing this. Wurm is a good old house trying to compete with the new houses by adding a fresh coat of paint, but underneath the new paint is still the old house....

An epic map reset? (and just maps, not characters - that's another issue)  You need to make sure to refund the establishment cost of the deed, both the deed cost and the work done (which is a tough but doable problem) or you will lose even more players. If you have it in your mind that a map reset on epic if the solution, the consider that all 4 epic maps are the same size as Xanadu, maybe integrating them into 1 large map with "home regions" instead of home servers could solve some of the problems.